Great sayings....Name yours....

krisb

Don Chipp, who you should remember Kris, came out with a great saying when his new party won its first seat in the senate in Australia in 1978. When asked about how he felt holding the balance of power, Chipp famously said: "We'll keep the bas tards honest." I've held that saying to my heart ever since.

• Like 2

The other one, I kept hearing is "Beware of the Greeks bearing gifts"

So, I stopped giving presents in my life to shut them upthumbsup.gif

Seeeeeeee........I told you.........didn't even have the time to complete my post..........had to edit this.

Edited by Costas2008

My dad had. A few sayings "never put your head above the parapet" and "don't leave footprints" or in other words keep a low profile , it stood me in good stead throught my life

And never say"if only"

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 1

One I read on ThaiVisa.com.... One posters signature...

"Never look another man in the eye while eating a banana!"

And another I read somewhere in relation to ladyboys.

"If you don't look down its not gay!"

The first made me laugh.png

The second made me bah.gif

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. -various

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality. -Ayn Rand

Where there is evidence, no one speaks of faith. We do not speak of faith that two and two are four, or that the Earth is round. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence. -Bertrand Russell

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. -Groucho Marx

• Like 1

Frank Zappa was responsible for some great ones.

'If you want to get laid go to college. If you want an education, go to the library'.

'There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over'

'My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can'.

"Success: To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the

affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of

false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit

better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to

know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have

succeeded!" —Ralph Waldo Emerson on Success

"Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet." —Ralph Waldo

Emerson on Thoughts

"Happiness is a perfume which you cannot pour on someone without getting some on

yourself." —Ralph Waldo Emerson on Happiness

Sorry for the copy and paste - I never did find the one I was looking for.....At one time I had his complete works (still have) and thought I understood/grasped them pretty well - they say that no man is completely educated until he understands the works of RWE....sadly, it's been years since I last re-read his genius....

After reading some of these quotes and remembering the illuminating essays and observations - I need to revisit my friend RWE.....

Thanks for starting this thread.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Life is like a cucumber; just when you think you've got it in your hand, it's up your arse.

i was told that is only two words in Turkish, but I am sceptical on that latter point.

It's not really an expression I've ever found relevant or helpful, either

SC

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

what can you expect from a pig except grunting...

Put lipstick on a pig you end up with a pig wearing lipstick.

(just to keep with the pig theme....................wink.png )

• Like 1