Is calling someone a monkey an insult in Thailand?

fitfalang

Is referring to someone as a monkey or "the monkey" considered an insult or not in Thailand?

I've learned in Thailand that some words aren't insults in the same way as in Western countries, e.g. "fat" could be someones nickname who's got a few extra kilos and if you called someone a "pig" they wouldn't take it the same way - "pigs are cute".

Just thinking hypothetically*, is calling someone a monkey offensive?

*not really.. someone keeps calling me "the monkey" and it's getting on my nerves lol!

I'm told that one Thai delegation talking amongst themselves in Thai was overheard by a member of a Malaysian delegation to refer to the Malaysian delegation as monkeys. The Thais had to apologise.

In short, yes, it is generally offensive. However, remember that an injured Thai may come back mob-handed.

they grow up with all the name-calling around them, what with many nicknames being some acronysm of another.

Be a bit funny calling a grown adult a 'moolek' though, even if he still is the youngest of the brood forthe rst of his life.

I think what you are getting at is whether it is seen as a racial slur? In my experience it is not. I used to call my sister in law a monkey because she liked to climb trees (long ago). We both tease her daughter when I take her to feed the forest monkeys. We tell her that I am taking her to see her real parents. I also had a girl refer to herself as a monkey a couple of weeks ago because she has been working up in the trees at her orchard.

The context and relationship are important. It could be an insult or playful banter depending on the situation but the Thai people I know have never seen it as a racial slur. Obviously someone who has had it used as a racial slur against them might be inclined to see it as one even if it was not intended that way.

Farangs (Tim207 shakes head) :-)

• Like 1

Thais probably have a different perception of monkeys than we do, since they meet them more often.

In my experience, monkeys are not the cheerful, cheeky little chaps that we fondly imagine, but rather vicious thieving little bastarts, worse than pikeys.

SC

SC I thought you were American. Are there Pikeys in America now?

I shout "Get off the road, ye thieving gypsy bastarts" at the monkeys, and that seems to offend them; they bare their teeth, and sometimes they bare their bums at me, which, I understand, is a challenge to a fight in some of the islands beyond Indonesia, the intention being to show that one has no scars on one's buttocks, from which one is supposed to infer that the buttock-barer never runs away from a fight.

It's not something I would do, personally, in a social situation, even if I was looking for a fight. But then, I don't have shiny bald buttocks, like some of the monkeys round our way

SC

Thais probably have a different perception of monkeys than we do, since they meet them more often.

In my experience, monkeys are not the cheerful, cheeky little chaps that we fondly imagine, but rather vicious thieving little bastarts, worse than pikeys.

SC

SC I thought you were American. Are there Pikeys in America now?

They're all over, mate. Wherever there's hub caps, you'll find them. I mean, wherever there's no hub caps, you'll never find them... well, I'm sure you understand...

Nothing wrong with knackers.

I think what you are getting at is whether it is seen as a racial slur? In my experience it is not. I used to call my sister in law a monkey because she liked to climb trees (long ago). We both tease her daughter when I take her to feed the forest monkeys. We tell her that I am taking her to see her real parents. I also had a girl refer to herself as a monkey a couple of weeks ago because she has been working up in the trees at her orchard.

The context and relationship are important. It could be an insult or playful banter depending on the situation but the Thai people I know have never seen it as a racial slur. Obviously someone who has had it used as a racial slur against them might be inclined to see it as one even if it was not intended that way.

Farangs (Tim207 shakes head) :-)

When I first came to Thailand I was told to never equate a person with an animal here as it is very offensive.

I was surprised then, on my first day on the job, when an older Thai lady came up to me; looked at my arm hair; pointed at me and said "you same same monkey"

I had to hold my tongue; as I wanted to answer "yes, but your face looks like a gorilla" (which it did)

Edited by Eliot Rosewater

here often used for slim teenager who are hyperactive.....often as "baby monkey" luk ling.

Not the nicest thing to say, but no terrible insult. Because monkey is not ugly.

Bad animals are buffalo (idiot).

Lizard: bad person

dog

animal

not so bad:

pig

elephant

monkey

rat (mouse)

In general, of course....depending on the relation and context.....Often also on the area......If it is a joke or meant as insult....Lizard I never heard even as joke. So it must be the top of bad animals.

I tried the 'empty headed animal food trough wiper" one on my BIL after he got cut-off by a by a scooter.

He laughed, but had no idea what I was talking about...

But wifey like the idea of 'empty headed water buffalo', and now I get it put back on me

47 years ago the Mountain Tribe kids in the villages in the Phu Phan would rush up and rub my hairy arms and call me Ling Ling... I of course did not take insult ... they were just fascinated at this big hairy blue eyed guy - the likes of which they had never seem before... I remember it fondly...

SC

I dont know, the ones at the local monkey school are pretty cute apart from when they try to root your armw00t.gif

Culturally no. Funny how folks expect a traditional western insult to Africans to translate and apply. If you want the effect of calling someone of African descent a monkey, you'd need to call them a dog here. (here, they don't really apply the dog is man's best friend concept... while a typical monkey is agile and fast).

Edited by Heng

Culturally no. Funny how folks expect a traditional western insult to Africans to translate and apply. If you want the effect of calling someone of African descent a monkey, you'd need to call them a dog here. (here, they don't really apply the dog is man's best friend concept... while a typical monkey is agile and fast).

Dog is more used for someone aggressive (ma bah) or someone who speaks rude (bag ma) it is not so suitable as best insult.

Better "sad" which means animal (don't forget the I or A before) or "ia" (the lovely water monitor lizards which the Thai people don't like for any unknown reason).

Of course calling someone "Kwai" is also working....maybe the most popular insult. Calling someone buffalo has more the quality of calling him idiot.

I think all 3 are suitable to get a fight in a karaoke bar with drunk youngsters......Monkey may not work.

• Like 1

Dog is more used for someone aggressive (ma bah) or someone who speaks rude (bag ma) it is not so suitable as best insult.

Better "sad" which means animal (don't forget the I or A before) or "ia" (the lovely water monitor lizards which the Thai people don't like for any unknown reason).

Of course calling someone "Kwai" is also working....maybe the most popular insult. Calling someone buffalo has more the quality of calling him idiot.

I think all 3 are suitable to get a fight in a karaoke bar with drunk youngsters......Monkey may not work.

If you need an insult to start a fight with drunk young boys in the karaoke, you're not doing it right

SC