Corrupt ‘government officials’ selling public beachfront in Pattaya, top Chonburi official claims -

Rimmer

In Jomtien they have reduced the size of the chair areas which are usually well managed so there is finally some space between the chairs and the water. The government should be charging a reasonable rent for these concessions which are heavily used by tourists,

• Like 2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Jomtien they have reduced the size of the chair areas which are usually well managed so there is finally some space between the chairs and the water. The government should be charging a reasonable rent for these concessions which are heavily used by tourists,

That's a wonderful idea, but.....The "officials" could care less about anything except what tea money is in it for them.

What you suggest is (I will say again) a great idea, however, it will require an entire paradigm shift in the mentality of graft & corruption that has flourished for decades, if not centuries in Thailand.

The Junta could, maybe stomp their boots a WHOLE lot harder than they are doing right now.

The country is blatantly, obviously, not ready for any kind of democracy.

Behind every 'official' smile is a gazillion lies.

Just own up to the fact that you are STUPID, and learn.......Yeah, right, one can dream, no?

-----no offense meant to the OP...You are not stupid. I meant that as a theoretical statement.

Edited by jaywalker

Pattaya authorities opt to make changes to avoid NCPO intervention - here's the process

Hold a meeting with top local officials and discuss

Report to NCPO "we held a meeting and everything is moving"

Hold a meeting to discuss the outcome of last meeting (which was to report to NCPO that we held a meeting)

Report to NCPO "we held a meeting to discuss reporting the last meeting" everything going as planned

Hold another meeting to report on report to NCPO that we held a meeting

Report to NCPO "we have now had three meetings"

Hold another meeting to discuss the report of the meeting report of the previous meeting and report to NCPO

Send in the hit team from Phuket and sort this lot out

plus a photo shoot now and again warning the jet ski mafia :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Prayuth appears not to be interested now that he has discovered "Foreign Travel" Pity he never got to Samui before he lost interest in the beach enroachment problem.

Well that's one more negative comment from you and no doubt you will turn everything into a negative.

That's a wonderful idea, but.....The "officials" could care less about anything except what tea money is in it for them.

You should read a bit more of what happened in Phuket

If the Junta is not happy with Pattaya city work about beaches (and right now they are far to be happy),

they will use the same methods smile.png

OH THANK YOU FOR THE TIP / SENIOR OFFICIAL /

My first thought in your position should be to expose that or those Government official (Sad to say though your tip might not be cash rewarded or a promotion) thats the duty of every honest citizen to stop such fowl business. Well. I hope that the Military would hear or see your report. Good luck and well done!

Agree but I am afraid Thai Law would need to be changed. I am not sure I can fully get my mind around the difference between farang and Thai slander/libel law. As a weak minded faring, it seems to me, if i call you a thief or crook and you are one...there is no slander/libel (you caused yourself lose of face, not by my calling you something in truth). If I do the same and you are innocent, then you take me to court and sue me for loss of face (reputation). As written, Thai law seems to me only to protect those that need to be exposed for wrong doing. How does the junta expect to get around this or are we to fall back on not what is right to clean up corruption but rather simply, who has the greater power and cannot be challenged?

Cabbages & Condoms Resort Pattaya has moved it's walls out and taken more and more beach over the years.

A tree on the beach, which I used to sit in the shade of, is now within their walls!

When the tree was still outside the original walls, the last time I went to sit beneath it (maybe 3+ years ago) a C&C security man made me leave! So much for 'public beach'. TIT etc.

I bet this has come as a bit of a surprise to the Junta government officials involved in corruption this would deserve a good verbal warning and a 500Baht fine and dont do it again or else next time it could be double the first fine, that would soon put a stop to it.

OH THANK YOU FOR THE TIP / SENIOR OFFICIAL /

My first thought in your position should be to expose that or those Government official (Sad to say though your tip might not be cash rewarded or a promotion) thats the duty of every honest citizen to stop such fowl business. Well. I hope that the Military would hear or see your report. Good luck and well done!

Too chicken to report the fowl business since the coop?

Edited by laobali

I own a very expensive condo on the beach next to Pattaya Park. The last time I tried to sit on the beach I was informed that the vendor owned the space and I was to get away before he would assault me. So much for the beach cleanup in Pattaya

Expensive is relative...what you might you call expensive might be pocket change to someone else.

What do you call expensive? Just curious. You could be Warren Buffet or Bill Gates for al I know. Or Joe Blow from Rotheram.

Most farangs know that all the beaches are public property so shouldn't Thai people know this as well ? blink.png

That's the case in Oz but I believe you can actually own beaches in the US - given that I never even set foot on the sand here in Sin City it's all academic for me. I've read stories of surfers being shot at in Northern California for straying onto privately owned beachfront land.

http://www.kqed.org/w/coastalclash/recreation.html

In all, about 42 percent of the terrestrial coastline is publicly owned and accessible land. The other 58 percent is owned privately, or is held by federal, state or local governments. Although it is often difficult to distinguish between public and private land when you are walking on the beach, a general rule of thumb is that the public always has the right to walk on the wet sand.

In reply to pPiPiff I am sure many of these vendors were given "official" bills of sale so protecting them from being kicked out once they had paid the relevant people their backhanders same same jetski scammers who get their backup from piad officers.

Thais unfortunately do not have the benefit of a western style education so once they are given then go ahead by an "Official" they arent going to pass up the chance of earning for themselves and thier families