MS Mallcious Software Removal Tool

THAIPHUKET

Would you care to elaborate? Why would MS TOOL be inferior?

It's not inferior, it's just not 100% - none of them are.

And how can they be?

Malware has been around for more than 40 years, but according to a report from Panda Security 20 percent of all of the malware that's ever existed was created in 2013. That’s the equivalent of 30 million new malware threats in one year, or about 82,000 per day.

• Like 1

So what you are saying is even a brand new PC plus the latest Anti Virus, Anti-Spy does not mean that at the of end day one in operation I still have a virgin PC?

Should there not be some Info out, that after a full scan with this MS tool , empirical evidence is = there is only a X% chance that my PC is still infested?

one problem with most scanners are that if they delete the spyware that is used by advertisers they are sued for interfering with legitimate trade. Things like the ones used on this site and many others to enable targeted advertising so few can do a completely clean job. The criteria varies between the firms but a freeware spyware package often does better at this.

Edited by harrry

Dennis Technology Labs.pdf - Anti-Malware Reports

I stopped using MSE several months ago and now use Qihoo 360, also spelled Qihu.

It doesn't hang the PC like MSE used to do but often needs to be told more than once that a particular file should be put on the "whitelist".

Apart from that, I've had no problems with it.

The MS Malicious Software Removal Tool only removes specific threats, it does not claim to remove all threats.

It is an on demand scanner (not working in real time) and is a 'Removal Tool' ie you have already been infected. I prefer a real time scanner (take your pick free or paid) which hopefully is a 'prevent me from getting infected tool'

That said, if you do think you have been infected by one of the nasties that this tool specifically removes then it should be effective.

The Windows defender does real time scanning the MS Malicious softwarere tool is a program downloaded by Windows update which then automatically gives a full scan as a check.

Agree with Harry on both counts - as well as having the Windows defender running at all times, I also have Norton Internet Security running at all times. MS Malicious software tool runs when my MS updates run.

I also recommend the running of MalawareBytes Anti-Malware and Trend HouseCall, both from time to time. These latter 2 are free, by the way.

Any combination (or in my case all) should keep your computer "disinfected" - still no guarantees though! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

And before anyone asks - YES - I am a paranoid Geek! smile.png

I'd recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit too, and occasionally run their anti-rootkit program.

Just to clarify, with all the other programs I run as listed above, it's the free version of Malawarebytes that I run - looks like the attached screenshot:

post-30368-0-78992700-1413649357_thumb.j

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1