Hong Kong expats are more beautiful

JohnnyJazz

Singapore is Asia lite a sort of tropical Chelsea it depends what you are looking for. The gated communities along Srinakarindra actually have a lot of Thai's living there as well. Downtown Sukhumvit is hardly a taste of real Thailand it is horses for courses depends what you are looking for and Thailand offers it all. Speaking as someone who lived many years in North Africa and the Middle East the whole experience is a breath of fresh air, very glad to experience it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, the expats that you have seen must have been in the business district.

Try going to Silvermine Bay on Lantau island or Llama Island, where a lot of the long term ex-pats live and you will see a totally different picture.

Or if that doesn't open your eyes, book to stay in Chungking Mansions for a couple of nights.

It's the lap of luxury that Chungking Mansions place.

HEARTBREAK MOTEL - Homer & Jethro
Now down at the Heartbreak Motel, my room it was so small,
Now every time that I would smile, my teeth would touch the wall.
Now I’m a-turnin’, and a-yearnin’
Down at the Heartbreak Motel.
I went up to the manager. he looked at me and said,
“You can have a room, but you will have to make your bed.”
I said, “That’s ok, buddy. I learned that from my ma.”
Then he reached out and handed me a hammer and a saw.
I’m a-nailin’, and a-wailin’
Down at the Heartbreak Motel.
Now I picked up the telephone, the manager said, “hello.”
He said, “What’s eatin’ you?” I said, “That’s what I’d like to know,
‘Cause I’m a-itchin’, and a-scratchin’
Down at the Heartbreak Motel.”
Now down at the Heartbreak Motel, you can have a room with bath.
At home, we only got one room, and it’s just got a path.
It’s outside plumbin’. It’s unbecomin’.
It’s really out of this world.
The waiter in the dining room, filled my heart with cheer.
Said I would enjoy it 'cause I could eat dirt cheap here.
And he was so right, it was my last night.
And now I'm checking out of here!!!!

Yes but they need to work to survive !!! In Thailand anyone who was not retarded before his 40' is able to live many years without working and have a more relax life...

Is there an age barrier to being retarded??

Interesting article from the SouthChina Morning Post (Hong Kong)

China has biggest share of high-earning expats, HSBC survey reveals http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1622435/china-has-biggest-share-high-earning-expats-hsbc-survey-reveals

Surprisingly Thailand is in front of Hong Kong (10) at No. 7

For those wondering how much earns an expat, according to the HSBC it is "those who earn more than US$250,000 a year." Or about THB 700,000 a month. Teaching suddenly lost a lot of its attraction wink.png

Edited by JohnnyJazz

China has biggest share of high-earning expats, HSBC survey reveals http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1622435/china-has-biggest-share-high-earning-expats-hsbc-survey-reveals

For those wondering how much earns an expat, according to the HSBC it is "those who earn more than US$250,000 a year." Or about THB 700,000 a month. Teaching suddenly lost a lot of its attraction wink.png

You're right, interesting article...thanks for that. Although it does blow your OP out of the water regarding "quality expats," if pay is any indication. I'll concede that working, professional expats aside, Thailand does attract some real sad cases in terms of foreigners. So it seems you were comparing apples to oranges. HK simply won't attract these same types of bottom-feeders because of the cost of living. If the majority of expats in Thailand were working professionals, then it would be more of a fair comparison. But even then, our expats would compare favorably.

How many Digital Pikeys in Hong Kong?

Why do they abound in Thailand?

Usually posting on here wanting to know where they can source X Y or Z tac and crap they can flog to gullible punters back home on E bay.

My last run in with one of these entrepreneurs was as he was trying to buy a load of DVDs from some back soi shop in the Panthip Plaza he could flog, he mentioned something like, they sell like hot cakes mate.

The type usually found at Billericay market, they are referred to as barrow boys or independant traders back home, as soon as they hit these shores they reinvent themselves and suddenly are digital nomads, pikeys the lot of them.

In Hong Kong they used to stay in Chungking Mansion, a lot of African and Indian. Nowadays most have moved to Guangzhou and Yiwu. Some of them who are well organized can make very decent money.

You're right, interesting article...thanks for that. Although it does blow your OP out of the water regarding "quality expats," if pay is any indication. I'll concede that working, professional expats aside, Thailand does attract some real sad cases in terms of foreigners. So it seems you were comparing apples to oranges. HK simply won't attract these same types of bottom-feeders because of the cost of living. If the majority of expats in Thailand were working professionals, then it would be more of a fair comparison. But even then, our expats would compare favorably.

Perhaps Hong Kong is now self-sufficient in executive talent, and, indeed, exports ex-pats - particularly to China, though I suppose working in the Motherland is not exactly being expat.

At least one of our expat HKers has left our project to take up a post in Bangkok

SC

Most young expats in HK are IFA's would you really want to hang out with them?

I met a few of them at meetings organized by chambers of commerce or other similar professional organization. They walk around annoying everybody giving their name card and trying to get yours. They usually don't survive very long, most of them go back home when they tourist visa expires. The lucky ones find a job as sales for international forwarders, which is the expat equivalent of used car salesman. But here we are really scratching the bottom of the expat world.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Can't comment on beauty. But as a former MultiNational Corporation (MNC) expat I know that Bangkok has historically not been chosen as a regional hub for most MNCs. This is why the foreign professionals in Bangkok have been very few and of a "lower level" if you like.

I do think this is slowly changing though as Bangkok improves its infrastructure, health care and international schooling. Some smaller MNCs are already starting to go for Bangkok instead of KL or even Singapore. A stable comeback of Myanmar could accelerate this trend.

The money on the whole is much higher in HK, and their requirements are a lot more demanding (must have degree and be royal charterd etc). I only worked there for about a week doing a favour for the HK department, and the expat community that I saw in various places certainly looked more refined than the BKK and JKT community where I lived. Probably because they can afford better clothes and a decent haircut... Guys on here complaining about an 800bt haircut in a proper traditional gentlemans barbers in the conrad, saying it is a 'rip off'.. So what do you expect. 100 baht with the clippers will do fine... Cheap Indian tailor suit.. Red 'booze face'as knobbly nose..

Presently in Hong Kong.... nice skyline but really haven't seen too many of the perfect people so far

You need to go to Soho. Just take the escalator from Central. Great wining and dining. Wanchai is the place if you want a bit of rough.

Edited by ATF

Presently in Hong Kong.... nice skyline but really haven't seen too many of the perfect people so far

You need to go to Soho. Just take the escalator from Central. Great wining and dining. Wanchai is the place if you want a bit of rough.

That bit of 'rough' as you so not so nicely put it is quite possibly going to be from Thailand and as for Wanchai itself, is now gentrifying which is not surprising given its location sanwiched by Admiralty and Causeway Bay. See you for drinks at The Pawn http://www.thepawn.com.hk/

That bit of 'rough' as you so not so nicely put it is quite possibly going to be from Thailand and as for Wanchai itself, is now gentrifying which is not surprising given its location sanwiched by Admiralty and Causeway Bay. See you for drinks at The Pawn http://www.thepawn.com.hk/

Nothing quite cuts it for me as much as The White Stag, especially if Michelle is in residence.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Nothing quite cuts it for me as much as The White Stag, especially if Michelle is in residence.thumbsup.gif

The White Stag became my favourite in Hong Kong when Johnnie went over, from the Stag's Head in TST

The White Stag became my favourite in Hong Kong when Johnnie went over, from the Stag's Head in TST

How is Johnny nowadays.

I remember them both best from the original White Stag in Canton Road (Johnny was just a barman then).

It was the most happening pub in TST, for ex-pats and tourists alike, it was the place to be.

It was just like Cheers, a place where everybody knows your name.

I even had a 'White Stag' tattoo just to earn my VIP card (I was younger and drunker then).

We used to go in sometimes and not leave for a couple of days.

Sadly around 96 the land owner pushed the rents up so high that Michelle had to move out.

Great memories but I was never sober enough to notice or remember whether the expats were prettier than their counterparts in Bangkok.

I remember them both best from the original White Stag in Canton Road (Johnny was just a barman then).

It was the most happening pub in TST, for ex-pats and tourists alike, it was the place to be.

I even had a 'White Stag' tattoo just to earn my VIP card (I was younger and drunker then).

Sadly around 96 the land owner pushed the rents up so high that Michelle had to move out.

Great memories but I was never sober enough to notice or remember whether the expats were prettier than their counterparts in Bangkok.

If memory serves me well, after the White Stag she opened Chasers in Knutsford Terrace, later an other bar in Wanchai I forgot the name then Insomnia in LKF. Are any of these place still open ?

If memory serves me well, after the White Stag she opened Chasers in Knutsford Terrace, later an other bar in Wanchai I forgot the name then Insomnia in LKF. Are any of these place still open ?

Don't remember Chasers.

The first bar that she opened after the White Stag was the Stag's Head in the aptly named Hart Avenue.

Blacksmith's arms and the Red Lion had also been closed down a few years before, so in essence the expat pubs in TST were gone (Ned's & the Kangaroo were never great locals).

Also, not really a drinking hole but Bottoms Up closed around the same time.

How old are you ? I remember these places but they were for the older generation.

I was young when I went there. biggrin.png

I agree that Bottoms Up was for the older generation (and Cathay pilots) but we did occasionally go in there because of the fame that it held, but to be honest it did disappoint every time.

I also remember the original LKF before Calvin (the Jock) bought out and closed a lot of the bars.

If I remember rightly there was Scotties and Mad Dogs, which were the most popular back then.

Edited by Chairman Of The Board