Urea

TheCruncher

Is liquid Urea or Nitrogen available in Thailand ?

I want to add Nitrogen to my lawn through my irrigation system, but am afraid that dissolving granular will clog the sprays.

Is it correct that adding Nitrogen to the lawn will give it a nice green color but will not necessarily increase the growth, as that is the result I want to achieve.

Advice appreciated.

Urea (Nitrogen) is important if you want a green lawn. Too much will burn it or lead to super lush growth that is difficult to cut. A lawn needs around 20- 30 grams of N per year and M2 but in the rainy season it will be washed away. Also, a lawn needs other elements than N, most fertilisers have three numbers written on the package as in for instance NPK 20 10 15.

I would find a fertiliser with approximately these numbers and apply it three or four times a year to get to 20 - 30gm /M2 per year. I can't imagine how you can calculate how much Urea to dose

• Like 2

Dosing should be no problem with a correctly set up irrigation system since every where get an equal amount of water.

So if you know the size of each zone, you also know how many gram fertilizer to add to the irrigation water for each zone.

It is something that is done everywhere in the world, but there liquid or water soluble fertilizers are available. Haven't seen them in my area.

OK, do that. I wonder how you will add the P and K. Buying a packet of granulate fertiliser is much easier. I got my certificate as lawn professional around 1980 and never heard of anyone regularly fertilising a lawn this way, not saying that it isn't possible. I had a customer that foolishly applied a pure nitrogen fertiliser as you seem determined to do and we had big problems cutting that lawn and the customer thought that we were deliberately wasting time. .(The mower had to be really sharp and even then it was difficult). The effect wore off quickly.

I have done quick fixes with a high N liquid fertiliser to get a lawn looking nice for a wedding reception. I reckon that that that is all that fertilising like this is good for, up to you.

I used 16-16-16 last year by hand casting the granules and it seemed to work ok but I still didn't get the green I was hoping for. This year I hand casted the urea granules and that resulted in a nice green lawn but be careful, it takes surprisingly little to create brown spots.

• Like 1

I know I can hand cast them, but that way it is easy to drop too much in a particular spot, while being liquid the spreading is equal.

Do a google for " fertilizing through irrigation system" and you'll surprised how many results you get.

Elsewhere liquid or water soluble fertilizers are widely available, nere in Thailand I haven't seen them, hence my question.

I would think you could find the smaller fertilizer spreaders that you push by hand as they spread fairly evenly on lawns. Its great if you can get a gentle soaking rain afterwards as the neutrents get to the plant system as intended. I have seen some of the rice farmers using a cloth sack with spreader attached and that seems to work for them.

I was brought up with a push/reel type lawn mower, on the farm we sure would not spend money to make something grow for zero return, thus the lawn was not considered for fertilizer. Granted I took care of my lawns in the city living, but leaned toward cement and flower gardens, less time consuming as well as more color.

Improvisation is one of the many things Thai people are good at.
Put a pre-filter on your irrigation system.
Use a pressure washer, they've got great filter systems on them.
One thing you will find, in abundance, in Thailand is good manners.
Regards.

• Like 2

Never seen fertilizer spreaders as well in Thailand.

You have to remember that you're in a country where you hardly can find a decent shovel or wheel barrow.

I finally found decent shovels with handles for normal sized people at Global House. Now if they could get bathroom doors sized a bit better.

You have to remember that you're in a country where you hardly can find a decent shovel or wheel barrow.

I finally found decent shovels with handles for normal sized people at Global House. Now if they could get bathroom doors sized a bit better.

Saw those shovels myself the other day, and also the separate handles.

But I think the handles are pinewood isn't it ? Not sure if they will last long time.

Regards.

I have a pre filter on my irrigation system, but last time I tried it out I had to clean every sprayhead, however I thought it was all dissolved.

I know I can hand cast them, but that way it is easy to drop too much in a particular spot, while being liquid the spreading is equal.

Do a google for " fertilizing through irrigation system" and you'll surprised how many results you get.

Elsewhere liquid or water soluble fertilizers are widely available, nere in Thailand I haven't seen them, hence my question.

Have a look at nanagarden.com.

"Is it correct that adding Nitrogen to the lawn will give it a nice green color but will not necessarily increase the growth, as that is the result I want to achieve"

Not correct. Nitrogen feeds vegetative growth.

Although not suitable for "fertigation" systems: My favorite for a quick-fix green-up of a grass lawn (with a big growth response) is Ammonium sulfate 21-0-0. The Nitrogen and Sulfur chemistry has a unique capability of releasing Calcium from the mineral soil too, which aids in color and growth response, cell wall strength, pest and disease resistance. Try a conservative amount: 2.5 kilos of the dry granular 21-0-0 per 100 square meters, to achieve a little over 1 lbs of actual Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft of soil surface, every 2 months during growing season.

But this is for short term effect and is not sustainable for years of fertilization and does not substitute for healthy growing conditions created by good soil preparation: soil testing and prescription mineral and biological amendments, including adequate organic matter content.

Mow the grass weekly during growing season so as not to take off more than 1/3 of blade surface each mowing, Mow high, 2 - 3 inches to preserve leaf surface for photosynthesis. You will have a healthier lawn this way.

Edited by drtreelove

Regards.

I have a pre filter on my irrigation system, but last time I tried it out I had to clean every sprayhead, however I thought it was all dissolved.

Did you use water soluble fertilizer?

An other way to DIY sprayer is to use a !/2" venturi fertilizer injector by you valve and

water you lawn with a hose while sucking the fertilizer into you hose.

I do the same thing, but mine is going through drip tape in the garden.

About Bt.300.

rice555

Think Super Products

Global House has them, 1/2" to 2".

• Like 1

I dissolve Urea into a 100 ltr tank at about four good hand fulls and then pump it through the small solo sprinkler from Homepro...

I also put the stuff through my other sprinklers and they dont block so far...as long as you make sure the mixture in the 100ltr tank is truly dissolved. Follow this with 15 minutes of straight water through the system and that cleans(seems) to flush out the residue in the sprinklers, cycle completed........

i discussed this with "Jesse Frank" a while back on a different thread...he had made a system like mine I think, and was testing at the time he was banned from TVF....anyone got a contact for him as i would like to know his progress with the system....PM me if you have.

Rgds

weegee

Mith phol sugar produces a liquid fertilizer called soil mate.

And where do you buy it?...

At any mitrphol factory,zone office or try mum and pop shops that sell mollasses.

Would say more avalible in the rural places,not so much holiday islands and bangkok areas.

They arent worth the money you would waste on them.....You are on the right track with your soluble solution through the sprinklers.....thumbsup.gif

I'll send you a sample of my upcoming invention....biggrin.png

Mith phol sugar produces a liquid fertilizer called soil mate.

And where do you buy it?...

At any mitrphol factory,zone office or try mum and pop shops that sell mollasses.

Would say more avalible in the rural places,not so much holiday islands and bangkok areas.

Thanks for that.....always looking for new ideas, and tricks.

Even though this has patchy results ... pissing.gif... it's free, and works.

But best not done in daylight or on windy nights.

'And if anyone has an interest.....

Yes, it's urea, and you throw litres of it away every day.

Humanure.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/251960-composting-compost-teas-and-humanure/

What happened to Jandtaa? 5 star gardener, top chef and top bloke.

• Like 1

I used 16-16-16 last year by hand casting the granules and it seemed to work ok but I still didn't get the green I was hoping for. This year I hand casted the urea granules and that resulted in a nice green lawn but be careful, it takes surprisingly little to create brown spots.

Klong is right. We ran out in the rain a couple of years back and spread urea like crazy all over the place. It didn't take long for the lawn to look like it was in terminal decline. Its ok now but lesson learnt - use the granules very sparingly.

Klong is right. We ran out in the rain a couple of years back and spread urea like crazy all over the place. It didn't take long for the lawn to look like it was in terminal decline. Its ok now but lesson learnt - use the granules very sparingly.

Tim, You must water Urea in straight after you have spread it on...close to flooding the area....delay a few hours and for sure you have burnt it..

Unforgiving stuff, if not applied right.....

Tim, You must water Urea in straight after you have spread it on...close to flooding the area....delay a few hours and for sure you have burnt it..

Unforgiving stuff, if not applied right.....

Also to add if granular urea is left on top of the soil in over about 35 degrees temperature.

A fair percentage will disipate to atmosphere.

• Like 1