Manchester City

mrbojangles

When are numpty nut dip sticks, gonna take their noses out of our usiness. Nobody said anything about the money Liverpool have spent over the years. Khaldoon Al - Mubarak has already stated that this kind of money will not be spent again but it needed to be done this year in an attempt to narrow the gap between City and the so called top 4.

The wealth that Mubarak has makes Hicks look like he's on minimum wages. Does Hicks seriously think Mubarak got that rich by not knowing the fundamentals of business. What a fekkin numpty.

From sky sports:-

Hicks - City must curb spending

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks insists Manchester City will have to curb their lavish transfer spending.

City are mounting a serious challenge to the Premier League's established elite and their new-look, star-studded squad has made a 100 per cent start to the new season.

Eastlands boss Mark Hughes has been given unprecedented funds which are the envy of his rival managers, but Hicks feels City's super-rich Middle East owners will be forced to tighten the purse strings.

"It's not sustainable at City, they won't continue to invest like that as it doesn't make good economic sense," Hicks said.

"Hopefully they will make the improvements they need to make and then run it more like a business. The smart clubs operate for the long term and you must look at who have had success for many years."

The Anfield outfit's American supremo, who recently saw the club's coffers bolstered with a £20million-a-year shirt sponsorship deal with Standard Chartered Bank, is keen to balance on-field success with off-field prudence.

"You have to look at cash flow rather than accounting and we intend to operate Liverpool where it has a very strong positive cash flow so we have the resources to be as competitive as possible on the pitch. That's our commitment," Hicks added.

"We had strong, positive cash flows last year. Our debt levels are at a very comfortable level and we are going to continue bringing it down.

"Our goal is to have less debt than any of the top clubs and that's a commitment we have made and will continue to make."

Hicks expects manager Rafa Benitez to be requesting funds from the recent sponsorship deal to improve his squad in the January transfer window and hopes further investment into the club will enable the board to approve further spending.

"Knowing Rafa Benitez, I suspect he's got his eye on part of it," he said.

"As we build our revenues it gives the ability to be more competitive on the pitch and this is a very important one, but we think we have other opportunities in the future as well."

From skysports:-

Toure relishing United clash

Kolo Toure says Manchester City are relishing taking on the city rivals United at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Big-spending City have made an impressive start to the new Premier League campaign, winning all four of their league games to date on the back of heavy strengthening during the close season.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side remain the team to beat having won the title for the past three seasons, although Toure believes City are full of confidence after dispatching Arsenal last weekend.

The Ivory Coast international insists City are desperate to crack the 'big four' and is predicting a fiercely-contested encounter.

"We're trying to get among the big four in this country," Toure told skysports.com. "We played well against Arsenal. To get three points against Arsenal was fantastic.

"No we have to go to Old Trafford and show our credentials. It'll be a difficult game for them and we're looking forward to playing.

"Man City will be a force this season because we have so many great and good players. Also we have so much experience."

Meanwhile, Toure has leapt to the defence of Emmanuel Adebayor, who has been hit with two FA charges in the wake of City's 4-2 win over Arsenal.

The Togo international has been charged with violent conduct for his challenge on Robin van Persie and has also been hit with an improper conduct charge for his goal celebration at Eastlands.

Toure believes his team-mate's apology should be the end of the matter, while he also thinks there was no malice in his challenge on Van Persie.

"Adebayor was crucial against Arsenal. He's already apologised and the matter is closed for us," he continued.

"He shouldn't be banned. The referee gave him a yellow card. The Van Persie incident was just an accident.

"We're behind him and he'll score so many goals this season because he's devoted to the club and he loves his football again."

I'm a bit worried about the game on sunday. Out of all the strikers we have on our books, it looks like Bellamy and Benjani are our only option. :)

Current Strikers:

Benjani

Craig Bellamy

Carlos Tevez (injured)

Robinho (injured)

Roque Santa Cruz (injured)

Emmanuel Adebayor (ban ?)

On Loan:

Valeri Bojinov (to Parma)

Jo (to Everton)

Felipe Caicedo (to Sporting Lisbon)

Edited by mrbojangles

I'm a bit worried about the game on sunday. Out of all the strikers we have on our books, it looks like Bellamy and Benjani are our only option. :D

Current Strikers:

Benjani

Craig Bellamy

Carlos Tevez (injured)

Robinho (injured)

On Loan:

Jo (to Everton)

New Signing:

Peter Kenyon :)

Correction. Even more worried now. How on earth we can go to OT and be attacking with only Bellamy, is beyond me. Sorry guys but I think this isn't going to be a classic derby.

Current Strikers:

Craig Bellamy

Benjani (injured)

Carlos Tevez (injured)

Robinho (injured)

On Loan:

Jo (to Everton)

Correction. Even more worried now. How on earth we can go to OT and be attacking with only Bellamy, is beyond me. Sorry guys but I think this isn't going to be a classic derby.

Current Strikers:

Craig Bellamy

Benjani (injured)

Carlos Tevez (injured)

Robinho (injured)

On Loan:

Jo (to Everton)

Although I hope you are right, somehow these types of things even themselves out. Unfortuneately for you though, our designated holder of red cards is suspended so hopes of us going down to 10 men will be left to Vidic I guess.

Is there anyone you can borrow from Rochdale to make up the numbers BJ ?

We wouldn't want another violent conduct charge now would we ken. The headlines would be "Shrek gets clattered by Clogg wearing, Ferret carrying, Blackpudding slapper" It works in Div 2 but not the Premier League :)

Is there anyone you can borrow from Rochdale to make up the numbers BJ ?

We wouldn't want another violent conduct charge now would we ken. The headlines would be "Shrek gets clattered by Clogg wearing, Ferret carrying, Blackpudding slapper" It works in Div 2 but not the Premier League :D

:)

Love It.

Reading on the brit sites the Tevez might make the match. Would be good to spice things up.

Hope so james. Despite rumours to the contrary, all those players have been definately injured, that's why they didn't even make the bench against Arsenal. Tevez is nearest to being fit again but if he does play, it looks more like we are bringing him back too early and out of desperation due to a depleted strike force really.

From the City site:-

Mark Hughes is in a confident mood ahead of Sunday's derby at Old Trafford.

The Blues go into the mouth-watering clash on the back of our straight league wins, with the most recent being courtesy of a scintillating performance against Arsenal.

The interest in the game has gone well beyond just the Manchester area, and the Manager is comfortable with the focus on his side given their eye-catching start to the season.

He said: "We are looking forward to the game, it's one that has captured everyone's imaginations. The interest surrounding it is greater than it's been in many, many years.

"We are going to enjoy it, it’s a challenge for us and one of the bigger challenges we will have. It’s about making sure that we give a good account of ourselves, because we are here to stay. We won't go away anytime soon, we are here to make a challenge and if we can that's what we will do.

But City will go into the game with a reduced number of strikers to choose from. Emmanuel Adebayor is the most high-profile enforced absentee, and media speculation on Friday morning surrounded a possible surprise comeback for Carlos Tevez, who picked up a knee injury on international duty.

On his options up front, Mark added: "Out of six strikers we have one fully fit. We have hopes on Carlos as an option, he joined in today but he has had no physical contact. He has not really tested the knee so we will have to do that before Sunday, but he is still a doubt."

The challenge presented by going to an arena he graced with distinction in his playing days is one that still stirs the Manager's blood,who is as excited by anybody about the prospects for Sunday.

"It really is a fantastic stage for top level football," he declared. "Everybody should be excited about going to a place like Old Trafford, it’s a great arena and a test when you go there.

"We hope to go there and give a good account of ourselves, and we feel we have the talent in the team that can exploit things in the game at any given time.

"There is huge respect for United and their ability to win key games over the years. But we go there in great shape, and you have to go to places like Old Trafford in good heart. Our confidence is high, we are a strong group and very together at the moment, which is a big help to us.

"We want to win, the fans demand that and we demand that of ourselves, so we are positive ahead of Sunday."

^^ Yeah, i've been thinking all along that all this business about City having nobody up front was just a ruse - mind games. Wouldn't mind betting that Tevez starts.

From highly doubtful to not only starting but playing the full 96 minutes! Impressive recovery indeed!

City fans i'm sure won't agree, but that was one of the best games i've ever seen. Reminded me of the Liverpool vs Newcastle classic.

The contenious amount of injury time will i'm sure be used by City fans as the reason for the loss, and whilst i accept that it was a generous amount if time, it shouldn't be overlooked that either team could have used that time to win the game.

Man of the match for me was Bellamy. He was brilliant.

Edited by rixalex

The contenious amount of injury time will i'm sure be used by City fans as the reason for the loss, and whilst i accept that it was a generous amount if time, it shouldn't be overlooked that either team could have used that time to win the game.

absolutely scandalous refereeing that was. and that's a poor defence of it rix.

After watching Ferdinand and Foster (aka The FF Clown Show) I stormed outside to have a butt, only to miss Owen's goal.

Exciting game to watch - too bad we don't have a keeper like Given. His saves (that and foster I mean) flattered City. When is VDS back?

A draw would have been a fair result but as usual Man Poo get away with murder yet again.

I almost feel sorry for all the City fans, we almost let you draw and most of your lads played their hearts out, but in the end the "magic" of Old Trafford won it for us.

7 goals in the game made it a special match and the method and timing of them even more memorable.

Bellamy played a "blinder'' of a game, but then so too did Fletcher, Giggs & Anderson, and there in lies the essence, IMOH United had more of their players playing great games.

t'was a shame Adebayor wasn't available to play and I sincerely hope that you have a full squad for the return match at Eastlands when the contest continues.

Three Cheers for Football, that game had everything a football follower could want.

I almost feel sorry for all the City fans, we almost let you draw and most of your lads played their hearts out, but in the end the "magic" of Old Trafford won it for us.

Nah ken. The "magic" of Fergie time won it for you again. And the way the smarmy red nose git went and shook the officials hand and they both laughed together is dubious to say the least.

I'm extremely angry this morning, as we was robbed of a much deserved point. Not many teams can go to OT and score 3 goals.

I understand that you are upset BJ, and I am certainly not gloating, I try to be far more diplomatic and sportsman-like than that - but as well as you played you must agree that United were the better team on the day.

City made the us pay for 2 maybe 3 fundamental mistakes which almost cost us the game and all credit to them for putting on a fantastic game of football.

as to the extra time I think you'll find that the rule says..

"the additional time is always a “minimum’’.

Cheers & I'd love to share a drink together at the next meeting, loser pays the "Check Bin"

Yep Samui, the backs did fail us yesterday.

Ken, personally i thought we were the better team in the first half and United were the better hands down, in the second half. Don't know why Hughes changed the system that was working fine but he changed it back when were under the cosh.