Manchester City

mrbojangles

Not at all!! It was an extremely harsh penalty.

He was never going to go to jail..... not on a first time offence, despite what the papers were trying to sensationalise.

The maximum fine allowed, I think is about 5k.... so 1k or 5k, same same when you are on the wages Tevez is on. But a fine is mandatory I believe. The 6 month ban extra is about average, but the 250 hours community service is way over the top!! Joey Barton got less for battering Dabo to a pulp a few years ago, and a Blackburn player got less than 100 hours for snotting somebody in Glasgow.

The fact he pleaded guilty and was already 1/3 of his way through the original ban would have been taken into consideration, therefore I think they are making an example of him, giving him 250 hours.

First time offence? How can it be first time? He was caught driving whilst banned. How did he get banned without offending?

It's also pretty darn obvious that he has done a "Huhne" - committed perjury by claiming on prior speeding convictions to have not been driving the car. Might not be able to prove it, but come on, we all know its bullsh1t. Just like the business about ignoring all the fines because he didn't know what Constabulary meant. Perhaps the judge took all that nonsense into consideration.

Rix, It was his first time offence for Driving whilst Disqualified. He was disqualified for speeding.

He has never claimed he wasnt driving, he just did not respond to the Police letters.

What amazes me is that he is a well known personality, driving some top of the range motors, who has been driving in this country for the past 6 years without a Drivers Licenceohmy.png . Its public knowledge, so I am astounded he hasnt been pulled more often. But on the evidence presented at court, and in comparing with similar offences, it was a harsh sentence.

I already explained the monetary fine.

He was never going to go to jail..... not on a first time offence, despite what the papers were trying to sensationalise.

The maximum fine allowed, I think is about 5k.... so 1k or 5k, same same when you are on the wages Tevez is on. But a fine is mandatory I believe. The 6 month ban extra is about average, but the 250 hours community service is way over the top!! Joey Barton got less for battering Dabo to a pulp a few years ago, and a Blackburn player got less than 100 hours for snotting somebody in Glasgow.

The fact he pleaded guilty and was already 1/3 of his way through the original ban would have been taken into consideration, therefore I think they are making an example of him, giving him 250 hours.

First time offence? How can it be first time? He was caught driving whilst banned. How did he get banned without offending?

It's also pretty darn obvious that he has done a "Huhne" - committed perjury by claiming on prior speeding convictions to have not been driving the car. Might not be able to prove it, but come on, we all know its bullsh1t. Just like the business about ignoring all the fines because he didn't know what Constabulary meant. Perhaps the judge took all that nonsense into consideration.

Rix, It was his first time offence for Driving whilst Disqualified. He was disqualified for speeding.

He has never claimed he wasnt driving, he just did not respond to the Police letters.

What amazes me is that he is a well known personality, driving some top of the range motors, who has been driving in this country for the past 6 years without a Drivers Licenceohmy.png . Its public knowledge, so I am astounded he hasnt been pulled more often. But on the evidence presented at court, and in comparing with similar offences, it was a harsh sentence.

Why is it relevent why he was disqualified? Its not. The only relevence is that he was disqualified. And i doubt very much whether the average man in the street would have faired so well.

Just another premier league footballer showing no respect for the country he is living in and thinking he is above the law.

• Like 1

Jack, saying that it was "a first time offence" was a bit misleading then, was it not, when what you actually meant was that it was "a first time offence specifically for driving whilst banned". First time offence to me, and i'm sure to others, means no other offences have been committed.

With regards that old trick of getting caught and claiming you weren't the one driving, yes, Tevez has done precisely that, when he was caught speeding last year. This from the Guardian:

It is understood his vehicle was caught breaking the speed limit in the town on 28 March when he played for City's reserves against Morecambe Reserves.

His solicitor, Gwyn Lewis, told the court his client accepted he did not provide identification – which carries six penalty points – and that under the totting up procedure he was now liable for disqualification.

Mr Lewis said: "My instructions are though he was not the driver on that occasion I am not going to argue against a ban on grounds of exceptional hardship."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/26/carlos-tevez-banned-speeding

It's futile jack. Tevez has committed a most anus offence and even though the ordinary man on the street would have got less, Tevez should be incarcerated for 10 years. I mean, his offence is far worse than that United player who was just done for DUI.

MANCINI.......moaning, complaining, going on about RVP winning the title not United.....again. Going on about not having enough good enough players and suggesting he needs to buy a whole team this summer instead of 1 or 2 because United already did that and that's why they win titles and have history!

You guys need a new manager

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1402795/roberto-mancini-insists-city-must-spend-to-match-united?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=4716

• Like 2

It's futile jack. Tevez has committed a most anus offence and even though the ordinary man on the street would have got less, Tevez should be incarcerated for 10 years. I mean, his offence is far worse than that United player who was just done for DUI.

No, he should be treated like any other that breaks the law and not given special treatment because he's a professional footballer. Thats all we are saying as well you both know

MANCINI.......moaning, complaining, going on about RVP winning the title not United.....again. Going on about not having enough good enough players and suggesting he needs to buy a whole team this summer instead of 1 or 2 because United already did that and that's why they win titles and have history!

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1402795/roberto-mancini-insists-city-must-spend-to-match-united?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=4716

He wouldn't be so bad if he would just shut up. It seems that he says whatever comes into his head. I'm sure other managers have similar thoughts but they keep them to themselves.

• Like 1

No, he should be treated like any other that breaks the law and not given special treatment because he's a professional footballer. Thats all we are saying as well you both know

But Carms, that's exactly what we have said. I don't understand what it is you don't get. He hasn't had special treatment, in fact the opposite as his punishment is MORE than the average joe would have got. Do some googling on normal punishment for driving whilst banned and you'll see what I mean.

He wouldn't be so bad if he would just shut up. It seems that he says whatever comes into his head. I'm sure other managers have similar thoughts but they keep them to themselves.

I think it's just down to his lack of command of the english language most of the time. But some of the things he says makes me want to punch him, never mind him punching Nasri.

• Like 1

I tell you what mate, you have a strange way of interpreting interviews!!!

I read the article and it is nothing like what you are purporting it to be.

He states that City last year won the league on goal difference, yet this year have basically the same team. Mancini made a wish list of players he wanted in the close season (RVP,Hazard,De Rossi,Martinez) are 4 that come to mind. Any one of those 4 would have made a huge difference, but instead we end up panic buying on the last week of the season (Marwoods fault I believe). At the same time United improve their team by adding RVP who has scored 23 goals for them.

That is the main reason United are winning the league. I still dont think either City or United have played brilliantly this season.

There is nowhere in that interview where Mancini states he needs to buy a whole new team!

I know I am a supporter of Mancini, but I really dont see anything wrong in what he says in that interview

I still dont think either City or United have played brilliantly this season.

Hardly sticking your neck out there mate. Is anyone accusing City of this?

Well let me turn it around. They are 1 and 2 in the league. Do you think United have played brilliantly this year?

Do you accept that RVP has made a massive difference to United?

If your answers are NO followed by YES, then we are singing off the same hymn sheet.smile.png

Do you think United have played brilliantly this year?

Do you accept that RVP has made a massive difference to United?

If your answers are NO followed by YES, then we are singing off the same hymn sheet.smile.png

The first question is hard to answer yes or no in my opinion. If look at the way in which we have played you'd have to say no. If you look at how many points we have scored and how many games we have won, you'd have to say yes.

The second question is not as hard to answer, but still not cut and dried for me. For the first half of the season he was invaluable. For the second half, not so much so. Overall though, i agree, he has made a very big contribution, as his goal tally suggests.

He states that City last year won the league on goal difference, yet this year have basically the same team. Mancini made a wish list of players he wanted in the close season (RVP,Hazard,De Rossi,Martinez) are 4 that come to mind. Any one of those 4 would have made a huge difference, but instead we end up panic buying on the last week of the season (Marwoods fault I believe). At the same time United improve their team by adding RVP who has scored 23 goals for them.

That is the main reason United are winning the league. I still dont think either City or United have played brilliantly this season.

There is nowhere in that interview where Mancini states he needs to buy a whole new team!

I know I am a supporter of Mancini, but I really dont see anything wrong in what he says in that interview

"That's why they've won this title, not because they've played better than us."

I don't know how else to interpret that statement, he mentions RVP no less than 3 times in 2 sentences while on this topic. It's a poor excuse. I don't remember SAF making those kind of excuses last season.

"I don't know how much money we can spend but in the past United did spend a lot of money to buy important players.

Now they don't need to spend £100million every year."United are a top team and they just need to buy one top player every year because they are strong. It is different for us. We need to do it this way and may be in the next three or four years we need only buy one player in the summer because we have a strong team"

Alright I might have exaggerated with the "whole team" but he is suggesting they will need to spend a bucket load AGAIN this summer as if this was the first chance he had to buy players, nearly 3 years of free for all shopping for the best money can buy.

I agree Marwood let you down and as champions you should strengthen your team, but it's the way it comes across as "poor City, poor me" and excuses.

With the amount of money and talent you guys should be killing it by now, playing beautiful football. Mancini has had enough time to do this, he needs to give his head a wobble.

Keep him as boss, works out well for the rest of us.

• Like 1

I'd like to see the chances created stats for the top six clubs.

Over the season that will surely give an idea of just how good RVP has done.

It will also highlight just how poor our three blind mice have done.

What you say? We have only two?...don't be ridiculous.....!

I don't know how else to interpret that statement, he mentions RVP no less than 3 times in 2 sentences while on this topic. It's a poor excuse. I don't remember SAF making those kind of excuses last season.

"I don't know how much money we can spend but in the past United did spend a lot of money to buy important players.

Now they don't need to spend £100million every year."United are a top team and they just need to buy one top player every year because they are strong. It is different for us. We need to do it this way and may be in the next three or four years we need only buy one player in the summer because we have a strong team"

Alright I might have exaggerated with the "whole team" but he is suggesting they will need to spend a bucket load AGAIN this summer as if this was the first chance he had to buy players, nearly 3 years of free for all shopping for the best money can buy.

I agree Marwood let you down and as champions you should strengthen your team, but it's the way it comes across as "poor City, poor me" and excuses.

With the amount of money and talent you guys should be killing it by now, playing beautiful football. Mancini has had enough time to do this, he needs to give his head a wobble.

Bottom line Bob, is we did not have a single "Big" signing in the close season.

United did. That has been the difference, simple as that. I have seen every one of Citys games this year and most of Uniteds. There really has not been that much difference between the 2, in terms of level of performance. First half of the season RVP was on fire, Citys strikers were not. Simple as that. We have not scored enough goals this year.

How many years was Fergie at United before they started winning trophies? Bob, Mancini won the title in his second season!!!! That aint bad in my book. This year he was badly let down by Marwood, plus he has had a lot of injuries to contend with . Not making excuses, but for you to say that Mancini has had enough time and we should be killing it by now, is a bit naive. United have been doing it year in and year out. Mentally very strong, with the best manager in the world. You dont come along within 2 seasons and take over the world. It takes time!!

The only thing I cannot confirm is whether 'headers' are included in the 'shots' stats below

UNITED 442 SHOTS of which 190 were on target (43%) of which 70 goals were scored (37%)

CITY 513 SHOTS of which 217 were on tyarget (42%) of which 55 goals were scored (25%)sad.png

CHELSEA 469 SHOTS of which 187 were on target (40%) of which 59 goals were scored (32%)

SPURS 526 SHOTS of which 215 were on target (41%) of which 53 goals were scored (25%)

ARSENAL 493 SHOTS of which 212 were on target (43%) of which 61 goals were scored (29%)

LIVERPOOL 548 SHOTS of which 208 were on target (38%) of which 59 goals were scored (28%)

So City and Spurs for that matter created enough shots, and were putting enough on target, but havent converted enough

What's an anus offence Mr. B?

Presumably an offence that an arse-hole commits? biggrin.png

• Like 1

United did. That has been the difference, simple as that. I have seen every one of Citys games this year and most of Uniteds. There really has not been that much difference between the 2, in terms of level of performance. First half of the season RVP was on fire, Citys strikers were not. Simple as that. We have not scored enough goals this year.

How many years was Fergie at United before they started winning trophies? Bob, Mancini won the title in his second season!!!! That aint bad in my book. This year he was badly let down by Marwood, plus he has had a lot of injuries to contend with . Not making excuses, but for you to say that Mancini has had enough time and we should be killing it by now, is a bit naive. United have been doing it year in and year out. Mentally very strong, with the best manager in the world. You dont come along within 2 seasons and take over the world. It takes time!!

That's right Mourinho had similar resources and circumstances and he did it back to back from day dot.

I just think City should and could be doing better with what they have, 15 points behind United is a big difference.

United have been doing it year in, year out, but not with the same players year in year out, it comes down to the manager like you said.

Ok SAF is a freak of nature, but I think Jose showed what a "good" manager can do with an bottomless pit of funds.

That's right Mourinho had similar resources and circumstances and he did it back to back from day dot.

I just think City should and could be doing better with what they have, 15 points behind United is a big difference.

United have been doing it year in, year out, but not with the same players year in year out, it comes down to the manager like you said.

Ok SAF is a freak of nature, but I think Jose showed what a "good" manager can do with an bottomless pit of funds.

I like Mourinho, he is a great manager, but compare what he did at Chelsea with what Mancini has done. He was there 4 yrs. Won the league twice and finished runners up and 5th, and won the FA cup. Bearing in mind Chelsea had finished runners up in the league the season before he took over.

Mancini is in his 3rd full season. So far he has won the league, won the FA cup, will likely be runners up this year and quite possibly could win the FACup again this year.

So if City were to win the League NEXT season, he will have outperformed what Mourinho did at Chelsea!! Food for thoughtsmile.png

The only thing I cannot confirm is whether 'headers' are included in the 'shots' stats below

UNITED 442 SHOTS of which 190 were on target (43%) of which 70 goals were scored (37%)

CITY 513 SHOTS of which 217 were on tyarget (42%) of which 55 goals were scored (25%)sad.png

CHELSEA 469 SHOTS of which 187 were on target (40%) of which 59 goals were scored (32%)

SPURS 526 SHOTS of which 215 were on target (41%) of which 53 goals were scored (25%)

ARSENAL 493 SHOTS of which 212 were on target (43%) of which 61 goals were scored (29%)

LIVERPOOL 548 SHOTS of which 208 were on target (38%) of which 59 goals were scored (28%)

So City and Spurs for that matter created enough shots, and were putting enough on target, but havent converted enough

Baring in mind we have Defoe up front i'd say our strike rate for the rest of the team was astonishingly good.

If we play Defoe against City i'm expecting Mancini to leave out your keeper and play another strikerbiggrin.png

CITY 513 SHOTS of which 217 were on tyarget (42%) of which 55 goals were scored (25%)

Baring in mind we have Defoe up front i'd say our strike rate for the rest of the team was astonishingly good.

If we play Defoe against City i'm expecting Mancini to leave out your keeper and play another striker

I'm astonished its that high to be honest!

If we play Defoe against City i'm expecting Mancini to leave out your keeper and play another strikerbiggrin.png

Yes Defoes record is pretty poor. Similar to Giroud, in fact. Defoe needs 9.8 shots to score. Giroud 9. Compare with say Tevez 8.1, Bale 7.5 or RVP 5.7!!

Terrific game at Old Trafford. Brilliant winner by Aguero. City were lucky their first was not given offside. Like yesterday at Loftus Road another example of the folly of conceding needless free kicks. The culprit this time was Yaya Toure.

Well deserved win, I thought.

I thought Nastasic was superb.

Just like to know the difference between Rooneys two footed tackle in the first half, and Kompanys tackle last year which got him sent off V Arsenal.

Same ref, 2 different outcomes. And can anyone tell me the last time the ref blew up for half time as one team is attacking the 18yd box? Personally I cant recall, apart from last nightrolleyes.gif

Anyway, United will go on to win the League, good luck to them, but in my heart of hearts I know that there is little between the 2 teams, certainly no double figure points gap.