Manchester City

mrbojangles

Tot,

My understanding is that a little rift has been had, between Sven and Bianchi, mainly down to Bianchi not wanting to partake in extra English lessons, like the rest of the new signings have. Sven is harder than we all think and has dug his heels in, he wants a team player and one that can converse with his team mates. Hopefully it will blow over and Sven will give him a start, he deserves one IMO

Mr Bo

What is your take on the Bianchi situation?

Actually Tot, just found this on the skysports website:-

Eriksson backs Bianchi

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson has praised striker Rolando Bianchi after he came off the bench to score their goal in Sunday's 2-1 defeat at Tottenham.

The former Reggina forward has only started three games in the Premier League this season after being blighted by injuries.

But now Eriksson hopes that Bianchi's third goal of the season at White Hart Lane is a sign of what is yet to come from the player who cost £8.8million.

"It was a very good goal, good delivery from [Martin] Petrov and a great header, but that's Bianchi," Eriksson told the club's website.

"He's there in the right place at the right moment and in the box. He's very physical and strong.

"I speak with him everyday and it's very easy too because we can both speak Italian. It's not been easy for him, but I hope that this goal will help his confidence."

Bianchi netted 18 goals in Serie A last season but Eriksson says it will take time for the 24-year-old to adjust to life in the Premier League.

"The English game is different; a lot of strikers who come here have problems settling in at the beginning.

"The pace is different and the tackling can be as well. I think he played as a lone striker at Reggina though, so he is used to that role."

Bianchi has been linked with a return to Italy during the January transfer window but Eriksson denies that he will leave.

"He seems happy and calm, he has been working very hard, so there have been no indications that he wants to leave or anything like that."

Also found this:

Rolando shows staying power

chris bailey

11/12/2007

SVEN-Goran Eriksson is not ready to give up on the goal-scoring talents of Rolando Bianchi.

After an extended spell on the sidelines whilst his rivals auditioned for the striking role, the popular Italian finally reached centre stage with half an hour remaining at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

And the 24-year-old didn't disappoint the thousands in his lusty backing band in the stands as he rose to nod the Blues level in a game they eventually lost 2-1.

It was the former Reggina man's first Premier League goal since the opening day of the season at West Ham United and his third in total since he became, at £8.8m, the second most expensive player in City's history behind Nicolas Anelka.

Bianchi has not started a league game since September 2 at Blackburn but now has high hopes of forcing his way into the side during the six games remaining this month.

It was widely assumed that the forward would return to his homeland in the January transfer window, either sold or exchanged but boss Eriksson has doused down the fires beneath the heated rumours.

"Rolando's goal at Spurs was great for his confidence," reflected the manager.

"He is that kind of player. He is tough and pops up in the right place and the right moment. In the box he is physically very strong.

"It has not been easy for him and I hope this goal will help him mentally with his confidence. I am sure he wants to stay and we want him to stay and I am not going to comment about transfers in January.

"I speak Rolando's language and we talk every day. He seems to be happy, calm and working very hard. There is no indication that he wants to leave.

Pace

"The English game is very different from what he is used to. A lot of strikers coming here from abroad take time to adapt and settle in. The pace is different and the physicality is different."

All eyes will now be on the side chosen to face Bolton on Saturday when all four strikers - Bianchi, Darius Vassell, Emile Mpenza and Georgios Samaras - are likely to be fit for selection.

So far in the 16 Premier League games played this season Eriksson has stuck rigidly to playing just one up front and the managerial nod has favoured Mpenza.

The Belgian international has started half of the games with Vassell and Bianchi having three apiece and Samaras two.

When it comes to goals, however, Bianchi is level with Mpenza on two each with the other pair yet to find the net, fuelling further the speculation that there will be new attacking blood heading for Eastlands in the window.

It seems that the two ends of the pitch perplex Eriksson the most for while the defence and midfield has remained largely unchanged except in times of injury or suspension the goalkeeping role, like that of the attacking spearhead, has not been fully claimed.

Andreas Isaksson is the man in possession having now started three league games, Joe Hart has six under his belt but still leading the way is Kasper Schmeichel, who despite being on loan at Cardiff has started seven times this season.

Eriksson is expected to give Isaksson an extended run before returning to England Under-21 international Hart and then deciding between the two early in the New Year.

Daily Telegraph

"Pascal Chimbonda holds his hand up over goal"

The Spurs defender 'holds his hands up' over his goal on Sunday....

Tottenham defender Pascal Chimbonda has admitted he was lucky to score in Sunday's 2-1 win over Manchester City but says he will take all the assistance he can as the team prepare for Saturday's trip to Portsmouth.

The City game was goalless when Chimbonda scored, despite appearing to handle the ball across the goalline - from an offside position - just before half-time.

The right-back said: "The ball just came at me, hit me on the chest, and after that it hit my arm. But the referee said nothing and so the goal stood. Sometimes you need a bit of luck."

Spurs went on to claim a late winner through substitute Jermain Defoe, after City's Rolando Bianchi had equalised, but the Frenchman's controversial goal was the breakthrough and he said: "I will say now, I will get five goals this season although I've already got three, and I think I can maybe score even more."

He added: "You can't just rely on the strikers for goals. So it's good if we get them throughout the team."

New manager Juande Ramos has lost just one game - at home to Birmingham - since taking over from Martin Jol and he is making it his priority to "save this season".

Elano: I want to stay for years

Elano is already looking years into the future after the superb start to his City career.

The mercurial Brazilian has been a huge hit with Blues fans since his arrival from Shakhtar Donetsk in the summer, becoming the cornerstone of Sven-Goran Eriksson's new look side.

He says, "It's very difficult to talk about myself but I believe I can give even more than I have so far but I like to do my talking on the pitch - that's where I can show the City fans what I can do.

"I've only been in England for six months but I am already talking about staying here for 10 years or so.

"When I finish my career, I will return to Brazil to live but I am enjoying being here in Manchester.”

The Blues' good start to 2007/08 has surprised and delighted Elano, who adds: "I think our start has surprised everybody, taking into account that the club brought in so many new players and had a new manager.

"It is down to the competence of the manager and players that we have started so well and we are doing a good job considering the Premier League is such a tough league.

"I had never met Sven before and wasn't even in the national team at the time, but it was nice that Dunga spoke with him about me.

"The fans seem to have taken to the way I play and that makes me very happy because I arrived here as an unknown and I think this is a result of my dedication and hard work during training - and because we've started so well. I'm sure if we can carry on the way we are, the whole team will get the appreciation it deserves."

Carling Cup win counts for nothing

City’s win at the Reebok Stadium in October will count for nothing when they play Bolton on Saturday afternoon, says Sven-Goran Eriksson.

The Blues progressed to the quarter finals of the Carling Cup that night, thanks to a late Elano penalty, but subsequently Trotters’ boss Gary Megson has supervised a shock win over Manchester United and some fine results in the UEFA Cup.

Sven says: “Yes, we won in the Carling Cup but this time I think we’ll see a different Bolton team. They’re in good shape and playing good football at the moment, so it will be a big battle for us.

“We’ll have to defend well at set-pieces because they have a few tall players. They also have the players who can deliver the ball into the box well at corners and free kicks, I don’t know how many they have scored at set-pieces but I suspect it’s many.

“Maybe Bolton are not as big as, say Manchester United, but they have done very well in the last few years. They play in Europe, and that’s a dream of ours here at City. You can’t say they are a small club, they have achieved big things during the last few years.”

That win on Hallowe’en resulted in next Tuesday’s cup tie at home to Spurs, but the Manager insists that neither the quarter final nor the hectic schedule ahead will distract City today.

He adds: “We have to concentrate 100% on what we do on Saturday, after then we know that we have a lot of games with no rest. I have always said that this is the time when we find out how good we are and how good this squad is.”

From the BBC:-

Man City 4-2 Bolton :o:D

Manchester City preserved their 100% home record in the Premier League by overcoming a determined Bolton side.

Rolando Bianchi slotted in from six yards after a Ricardo Garner mistake to put City ahead before El-Hadji Diouf steered in a shot to level.

A Kevin Nolan strike put Bolton ahead but Lubo Michalik deflected in Dietmar Hamann's shot as City hit back.

Darius Vassell's clever finish put the hosts back in front and Kelvin Etuhu's injury-time shot secured the points.

Their ninth successive home league victory lifted City back into the top four, just four points behind current leaders Arsenal.

Bolton signalled their intention of blighting City's home record, which had brought them eight wins out of eight, when they created two early sights of goal for Nicolas Anelka.

But the Frenchman's control let him down for the first and his normal clinical edge in front of goal deserted him when he mistimed his effort in trying to flick a high ball into the net.

City were on the backfoot but were gifted the lead after a mistake by Gardner, who missed an attempted clearance and Vassell pounced only for his angled shot to parried by keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.

But Vassell quickly gathered the loose ball and his low cross was steered on by Michael Johnson to leave the unmarked Bianchi to side-foot into an empty net.

City were buoyed by the goal and threatened to add to their lead before Anelka responded for the visitors with an angled strike which hit the face of the post.

Bolton stuck to their task and were rewarded with two well-worked goals in seven minutes.

The equaliser came when Anelka back-heeled to Diouf, who spread the ball wide to Kevin Davies and then diverted his team-mates low angled cross into the top corner form eight yards.

And Gardner atoned for his earlier error when he helped set up Bolton's second with a cut back that was expertly fired past keeper Andreas Isaksson by Nolan with the outside of his right foot five minutes before the break.

City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson took off Gelson Fernandes at the break and brought on Etuhu and the move had an immediate impact.

The substitute did well to keep possession in the Bolton box before finding a pass to Hamann, whose shot was deflected in off the head of Michalik.

City looked the most likely winners from then on and Johnson thought he had given the home side the lead only to see his side-footed shot come back off the post.

But Vassell was on hand to turn in Petrov's low cross after 77 minutes and Etuhu side-footed just before the whistle to round off a hard-fought win.

Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"When I looked at the players as they were about to come out for the second half, they looked a bit like a defeated team.

"Their heads were down and I said if they carry on looking like that we would not win the game.

"It changed them and after that they were a lot more positive."

Bolton boss Gary Megson:

"We lost because we didn't defend properly at important times.

"We've beat ourselves. They haven't had to work hard enough for their goals. We can't get anywhere doing that.

"We've let in eight goals in our last two away games. That's an absolute nonsense at the level we are at and if we don't put it right we will go down."

They played much better in the 2nd half by what I saw on the TV. Bolton looked to have run out of ideas long before the end.

This week is Carling cup quarters isn't it? You lads have Spurs at home so great opportunity to progress for once.

Hi Mr BJ

What's happened to Elano?

I understood he was fit again but haven't seen any mention of him anywhere.

You think Sven thought they could roll over Bolton without him and decided to give him another few days to recuperate?

I undersatand that he failed a fitness test before the match. Bloody typical as I have him and Fabergras in my Fantasy league team. No suprise, I picked Elano as I thought he was fit, and dropped Fabergas as I thought he woudn't play. :o:D

They played much better in the 2nd half by what I saw on the TV. Bolton looked to have run out of ideas long before the end.

Yeah, i don't know what happened. We started strong and then sort of lost the plot. Sven's half time team talk must have been good, or maybe Nancy helped out :o

This week is Carling cup quarters isn't it? You lads have Spurs at home so great opportunity to progress for once.

Oh, i do hope so. It's been a long time waiting and we have a pretty good chance at the minute.

Man City v Spurs preview from Skysports

Spurs aim to put an end to City's fine record at Eastlands

At the start of the season it was Tottenham tipped to be the club most likely to break into the top four, but ahead of Tuesday night's Carling Cup quarter-final, it is their opponents Manchester City that are leading the charge.

Sven Goran Eriksson has rebuilt not just his reputation this season but also a City side that was going nowhere fast under his predecessor Stuart Pearce.

At Eastlands, City have been immaculate this term, chalking up ten victories from as many games, so Spurs will have to be on their mettle if they are to keep alive their Wembley dream.

It seems unlikely that either manager will make wholesale changes but Eriksson has already confirmed that young goalkeeper Joe Hart will replace

Andreas Isaksson between the posts.

City were at their most fluid in an attacking sense on Saturday, as Bolton were put to the sword to the tune of 4-2 and Eriksson could be further boosted by Elano's return to the fold.

The scheming Brazilian looks to be an inspired acquisition by the Swede but has been sidelined of late by a hamstring injury; with his return welcome as

Stephen Ireland is again ruled out through suspension.

Rolando Bianchi has given a seemingly unconvinced Eriksson something to think about with two goals in as many games, and the Italian has been assured he will be given opportunity to add to this record from the start.

The last time these sides met, earlier this month, Jermain Defoe proved to be Spurs' hero as he came off the bench to shoot them to a much-needed win at White Hart Lane.

His goal has not, though, convinced Juande Ramos that he is worth a regular starting berth so again he could be left kicking his heels on the bench - with Darren Bent given the nod to partner Dimitar Berbatov in Robbie Keane's absence through suspension.

Michael Dawson is a doubt with a migraine, which could mean Didier Zokora continues to deputise alongside Younes Kaboul.

Sven eyes Wembley date

City chief eager to fulfil dream via the Carling Cup

Sven Goran Eriksson is dreaming of Wembley ahead of Manchester City's Carling Cup quarter-final against Tottenham.

Despite being England coach for six years Eriksson has never managed a side at Wembley, with his tenure coinciding with the national side playing their 'home' games away from the historic stadium.

Eriksson has seen his reputation rejuvenated at Eastlands and with City having won each of their ten home games this season, a semi-final berth looks well within their capabilities.

But the studious Swede is already plotting one step further, as he looks to fulfil a managerial dream.

"I think it's a dream for every player, coach, manager to be at Wembley for a game and of course it's my dream as well to sit on the bench at Wembley," he told The Sun.

"The last qualification game England played before I took up the job was at Wembley and the first after I left was Wembley.

"I had hoped to sit on the bench there because it was planned the last game before the World Cup should be played at the new stadium.

"But it was delayed almost a year. So it was destiny."

Hi Mr BJ

What's happened to Elano?

I understood he was fit again but haven't seen any mention of him anywhere.

You think Sven thought they could roll over Bolton without him and decided to give him another few days to recuperate?

Here you go Lawling. The latest on Elano.

Elano available to face Spurs

Sven-Goran Eriksson says that Elano will be available for Tuesday night’s Carling Cup clash with Spurs.

The Brazilian has been forced to miss the last two league games, including the meeting with Juande Ramos’ side at White Hart Lane, with a tight hamstring.

He was close to selection for Saturday’s Premier League game against Bolton, but as the Manager explains he’s ready to return for the cup quarter final.

“We don’t have any injuries, everyone is fit and Elano will be available. It’s good to have him back. He trained very well on Sunday and also today, he’s fully fit once again.

“He was not 100% on Saturday, it was better that he did not play. He wants to play again now, he’s Brazilian and he loves his football. It’s no secret how important he has been to us this season, he’s been behind a lot of our goals as well as scoring a few himself.”

On the composition of the rest of the side, Eriksson says he will be picking the strongest one that he can, adding:

“We’re going to play our strongest team. Rolando has scored twice in two games, it would be hard to put him back on the bench, so he will be starting on Tuesday.

“Joe Hart will play, as has been planned for a long time. I’ve been impressed by his attitude since he was left out, as I have been by all three goalkeepers – they have all been fantastic and very professional.”

The Manager says that he will be making a decision as to who his number one goalkeeper is later in the week, which he confirms will be a hard one to make.

“It’s a difficult decision, but at a certain time I have to do it to show respect to the keepers as well. They have all known my thoughts all the way along, and they have been prepared for my decision. I guess they are waiting to hear what I will say as well.

“The fault lies with them because all three of them are so good!” he laughs. “It’s very difficult but I wanted to give Andreas the chance, I had only seen him on television with City before this season, so that’s why it has taken so long. It’s important that you don’t judge people without giving them the chance.”

From the city web site:-

Hart will let his game do the talking

Joe Hart is unconcerned about any decision Sven-Goran Eriksson may make on who his number one goalkeeper is.

The England Under 21 international, who starts tonight’s Carling Cup quarter final against Spurs, praises the Manager for the even-handed way he has treated all three Blues stoppers this season.

“The Manager has been very fair,” says Joe, “he gave Kasper and myself an opportunity as well as Andreas. When he makes a decision of whoever he chooses we can all accept that we have had our fair share of chances to show what we can do.

“It’s not quite so simple, there is only one goalkeeping slot but I’ve been lucky enough to get a run this season and hopefully I’ll get a few more games yet.

“Regardless of any decision that he might make, I just want to play well every time I play and I want to win games for Manchester City. I’ll just let my football do the talking.”

Turning to the cup clash with Juande Ramos’ side, Joe says that the Blues are ready to give their deserving fans a place in a major cup semi final for the first time since 1981.

“This is a big game for everybody, it’s massive for the players and the club because we want to win this competition so we have to win on Tuesday night – simple as that.

“A big club like Manchester City should be in semi finals and cup finals, it’s good that perhaps there’s some realisation that it could happen this year. We’ve not scraped our way through, we’re not struggling in the league and this is the best opportunity we’ve had in years to get through to a final and give the fans something they deserve.

“The fans have been a different class all year, it’s nice for them to come to games with a positive attitude thinking we can beat sides like Tottenham, it means that there’s no fear in the side.”

Dare i venture that IMO the game tonight is of huge significance indeed i would class it as a season defining(if i could spell it!!)game.We hav,nt qualified for a major semi final since 1981 and if this feel good factor and general feeling of a new era is to continue i think its vital that we end that awful statisitic.COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of snipets, regarding the rumour about Nery Castillo.

The Guardian

"Shakhtar drive hard bargain as Eriksson tries to sign Castillo"

Manchester City will have to pay £3.5m if they want to sign the Mexican striker Nery Castillo from Shakhtar Donetsk. Sven-Goran Eriksson has identified Castillo among his primary targets and the City manager has been encouraged by reports from Ukraine that the player is keen to move to England.

Shakhtar's president, Rinat Akhmetov, told the club's website last night that Castillo can go out on loan providing City paid a one-off fee of €5m (£3.56m). He moved to the Ukrainian club from Olympiakos in August for a club record fee of £12.6m.

Asked about the transfer yesterday, Eriksson said he would prefer not to talk about it "until it was done". The Swede was far happier discussing tonight's Carling Cup quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur, when City hope to reach their first semi-final of any knockout competition since their run to the FA Cup final of 1981, when they lost to Tottenham in a replay.

The Times

"Rolando Bianchi wants to fight for his place at Manchester City"

Rolando Bianchi insists he will stay and fight for his place at Manchester City, despite the seemingly imminent arrival of Nery Castillo.

Castillo, the Mexico striker, who is currently at Shakhtar Donetsk, is expected to sign a year-long loan deal with City when the transfer window opens next month.

The 23-year-old has failed to settle in Ukraine after arriving in the summer and was at Eastlands on Saturday as Bianchi scored in City’s 4-2 Barclays Premier League victory against Bolton Wanderers.

The Italian forward has now scored in his last two matches, having also found the net as a substitute in the 2-1 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur, and insists he is happy at the club.

“I do not want to leave, I see a future for me here," he said. “Getting into the side and staying there is a challenge for me and I want to win that challenge.

“It was important for my confidence that I was able to come on at Spurs and score and then start the game against Bolton. Now I hope that goal will be the start of many. I have worked hard and aim to make the most of my chance.”

City will be asked to pay £3.5million to sign Castillo on loan, according to the Ukrainian club.

"A one-year loan - five million euros and there will be no options, meaning a right to buy (Castillo)," said Rinat Akhmetov, the Shakhtar president.

"We will see in a year whether to bring him back to Shakhtar or if we sell him. The price could be 20, 30, 40 or 50 million euros."

Castillo became Shakhtar's record signing when they bought him for £12.5million from Olympiacos in August but he has made just eight league appearances and has yet to find the back of the net.

Mr Boj, this may come as suprise, but good luck for tonight.

Spurs, have been a team that I have always enjoyed seeing struggling. :D Afterall, my best mate in S'pore is an ardent Spurs fan, so theres always a bit of banter going on. :o I look forward to giving him some <deleted> tomorrow, with any luck. :D

Dare i venture that IMO the game tonight is of huge significance indeed i would class it as a season defining(if i could spell it!!)game.We hav,nt qualified for a major semi final since 1981 and if this feel good factor and general feeling of a new era is to continue i think its vital that we end that awful statisitic.COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree Tots.

COME ON YOU BLOOOOOOOOS

From the BBC

Man City 0-2 Tottenham

Ten-man Tottenham ended Manchester City's 100% home record to reach the semi-finals of the Carling Cup.

Tottenham took the lead when Jermain Defoe rounded off a neat passing move by steering home Aaron Lennon's cross.

The home side struggled to respond before Spurs had Didier Zokora sent off after 20 minutes for a lunge on Elano.

City came forward but Paul Robinson saved from Darius Vassell and Rolando Bianchi before Steed Malbranque's breakaway goal sealed Spurs' victory.

The home side had won all 10 of their previous matches at Eastlands this season but they showed precious little evidence of that form here.

It was Tottenham who were on the front foot early on, with Dimitar Berbatov at the fulcrum of their best moves.

The Bulgarian was involved in Defoe's goal after five minutes, releasing Lennon who sprinted away from Javier Garrido before crossing for his England team-mate to sweep the ball home.

Berbatov was a constant menace, using his strength to hold up the ball and his skill to lay off clever passes behind City's defence for Defoe and Lennon to run on to.

But that attacking threat was diminished in the 20th minute when referee Steve Bennett showed Zokora a red card for his lunging tackle on Elano - a decision that incensed Spurs assistant boss Gus Poyet.

With Tottenham down to 10 men, a visibly unhappy Defoe was replaced by Teemu Tainio, who slotted into a reshuffled back-line.

Having an extra man did not help City much at first, and they were grateful to Vedran Corluka when he deflected a Berbatov shot over the crossbar.

Elano missed from close range for the home side and Michael Johnson fired just over the bar as Tottenham were forced to defend at last.

And in the early stages of the second half a repeat of City's stirring comeback against Bolton on Saturday looked on the cards.

Robinson had to tip over Vassell's header and Martin Petrov volleyed over when well placed before the Tottenham keeper parried a Bianchi effort.

City also felt they should have had a penalty when Pascal Chimbonda tangled with Richard Dunne inside the area.

But Tottenham's tireless work, despite being a man down, meant they saw out the storm.

And, although City kept attacking, they were looking vulnerable on the break and Malbranque duly punished them with eight minutes to go.

Substitute Jamie O'Hara played the Frenchman in, and he rode Dunne's tackle before firing past Joe Hart to ensure his side's progress.

Man City agree Castillo loan deal

post-19542-1198056217_thumb.jpg

Manchester City have agreed to sign Mexico striker Nery Castillo on a year-long loan from Shakhtar Donetsk.

Castillo only moved to the Ukraine in the summer in a £15m move from Greek side Olympiacos but he has failed to hold down a starting place.

The 23-year-old will join the City squad on 1 January.

"Nery's desire to make this deal happen was extraordinary - he has paid most of the loan fee himself," said City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh. :o

"This proves how much he wants to play for Manchester City in the Premier League.

"We are excited and delighted that another young established international has joined the club."

City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson, who was initially linked to Castillo before the Mexican joined Donetsk, has seen his side struggle up front this season despite their lofty position in the Premier League table.

Rolando Bianchi, an £8m summer signing, has failed to hold down a regular place and Darius Vassell, Georgios Samaras and Emile Mpenza have scored only three times between them.

Despite his failure to make an impact with Donetsk, Castillo arrives at Eastlands with an impressive reputation.

He scored four goals to help Mexico reach the semi-finals of the 2007 Copa America and managed 12 goals in 25 games - including three goals in six Champions League matches - in his final season with Olympiacos in Greece.