Manchester City

mrbojangles

Sum that one up...

2 key decisions wrong and Spurstow took advantage

And Joe would have stopped 3 out of the 4 I reckon.

Fair play to Spurs, but thats the worst I have seen City play for a long time

Think you're forgetting how poor we were MOST of last season, but that's our worst performance this season for sure.

Sum that one up...

It was actually 4 key decisions wrong or did you only see the ones that went against city ?

What were the other two key decisions then Alfie? The ref and lino's made loads of errors but those two absolute blatant offsides from which you scored where key IMO

Sum that one up...

It was actually 4 key decisions wrong or did you only see the ones that went against city ?

What were the other two key decisions then Alfie? The ref and lino's made loads of errors but those two absolute blatant offsides from which you scored where key IMO

Demichelis should have been sent off for a start. :D

De Bruyne was offside when he scored, so wasn't that key ? Demechelis bought down lamela and should have received a second yellow but you obviously didn't see them !

I agree about Demechelis but he wouldn't have got the first yellow if the ref had got the first key decision right. What about that young lad of yours (can't remember his name) with fuzzy hair, he should have gone off.

De Bruyne was offside when he scored, so wasn't that key ? Demechelis bought down lamela and should have received a second yellow but you obviously didn't see them !

I agree about Demechelis but he wouldn't have got the first yellow if the ref had got the first key decision right. What about that young lad of yours (can't remember his name) with fuzzy hair, he should have gone off.

Being as we have the youngest squad in the Premiership you'll have to be more specific mrboj. :D

Being as we have the youngest squad in the Premiership you'll have to be more specific mrboj. :D

Alli.

That's just bad form gents....the offsides I can understand but luck of the draw on that....the red was obvious for Demichelis....show me why Alli should have gone?

Surprised at City fans really...we deserved the win over all imho.

Edited by smokie36

That's just bad form gents....the offsides I can understand but luck of the draw on that....the red was obvious for Demichelis....show me why Alli should have gone?

Absolutely, you were the best team on the day and your defence was superb, made City's forwards look quite ordinary.

• Like 2

Smokes, I don't mind losing and I don't wish to take anything away from your glee. I just hate the feeling that I've been cheated by bad reffing decisions. Your first goal was a mile off side and brought the momentum to you. Demi was then only booked for arguing against a terrible decision. What's the point of having a linesman if he can't spot those.

This is why I am so for TMO

Smokes, I don't mind losing and I don't wish to take anything away from your glee. I just hate the feeling that I've been cheated by bad reffing decisions. Your first goal was a mile off side and brought the momentum to you. Demi was then only booked for arguing against a terrible decision. What's the point of having a linesman if he can't spot those.

This is why I am so for TMO

You would be smiling too...but we beat you...in the second half you were rubbish.

Pathetic Mr Bo. All players should play to the whistle. No excuses for ripping into the officials no matter how wrong they are - telling them they got it wrong is OK. Drives me mad when I see an Arsenal player getting carded for senseless arguing (or Wenger whining after the game).

Play nicetongue.png

• Like 1

My kids smashed and ruined their ipad.

City continue their bad run.

ManU win...and go top.

Something tells me it's not worth me staying up to watch England...

man u being top of this now just shows how shit the premier league is. general quality is <deleted> awful. kick and <deleted> rush crap.

• Like 1

ManU win...and go top.

man u being top of this now just shows how shit the premier league is. general quality is <deleted> awful. kick and <deleted> rush crap.

Took the words out of my mouth. Seems the more money is spent the worse it gets.

ManU win...and go top.

Took the words out of my mouth. Seems the more money is spent the worse it gets.

i think there are three what you'd call world class players in the premier league now, aguero, sanchez and silva. that's it. all signed from clubs in spain as it goes. the overall quality and standard of football is &lt;deleted&gt;.

• Like 2

ManU win...and go top.

Come on stay up, it will be more enjoyable than watching England Football Team wink.png

I watched Newcastle have the win snatched away from them by Chelsea and took that as further proof the planets weren't aligned.

Seems I was right about the England game.

• Like 1

Team selection for Wednesday game away vs Monchoengladbach should be interesting with the growing injury list

"He said: "Yaya Toure has a problem with his hamstring and couldnt continue in the way he wanted but well see for the Champions League."

Pellegrini also raised doubts over Vincent Kompany's fitness availability for Wednesday, saying: "I don't think so, we will see. He has not recovered 100%."And Hart could also miss the trip, having missed the midweek game at Sunderland with an injury.

City already had six players on the injured list before the game.Fabian Delph and Gael Clichy have been long-term absentees, while Kelechi Iheanacho, Wilfried Bony, Eliaquim Mangala and David Silva were all missing from the squad at White Hart Lane."

urstow took advantage

Strange, still no mention of the De Bruyne offside goal by the City on here facepalm.gif only talk of the Spurs offside goals, funny that whistling.gif

Anaysis from the always excellent David Mooney

http://www.typicalcity.org/2015/09/26/analysis-tottenham-hotspur-4-1-manchester-city/

Its very easy for Manchester City fans to blame the two offside goals for the nature of the 4-1 defeat to Tottenham, but they were actually an incidental footnote in an atrocious afternoon for the visitors at White Hart Lane. The away fans will feel a huge sense of injustice and theyd be quite right to be upset at the quality of the officiating, but the frustration has to come more that all of the hosts goals were easily preventable.After a season where no team has looked likely to even get close to City, Manuel Pellegrinis side find themselves on the brink of falling apart. A sturdy defence looked porous, while an all-guns-blazing attack looked about as threatening as a toddler armed with a nail file. It probably smarts more because its allowed Manchester United who have been so far behind the Blues in terms of quality of performance to go to the top of the table after seven games.

Lets clear up the offsides, first. Theres not actually a lot to be said you can understand why the flag didnt go up against Kevin De Bruyne; even with freeze frame video replays and drawing a line across the Tottenham defence its not a conclusive offside call. Its one of them where the side thats penalised will feel aggrieved and could have gone either way.The hosts third goal was similar to some extent. Harry Kane was clearly offside he was stood in the box when the free kick was taken and City held their line along the marking on the ground and nobody else played the ball after the kick was taken, forwards or backwards. But that the ball was moving in a couple of directions and for so long without anyone touching it, its easy to forget where the striker was when it was initially played forward.This is the one decision the away fans can feel annoyed at without having to look at their own teams failings too and its a bitter pill to swallow when its the effort that kills the game.But the equaliser also shouldnt have stood! many will cry and thats also true; there was an abomination of an offside call by the linesman who couldnt see Kyle Walker who was astounded he wasnt flagged was a good two yards beyond Citys line when the ball was played. But the question has to be asked whether the visitors had the chance to clear the ball before it found the net, and the answer is yes: De Bruyne played a suicidal pass into the middle, knowing the defence was out of position, when he could have put it pretty much anywhere else and itd have been safer.Should the goal have been ruled out? Yes. Are City blameless in going in at half time level? No they could have got away with it quite easily.

To blame the defeat solely on that as a turning point and the strike from Kane midway through the second half does both a disservice to how well Tottenham played to get control of the match and to how mentally weak the Blues looked in falling apart at the slightest hint of trouble. The squad might be weakened, but they were capable and they chickened out when the going got tough.It seems astonishing to suggest that City were the better team up until the point where the home side drew level, given the quality of the football that followed. Aside from one or two spells of decent possession on the edge of the Spurs box, having going in at half time at 1-1 Pellegrinis side never once looked capable of beating Hugo Lloris when the game resumed and they more frequently looked like they couldnt string two passes together.Fans will remain unconvinced by Willy Caballero, too. He was brought in at a time when Citys transfers were limited to push Joe Hart for the number one spot, but hes kept one clean sheet in his fleeting nine-game spell at the club and hardly impressed in that time, too. The decision to start him was possibly out of the managers hands, though the question remains if the Chilean wasnt willing to risk Joe Harts back injury why he was named amongst the substitutes.Theres an argument the goalkeeper could have done better for the Tottenham opener, as he never got set after the Blues brought the ball away though neither did ANY of his defenders but that was hardly his biggest error. He can also expect De Bruyne to do better to clear under no pressure at all.Caballero was in no mans land for the second goal and gave up on it completely, having left his line. Its an alarming error of judgement, given how far away from the ball he was when he stopped, but its exactly the same mistake as the one that allowed Sunderland a consolation on Tuesday night.

The hosts had a goal correctly ruled out for offside that also highlighted Citys defensive flaws. Of course, you could argue that the flag going up showed they held a good line; but that holds little water when the ball that Son Heung-min tapped home was going in anyway.Perhaps the most worrying aspect of the defeat was the manner in which it came. Of course, bad decisions happen and they can change the way players approach a game mentally, but City were the architects of their own downfall. They didnt react to the set-backs and they seemed to sulk, allowing Tottenham to take the initiative and get themselves on the front foot. Offsides happen, incorrect penalties are given, lucky deflections arent uncommon City cant go through the campaign expecting everything to happen fairly. Nothing in life is like that. They have to accept that you dont always get what you deserve, dust themselves down and fight again not react like a five year old and throw a paddy.After falling behind, Sergio Aguero became absent without leave, Raheem Sterling ended up in blind alley after blind alley, Kevin De Bruyne couldnt pick a pass and, when Yaya Toure departed injured, the midfield pair of Fernando and Fernandinho looked like children lost in a busy marketplace, hurriedly looking around and chasing shadows, panicking for a sight of mum or dad.It could have been worse, too. Mark Clattenburg, who many bizarrely believe is genuinely out to do the club over, actually did City a favour when he chose not to dismiss Martin Demichelis for what looked a certain second yellow card. The Argentine looked well off the pace of the match, too.

City will get little sympathy for the amount of injuries they suffer, though thats not to say they havent played their part. Youve spent £500bajillion in the last three years! will come the cry, youve got great strength in depth! The spine of the team Joe Hart, Vincent Kompany, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Sergio Aguero is severely weakened; just two were deemed fit enough to play at White Hart Lane, one clearly isnt at 100 per cent and the other had to depart early with a hamstring problem.Strength in depth is one thing, but it only really works when there are one or two players being rotated. That still being said, the first 40 minutes showed there was a team at Tottenham on Saturday lunchtime perfectly capable of dominating that match.Agueros run of form is now more than a minor concern. When hes been struggling to score in the past, hes always been involved in Citys play but many might have forgotten he was still on the pitch by the time he was substituted. With injuries to Wilfried Bony and Kelechi Iheanacho and with the latter not in the Champions League squad Wednesday trip to Borussia Monchengladbach doesnt look appealing.Its a cliché that teams have character and its something that Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool is determined to make footballs next cringeworthy buzzword, but there was a complete lack of it from the visitors at White Hart Lane. The conspiracy theorists and blind faith optimists will continue to blame injuries and offsides, while the doom-mongers will ask for Pellegrinis head on the chairmans desk first thing on Monday morning. The truth is simpler and somewhere in the middle.City fell to pieces. Tottenham were fantastic. With that in mind, a couple of offside goals were the icing on the cake of a bad afternoon.

Written by David Mooney.

• Like 1

urstow took advantage

Strange, still no mention of the De Bruyne offside goal by the City on here facepalm.gif only talk of the Spurs offside goals, funny that whistling.gif

Pelegrini's lack of any sort of a plan b could cost City this season. Talk of Guardiola being a done deal persists but we'll have to wait and see.

Second half City were over run and he didn't have a clue what to do about it. I was also taken aback at just how dominant Dier was defending our midfield although Aguero looked like he was carrying the effects of an injury and City really missed Silva and Hart.

Bottom line is that offsides goals aside, Spurs were well worth the win and City clearly have defensives worries to sort out. De Bruyne goal, whilst warranted at that stage by the run of play was offside too and Demechelis should have gone.

Either way i'm just happy with the performance and the points as i really wasn't expecting anything from this game.

Spurs won, fair play. Couple of points on our management of the game though.

Until the equaliser, City had probably had the better of the game and certainly didn't look troubled. I wasn't happy with Yaya playing in behind Aguero, I thought the whole of the front 6 looked out of kilter by that move. Sure it would have been better to have played Fernando just in front of the back 4, Yaya and Fernandinho in the heart of midfield, and as we seemed content to play on the break an interchangeable Aguero, Sterling and KdB.

Spurs got the offside equaliser. Willy wonka lost his head and gave Spurs the 2nd. Cue management to take over a rocking City. Didn't happen. We needed to settle, get back in the game, take control of midfield, protect the back 4. Didn't happen.

Aguero clearly is off form but I thought we played in to the hands of Spurs defenders who were surrounding him effectively. Why not change the whole front 6 around at that stage. Sterling and Aguero move out wide with KdB in a Silva role (ie. No one upfront in the middle making Spurs centrebacks redundant) Yaya and Dinho breaking forward in to the space vacated by Aguero. Something different.

Yaya goes off injured and I thought that was a turning point. We never had any fight after that.

Why was Dinho (best player this season) subbed but first game back defensive-Fernando left on. Dinho has pace, energy, covers the ground better, has a better goal threat, can cover the back 4. Fernando. ..limited.

At this stage there was no longer any cover for the very nervy centrebacks...Kane loves that. Pelle left us wide open.

Suddenly usually assured Demechellis was becoming a liability. Nothing done about it. Soft management.

At 4v1 with it being more likely to be 5v1 than 4v2, why throw on a kid winger with minutes behind him. Goal difference will be important. At that stage I would have accepted the defeat and tried to close up, put Zaba on for his first minutes this season at fullback, ineffective Demi move in front the back 4 and (Citys best defender currently) Sagna in the back 4.

The rub went Spurs way for the 10 minute period broken up by halftime but we certainly didn't help ourselves.

Spurs won, fair play. Couple of points on our management of the game though.

Until the equaliser, City had probably had the better of the game and certainly didn't look troubled. I wasn't happy with Yaya playing in behind Aguero, I thought the whole of the front 6 looked out of kilter by that move. Sure it would have been better to have played Fernando just in front of the back 4, Yaya and Fernandinho in the heart of midfield, and as we seemed content to play on the break an interchangeable Aguero, Sterling and KdB.

Spurs got the offside equaliser. Willy wonka lost his head and gave Spurs the 2nd. Cue management to take over a rocking City. Didn't happen. We needed to settle, get back in the game, take control of midfield, protect the back 4. Didn't happen.

Aguero clearly is off form but I thought we played in to the hands of Spurs defenders who were surrounding him effectively. Why not change the whole front 6 around at that stage. Sterling and Aguero move out wide with KdB in a Silva role (ie. No one upfront in the middle making Spurs centrebacks redundant) Yaya and Dinho breaking forward in to the space vacated by Aguero. Something different.

Yaya goes off injured and I thought that was a turning point. We never had any fight after that.

Why was Dinho (best player this season) subbed but first game back defensive-Fernando left on. Dinho has pace, energy, covers the ground better, has a better goal threat, can cover the back 4. Fernando. ..limited.

At this stage there was no longer any cover for the very nervy centrebacks...Kane loves that. Pelle left us wide open.

Suddenly usually assured Demechellis was becoming a liability. Nothing done about it. Soft management.

At 4v1 with it being more likely to be 5v1 than 4v2, why throw on a kid winger with minutes behind him. Goal difference will be important. At that stage I would have accepted the defeat and tried to close up, put Zaba on for his first minutes this season at fullback, ineffective Demi move in front the back 4 and (Citys best defender currently) Sagna in the back 4.

The rub went Spurs way for the 10 minute period broken up by halftime but we certainly didn't help ourselves.

Still no mention of the De Bryne goal being offside biggrin.png