Manchester City

mrbojangles

Next up Liverpool away midweek followed by Villa (h) then Norwich (a). Same team vs Liverpool for me, maybe only changes being swap the fullbacks and maybe Sterling not to start but I'd start the same team except bring in Hart. Next 2 games can rest one or two, but for me that is our best starting 11 (KdB when fit instead of Sterling) and we should be playing it every game on the run-in in the Premier.

Pleased to see Fernando showing his worth recently...for me, he has been leading our midfield and our pressing game. DeJong, Barry, Fernando...we're a better team when we have a predominantly defensive midfielder anchoring our centre.

Next up Liverpool away midweek followed by Villa (h) then Norwich (a). Same team vs Liverpool for me, maybe only changes being swap the fullbacks and maybe Sterling not to start but I'd start the same team except bring in Hart. Next 2 games can rest one or two, but for me that is our best starting 11 (KdB when fit instead of Sterling) and we should be playing it every game on the run-in in the Premier.

Pleased to see Fernando showing his worth recently...for me, he has been leading our midfield and our pressing game. DeJong, Barry, Fernando...we're a better team when we have a predominantly defensive midfielder anchoring our centre.

Silva was spotted with his ankle in ice after the game, so its possible he wont play Wednesday.

Personally I dont like Dinho on the right. He is so much better in the middle, but I guess everybody cant play there.

Playing 120 minutes, not sure he will risk Sergio from the off on Wednesday. He looked shattered.

I thought Sterling was bobbins last night. Gave the ball away too many times and wasted 2 very good chances, I think for sure he will start Navas.

My thoughts are that Sterling,Silva and Yaya wont start on Wednesday. Zabaleta will start over Sagna.

Maybe Sergio plays an hour and then gets subbed.

You could be 5th by Sunday

Can't say I enjoyed the game much, way too nervous. Thought we should have won it in normal time, but the more we missed/had saved, the more I was convinced the cup had the scousers name on it...when Dinho hit the post with our 1st penalty I knew we were doomed...thank you Wicked Willy for proving us all wrong and saving the day...he's just joined Nicky Weaver in City folklore of winning a Wembley game for us.

Thought Fernando had another good game and I wasn't impressed when he was subbed...thought we were going to be too open [based on the last few games I'd keep with this Fernando/Yaya/Dinho formation]. Pleased to see yaya make it through the whole game...he's still got it when he wants to do it. Silva made most things happen. Liverpool seem to have some problems with Dinho in his new unusual wide right position. Kompany looked very assured and offered Liverpool little. Aguero looked sharper, had a great battle with Lucas and the goalie...thought they were Liverpool's best players. Sterling had a decent 1st half but then faded n missed a sitter...I would have had him off and Nacho on (definitely would have had Nacho on instead of Bony). We seemed to have learnt from the defeat earlier in the season, and the past 2 games we've learnt to compete again.

Another bloody late night Wednesday!

When Sterling missed that late on in front of goal I thought we were going to nick the game.

Lucas taking a penalty second up was just plain wrong. We can't be aggrieved about the result in the end. The thing i enjoyed most was the effort and togetherness of our team, we are heading in the right direction.

if there is any conciliation for us, it is the fact City are again celebrating in front of their Red neighbours thumbsup.gif

In the changing room celebration video on City's website, Noel Gallagher asks KdB when will you be back and KdB answers "5 weeks". Good news.

Plus 3 weeks to get fully match fit, so should be at full pace for the Arsenal game, great news smile.png

Starting 11

Joe Hart

Pablo Zabbaletta

Gaël Clichy

Vincent Kompany

Nicolás Otamendi

Raheem Sterling

David Silva

Fernandinho

Fernando

Jesus Navas

Sergio Agüero

Subs: Caballero, Sagna, Demichelis, Kolarov, Bony, Iheanacho, Mangala

Don't know about fellow blues, but after our consistently poor performances in the Premier since September and the fact there never seems to be an improvement of our form (we keep dreaming they might snap out of it as per 2012 and 2014 but it doesn't look likely this time around), I have given up dreaming the Premier might be ours come May.

Don't know about fellow blues, but after our consistently poor performances in the Premier since September and the fact there never seems to be an improvement of our form (we keep dreaming they might snap out of it as per 2012 and 2014 but it doesn't look likely this time around), I have given up dreaming the Premier might be ours come May.

No hunger and no desire i'm afraid BB sad.png

I'm nervous about us keeping a top 4 place TBH

• Like 1

If West Ham continue playing so well and United keeping grinding away i would be.

Wednesday night was the only time this season we've been outplayed and that Payet is a superb player.

No hunger and no desire i'm afraid BB sad.png

Not sure it's that simple; the manager and players will know why, but we City fans have no true understanding of what's behind it beyond speculating.

If West Ham continue playing so well and United keeping grinding away i would be.

Wednesday night was the only time this season we've been outplayed and that Payet is a superb player.

When WHU beat us at the Etihad they/he were brilliant 1st half, fortunate 2nd half (think we had 20 chances missed or saved...their goalie was unbeatable that day).

Agreed.

The kiev and cup final games I was happy with our performance. The midweek game, without yaya, without Fernandinho-Fernando-yaya (should have played A. Garcia for injured yaya to give us a strong middle, playing Sterling and Navas (only 1 should ever play) plus Aguero and Sterling, was asking for trouble - we were not strong enough defensively so we rarely got it forward. Pellegrini going for the win did as he often does and left us too open.

Very tough run in which we were appalling in the Premier, rolled over in the FA Cup, did well in europe and cup final, is now over so lets hope against Villa and Norwich they can get something going.

Copied from the weekly e-newsletter – says nicely what I feel currently

MAN CITY INFO VIA THE ALPS "McVittee!" (2018): Created in 1994, MCIVTA is the longest running unofficial Manchester City related web site and e-newsletter in existence.

OPINION

After the highs of Sunday's nerve racking victory in the Carling Cup final, I thought to myself, yes...this will give us a sense of renewed optimism and see us juggernaut through our remaining Premier League matches. How wrong was I? Wednesday's no show just highlighted City at it's very worst. I can appreciate that we played 3 matches in a week, but so did Liverpool!! Just because they lost the Cup, should they have more desire than us to win?

Injuries is one thing, but we have professional players who are highly paid and also extremely well looked after, with all the medical & physio staff on hand to make sure they recuperate as quickly as possible. This also happens at Liverpool FC. So why did one team come out all guns blazing and pressed us from minute one? The reason being is that Klopp (like a few other teams), have figured out that when they use this method, City generally capitulate.

Pellegrini was quoted as saying, we did not have any mid-fielders left as Yaya was injured - what about the mid-fielders that played against Chelsea - are they not young and fit? If Man Utd are using youngsters (albeit they are forced into it), why can't we, especially if our players are knackered!! Surely Pellegrini should know the state of his players and set up accordingly - defend with 11 if needs be.

Do you ever see City operating a high press? It takes organisation and mobile players (you should be mobile if you are playing in the EPL), with lots of energy ad industry....well City lack this!! I am not really sure if most of the City squad realistically think that we are in the title race, and are probably happy to have won a Trophy and still being in the Champions League.

We have now thrown away 9 points in our last 3 matches, and there is no guarantee that we will win on Saturday.

Our current players are in for a shock when Guardiola comes to town.....they will all have to work their socks off!!

I am extremely annoyed and alarmed at City, once again throwing it away!!

Copied from the weekly e-newsletter – says nicely what I feel currently

MAN CITY INFO VIA THE ALPS "McVittee!" (2018): Created in 1994, MCIVTA is the longest running unofficial Manchester City related web site and e-newsletter in existence.

OPINION

After the highs of Sunday's nerve racking victory in the Carling Cup final, I thought to myself, yes...this will give us a sense of renewed optimism and see us juggernaut through our remaining Premier League matches. How wrong was I? Wednesday's no show just highlighted City at it's very worst. I can appreciate that we played 3 matches in a week, but so did Liverpool!! Just because they lost the Cup, should they have more desire than us to win?

Injuries is one thing, but we have professional players who are highly paid and also extremely well looked after, with all the medical & physio staff on hand to make sure they recuperate as quickly as possible. This also happens at Liverpool FC. So why did one team come out all guns blazing and pressed us from minute one? The reason being is that Klopp (like a few other teams), have figured out that when they use this method, City generally capitulate.

Pellegrini was quoted as saying, we did not have any mid-fielders left as Yaya was injured - what about the mid-fielders that played against Chelsea - are they not young and fit? If Man Utd are using youngsters (albeit they are forced into it), why can't we, especially if our players are knackered!! Surely Pellegrini should know the state of his players and set up accordingly - defend with 11 if needs be.

Do you ever see City operating a high press? It takes organisation and mobile players (you should be mobile if you are playing in the EPL), with lots of energy ad industry....well City lack this!! I am not really sure if most of the City squad realistically think that we are in the title race, and are probably happy to have won a Trophy and still being in the Champions League.

We have now thrown away 9 points in our last 3 matches, and there is no guarantee that we will win on Saturday.

Our current players are in for a shock when Guardiola comes to town.....they will all have to work their socks off!!

I am extremely annoyed and alarmed at City, once again throwing it away!!

Some valid points, though Liverpool played with a vastly different team than the one that started in the final. City should have done the same.

Silva was not fit, that was obvious and I would have left Kun on the bench.

This is why I get so frustrated with Pelle, because the game V Liverpool should have had at least 1, maybe 2 youngsters playing. But he just wont do it, unless it suits his agenda.

I agree with the point about Pep. Our boys are in for a rude awakeninglaugh.png

"Manchester City will have to win at least nine of their remaining 11 games to win the Premier League title, says manager Manuel Pellegrini.Fourth-placed City are 10 points behind leaders Leicester after having lost their last three league games.Pellegrini feels 75 points will win the title - a tally his side are currently 28 points off achieving."We have just had a bad moment but we have 33 points [available] to try to reach it," said Pellegrini."

Good to hear a bit of fighting spirit but for a team that's shown no form all season that's going to be a hard ask.

Man City lineup

Starting:Joe HartGaël ClichyVincent KompanyNicolás OtamendiBacary SagnaFernandinhoJesús NavasDavid SilvaYaya TouréSergio AgüeroWilfried Bony

Substitutes: Willy Caballero, Aleksandar Kolarov, Eliaquim Mangala, Pablo Zabaleta, Manu García, Kelechi Iheanacho, Raheem Sterling.

Aston Villa lineup

Starting:Brad GuzanAly CissokhoCiaran ClarkAlan HuttonJoleon LescottMicah RichardsIdrissa GueyeJordan VeretoutAshley WestwoodGabriel AgbonlahorJordan Ayew

Substitutes: Mark Bunn, Leandro Bacuna, Jores Okore, Carles Gil, Jordan Lyden, Scott Sinclair, Rudy Gestede.