Disulfiram Implants

themechanic

This may interest some of the hard cases, so called "hopeless" drunks and binge drinkers on here.

I am going through a bad withdrawal now, coming off a week long bender. I was out wracking my brains on how I can fix this problem, really and for good.

I've tried it all. Rehab (6 months), AA Meetings, Religion, Psychiatric Counselling, Naltrexone and even a witch doctor in India (not joking). All to no avail.

I know myself way too well by now. I am not a daily drinker, but a binge drinker, like many alcoholics I can not stop till I black out once I sip the first drink. Sure, now I feel terrible and low, but as soon as I detox and spring back to health, after a week, maybe 2 weeks, when I feel fit and fine- I will make the same mistake again. Guaranteed. I will go out for "1 beer". We all know how that ends.

So in my desperate search for a real and permanent solution, I thought about many things. Suicide pact group with other drunks crossed my mind. Then I knew that it was unrealistic and way too risky/illegal. Then I started thinking about implants. What if there was an implant that can detect alcohol in your bloodstream and if it does, it will kill you. And then... Eureka! I remembered Disulfiram. That stuff works, and it won't kill you but you would wish that you were dead.

I was very excited and thought that I was the first to think of this. But apparently I am not.

An alternative method of administration takes the form of the subcutaneous or intramuscular implantation of sterile pellets of disulfiram. They are available under the trade name Esperal. The procedure was introduced over 20 years ago in France and is extensively practiced at the present time in Poland.

Ten 100 mg pellets are provided in a glass container. Using general anaesthesia or regional infiltration by a local anaesthetic 8 to I0 pellets are implanted in a single operation, usually into the abdominal wall. The pellets can be placed within a muscle (eg between the fibers of rectus abdominis)

What do you people think? I think that this can be a real and final solution for those of us who truly wish to quit drinking, permanently. Or realize that we will be dead if we do not quit forever, and choose to live rather than drink to death.

I've had a look at mims.com (Thailand). It seems that the only option available here is the tablet form. I don't know about other countries in the region.

With the Disulfiram in 100 mg tablet form, it appears you only need to take one per week. I understand the difficulties this can impose on you, but if you are determined to live -and good on ya, mate - then I'd suggest going this route until you can find the implants.

I wish you all the best.

I knew a fellow back in Canada who tried it. He took a drink and never took any of it again. Back home there was a treatment center that used antibuse. Every time you turned around they were trying to give you a drink. I knew a fellow who went through there and stopped drinking for about about ten years that I know of. He maintained with Pot which is far less harmful to you and those about you.

My brother went through there and came out alright for about a year when he started drinking again. He how ever did not return to his former amount or pattern So in away it worked for him.

Being in AA for a number of years I have seen many people come in and not make it. Many is the time that they have come back some over 10 times before they got it. Some died. I was told and it is my unofficial observation that binge drinkers have the hardest time making it. Well make that second hardest Academics have the hardest time.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally my advice would be to get yourself to your another AA meeting. Have you got yourself a sponsor? If not, just going to meetings is most certainly a positive move but you really need to follow the 12 step program with a sponsor to make it work. I found this out the hard way, I tried various things over a period of about 5 years, going to AA meetings without a sponsor...it didn't work. Went to a therapist...it didn't work. Tried taking antabuse...it didn't work. In fact I continued to drink while I was taking them and was violently sick. I was lucky it could have been a WHOLE lot more serious for my health. Tried willpower alone...it didn't work.

I really didn't want to go back to AA but I literally had no choice. Was at absolutely rock bottom, was going to lose my job, wife, son everything. After getting myself a great sponsor, following the 12 step program I have now been 7 months sober. The longest period by far for almost 20 years (I'm 35) and I absolutely love my life now and have no inclination to go back to my former ways. I was also a binge drinker by the way.

Good luck.

I just reread the OP He claims he is coming of a bender and suffering bad withdrawals.

then he thinks that a Disulfiram implant will help him.

He goes on to say

What do you people think? I think that this can be a real and final solution for those of us who truly wish to quit drinking, permanently. Or realize that we will be dead if we do not quit forever, and choose to live rather than drink to death.

Sounds to me like it is just going to give him a horrible withdrawal just the same as he has with out it. What is the difference?

Many people go through treatment centers more than once. I met a fellow who was 10 years sober and had been through 17 treatment centers. His SPONSOR congratulated him for spending a half a million dollars on a big book.

• 7 months later...

Archived