Koh Tao murder suspects retract confessions: 'interpreter assaulted us'

webfact

Wasn't the interpreter a roti seller?

The so called interpreter potentially has a lot of answers as to how the ' confessions ' etc were obtained so let's hope he can be made available for any court hearings and just doesn't just ' disappear '. There are a couple on possible interpretations of this so I'll leave to members to decide as they see fit.

Incidentally BBC World Television is covering the story that the suspects have retracted their confessions etc.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the RTP buffoons would have had an outside chance of the world believing them if they hadn't chosen 2 scapegoats that look like 13 year old kids.

The 2 Burmese men accused of the murders are just that. Men.

no, they are kids

the killers are grown men tho

Nom Sod looks like a kid to me ..

Nom Sod looks like a kid to me too,

But a killer? not to me

one thing that has never been mentioned,

were drugs in her system, and, if so, which one's?

no one normally intentionally consumes a date rape drug,

but, had she been taking exctasy, on her own, there is no telling how the crime would have actually started;

the only thing I have to go on,

is Sean's blurb about "knowing" he tried to save her

I don't know what it actually means, but David could have heard her scream and discovered she was being raped, and then, they killed him fast, and then had to kill her too

the face bludgeoning is particularly gruesome, and could easily have been started with their fists and just turned into some sort of grotesque frenzy with the hoe, out of anger

Sean gave it away though, he fingered the killers

Edited by SteveFong
  • Like 2

The so called interpreter potentially has a lot of answers as to how the ' confessions ' etc were obtained so let's hope he can be made available for any court hearings and just doesn't just ' disappear '. There are a couple on possible interpretations of this so I'll leave to members to decide as they see fit.

Incidentally BBC World Television is covering the story that the suspects have retracted their confessions etc.

Apparently so and if I've got it right of Rohingya descent which could see him conveniently deported. I'm not sure if his status here was ever explained.

The suspects and staff from the Myanmar Embassy said he couldn't speak the suspects dialect and since they are Buddhists and he's Muslim there's no love lost.

Depending on where this all goes it could be interesting to hear how the BIB justify his use.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

about time a high profile case like this got into the international media .... showing what the RTP truly are (on a side Immigration also need to be thoroughly investigated from their corrupt practices to the ignorant manner they conduct their daily paper shuffles....they also take and assist in the persecution of migrant workers)

Thailand Karma LOL...well over due

Still barely a mention about it on BBC.

Yeah, I agree with the posts above that Nom Sod doesn't look like a killer, but he very well could have been involved, hence the rush off the island. I figure it was Nom Sod and the other two in that photo that Sean took, the AC Bar mngr and the cop....they would have to stay on the island, but Nom Sod is better off skedaddling to BKK. It adds up.

Perhaps the RTP buffoons would have had an outside chance of the world believing them if they hadn't chosen 2 scapegoats that look like 13 year old kids.

The 2 Burmese men accused of the murders are just that. Men.

no, they are kids

the killers are grown men tho

You are not a kid in your 20's. They are men fully capable of killing this way. To suggest otherwise is simply an argument based on emotions.

• Like 1

Has more come out on the DNA testing? I remember originally they said it was sent to Singapore for the analysis. The reason I ask, is that means some of the original DNA might still be in the Singapore lab outside of the BIBs reach, that would give a true sample to test against.

Wouldn't hold out too much optimism. Singapore could only have what RTP labeled and sent.

Apparently so and if I've got it right of Rohingya descent which could see him conveniently deported. I'm not sure if his status here was ever explained.

The suspects and staff from the Myanmar Embassy said he couldn't speak the suspects dialect and since they are Buddhists and he's Muslim there's no love lost.

Depending on where this all goes it could be interesting to hear how the BIB justify his use.

The police on that island had no idea what a storm was brewing, so they acted with impunity

the cover up is blown,

the people involved will probably flee

about time a high profile case like this got into the international media .... showing what the RTP truly are (on a side Immigration also need to be thoroughly investigated from their corrupt practices to the ignorant manner they conduct their daily paper shuffles....they also take and assist in the persecution of migrant workers)

Thailand Karma LOL...well over due

There has been plenty of 'high profile cases' reported in the international media.

Nothing has changed, indeed,;

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

not always true.

drop by drop the barrel gets full - one day it overflows

Maybe I missed something but yesterday it was reported they got a slap in the face without a mention of a kick in the chest so tomorrow are we to be told the blue and the red were attched to their lower regions?

it was reported that they stood on the chest of one of the witnesses and possibly the now suspect victims as well,

the report of the interpreter kicking them in the chest is new

it is possible one of them has a broken rib

Have they never heard of water boarding?

If you are going to coerce a confession, there are many ways to 'motivate' a person that leave no physical scars.

IF the police did assault the 2 guys they were not very creative.

They claim to have been suffocated using plastic bags over their heads.. so yeah..

Oh.

Well, it seems they are getting some things right.

I'm a bit surprised at how long it is taking the British police to get here. Why weren't they prepared to leave at a monemts notice just in case they were given the go-ahead?

get real. British detectives are already here/have been here for a long time. the "official" team will be coming.

Would like this to be true. But I doubt it.

How do you know? Are you one of them?

I still cannot get over how so little has been made internationally of the 'interpreter' and the pictures of him selling Rotti's.

It seems strange given the tragedy of the circumstances, but i still cant help having a little snigger at the pictures of him in his day job, and then donned in a police shirt informing the accused how they committed the crimes.

Its so surreal that if someone informed you of it, you would think they were certified. Not to mention the fact that apparently he does not even speak the same language as the accused.

Maybe it is being saved for the end- like the opera ain't over till the fat lady sings or in this case till the roti seller - sells-out, providing he doesn't commit suicide due to the pressure he is under.

I'm a bit surprised at how long it is taking the British police to get here. Why weren't they prepared to leave at a monemts notice just in case they were given the go-ahead?

get real. British detectives are already here/have been here for a long time. the "official" team will be coming.

Finely someone with a bit of nouse!

So now they have proper legal representation, an interpreter they can understand and trust and without the cops leaning over their shoulders things have changed somewhat.

Can see why it was so important for the witnesses, including the interpreter, to give early evidence as they may want to leave the country.

The prosecutor wants more evidence.

Then there was the court appointed lawyer who got out, a little to hot for him, save his skin while he still has it.

And the plod will arrive next week "To observe" can just see them sitting quietly looking on without asking questions, yea right.

A closer look at the DNA evidence would be the next step.

I find it quite strange that the two accused are on their third set of lawyers. How do they get up to speed in such a short space of time and why do they keep resigning?

It will be interesting who the UK send. The stated focus is DNA evidence and whether the confession was obtained under duress. So you'd think the personnel required would be a forensics DNA expert and maybe a police complaints expert used to dealing with complaints about police brutality.

If a murder case investigator is sent, it would suggest that the Brits intend to review the whole case and not just the stated focus of DNA and torture.

Why do you think they will send only one person?

I prefer to believe they will send a team of experts

Edited by sweatalot

From 2 different posts Posts above:

Cameron wouldn't have got involved with out consulting Kent first
Regardless of over 100000 signatures on a petition presented to Cameron...??
This process was most likely started as per the UK FCO MOU on Investigation of Murders of UK Citizens Abroad
The decision on whether to appoint an Special Investigations Officer rests with the Chief Officer of the appropriate Police Force. Circumstances where the appointment of an SIO is best practice will include (among other factors):
Relatives request UK police to assist in establishing the circumstances of the death of a British national. This often arises where the family are dissatisfied with the investigation overseas, and seek advice in respect of best practice in murder investigation.
The procedure could have been initiated following the Witheridge family's return to UK following their travel to Bangkok around 24 September.
Edited by JLCrab

stoli, on 22 Oct 2014 - 09:33, said:

Unfortunately, so many westerners, including many on this very forum, were calling for the murderers to be found quickly and sent to prison the next day. Even though in most foreign countries it takes time to find the suspects, here they are condemned for not finding the suspects next to the dead bodies. Because we live in a tourist area, they try to please the foreigners wishes and deliver results that are not correct, but expedient. Next time please give them some room to do their job.

What? Do you work for the RTP media department, or are you in a parallel world, surely it seems, you do not live on this planet.

• Like 1

WhizBang, on 22 Oct 2014 - 09:59, said:

The "interpreter" initially used by police turned out to be a local food vendor of Rohingya descent, not a professional.

Just like the police, not professional at all.

This is all over the BBC this morning. More of Thailand's reputation in tatters. Not that Thailand had a good reputation to begin with.

This 'perfect job' by the RTP is seriously starting to unravel. How long before we see some RTP charged with coverup and destroying evidence? Follow the money. See who paid out and received large sums of money since Sept 15.

I wonder, if this is what the RTP consider a "perfect job" what would they consider a "poor job." You also have to wonder how many "innocent" people have been jailed. in the past.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Thai PM was not summonsed.

An official from the Thai embassy in London was summonsed.

Some folks seem to have no hesitation to be untruthful.

That last line has to be a joke no ?

And yes he was summoned. Cameron didn't invite him to have a chat about the situation, he told him he was going to have a chat about the situation.

How the heck do you know what Cameron did or didn't do or say?

Although unchecked, Cameron is loose in the way he speaks for sure. A lightweight dick trying to be the new Churchill or Thatcher.

I doubt very much that the Thai PM would respond to anyone who "told" him he was going to have a meeting.

Edited by Baerboxer

When the saudis sent their investigators to recover the stolen blue diamond they were killed. Be careful new scotland yard.

The Saudi's sent a businessman who was well connected to and trusted by the Saudi Royal family. He was murdered along with Saudi diplomats. Presumably the found something out, were getting too close, or making ripples someone didn't like.

Britain will send experienced officers, either to work with or observe the RTP depending on whose version you believe. It would be a very big mistake should any harm befall any one of those officers.

• Like 1

Finely someone with a bit of nouse!

The sort of nouse that can be found in any expat bar in Thailand.

They will have a very difficult time justifying his use, and this presents a big problem for the prosecutor because it is one of several factors that will make it difficult for the prosecutor to persuade the judge(s) and the courtroom observers that the accused men's original confessions were reliable "beyond a reasonable doubt".

The defense lawyer should be able to call the translator as a witness for all to observe in court, and the defense lawyer will argue and present evidence in support of the following:

• The translator was not registered or licensed as an official translator (which in another Thai case I recently read about--British businessman in Pattaya--made the confession inadmissible ... albeit after he spent a long time in prison on what he says were trumped up charges)
  • The translator's entire existence and livelihood on Koh Tao (and probably in Thailand) depended on the local authorities, so if they were unhappy with his "translation" he stood to lose everything
  • The translator was the only person in the room who spoke Arakanese other than the suspects; so he is the only witness as to what the two accused men said that day
  • Since there is no video or audio of the confessions, the translator's own paraphrasing and translation from Arakanese to Thai (neither of which is his original language) is the only evidence of the confessions
  • There is a long-running conflict between members of the translator's ethnic group and that of the accused
  • For the reasons stated above, the translator is an inherently unreliable witness, and therefore his translation of the confessions is unreliable
  • For all of these reasons and more, there is a reasonable doubt as to whether the confessions are reliable.

The defense lawyer will also be able to question the translator regarding everything he witnessed surrounding the arrest, interrogation, re-enactment etc.

I think this, along with the potential unreliability of all of his other key evidence, is why the prosecutor has sent the file back to the police for more circumstantial evidence to support his case in court.

I agree with you so very much and during my time in Hong Kong there was never a thought about using an interpreter who was not officially certified.

The stumbling block here could be if the suspects decide to plead guilty, for whatever reason, and evidence doesn't need to be produced and tested in court.

What if the judge is only too happy to go with the Guilty plea and doesn't ask questions ?

With no cross examination available the defence can only present mitigation and allude to things without going too far and being criticised, maybe. In some jurisdictions the judge would ask " why are you pleading guilty then ? "

Lies! This was a perfect police investigation and you farrangs just need time to understand.

Happiness in the Kingdom now sits at 120% and corruption has been eradicated.

Love live the Generalissimo

Ha ha ha ha ha , this must be a joke message, good tortures can withdrawal all info they want said, coursed into confessions etc. and not leave any evidence of any kind on said people. You really have to be fricking kidding, excuse me while I take time out to laugh out loud.laugh.pngblink.pngbah.gifcheesy.gif

post-211626-0-15258200-1413951645_thumb.

• Like 1