24-year-old British woman dies at beauty treatment clinic in Bangkok

webfact

If this place was undertaking general anaesthesia in a shop I am amazed....the initial link was quite vague.

In all honesty you couldn't get much more of a dangerous setting.....having been involved in administering anaesthesia in even outlying areas within hospitals these are always the most hazardous of conditions

...and where we always ensured we covered all bases.

Mind you if the staff were not properly trained and the necessary emergency equipment not readily available there is an inevitability of disaster eventually.

Dreadful thing to happen and almost certainly preventable.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Honey, cancel Thailand lets go to South Korea to get my bigger boobs !

Not to make light of this tragedy but along with 2 murdered, not many travelers are going to come here

Sensitive as a rhino and smart as turkey!!whistling.gif

I just do not understand some dills on TV. I like everyone else enjoy a laugh and there are so many OPs that are suitable for this. Fact is someone died. Can people have respect. Yes comment on the clinic , but for heavens sake spare us the school boy silly insensitive comments.

And now in every forum jokes about Burmese.

Grow up develop a personality .....whatever it takes stop being dumb A##.

• Like 2

as long as there is a qualified anaesthetist (spelling) ...operations can be done in any clinic outside a hospital. There are millions of small private clinics all over the world that perform plastic surgery.

General anaethstetics are rarely administered outside hospitals in the developed world because it is an increased risk SHOULD SOMETHING GO WRONG.

I would never have a GA in a clinic anywhere in the world. It is a ridiculous risk.

as long as there is a qualified anaesthetist (spelling) ...operations can be done in any clinic outside a hospital. There are millions of small private clinics all over the world that perform plastic surgery.

General anaethstetics are rarely administered outside hospitals in the developed world because it is an increased risk SHOULD SOMETHING GO WRONG.

I would never have a GA in a clinic anywhere in the world. It is a ridiculous risk.

Please at very least check your facts. I'm from AU. One of best medical available in world. Take just one procedure ..Colonoscopy. ...litterally many hundreds preformed per week. .

I could list countless other procedures all preformed in clinics under GA

Please at very least check your facts. I'm from AU. One of best medical available in world. Take just one procedure ..Colonoscopy. ...litterally many hundreds preformed per week. .

Well, its banned in the UK outside hospitals. My old man was a dentist, so knows all about it. He rarely ever did GA because he didn't want the reponsibility.

It's no uncommon for people to die when having general anesthetic. People die all over the world this way, every day of the week. Best to wait until this is investigated before jumping to conclusions, as many on here are. It could well just be a tragic accident.

Which is why I asked earlier why there appeared to be no backup emergent facility here.....GA's are known not to be taken lightly and are usually only used when an ICU is available.

Edited by wilcopops

It's no uncommon for people to die when having general anesthetic. People die all over the world this way, every day of the week. Best to wait until this is investigated before jumping to conclusions, as many on here are. It could well just be a tragic accident.

Everything pointless death in Thailand is a "tragic accident".

is that right , at 11pm. what the hell kind of surgery do you have at 11 pm at night ? sounds fishy to me.

It is very common for surgical procedures to take place outside normal "office hours". It is considered normal practice all over the world. There are several reasons, including surgeons and anaesthesiologists working in another clinic or hospital during the day. This is a common reason a procedure is scheduled late at night.

I hope that explains it.

They do this because staff may have already done a full day's work in a hospital, and need to make extra money by "moonlighting

"

- there are seldom checks to find if these staff are over worked or over-tired and incapable of working 100%.

Obviously I can't comment on why an individual chooses to work extra (if that is the case). There are research available on this topic, none of them conclude an increased complication rate related to surgeon fatigue and other logistical factors that may be suspected to play an adverse role. Have yet to see a paper on this topic targeting Thai clinics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21825947

The best way to deal with this is to allow authorities to manage the investigation and refrain from speculations.

Edited by Forethat

It might be of some assurance of compentency of these institutions to those going under the knife, if they were admitted a day early, checked for alergic reaction by qualified/trained personnel who specialize in adminstration of anaesthetic.

This is the secomd instant of this type of death reported in the past few weeks.

"It might be of some assurance of compentency of these institutions to those going under the knife, if they were admitted a day early, checked for alergic reaction by qualified/trained personnel who specialize in adminstration of anaesthetic."

Who said this didn't happen?

Who said it did? The impression from the report is that it's a turn up and get done sort of clinic!

"Who said it did?"

Clever response.

The report doesn't give that impression at all, unless you can indicate the part that does.

"Clever response" - unlike most of yours.

"Her doctor, 51-year-old Sompop Saensiri, was detained for questioning while police inspect whether the clinic had proper emergency equipment and followed health standards"

Nice to see the RTP doing the intelligent thing and checking before making clever statements.

Not to make light of this tragedy but along with 2 murdered, not many travelers are going to come here

At least you know your traits 5555 whistling.gif

At least you know your traits 5555 whistling.gif

The British deserve better.

Another plastic surgery patient dies
The Nation

30246218-01_big.jpg
Dr Sompop Sansiri and his plastic-surgery clinic have run into serious legal trouble after a British woman died during hip surgery late on Thursday.

BANGKOK: -- Huai Khwang clinic closed after Briton's death, two doctors could face jail time

Plastic surgery in Thailand has made the headlines again, this time because of the death of a British customer - a 24-year-old woman who died while undergoing hip surgery in Bangkok's Huai Khwang district late on Thursday.

The clinic was immediately slapped with a 60-day closure order, while the two doctors involved in the fatal procedure are subject to investigations by both police and the Public Health Ministry.

SP Clinic owner Dr Sompop Sansiri, who performed the surgery, is charged with recklessness leading to the death of a person.

If convicted, he will face up to 10 years in jail and/or a fine of up to Bt20,000.

Sompop is also set to face several other charges related to the case. He was found to have been performing the surgery beyond authorised hours. His clinic was supposed to close by 8pm, but the death reportedly took place at around 11.30pm.

The body of the victim was also found to have been moved from the second floor of the clinic to the first floor, something that could violate legal clauses governing the clinic's operation, according to police.

In addition, Sompop is in fact a licensed general-practice doctor and has no licence to perform plastic surgery.

In performing the surgery without a licence, he risks up to three years in jail and/or a fine of up to Bt60,000.

His clinic was allowed to operate because it had been able to produce the licence of Dr Narongdej Jiarapeepan, a surgeon.

However, given that Narongdej did not perform the surgery on Thursday, he will likely face charges of allowing another person to perform surgery at premises authorised by his licence.

Sompop has reportedly so far denied any wrongdoing, insisting that he proceeded in line with proper surgical procedures.

At this point, it remains unclear why the Briton died during the surgery.

It was not her first time at the clinic, as she had also undergone surgery there on October 14.

Her body was taken to Police General Hospital for an autopsy, as the authorities seek to determine the exact cause of death.

The court has approved Sompop's bail request and released him on a Bt200,000 guarantee.

Health Service Support Department director-general Dr Boonrueang Trairueangworawat said the doctors involved in the case had clearly violated the Medical Facilities Act. "We will forward the case to the Medical Council of Thailand for further action," he said.

Last month, an event product presenter also succumbed during plastic surgery at another clinic, reportedly because of an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Another-plastic-surgery-patient-dies-30246218.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-25

Bangkok is full of clinics....all over the place, thousands upon thousands of them. How do they make money? could it be by cutting corners, using poorly qualified staff and poor quality equipment, but still charging relatively high prices to make up for a very low volume of customers? Remember, thousands of clinics means smaller numbers of clients per clinic, but still very high marketing costs to get attention. I am naming no names and making no accusations, just asking questions. You do the maths.

paddy, think you're wrong about this. There are thousands of people flocking to Thailand and other Asian countries with promises of cheap cosmetic surgery. I think people travelling for this is a growing trend and a huge market. There's plenty of info on the web about this.

One of the sad things about society today is the brainwashing (of mostly women) that they should look perfect in every way like a supermodel and also that getting older is a bad thing, which of course its not.

As much as there are a lot of decent clinics this is Thailand and we all know how much they like to cut corners, when theres a lot of money involved there will always be some disgraceful basted who just wants the cash. Add to this the corruption and ability to pay people off when things go wrong and its no real surprise that these things happen.

I would never go under the knife of any sort in Thailand (Unless it was absolutely necessary to save my life) or its neighbouring countries as we all know there are no standards and people take their lives in their hands. When I had my knee operation in a private hospital the anaesthetist sat with me for 10 mins discussing the surgery. His job is a highly specialized role not just putting someone to sleep and I paid over $500 just for his 30 mins assistance and it was done so well I didn't even realize I had the surgery, and this is how its supposed to be not in some shonky backstreet place in Lardproa.

• Like 1

RIP. Brits and Burmese should think twice before coming to Thailand.

Just like some people should think twice before posting!!coffee1.gif

And perhaps the adviser to Brits and Burmese should also think twice about wearing a bikini in public unless he's quite ugly. In that case, of course, go for it!

Edited by montrii

Last time I had an operation in the UK they put it back by 2 weeks as I had a cold, apparently you are 4-5 times more likely not to wake up if you have a cold....... Bet this was 1 of many things that wasn't checked.

A mate of mine was put back for 2 weeks because of slight pnemonia in a local hospital.He is very happy with the service.

"How you equate being "...very naive..." with giving a truthful account of one particular procedure beats the hell out of me. Surely if you live and work in Thailand this is your HOME! It is home for me and I would not hesitate for one minute to be admitted into any of the hospitals I have dealt with thus far. Your rather condescending remarks about being uneducated etc etc. give me the impression you are trying to make Thailand into something it is not. If things are that bad for you I think it's time for you to leave HOME and go to that other HOME you have."

The fact that you have made subjective judgements indicates how naive you have been. The fact that you wouldn't hesitate to be admitted to "any of the hospitals"shows how naive you are, and she I'm in need of medical care, I want to get there best and most reliable regardless of where I happen to be....I first came to Thailand in 1994, it's my place of work and I've grown out of viewing the place through rose tinted spectacles of ignorance a long time ago.......it looks like you need a dose of healthcare negligence to bring yourself out of the mists of la-la land...and a very naive definition of "home".

How regrettable that once again we at TV are subjected to a poster who finds it necessary that in order to presume to gain the ascendancy in an argument resorts to personal abuse.

It may come as a surprise to you but a truthful and first hand account equates to an objective assessment. You are just not worth any further effort of striking the keyboard.

• Like 1