How to Deal with a Jerk as a Landlord?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you worry too much !!

1)i dont think this guy is a landlord of anything because he is a farang, if it is not an appartment with 49% farang /51% thais. the chanot his not on his name for sure, so he can not make any contract signed by himself.

2)only pay by bank money transfer, so there is traces..never in cash!

3)if you pay water and electricity yourself then you can prouve also you are here because the owner let in and that you are renting the house, also neibours can testify.

4)to kick you out even if you dont pay for edges he needs to go to court first and then the court after a negociation with both parts will decide what to do according to the circumstances....it cost money, lawyer etc etc and it is very, very slow in case you go for a judgement...! and you ...you just wait being in his house for free.

5)end to finish if you want to make him really mad, just dont pay anymore, stay where you are, change the locks, and call the police when he show his face.

i tell you even if it is the brother of king kong, he will eat his own rage and his ...what ever sick inside.....dont be afraid, just do what i say, i have been already to court to help a farang to kick somebody out (a thai woman).. so i know what i am talking about, i won after 8 hours of negociation..lucky boy!

go for him and dont let you impressed!

coffee1.gif

"he is just an agent renting condos out"

I wonder if he has a work permit.

I am not one for shopping people, but if I was in the OPs shoes and being treated the way he is, then yes, I would get in touch with the local labour office, as there is no way this guy has a work permit, and the OP is in danger of losing his deposit.

• Like 1

Sort it out the Thai way, thats why the Good Lord invented motorcycle taxis drivers.

Sounds like yet another digital pikey.

No, don't do that. That makes you a coward, you will be only bringing your self down the the same standards as the people you are being referred to.

Put yourself in his shoes.

He is a hand-to-mouther who lives every day with the stress of wondering where his next beer will come from. Never mind the rice.

Of course he will have a short fuse. He didn't plan for the situation he is in.

I'd get the real owner involved or just move out.

And if you have only a one month security deposit and you will try to stay one month without paying, then who will pay your last electric and water bills?

Any good businessman, and that is every one of us by default these days, would try to find an arrangement that is beneficial for all parties involved.

• Like 1

I have lived at my present location for over 3 years I am supposed to pay the rent on the 1st of each month In the 3 years I have been here I have not even heard from my landlord one time. Not once I have paid as late as the 4th .of the month. I have in the past talked with a lawyer just off the cuff and he said under Thai law you have a 4 day grace period to pay rent from the due date on a standard contract. Is your contract standard

Anyways to avoid this verbal barrage just pay him on the 28th

OP - despite some of the wise - cracker statements ... you are in the right ... and I would personally do anything to keep my premises ... Thai entry doors usually have a flange - where the landlord can attach a big lock - you don't have to the key to it and they can lock you out... Place your own BIG LOCK in it -- so he cannot do that... Tesco and other places also sell a cone like covering for your door knob lock - with a big lock barring its removal ... Take one of these actions and he cannot easily lock you out... Also - remove your valuable items and find a place to store them ...

Next go to where you pay your rent in cash ... turn on you video cam in your phone and demand to make payment for this months rent... show the money on camera -- show the date with a calendar page ... speak slowly and calmly - recite the day / time of your effort to pay rent... give your phone number ... be polite

If you are refused by him or his agent to accept rent WITH RECEIPT - you have it on video - date - time stamped... then stay in your apartment as long as you wish...

Makes plans to move out to another place - secure the new place with a partial prepayment - with written receipt... Stay in your current place until you have gotten your money's worth -- clean up ...take copious photos - date and time stamped ... photos of the electric meter - start - stop at all times is always advisable ...

Make sure he knows of your taking photos of everything . And if he does an encounter with you and become near violent -- video him and make it clear that you are video recording him.

Then move when you are ready -- by moving in stages at night - little by little ...

Then when you feel you have proper exchange of value -- Leave -- leaving the extra locks on the door... The landlord will have to have them cut off to gain entry .. and expense to him ...

Fight Fire with Fire

Why bother, if I believed this post (which I don't), just move out, problem solved!

You have a lots of option to choose from. I picked 4 for you that make the most sense.

- Live with it.

- Pay on the 26th by bank transfer and you will never have to see the landlord.

- Move to another place with a different landlord. Maybe request a talk first to check if this landlord is polite.

- Buy your own place.

As owner I would be happy with this landlord. This one takes care that the rent keeps getting paid.

The man is Irish and need his drinking money on time.

If you pay late then he has to stay sober for that period.

Irish don't do sober.

If you are maybe also English, well that make it worse for an Irish

See above!! Or are we allowed to say what we want now?? Where are you from RonThai, just so I can abuse you with some stereotypes...

sounds like a typical foreigner in Thailand . Let me guess. Is he an alcoholic ?

"he is just an agent renting condos out"

I wonder if he has a work permit.

I doubt he has a working permit;) but im not a snake, thats why im not naming any names. He even has a website stating he is renting them out and for the past 7 years or so... but who am I to judge if he does or not... but if he does not have a working permit and he is being such a j e r k, he his walking on thin line... one day he will piss off the wrong person & he will be reported.

• Like 1

You have a lots of option to choose from. I picked 4 for you that make the most sense.

- Live with it.

- Pay on the 26th by bank transfer and you will never have to see the landlord.

- Move to another place with a different landlord. Maybe request a talk first to check if this landlord is polite.

- Buy your own place.

As owner I would be happy with this landlord. This one takes care that the rent keeps getting paid.

yeah getting paid with his scary tactics, not very smart if you ask me, thats why laws exist, correct? no need for a landlord to snap at his tenant and threaten him, thats what kind of landlord you would like to have? Like someone said on here, you got 4 days grace period, so im not breaking lease terms.

When I ws a young lad I would stand up to everything and everybody. A lot older and wiser I consider that a great deal of wasted energy.

I had a minor but irritating problem with my landlord recently. When I considered the ramifications of getting myself wound up, even getting physical, it made me laugh. We moved to a house from an apartment and are a good deal happier now. Every cloud has a silver lining.

That said, as always, one man's meat.....

• Like 1

Don't pay him and just move out. If this guy is such an <deleted> as he appears to be then there's no way he's going to pay you that deposit back anyway.

If someone makes an aggressive move and looks like they're about to attack you I find there's two options :

1 - Do nothing and wait to see if he punches you and react accordingly

2 - Take immediate action and knock him out - this is quite permissable as he's attacking you but you should bear in mind that he might beat you to a pulp

In this case he's 'putting on a show' like a gorilla beating his chest (the desk) to let the others know he's in charge.

If you can take a punch or two maybe have a friend film you from outside, then go in there and make him explode in rage. At this stage you own him.

Option 3 is to GTFO when you sense its about to happen.

Not all of us are strong enough to take the first 2 options.

OP - despite some of the wise - cracker statements ... you are in the right ... and I would personally do anything to keep my premises ... Thai entry doors usually have a flange - where the landlord can attach a big lock - you don't have to the key to it and they can lock you out... Place your own BIG LOCK in it -- so he cannot do that... Tesco and other places also sell a cone like covering for your door knob lock - with a big lock barring its removal ... Take one of these actions and he cannot easily lock you out... Also - remove your valuable items and find a place to store them ...

Next go to where you pay your rent in cash ... turn on you video cam in your phone and demand to make payment for this months rent... show the money on camera -- show the date with a calendar page ... speak slowly and calmly - recite the day / time of your effort to pay rent... give your phone number ... be polite

If you are refused by him or his agent to accept rent WITH RECEIPT - you have it on video - date - time stamped... then stay in your apartment as long as you wish...

Makes plans to move out to another place - secure the new place with a partial prepayment - with written receipt... Stay in your current place until you have gotten your money's worth -- clean up ...take copious photos - date and time stamped ... photos of the electric meter - start - stop at all times is always advisable ...

Make sure he knows of your taking photos of everything . And if he does an encounter with you and become near violent -- video him and make it clear that you are video recording him.

Then move when you are ready -- by moving in stages at night - little by little ...

Then when you feel you have proper exchange of value -- Leave -- leaving the extra locks on the door... The landlord will have to have them cut off to gain entry .. and expense to him ...

Fight Fire with Fire

Great advice on how to get arrested.

Were you not aware that taking photo's in someone else's property without owners approval is illegal?

If landlord says to put camera away, and OP refused, it is breach of privacy and can easily be also translated into trespassing

Now, legally landlord can not lock out tenant without court order even more so when deposit has not been lived out.

BY placing lock on the door and moving out, OP would once again breach the law and would be liable for all costs involved in removing it.

If i was landlord, i would not even bother to remove it, but simply bill OP for the rent and will legally be entitled to full amount.

Really puzzles me why people give advice without knowing the law.

you do realise the law and reality are two different things especially in Thailand dont you?

Well, since you know the reality so well, why do not you try to move out and lock out the landlord and see what happens?

Better yet continue to film on private premises after being asked not to do and report back on realitythumbsup.gif

Stay for oner more month and then move without paying the last rent. And there you got your one month deposit back....

In reality this isn't going to work is it ? He's already paid his rent for this month, just a couple of days 'late' but still within the agreed upon payment period.

If you don't pay your rent and then proceed to stay there for another month using up the deposit you will bring all sorts of problems on yourself.

The agent will be the one stealing the deposit - most likely not the apartment owner - this kind of thing is very common, everywhere.

Slightly off topic but in the UK they bought out new laws to try and avoid this scenario - deposits must be paid into special third party escrow account and no withdrawal can be made until both parties agree on who gets what. It works with honest letting agents but I know of a case in the UK right now where someone's done a runner with 100's of thousands of pounds of rent and deposits, he was the letting agent. The tennants and the landlords were all left empty handed.

Edited by ukrules

Just pay on time. It's on odd contract that says the rent is due on 28th but you don't have to pay it on that date. Anyway, this is all your own fault. Just pay on time. Why is that so difficult for you to do? You know he got angry once, so you did the same again. What exactly did you expect the second time? I'd have issues with you if you were my tenant.

Some of these posts are so juvenile, if you are afraid of him go the Thai way, then move out, want revenge ? Never mind being a snake have a word with immigration, then move out. If no deposit back make sure you do double the deposit in damage, it's so bloody simple. Have a word with the bib, a thousand baht will get him locked up. I would never suggest planting dope but I would also say never lose, I love taking on hard bullies.