can I own a car?

mogo51

I am wanting to purchase a car but not sure if I am allowed to own it with a blue book in my company name (for house), I am sole

director and on Non O visa.

Could you also advise if I am safe to buy a car that was owned by Thai woman, she sold it to a farang to get access to cash. I suspect it is a car that was proceeds from a failed relationship. It is not in finance or bank name, so as far as I understand, it is not financed? What should I obtain from the seller ie. statutory declaration etc.?

Thank You

It is not in finance or bank name, so as far as I understand, it is not financed? What should I obtain from the seller

You want to see the blue book, if you cant read Thai take it to an offical translator.

If not on finance go and arrange the transfer to your name.

In whose name is the blue book, the sellers?

The story I got is that the seller (farang) his wife's friend needed to sell the car quickly to get some cash. I think it is a farang/thai split thing, but only guessing. Car still in Thai name.

My other concern is it is only showing 4800km on odometer. Seems low but car is in good condition. I am told winding back is common here? No log book and that is a concern.

The story I got is that the seller (farang) his wife's friend needed to sell the car quickly to get some cash. I think it is a farang/thai split thing, but only guessing. Car still in Thai name.

My other concern is it is only showing 4800km on odometer. Seems low but car is in good condition. I am told winding back is common here? No log book and that is a concern.

You have to ask yourself why there is no Blue Book. It could be still in the possession of either the real Thai owner or a finance company? The Blue Book is essential for showing past owners, etc. I once bought a car (early in my Thai experience) which had two owners more than was advertised and had been 'clocked' 400 kms less. It cost me the same amount I paid for the car to get it up to my standard. 'Buyer beware!' And good luck.

Yes, you can own a car.

No, you must never trust an individual, Thai, Brit, or otherwise, in any car buying transaction. NO NO NO NO.

In your case, you could find "your" car is really owned by the bf or bank or a loan shark or a mean man or.......... Just go to an established dealer and buy a used or new car...... or take another kind of chance, worn out?...by buying a Hertz retired rental car... only international chain company.

NEVER trust anyone especially in Thailand. Write your name on your forehead to go into surgery, take hand phone videos of everything likely to be weirded later, and use only international chains or offices, especially for lawyers. Reason is, among others, weak Thailand chance for redress.

How much more clear can I be?blink.png

If the person that owns the car wants cash desparately they should just go to the nearest car sales tent and they'll get the real value (for a fire sale car). If you were going to give them more than the tent, then you weren't really getting a bargain, unless and it doesn't look like it, you knew the full history of this particular vehicle and therefore were willing to pay extra to get hold of it.

Personally I wouldn't want to buy it unless the history means nothing to you and the car is a bit special like an old 180 sl, then I'd throw caution to the wind and take the risk

Thank you all for the input. Just to clear up, the blue book goes with the car, but no log book (service history). The blue book is still in the name of the Thai woman, who sold it to a farang and he is on selling obviously to make a profit.

I have been burnt trusting a Thai once before and will not do that again, so I have decided to take the advice on the forum and give it a wide berth, as said, plenty of more cars around. Thank you all again.

• Like 2

Yes, you can own a car.

No, you must never trust an individual, Thai, Brit, or otherwise, in any car buying transaction. NO NO NO NO.

In your case, you could find "your" car is really owned by the bf or bank or a loan shark or a mean man or.......... Just go to an established dealer and buy a used or new car...... or take another kind of chance, worn out?...by buying a Hertz retired rental car... only international chain company.

NEVER trust anyone especially in Thailand. Write your name on your forehead to go into surgery, take hand phone videos of everything likely to be weirded later, and use only international chains or offices, especially for lawyers. Reason is, among others, weak Thailand chance for redress.

How much more clear can I be? alt=blink.png>

To be clear you could tell people about your bad experiences in the general topic forum, that's only weird thing here. biggrin.png

OP if it has a blue book in the Thai persons name and it's a bargain price there's nothing to stop you buying it after the car and book has been checked at the DLT office, your call, listen to scare mongers if you wish to do so.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

No book might be stolen steer clear go to dealer and bargain for price cash talks BS walks.

Thanks for your post, I graciously accept all posts, read them assess them and make my own decision, which I have in this instance.

I think I can find another vehicle for the same good price, with less problems. Just have had disappointment trusting Thais in the past and will continue to be careful. Your post is appreciated and understood, thank you.

Yes, you can own a car.

How much more clear can I be? alt=blink.png>

To be clear you could tell people about your bad experiences in the general topic forum, that's only weird thing here. biggrin.png

OP if it has a blue book in the Thai persons name and it's a bargain price there's nothing to stop you buying it after the car and book has been checked at the DLT office, your call, listen to scare mongers if you wish to do so.

Hey! But being a scare monger got me a popular star, isn't that the goal here? A members advice is useless unless you get a lot of likes? tongue.pngwhistling.gif Seriously though as often happens the original OP has morphed, of course if he has a blue book to show with the sellers name on it etc. the sale is legit, otherwise I'd say not so.

• Like 1

Kwasaki, I took your original post on board, clearly understood your points and took them into consideration along with the other comments,all of which I am very grateful.

I am not too sure we post to get likes, although it is good to get one now again, helping other members is my motivation.

• Like 2

Kwasaki, I took your original post on board, clearly understood your points and took them into consideration along with the other comments,all of which I am very grateful.

I am not too sure we post to get likes, although it is good to get one now again, helping other members is my motivation.

We share motivations but there are several members who have nothing else in their life but getting likes, it means so much to them they measure themselves and, their perceived importance on it and it sustains their fragile self esteem and ego's, they know who they are.. My post was all tongue in cheek but with a point behind it, it's not directed at Kwasaki but he knows exactly what and who I mean.

• Like 2

I looked at another car tonight, only 6 months old, only 8400km, excellent condition all the books and records, with 6 months insurance and tax paid, for an extra 60kBht, I thought it was a much better proposition, I have purchased this car. Very pleased with the car, no headaches and still a very good price. Thank you all for your help

• Like 1

We share motivations but there are several members who have nothing else in their life but getting likes, it means so much to them they measure themselves and, their perceived importance on it and it sustains their fragile self esteem and ego's, they know who they are.. My post was all tongue in cheek but with a point behind it, it's not directed at Kwasaki but he knows exactly what and who I mean.

I would say that too with the few likes you get. biggrin.png To us with 10x as much likes as you its a real important thing. I count my likes everyday .. bathe in them like dagobert duck

• Like 2