A local seamstress in Chiang Mai...?

BonnieandClyde

A girl who lives in a neighbouring soi and was our seamstress for the past several years is moving away. Newly married last year, her husband has found work in Bangkok, so they are relocating.

Now we are looking for someone to take the place of this girl who we liked very much. The work required is occasional alterations to ready-made clothes.

If any members could provide information about local seamstresses or small shops, it would be much appreciated.

I went with my g/f to have the zipper on her handbag fixed and the lady who fixed it was very proficient. She and another seamstress were tucked away in a far corner of Warorot Market and they were both very adept and skilled at their sewing stations.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I went with my g/f to have the zipper on her handbag fixed and the lady who fixed it was very proficient. She and another seamstress were tucked away in a far corner of Warorot Market and they were both very adept and skilled at their sewing stations.

Yep upstairs (Level 2?) inside the big Warorot building you will find a whole bunch of seamstresses, sitting down at their machines, day after day. Good prices and good work.

Thanks to both of you for that information. We'll go tomorrow.

• Like 1

The ones at Talat Warorot are very utilitarian with not a hint of ability to do anything imaginative/custom. We had a few things done by them and were very disappointed every time. They made awful cushion covers and messed up our kid's school uniforms. We would not go back. We found an excellent lady who does custom and high-end work about 50 meters from Dukes Mae Ping River on the same side but she is so good that she is swamped and her turn around is more than 40 days now - if she will even take the work. We have found another lady who is great and does custom work in Sansai, but we're trying to find out what's going on with her as she has been closed for about 2-3 weeks now. Neighbors say shes around just not working at the moment. If I get more info I'll update.

The ones at Talat Warorot are very utilitarian with not a hint of ability to do anything imaginative/custom. We had a few things done by them and were very disappointed every time. They made awful cushion covers and messed up our kid's school uniforms. We would not go back. We found an excellent lady who does custom and high-end work about 50 meters from Dukes Mae Ping River on the same side but she is so good that she is swamped and her turn around is more than 40 days now - if she will even take the work. We have found another lady who is great and does custom work in Sansai, but we're trying to find out what's going on with her as she has been closed for about 2-3 weeks now. Neighbors say shes around just not working at the moment. If I get more info I'll update.

Much obliged for the input.

The problem seems to be that the older women who retire due to poor eyesight or whatever, are not being replaced by younger people as in the past.

Most of the work we want done is rather basic, so we'll give the markets a try before looking for someone with more skill.

There is a technical school on Huay Kaew road, directly across the street from Nim Honda. I'm sure the spelling will be wrong but it is pronounced Surapachong. The sewing students there take on projects, and some of them are very proficient.

• Like 1

The problem seems to be that the older women who retire due to poor eyesight or whatever, are not being replaced by younger people as in the past.

Most of the work we want done is rather basic, so we'll give the markets a try before looking for someone with more skill.

Agreed... the old aren't being replaced by the young to the same extent as before.

Years ago there was a seamstress in almost every soi in the Wat Muang Guy/Sanam Golf area where we live. Now very few. The young girls have more career options nowadays.

Working in a bank or office brings with it the chance to join the "leun-mai" Thais with their smart clothes and new cars.

There are still many good seamstresses in Chiang Mai, but they are harder to find. A friend of my wife's mother used to do my sewing, but she had to stop because of her age and bad eyesight. Her three daughters are all CMU grads and on their own. A typical case.

Choke dee... hope you find someone.

Agreed... the old aren't being replaced by the young to the same extent as before.

Years ago there was a seamstress in almost every soi in the Wat Muang Guy/Sanam Golf area where we live. Now very few. The young girls have more career options nowadays.

Working in a bank or office brings with it the chance to join the "leun-mai" Thais with their smart clothes and new cars.

There are still many good seamstresses in Chiang Mai, but they are harder to find. A friend of my wife's mother used to do my sewing, but she had to stop because of her age and bad eyesight. Her three daughters are all CMU grads and on their own. A typical case.

Choke dee... hope you find someone.

That seems like a pretty good summing-up, and it probably applies to other skilled occupations as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Woman across the street from Nakornping Condo does good work and turn around in 3 days.

Might be useful to some people if you say exactly where Nakornping Condo is.

Isn't it the hi-rise on Charoen Rat just north of the Riverside?

Are you saying it is or asking?

I'm sure augustwest will enlighten people.

Woman across the street from Nakornping Condo does good work and turn around in 3 days.

Might be useful to some people if you say exactly where Nakornping Condo is.

Isn't it the hi-rise on Charoen Rat just north of the Riverside?

Are you saying it is or asking?

I'm sure augustwest will enlighten people.

Asking.