Nissan March - how uncool?

It's time to buy a car and although I can afford to buy a new car (outright), my budget is limited to the small Japanese cars. The Nissan March seems to be the cheapest and the 1.2 CVT EL is a stylish "Mini" looking car, which I prefer to the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris.

But in the UK it's a Nissan Micra and a seriously uncool car! I don't need to be a cool (well, I'm not cool!) but it's still giving me second thoughts.

Are there any cool Nissan March owners out there?

I drove one after my wife 'stole' my Prius (long story - we bought both cars on the same day, she thought the March was cute. After a couple of months she decided that she preferred the Prius). It was a surprisingly zippy little car. It only has a 1.2L 3-cylinder engine, but it's physically small enough for that not to be a problem. The continuously-variable (Xtronic?) gearbox is surprisingly not horrible, and the car will do around 15km per litre of fuel. Also it can drink E20. If you can stand to turn off the A/C and you have one of the models with the push-button-to-start system, the car can do the "turn off the engine when stopped" thing, too - which came as a complete surprise to me the first time it happened, but got used to very quickly. In winter!

The only downside is when driving around Bangkok, you do feel like the smallest thing on the road, and when stuck at the lights, the motorbikes do feel like they are swarming around you. I replaced the March last year with a 3.2L Ford Ranger - no problem with feeling small now!

Surprisingly much cooler than the horrible Micra I learned to drive in, in 1989!!

Your basing your judgement on cool or uncool

Do you normally do things that are based on public opinion based on looks?

I bought a new Almera which is butt ugly in my opinion.... Best little car I have owned... and if you think thats uncool... then I dont care :)

• Like 2

I bought a new Almera which is butt ugly in my opinion.... Best little car I have owned... and if you think thats uncool... then I dont care smile.png

I also bought an Almera and I am not looking to make a fashion statement when I use it. Note the word 'use ', that's what it's for. What is cool is that I have paid for it and it is very pleasant to drive. I happen to think that it looks ok. I regularly hired a large car previously and apart from one time driving at 170kmh for an hour or so on empty roads (ok, ok, I won't do it again but it's a long way from Chiang Mai to Buriram) I have not felt that driving the Almera puts me at a disadvantage. I drive easily Km 35 000 a year on all sorts of roads and drove big trucks for 40 years.

• Like 1

Plenty of reasonably prices used cars around if you want to look more cool for the money wink.png

I've never seen a reasonably priced used car in Thailand. Who pays 3-400k used when you can buy new for 4-500k. BTW Attrage/Mirage is worth a look see other thread.

• Like 1

Ive had one for over a year and find its a great little car, not the best at much but not bad either

For the price i thought it was best only issue was a rear brake which was completly replaced under warrtany

we considered the swift but it has less room for the driver and my wife didnt like the smaller boot opening

main issue with the swift at the time was no english information from the dealer of website to know what you were getting for your money (which is dearer for the swift)

Ill sell you mine as im going home on thursday lol

Cool or not cool, what a question about the looks of a car ?

Bought a 2nd hand pick-up while missus wanted to have a sedan.

Pick-up was one year old, less than fourthousand km, in and out

like new

and 250.000 baht less than new. Cool or not cool, I don't car

as long as it serves my needs well.

We have a March that is four years old and has about 19K on it. I don't know anyything about "cool" but this is absolutely the best car I have ever owned considering the initial cost, cost to operate, and driving conditions locally. The comparison list is long and includes a Suzuki Caribbean and a Ford Escape in Thailand. Sister-in-law bought a new Celerio (under 500K) and it is a comparable vehicle. I prefer the gas pedal on the March but that's just me. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and weight about 106 kg and space is not a problem. A short wheel base is critical now with allm the extended bed trucks which make parking even worse than it should be. If I totaled the March today, I would be at the Nissan dealer tomorrow to buy another March.

• Like 2

Plenty of reasonably prices used cars around if you want to look more cool for the money wink.png

I've never seen a reasonably priced used car in Thailand. Who pays 3-400k used when you can buy new for 4-500k. BTW Attrage/Mirage is worth a look see other thread.

...the man with the spare 100k in his pocket, that's who.

• Like 1

We have a March that is four years old and has about 19K on it. I don't know anyything about "cool" but this is absolutely the best car I have ever owned considering the initial cost, cost to operate, and driving conditions locally. The comparison list is long and includes a Suzuki Caribbean and a Ford Escape in Thailand. Sister-in-law bought a new Celerio (under 500K) and it is a comparable vehicle. I prefer the gas pedal on the March but that's just me. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and weight about 106 kg and space is not a problem. A short wheel base is critical now with allm the extended bed trucks which make parking even worse than it should be. If I totaled the March today, I would be at the Nissan dealer tomorrow to buy another March.

"If I totaled the March today, I would be at the Nissan dealer tomorrow to buy another..."

...assuming that you got out of it in one piece.

Two years ago, for me, it was a choice between the Nissan March and the Suzuki Swift. It ultimately came down to two things. One, the March has more cabin space and two, there was no Suzuki dealer close enough to our home. My wife's sister bought a Swift at almost the same time we bought the March. I can say that I think the Swift is "cooler" looking but the March is cuter. The dashboard of the Swift is much nicer looking than the March. Both cars are still fine after 2 years so no major issues there.

Yesterday, we bought a 48" TV. The box barely fit in the March. I don't think it would have fit in the Swift.

If I had to purchase one again, it would still be a toss up. I would maybe get a Jazz instead as it has a bit more interior room but is not that much bigger on the outside. The only thing is that I don't really like the look of the new Jazz. It is starting to look like all the rest of the cars on the road now. At least the March and Swift have kept their uniqueness.

Edited by Silurian
  • Like 2

...the man with the spare 100k in his pocket, that's who.

clap2.gif

Those prices are for Thais that cant get credit rated.So they pay through the nose.

I bought a new Almera which is butt ugly in my opinion.... Best little car I have owned... and if you think thats uncool... then I dont care smile.png

I also bought an Almera and I am not looking to make a fashion statement when I use it. Note the word 'use ', that's what it's for. What is cool is that I have paid for it and it is very pleasant to drive. I happen to think that it looks ok. I regularly hired a large car previously and apart from one time driving at 170kmh for an hour or so on empty roads (ok, ok, I won't do it again but it's a long way from Chiang Mai to Buriram) I have not felt that driving the Almera puts me at a disadvantage. I drive easily Km 35 000 a year on all sorts of roads and drove big trucks for 40 years.

I have to agree with that... Its the first time I have been able to go to a showroom and dump the cash on the table and say.... "That one"

We drove it from Chiang Mai to Pattaya to visit some friends... It was a long drive and as long as we did the pitstops every few hundred kms, it was fine... The thing is we really didnt have to as that car is so economical and quite spacious for what it is...

When I want some speed... I ride my Benelli i600 which is super fun to ride... Its one of the few new 4 cylinder bikes that are affordable for me ... (I included a pic of my car and bike)

post-112119-0-35202900-1415096573_thumb.

Edited by thhMan
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

BIL's March. Great little car and OK on the highways too. For some reason he has now completely covered with an orange sticker over the original paint. Still OK though.

Great picture! Makes it not a cheap looking car anymore. Actually reminds me at first sight of a mini cooper.

I have to agree with that... Its the first time I have been able to go to a showroom and dump the cash on the table and say.... "That one"

We drove it from Chiang Mai to Pattaya to visit some friends... It was a long drive and as long as we did the pitstops every few hundred kms, it was fine... The thing is we really didnt have to as that car is so economical and quite spacious for what it is...

When I want some speed... I ride my Benelli i600 which is super fun to ride... Its one of the few new 4 cylinder bikes that are affordable for me ... (I included a pic of my car and bike)

20140717_163749.jpg

Great bike man, I'm hooked on it. For the past week, I've been wanting to purchase a new naked/streetfighter bike. I wanted one that looked tough and would make me nervous just looking at it. Sadly, I wasn't too impressed with what the manufacturers could offer. I am not "wow'd". I came down to Kawasaki z800, Yamaha FZ-8N, and that's it. Kawasaki, I have never ridden their brand before, so not sure about quality and vibrations as well as reliability. My last bike was cbr rr. But now, you have given me an extra choice to look at. So how's the bike so far? Any honest issues, you can share with me? Reliability, any annoying problems, convenience, seat comfort, ride angle, etc.