50 police officers under probe for allowing billboards on Bangkok police kiosks

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

While I do not agree with police earning extra revenue for advertising, when I first came here I was informed that a lot of the police kiosks were either paid for or built for free by local companies, in which case (if true) advertising the sponsor would be fair.

Yes, but we must dig deeper.

A company paying for the building, water cooler etc etc., is also building (perhaps at very

little real cash cost) an insurance, when they have aproblem they try to cash in / get a

resolution which favors them by using the 'insurance'.

Corruption?

Edited by scorecard

Typo error should have read 50,000 he he, i was chatting to a bar girl last saturday, she was also chatting to this guy, he had the bar "T" shirt on," i said so he works here then" ?. reply "oh no he is a policeman, he looks after our bar and the bar across the road" normal practice then lol !!

Common knowledge for donkey's years but what is the connection with adverts on police booths?

The other day passing through a big intersection, I noticed the traffic officer was wearing a vest (with some reflective tape, so I guess for visibility even though overall, he still looked brown) with advertising for Paragon on it. Thought it very odd and why would it be allowed?

...because Paragon donated the high visibility vests?

Edited by Sviss Geez

Is there anything the BIB do in line with the law at all ??

Nope. Their function is to collect money, and send it up the

food chain. If a bit of law enforcement dovetails with the

money collection main job, then it is like killing two birds

with one stone. Example, the endless helmet check points,

a big earner for them.

This billboard story is pretty funny. Of the staggering police

corruption that the police need to deal with, I would think

worrying about bill boards would hover at the bottom of the list....

But I guess it looks like something is being done, without

really effecting the cash flow. I remember a story in the paper

that must not be mentioned, that talked about the income to

the police at around 30 billion baht a year.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

"make use of the empty space"

RTP are waiste of space & money

what about enforcing the law without pocketing bribes from people you like to "catch"

They do, regardless of what ignorant Thai police bashers think and post

Now why do you think that Thai police bashing occurs ??

Think carefully....

The other day passing through a big intersection, I noticed the traffic officer was wearing a vest (with some reflective tape, so I guess for visibility even though overall, he still looked brown) with advertising for Paragon on it. Thought it very odd and why would it be allowed?

...because Paragon donated the high visibility vests?

Or the officer there also moonlights as a second job at Siam Paragon, where they probably provide reflective vests for traffic control officers, which the BIB probably doesn't do.

After all, they supposedly have to buy their own motorcycles and even guns and bullets. Now you know what you're paying for, among other things like mia nois, every time someone gets pulled over.

'... the presence of advertising billboards at police kiosks ... was a sort of cooperation between private companies and the police to make use of the empty space for publicity purpose.'

Presumably because they've used up all the empty space on the adjacent roads ... and pavements.