Pink Floyd Just Made History One Last Time

Lite Beer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time -it's timeless,

"Time" for me has a better crafted guitar solo than comfortably numb IMHO

Folks can accuse Floyd of various failings but I stand convinced this song will stand the test of time, ( excuse pun) The contrast between the dramatic opening tension with the drums and the resolution with the song, the soaring guitar, the oh so relevant lyrics to English people

A classic of the rock era.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide some examples of "music catering to adults" that this sheltered AC/DC loving, mid 60 year old, grey haired human is missing.

Dont know where to start... maybe you could give all composers a try who are dead for 70 years and more and still interpreted/played till today on instruments who dont need to be electrical amplified.

YouTube is a great source for that. Just one example from millions:

Aahhh. Nothing wrong with classical music, jazz, nor country, nor any other genre. However to imply that one grows up and away from rock and roll implies, to me at least, that one never really did enjoy it much, especially if drugs were necessary.
You may have a point there, but seeing AC/DC, The Stones, Floyd, and so on riding on the same wave for 50 years making a spectacle of oneself, looks - childish

I was listening to that "be careful with that axe eugene" song and was wondering why my stoned, shoot up young mind was liking it so much that i had to play it 10 000 times?

Sex and Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll are definitively for the young.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide some examples of "music catering to adults" that this sheltered AC/DC loving, mid 60 year old, grey haired human is missing.

Dont know where to start... maybe you could give all composers a try who are dead for 70 years and more and still interpreted/played till today on instruments who dont need to be electrical amplified.

Aahhh. Nothing wrong with classical music, jazz, nor country, nor any other genre. However to imply that one grows up and away from rock and roll implies, to me at least, that one never really did enjoy it much, especially if drugs were necessary.
You may have a point there, but seeing AC/DC, The Stones, Floyd, and so on riding on the same wave for 50 years making a spectacle of oneself, looks - childish

I was listening to that "be careful with that axe eugene" song and was wondering why my stoned, shoot up young mind was liking it so much that i had to play it 10 000 times?

So much wonderful music over the last 60 years once that irresistible beat kicked in in 'Mystery Train', with every genre from folk, country, blues, rock, psychedelic, hard rock to punk and beyond exploring, expanding..

God bless rock n roll

You initially mentioned that one should listen to composers who died at least 70 years ago. Isn't that pretty much the same argument that you made against rock and roll - orchestras playing the same old stuff over and over?

Again, it does seem to me that if you are unable to appreciate the nuances of any music genre and believe that those bands are just doing the same thing over and over, you are not really enjoying nor appreciating that music and it is for the best that you move on to something that does does touch and move you.

Or just give up on that particular form of art - and make no mistake - rock and roll is a high form of art - for example Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Jagger/Richards, Lennon/McCartney etc are some of the finest song writers and poets in this lifetime and any other.

Please do not transpose your internal biases onto the rest of us and I promise not to do the same to you.

Take care.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I like any kind of music.

I doubt, that in 50+ years, in any bigger town around the Globe, will be a quartet performing Beatles songs on stage weekendly...

Well, if this is any measurement, 50 years on and there seems to still be an extraordinary amount of Beatles music being played everywhere, including by full sized orchestras who often include Beatles stuff in their repertoire.

I doubt, that in 50+ years, in any bigger town around the Globe, will be a quartet performing Beatles songs on stage weekendly...

Mr Buriram, how can you not like this? the stealthy lullaby beginning, perfect for looking out over the rice fields, the terror as a venomous snake creeps onto your porch, followed by the calm as it slithers away between the tiles, restoring tranquility to the scene.

From back in the day The Floyd made decent music, hasnt been played live since 1973?

Compare with this crap, nothing more than studio off cuts, is this what they call, topping up the pension plan?

The DB was all about breaking up with his wife, this is nothing more than a bunch of leftovers from the studio floor, nothing new here, move on.

Mr Buriram, how can you not like this? the stealthy lullaby beginning, perfect for looking out over the rice fields, the terror as a venomous snake creeps onto your porch, followed by the calm as it slithers away between the tiles, restoring tranquility to the scene.

Are you trying to send me on a flashback horrortrip?