11 million rai of land are to be reclaimed for redistribution to farmers

Lite Beer

So let's get this straight ... This used to be land owned by farmers.... But now owned by non farmers...

So presumably the land was sold by the original farmers who owned the land (illegally) and the transfer was signed off by government official in area land office (illegally) ....

And the bad guy is the one who bought it?

And the plan is to take it from the person who bought the land and give it back to the people who sold it the first time?

Any charges to be placed against those who sold the land illegally ?

Any charges to be placed against the presumably corrupt government officer that signed off on the transfer of ownership?

'Caveat emptor' as the old saying goes. Sure, if this thing goes through a lot of people will have got burnt. But that was the risk they took when they bought cheap land without a proper title. There was a reason that it was cheaper than chanote titled ground....

There are so many areas where what is national forest/government land that is on steep mountians/hills has been deforested and planted back to orchards. Much of this land is being farmed illigally, if you go by the angle of slope limit which has been in effect for years. I wonder how they will handle this type of illegal farm, much less the land paper invollved.

In the past 10 to 15 years I have noticed what appears to be total disregard for the laws of Thailand when land usuage is involved. I am just so proud that all of our land is chonate land. Yes wee have tournede down several chances to (buy) land that is not to be sold and I several people who did. I would imagine there are a lot of people who will be caught up in this type of illigel activity. As mentioned these people should be excluded from any new attempt to help the POOR farmers.

Still don't understand, if you don't have land, how can you claim to be a farmer??whistling.gif

300.000 to share 11 million rai, that is 37 rai per "farmer", more than the average landownership of farmers, who actually paid for their land!! Who said, hard work pays??

It does not but they will not be able to sell this land. So it wont make them wealthy, but they can make a living as farmer. Sounds good to me. That is in a perfect world where the land is really given to farmers. (yes I am a cynic too). The plan is good.. but will see if it works out good.

Not really what do you think the point of nor sor sam kor bor etc were in the first place ? same thing as this time

It was never supposed to be sold to make money and be anything but farming land but you know how Thai love to do as they please.

Many will be selling this land before the inks dry on the paper.

Whole lot of talk but in practise unclear how they will enforce land given away be farmed on....

It all depends on the enforcement .. let see how that goes. If its a sham then this project is a sham its that simple. I agree that there is a large chance your right but until the plan is good. Its a give people a way to make a living instead of the handouts the PTP is fond of giving (binds people better).

You do know the expression give a man a fish (PTP style vote buying) or teach them to fish (perfect scenario not sure if this works out this way). So the plan in theory is vastly superior to the PTP handouts, now I will give you this with the track record of Thais it will all come down to enforcement of non sale and non transference.

Oh please give it a rest, the proposal will stand or fall on its own merit, nothing to do with previous land distribution schemes or how they were implemented

More interesting is where the land for distribution is located, who is currently 'farming' the land, and will the scheme be an excuse to 'recover' land that has been 'converted' to chanote from Sor por gor

Administration could well prove to be difficult, as frequently family members allow relatives to farm their plot, for a modest return of a few kilos of rice, especially those who seek employment in urban areas but wish to retain their roots in the village.

It does not but they will not be able to sell this land. So it wont make them wealthy, but they can make a living as farmer. Sounds good to me. That is in a perfect world where the land is really given to farmers. (yes I am a cynic too). The plan is good.. but will see if it works out good.

Not really what do you think the point of nor sor sam kor bor etc were in the first place ? same thing as this time

It was never supposed to be sold to make money and be anything but farming land but you know how Thai love to do as they please.

Many will be selling this land before the inks dry on the paper.

Whole lot of talk but in practise unclear how they will enforce land given away be farmed on....

It all depends on the enforcement .. let see how that goes. If its a sham then this project is a sham its that simple. I agree that there is a large chance your right but until the plan is good. Its a give people a way to make a living instead of the handouts the PTP is fond of giving (binds people better).

You do know the expression give a man a fish (PTP style vote buying) or teach them to fish (perfect scenario not sure if this works out this way). So the plan in theory is vastly superior to the PTP handouts, now I will give you this with the track record of Thais it will all come down to enforcement of non sale and non transference.

Well like I say this is what the various land titles were always about originally. Its not really anything new just recycled nor is it clear if its just another suggestion or will actually happen. It is imo a handout that in the main will be resold as soon as they can.

I have lost count the amount of times we've been offered non Chanote land ridiculously cheap under nor sor or kor bor and always maintained when they (the authorities )want it they can just take it, so no thanks go find another mug. Im sure some will be wondering if that little gamble has ruined their lifes savings.

Unless theres a comprehensive system where the land remains owned by the state and is earmarked for specific names that also have to be renewed with the same owner on a regular basis its likely to be a mess.... Id like to be able to say Thais can be more responsible but tbh its unlikely. Might take a few years but 5 years on and id be willing to bet 50% of any free land will have been cashed out on somehow. In that way its nothing different regarding populist handouts and I dont really care whos responsible PTP or otherwise I have no respect or love for any of them.

Anything given away for free here is usually turned into cash asap and not used as intended.

Then again as far as charities are concerned its being proven direct cash donations to the poor directly rather than for projects or items provided often works far better so maybe a few less poor farmers wont be so bad anyway...........

The other question of course is where exactly this land is regarding location and is it actually farmable land anyway ?

I am not saying that this is perfect, I am also not happy with everything the Junta does. Maybe I had too much hope but many things the Junta does were good but failed because of the way things are in Thailand. But as others said this time land that was previously non chanote land and was sold is returned. It will make people more weary of buying it. This will be a big precedent and will wake people up.

I hope that things will be better but certainly won't bet my life on it, but there is a reasonable chance because they are reclaiming land that was sold of previously that was land that had no chanote.

Your point about it being farm able... I am no farmer not my sspecialtyso I would not no and would assume That some land won't be farm able.. but the main part will be.

First of all, when you retake the land, make sure you demolish every structure on it, and claim all the property on that land and put the illegal holders on the blacklist for future land distribution. Ban them from owning anything less than chanote status.

Also put the people on the blacklist who illegally sold allotted land in the first place. They had no right to sell land.

All free land given to the poor must be put on a blacklist at the land office and can never be sold.

Ban anyone renting allotted land to others from ever being allotted land ever again and evict them.

Yes let the communists control the people whom land was given

Who will be judge and jury on those who should loose land and those who should be given land? Me thinks this has been done before and exploited by those with power who can assert some muscle and claim the land?

Great idea but so far there have been many evictions of poor farmers and virtually no evictions of the wealthy who have grabbed forest reserve land. except for some mafia in Phuket who have been targetted. Even they may get it back.

Thai governments of all political shades have an abysmal record in land reform. No signs that this one will be any better yet.

Edited by Dogmatix

the problem is the land is returned to the landless farmers who then sell it again, this land has not just been stolen at gun point, the farmers have sold cheaply without the deeds was offered 20 ra of hill forest a few years back for about 200,000 baht but with no deed of ownership