Sometimes you just cant make it up

kannot

Am having a concrete road laid round my land, have used the builder before, his staff came 2 days ago and I asked them if they wanted a few fish from my lake. I went out and got 5-6 for them. The next day they decided this meant they could go at will and take fish again, this time borrowing my boat and bringing their own net.

My Wife told the boss this was "not on"

His response..............its my fault for giving them some fish.

Even my Wife was amazed at this reply.

Oh well he just lost the big job coming later, not that he'll care at all.

• Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had labourers working in my house with crappy tools, an old nail and a brick to hammer broken plaster off the walls, it would be fixed for free, warranty.

I gave them a real hammer, chissel and pizza, cold pepsi, cigarettes..

When they were gone the tools were missing as well. Later they had to work at another house in the street, i went there and of course they used my tools (which even had our house# in it marked).

Another company, for steel bars had done our whole house for 60k baht. 6 months later my wife called them to build a carport and some small roofs from stainless steel. (total job for 100k baht). The guy made an appointment but didn't show up. We made a new appointment with him but after 2 hours waiting we just went out without seeing him.

• Like 2

I had labourers working in my house with crappy tools, an old nail and a brick to hammer broken plaster off the walls, it would be fixed for free, warranty.

When they were gone the tools were missing as well. Later they had to work at another house in the street, i went there and of course they used my tools (which even had our house# in it marked).

Another company, for steel bars had done our whole house for 60k baht. 6 months later my wife called them to build a carport and some small roofs from stainless steel. (total job for 100k baht). The guy made an appointment but didn't show up. We made a new appointment with him but after 2 hours waiting we just went out without seeing him.

Had some workers at my house over the weekend and loaned them a few tools, a decent spirit level, a sharp saw, cement trowel, etc. Each day before they left, they made a point of separating my tools from theirs and pointing them out to me. They even returned a pencil. I was quite suprised as like you I have loaned tools to workers before only for the tools to disappear.

Yep, just put the troll on 'ignore' like many have.

Regards workers taking stuff, they will take the piss if you let them. Best to not go out of your way being kind and generous -- lending stuff, giving food/drink etc -- as it's just an invitation to do so. Tough to find a conscientious team here, do as much as you can yourself.

we had no trouble at all

• Like 1

Yep, just put the troll on 'ignore' like many have.

Regards workers taking stuff, they will take the piss if you let them. Best to not go out of your way being kind and generous -- lending stuff, giving food/drink etc -- as it's just an invitation to do so. Tough to find a conscientious team here, do as much as you can yourself.

All the posters here who have shared experiences of the give an inch and take a mile--thanks very much.

But Dave you may have summed it up best as well as your "ignore" suggestion.

Did that long ago--makes the world a better place.

Cheers all.

Had some workers at my house over the weekend and loaned them a few tools, a decent spirit level, a sharp saw, cement trowel, etc. Each day before they left, they made a point of separating my tools from theirs and pointing them out to me. They even returned a pencil. I was quite suprised as like you I have loaned tools to workers before only for the tools to disappear.

Ive used this builder before and there has never been any problem, yesterdays crew were folk Id never seen before, Ive often lent the old crew stuff and had it back but this lot are just taking the piss.

Its kinda sad that you give them some drinks some fruit and some fish and they do this.

Unfortunately it makes me treat all of them now without a thought.

I think the builders are also pretty busy and really round here dont care at all if they walk off a job as another one is waiting.

Ive used this builder before and there has never been any problem, yesterdays crew were folk Id never seen before, Ive often lent the old crew stuff and had it back but this lot are just taking the piss.

Its kinda sad that you give them some drinks some fruit and some fish and they do this.

I think the builders are also pretty busy and really round here dont care at all if they walk off a job as another one is waiting.

you CHOOSE to treat them all without a thought

• Like 1

Yes they have plenty of work, same here. Also i see them not finishing jobs so they can start a new job and that owner can't take another company anymore.

2 sisters in our street had their new kitchen + house-extension never finished. They had to rent another builder to finish it, i don't know why though.

Also other houses around here still have the scaffolding standing for a year, wheelbarrows and materials in the frontyard and the builders won't come back. Now i see that house for sale since a year, just the way they left it. Also there i don't know the story behind it.

At the lake here there a big warningsigns that fishing is prohibited because constructionworkers liked to fish there and drink beer after work.

In the moobaan where a friend of us lives there was a constructionworker from Myanmar who raped a thai actress in her new house. He got arrested for that. Be carefull with those guys.

Yes they have plenty of work, same here. Also i see them not finishing jobs so they can start a new job and that owner can't take another company anymore.

2 sisters in our street had their new kitchen + house-extension never finished. They had to rent another builder to finish it, i don't know why though.

Also other houses around here still have the scaffolding standing for a year, wheelbarrows and materials in the frontyard and the builders won't come back. Now i see that house for sale since a year, just the way they left it. Also there i don't know the story behind it.

At the lake here there a big warningsigns that fishing is prohibited because constructionworkers liked to fish there and drink beer after work.

In the moobaan where a friend of us lives there was a constructionworker from Myanmar who raped a thai actress in her new house. He got arrested for that. Be carefull with those guys.

Reckon I should get one of those security pigs they have at 7-11???

Only people who pay big deposits and regular payments suffer. Hold back the money,agree terms from the beginning.And stick to it.

If they insist on more tell them to leave knowing you retained enough money to finish the job.Fair play is fine but you are not a charity.

If someone turned up at my house with a brick for a hammer and a nail for a chisel they wouldn't last 30 seconds with me.Unless I previously knew they would and I was paying them extremely little.

• Like 1

Maybe the developer ran out of money,owing workers heaps.

I just let my "Thai Fiancee'" handle it. She gives nothing. She refuses to tip or give anything more than yin nam. She pays at the end of each day, after a thorough inspection. Dang. She's tough -- has had many experiences --- and puts up with nothing. I just open the door and say: "Go Get 'Em, Honey."

There is a Golden Rule for farangs in Thailand... let Thais front for you whenever and wherever possible.

That applies especially to dealing with people in the building trades before you develop a good working relationship with them. After that, you can handle things yourself.

As for theft on the job, it's everywhere, and some countries are worse than Thailand.

• Like 1

if i had to guess the foreigner spoke no Thai. a target for the workers and more times than not the Thai girlfriend. Only asking for trouble.

incredible how so many situations like this seem to happen same guys over and over!! lol

If you've been in Thailand for a while and don't know any Thais whom you can fully trust to act in your best interests, then you should seriously consider leaving.

I just let my "Thai Fiancee'" handle it. She gives nothing. She refuses to tip or give anything more than yin nam. She pays at the end of each day, after a thorough inspection. Dang. She's tough -- has had many experiences --- and puts up with nothing. I just open the door and say: "Go Get 'Em, Honey."

There is a Golden Rule for farangs in Thailand... let Thais front for you whenever and wherever possible.

That applies especially to dealing with people in the building trades before you develop a good working relationship with them. After that, you can handle things yourself.

As for theft on the job, it's everywhere, and some countries are worse than Thailand.

Unfortunately, one glove does not fit all. I would say foreigners who are not sufficiently fluent in the Thai language should let the Thais (wives/gfs/etc) front for them. For those who are lucky enough to speak the language and know the subject matter, you would probably get a better deal than if you had Thais fronting for you so go for it.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, one glove does not fit all. I would say foreigners who are not sufficiently fluent in the Thai language should let the Thais (wives/gfs/etc) front for them. For those who are lucky enough to speak the language and know the subject matter, you would probably get a better deal than if you had Thais fronting for you so go for it.

Sure, if you are fluent in Thai and you are savvy to the local situation, go for it. You may very well get the right people and a good deal.

The only way they will walk off the job is if they have been fully paid, no matter how many jobs are waiting for them, and apart from to buy materials, you should not pay them until yours is finished.

• Like 1

Only people who pay big deposits and regular payments suffer. Hold back the money,agree terms from the beginning.And stick to it.

If they insist on more tell them to leave knowing you retained enough money to finish the job.Fair play is fine but you are not a charity.

If someone turned up at my house with a brick for a hammer and a nail for a chisel they wouldn't last 30 seconds with me.Unless I previously knew they would and I was paying them extremely little.

You don't get it.

We bought a new house from a huge developer, they are still building hundreds of houses here. A new house comes with 1 year warranty. We got cracks in the walls (all houses have them) and we let them fix that for warranty 3 times in a row and the cracks still come back because those guys don't know how to plaster. You don't do that in full sun and also not in layers of 4-5 cm thick.

Everywhere you can see them filling the cracks with filler and then they paint the house.

Those developers use local thai contractors to build and in case of warranty they will send their workers to fix the cracks.

We could have sent them home but then nothing would be fixed.

Also our moobaan has many lakes. Some lakes were filled up with clay and then the week after that they start building new houses on that. Those ones still don't have cracks by the way, i 'm waiting for that but it didn't happen yet and they must be 2 years old now so no more warranty.

Edited by namdocmai

You don't get it.

We bought a new house from a huge developer, they are still building thousands of houses here. A new house comes with 1 year warranty. We got cracks in the walls (all houses have them) and we let them fix that for warranty 3 times in a row and the cracks still come back because those guys don't know how to plaster. You don't do that in full sun and also not in layers of 4-5 cm thick.

Everywhere you can see them filling the cracks with filler and then they paint the house.

Those developers use local thai contractors to build and in case of warranty they will send their workers to fix the cracks.

We could have sent them home but then nothing would be fixed.

This is spot on. One year warranty for the walls and pilings, five for the roof. This is exactly what is happening in the development where I live. Luckily, I have been able to get free service well outside the one year warranty period as there are still one or two houses which have not yet been sold so the developer still has a presence. The developer used outside contractors, but has some workers who do the repairs. Once every house is sold and they establish a company to take care of the development, there will be no calling on the developer to make further repairs.