Certificate of Residence - DENIED at Chiang Mai immigration

I just went back to the same Immigration Office close to Promenada-mall in Chiang Mai to get the same paper i got a about a month ago, Certificate of Residence, the only difference is the purpose of me getting this paper.

The first time they gave me one, because i said i needed it for drivers license, this time however the official claimed that they cannot issue a Certificate of Residence for the purpose of a visa, yet a Thai consulate demands this from me.

Anyone know what the deal, and solution is ? (yes i could probably lie and claim i need it for another drivers license, hoping the document text is the same ;) but it'd rather do it the proper way).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Which embassy/consulate is demanding the certificate?

Vientiane, from what i heard it's common practice at most Thai consulates to demand it for holders of multiple tourist visas, along with financial proof, the latter is no problem.

That seems very strange. On what grounds do you want to apply for a new visa?

That wasn't relevant, he didn't even look at my papers, he asked me:

'for what purpose do you need it for?'

my response: 'for visa'

his response: 'we cannot'

I tried to show him my papers, he refused to even look at any of my papers even my passport, he just claimed that they don't do this for purpose of visa at all. So obviously i'm either at the wrong office or the officer had a bad day, or im interpreting the term 'proofs of address in thailand' the wrong way.

I do have a rental contract, but i was assuming the consulate would want it 'locally verified' by the immigration here, the same way Road Department wants it verified when applying for a drivers-license.

Edited by Falllang

Vientiane, from what i heard it's common practice at most Thai consulates to demand it for holders of multiple tourist visas, along with financial proof, the latter is no problem.

There may be a misunderstanding here. They may want you to apply for a non-immigrant visa in stead of a tourist visa since you seem to reside here. But also for that certificate of residence is not required.

I do have a rental contract, but i was assuming the consulate would want it 'locally verified' by the immigration here, the same way Road Department wants it verified when applying for a drivers-license.

Don't assume, The consulate may want a copy a the rental contract, not a residence certificate.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Immigration only needs a copy of your house/flat contract not certificate of residence. The driving licence centre in Hang Dong needs the certificate of residence issued by the immigration department. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

That seems very strange. On what grounds do you want to apply for a new visa?

That wasn't relevant, he didn't even look at my papers, he asked me:

'for what purpose do you need it for?'

my response: 'for visa'

his response: 'we cannot'

I tried to show him my papers, he refused to even look at any of my papers even my passport, he just claimed that they don't do this for purpose of visa at all. So obviously i'm either at the wrong office or the officer had a bad day, or im interpreting the term 'proofs of address in thailand' the wrong way.

"Vientiane, from what i heard it's common practice at most Thai consulates to demand it for holders of multiple tourist visas..."

It seems a bit strange that you need to prove 'residence' when applying for a 'tourist' visa, even for multiple entry. I can understand why they want to see that you have sufficient funds but to show 'residence' surely means you are not a 'tourist'. But then again, this is Thailand!!!!

Edited by PREM-R

Since when is there an Immigration Office near to the Promenada Mall? Do you mean the one near to Airport Central perhaps that struggles to process everyone who goes there each day?

Since it opened recently to handle the migrant workers, there is also one on canel road.

Just to clarify for those who seem confused. The CM office near Promenada Mall is where you have to get your residence letter and changed to that location several months ago. All other business is handled at the main immigration office near the airport.

Thank goodness you stepped in! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

First off, you're in the WRONG office! That office was set up to handle Migrant (Myanmar, etc.) So unless you are Myanmar, Cambodian, Lao, I suggest you take your butt to the other office by the airport.

Sheesh, how long have you been here?

Sheesh how long have you been here that is where they issue the certificates now across the road from Promanada Center, I know got one there a few weeks ago, they moved this function several months ago by the way.

First off, you're in the WRONG office! That office was set up to handle Migrant (Myanmar, etc.) So unless you are Myanmar, Cambodian, Lao, I suggest you take your butt to the other office by the airport.

Sheesh how long have you been here that is where they issue the certificates now across the road from Promanada Center, I know got one there a few weeks ago, they moved this function several months ago by the way.

I second that, I got my certificate of residence for my drivers license in June or July 2014.. They had just moved to opposite promenada back then .. So they've been there 4-5 months.

it is realy crazy, that peopel writing here Bullsh*t If you dont know 100% so dont make any statements!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I just did my retirement visa in Chaing Mai and thought they would tell me to go get the residency certificate as well but all I needed was the rental agreement and a phone number for the landlord. Saved me 500B!

certificate is for free, no charge

At Chiang Mai if you wish next day service it is 500B. If you don't then it is around 10 days wait to receive it but no payment.

To the OP

Perhaps a general rethink of what you are doing and why might be a better way to approach this

If you are living here and have no issues with the qualification of funds and marital or age restrictions then why not get a 12 month extension of stay and stop pissing around with tourist visas

Edited by smedly

Do I understand correctly that you personally have not been asked for proof of residence in Thailand by the Thai consulate in Vientiane or any other Thai consulate when applying for a visa?

When I went for Cert of Residence ( drivers license ) I was asked: 1) Have you been here 90 days ---yes, 2) Do you have a lease ---yes, 3) do you have rent receipts --- yes ( show docuements ) 4) do you have 3 photos ---yes 5) that will be ( under 500B ) for 3 copies car-scooter-immigration copy ). 6) may I see your passport ---yes, 7) do you have copies of passport pages --- yes, -------10 minutes later I was leaving immigration with new docuements -- total time 15 minutes.

90 day report under 6 mins including parking.

HINT....I keep 5 current copies of all my "papers"

When I went for Cert of Residence ( drivers license ) I was asked: 1) Have you been here 90 days ---yes, 2) Do you have a lease ---yes, 3) do you have rent receipts --- yes ( show docuements ) 4) do you have 3 photos ---yes 5) that will be ( under 500B ) for 3 copies car-scooter-immigration copy ). 6) may I see your passport ---yes, 7) do you have copies of passport pages --- yes, -------10 minutes later I was leaving immigration with new docuements -- total time 15 minutes.

90 day report under 6 mins including parking.

HINT....I keep 5 current copies of all my "papers"

Where you getting residency or a 90 day report both seperate functions at most immigration offices, your post is a bit confusing about what you were doing.