Is Thainess now too much ?

RandomSand

I've previously spent a total of several years in the Kingdom and have considered buying a condo to visit every winter.

However; when reading Thailand's news headlines, about all the crime and injustice, I feel apprehensive about ever returning to Thailand.

For me "Thainess" is now too much and I doubt I'll ever return.

Anyone feel the same ?

• Like 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your post is very vague.

Are you referring to the weak legal system that is open to corruption? Or something else?

Buying a completed condo is generally a fairly straightforward process. There are many riskier activities, like getting involved in property development and land speculation.

You need to be more specific.

I see a massive potential for it all to go pear shaped very quickly.

Take driving a car, or going riding a motorbike, for example. We all know that if a drunken Thai runs into the road then you're potentially in big trouble.

I've already personally suffered because of the injustice, and yes, it does leave a bitter taste.

The fact is that if you have interaction with unsavoury people, even if you try to avoid them or any situation in the first place, these people will turn your life upside down and not give a hoot.

It would be nice to say "only one in a million chance" but that's not being honest with oneself.

What you describe can happen anywhere, in any major city. You are focusing on the negative.

You said "The fact is that if you have interaction with unsavoury people", then dont live amongst them, find an area that's more suited to your sensitivities.

• Like 1

I see a massive potential for it all to go pear shaped very quickly.

Take driving a car, or going riding a motorbike, for example. We all know that if a drunken Thai runs into the road then you're potentially in big trouble.

I've already personally suffered because of the injustice, and yes, it does leave a bitter taste.

The fact is that if you have interaction with unsavoury people, even if you try to avoid them or any situation in the first place, these people will turn your life upside down and not give a hoot.

It would be nice to say "only one in a million chance" but that's not being honest with oneself.

Many chances of the same happening on a m/c in most European countries, though not as bad as here. I have friends who refuse outright here to ride a m/c and they cannot understand why I do. Yet in almost 8 years, I had 1 accident . Not bad really.

You almost need that one (hopefully not serious) accident to keep you on your toes. It's like a rite of passage here.

• Like 1

The longer I lived here the less and less I had with (non-overseas educated) Thais and Thai society.

We live in a private village, the only Thais there are decent overseas educated Thais.

Our social scene is mainly Western expats and Western educated Asians. We have very little in common with Thai raised and 'educated' people.

Really the only Thais (raised and educated here) we have contact with are employed to serve us.

We take advantage of the good things, and have very little time or want for participating in Thai culture or society, or being around Thai raised and 'educated' people.

Works for us. mightn't work for others. That's the beauty of the World, we're all different, learn what works best for you and run with it. smile.png

Ive found the best ones to be ones with businesses ( not all though) usually their kids are abroad studying.

Posts removed

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

Post removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Define 'Thainess'.

It's the way of the world with regards to negative headlines making up most of the news.

It's not only Thailand.

There's no getting away from the fact that Thailand has some problems and some of the recent news (Koh Tao etc) has been genuinely depressing BUT I'd still rather live here than back in the UK.

• Like 2