Is Thainess now too much ?

RandomSand

lovely weather!

5 minutes of walking outside from 8am-8pm will result in most people's clothes sticking to them with sweat.

Summer in Western Europe is, for the most part, lovely weather, Thailand, not really no, unless you just need to lie still and vegetate.

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lovely weather!

5 minutes of walking outside from 8am-8pm will result in most people's clothes sticking to them with sweat.

Summer in Western Europe is, for the most part, lovely weather, Thailand, not really no, unless you just need to lie still and vegetate.

Where do you go the other 6 - 7 months of the year?

lovely weather!

No way.

post-187908-0-94222700-1415798169_thumb.

• Like 1

lovely weather!

Where do you go the other 6 - 7 months of the year?

We're typically in either Japan, Thailand or England. Not based on climate at the time.

Edited by greenfox
  • Like 1

lovely weather!

No way.

How boring would that be after day 3.

Never mind after day 365. crazy.gif

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Posts and replies in violation of the above have been removed.

• Like 1

That depends on what you are basing your decision.As they say location location location.

You choose to spend your time in the sewer, then you'll encounter more rats.

Roland might be a little upset about that

If one is in the sewer, well that's where he/she is.

Nothing to get upset about.

That depends on what you are basing your decision.As they say location location location.

You really are clueless.

I think some of " our viewers " seem to spend far too much time indoors and on the internet ! Why do you come to live in Thailand and not spend your days outside? it's a fabulous " outdoor lifestyle " it seems such a waste of lovely weather!

There is hardly any crime here! I lived for 20 years in Spain and spent a few years translating with the Spanish Police ( Guardia Civil ) and in Spain we had " real crime " robberies " muggings ( sometimes with baseball bats ) knives,and tourists " gassed " while they were sleeping,safes ripped off the walls, this all went on every single night !

Guys you have seen " nothing " you just need to " get yourselves out a bit more! "

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif

Nope...

Thailand is bad. bad. bad.

3rd world, undeveloped, corrupt... & all the rest of bad stuff.

(that's what most say here. NOT me.)

BUT, we still wanna live in TH 'cos where we come from should be worse, obviously.

You really are clueless.

Of course, so you say.

You really are clueless.

Of course, so you say.

Yes. Do you actually get the joke regarding Roland, or are you a bit simple?

You really are clueless.

Of course, so you say.

Yes. Do you actually get the joke regarding Roland, or are you a bit simple?

Sir, I am VERY simple.

smile.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

thainess doesnt bother me, farangness does.

Are you Thai because there is no such thing as Farangness?

Are you Thai because there is no such thing as Farangness?

Good Gawd man get off those baht buses and set foot upcountry, have you never seen the smiling buffalo as he hands over the money for the land the family already own, pays khun por for the gov't land he cant sell, puts down the deposit on the latest 'Tuna.

The same prix that wai their inherited stepson who has just told them to Ferk Offski in local language.

Wow what a sheltered live you lead.

Farangness, witness it every night, dumb farang taking up with the moo song (second hand for you) of Thai society, the same farang then builds a farang mansion upcountry, with a 3 meter high wall to keep the locals out, too late the locals have already moved in.

A 15 year old punk kid moves his 14 year old g/f into the house, who you gonna call, ghost bustas, yeah right.

Take a walk on de wild side JT, head out of yer comfort zone and head upcountry.

• Like 1

Farangness

Please pick the odd trait out. One of the below is not Farangness.

A. Is upset by double pricing.
B. Angered by spending large amounts of

money for family expenses.
C. Gets in arguments over 10 baht transportation services.
D. Thinks Farang is a disparaging word.
E. Thinks Thailand is the best and most advanced country in the world.

Feel free to add any better examples.

Edited by thailiketoo

Personally, other than reading about it, I never see ANY, most of the people I encounter are pleasant, you get the occasional "ferang" hike in price but generally life's pretty damn good with no hassle or issues at all, its a very quiet life, just the way I want it.

Others will have found there place that ticks all their boxes. You clearly havnt found yours and I suggest you try other areas.

yes i feel the same, i would not read too much into the news reports because you will note that most the bad reports come from the same few areas, if you choose to live in the rough touristy areas then you take the risk, but in most places in the kingdom it is a very friendly environment with crime no different than anywhere else.

Almost any place in the world deals with crime against tourists. Thailand has a bunch of these places, and you already know about them. Mostly scams and thefts. If you are politely, "tight" with your money, avoid late night binge drinking, and are not aggressive or impolite, you will most likely come out ok. Just remember that there are many people who know how to take a "cut" on any transactions you do. I like action, and do the outdoor activities...but we also hit the bar scene 3 or 4 times monthly. Those who limit their activities to drinking, are probably going to get more "action" (for better or worse), than I have seen.

With 2 years of experience, you probably have a good idea on whether you really want to own a vacation condo or not. I would not sell my home in my own country, to buy a vacation condo.... but some people have that kind of luxury. I owned places in Waikiki, Lake Tahoe and San Diego.....and most turned out to be good investments...but, in my case, I always saw the greener grass elsewhere. You might acquire a condo easily, but may have a more difficult time selling, for the immediate future. If that does not concern you....and you have plenty of cash, it just might make you happy to be an owner and not a renter.

Condos seem to be safely purchased....as you can actually own them outright. I rent a beautiful, large home for 5000 baht a month, and can leave anytime I want (I am not married, but have a long lasting relationship going on)..... Quite an advantage. I may return to my home country, when my son finishes school, and my social security kicks in. Also, I may have to take care of an elderly parent (I always think I will get there too late, and it bothers me). I find living in a spacious, uncrowded home/neighborhood much more comfortable than a stack of apartments, underground parking, and sharing common areas. Six month leases are possible....and, if you are lucky, you might be dealing directly with the home owner. The owner I rent from is fantastic. Only had to put 5000 baht for a deposit. (not furnished). We lengthened the lease from one to three years..and he is begging us to stay even longer. We might be an exception....or just extremely lucky. We treat the house with TLC....doing touch up paintings, fixing minor things ourselves, and making the outside areas attractive. That seems to make him quite happy.

Just make sure you get a proper visa. Tourists are allowed to buy condos, but you might raise eyebrows when you try to enter on a tourist visa. (if they know you are a condo owner). Seems they have not caught up on the idea of vacation homes for "long staying" tourists. They will see you as a "part time resident". Those that do stay quite a while (on tourist visas) who have hotel receipts and such, can stay the winter, every year,with no problem. It is just a precaution, in case you end up wanting to long stay. I am not saying it will ever happen, it just is a much safer approach to get an appropriate visa.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

Thailand is close to a tipping point.

Corruption is very high in comparison with 10 years ago. There is little rule of law and little chance of justice if sought. The place can become the wild west or it can turn to at least a little more orderly place.

Lest we forget, people torched the centre of Bangkok and up country town halls only a few years ago. I think its heading downhill and will get worse before it gets better.

Change and reform are the only way out.

Almost any place in the world deals with crime against tourists.

Nice post. Cheers. Considering the visa situation all those condos simply aren't saying "buy me".

I like Thailand and Thai people, especially in the North, but if the Thai government/Junta seek to restrict visitor's freedom, and treat non-thai as 2nd class "citizens", it's hardly surprising some people (like myself) will not feel welcome.

• Like 1

Lol, RGS can he get a Baht bus from Pattaya to Buriram??

They only sell one way tickets to Buriram. Then you "disappear from the radar". A few get a phone call out, and some, I hear, have actually made it back (only slightly worse for wear, but quite a few dollars short).

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

Thailand is close to a tipping point.

Corruption is very high in comparison with 10 years ago. There is little rule of law and little chance of justice if sought. The place can become the wild west or it can turn to at least a little more orderly place.

Lest we forget, people torched the centre of Bangkok and up country town halls only a few years ago. I think its heading downhill and will get worse before it gets better.

Change and reform are the only way out.

I don't know where you've been but corruption has gotten much better. When I got to Thailand there were opium caravans in the main streets of Chiang Mai, pitched battles between the army and the police over drugs and at least three independent armies operating in Northern Thailand. Compared to the good old days the place is now like the Switzerland of Asia.

I realize it is somehow in your interest to paint a bad picture of Thailand but it has really gotten 100% better than it was in the 1960's let alone before that when it was at war with the US and UK.

• Like 2

Almost any place in the world deals with crime against tourists.

Nice post. Cheers. Considering the visa situation all those condos simply aren't saying "buy me".

I like Thailand and Thai people, especially in the North, but if the Thai government/Junta seek to restrict visitor's freedom, and treat non-thai as 2nd class "citizens", it's hardly surprising some people (like myself) will not feel welcome.

Tell us the truth. It's a love lost romance thing isn't it? The lady left with you holding the bag and you are getting back at Thailand as a result.

• Like 2