Is Thainess now too much ?

RandomSand

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I was an older gentleman, I would be more interested in looking into basing oneself in Laos, more than Thailand.

Ya great hospitals and Sexual relationships between foreigners and Lao citizens who are not legally married are not permitted under Lao law.

Although I agree that perception can get skewed if you're constantly reading the news or this forum, the oft touted 'it can happen anywhere' really isn't true. In countries where the law is actually enforced and those found guilty of corruption are NOT automatically moved to 'inactive posts' but are fired and prosecuted, there's a large deterrent to screwing people over just because they can, without repercussions.

Try fitting up a couple of road sweepers on the flimsiest of 'evidence' over a heinous internationally reported murder and get away with that in your home country, for instance.

• Okey dokey
  • A black male born in 1991 has a 29% chance of spending time in prison at some point in his life.
  • Nearly one in three African American males aged 20–29 are under some form of criminal justice supervision whether imprisoned, jailed, on parole or probation.
  • One out of nine African American men will be incarcerated between the ages of 20 and 34.
  • Black males ages 30 to 34 have the highest incarceration rate of any race/ethnicity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics_of_incarcerated_African-American_males

Well honestly .....what do you want like minded comments to make you feel good or fishing for votes. The topic is subjective. I have my reservations of Thailand but its not up for votes. It depends what you want..... Women? Cheap food? Freedom for things your own country does not permit....it all depends. Honestly you can make yourself at home anywhere without having to fly your flag of ethics as territory conquered. Look positively at what your present has to offer in comparision to what you want to keep for the next 20 years. If its just the Winter visit..... then dont bother buying a house.... with time there would be many ghost houses for rent for much less with much more. Rent, travel the region - Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia and Indonesia.... they have a lot to offer without all the Immigration circus in Thailand. Malaysia has a good option 2nd Residence and you have a residence permit for 10 years. Myanmar will open up and if you are thinking of spending a quiet life....one to consider. The new horizon and welcome to ASEAN.

Working in a hotel in BKK circa 1994, I had conversations with two British women a few minutes apart.

Me to lady 1: "So how did you enjoy Thailand?"

Her: "It's dirty, it's disgusting, it's smelly, it's horrible, I'm never coming back."

Me to Lady 2: "So how did you enjoy Thailand?"

Her: "it's wonderful, the people are lovely, I've had a great time, I can't wait to come again."

One man's (or woman's) meat is another's poison.....

• Like 1

No.

You need to turn off the internet and go outside

There is crime and injustice in every society, just focus on what you can change and your own reality

To the OP, no, I do not want to go back to the UK, you have very expensive tv licence, very expensive council tax, very expensive road and petrol tax, very expensive this tax, and very expensive that tax, then you have to decide if you should eat, or heat your house instead. No, I will just stay here thank you.

• Like 1

I feel apprehensive about ever returning to Thailand.

Anyone feel the same ?

Well if you feel apprehensive, then stay home or go somewhere else. Why would anyone else feeling the same have anything to do with what you do.

As it is there are far too many people who decided to settle here and who now spend all their time kvetching and moaning. If you're old enough to travel unaccompanied, you ought to be able to reach a decision without turning it into some FaceBook-esque drama.

The poster. through negative impressions, is trying to discourage others from visiting Thailand. Nothing to do with him. He's already made up his mind.

so who they are?whistling.gif (dont tell me eldragon is talking nonsenselaugh.png )

Why do I get singled out? I've tried to be more positive and/or objective this week. Have you seen what some of the guys in the News forum are posting?

Yes, if one wants to complain about..the bashers...the newsforum is the place to be.....i have to admit though....some crazy news around there.

How do you feel...with the change of attitude ?

• Like 1

Thailand isn't for everyone.

Thailand can break your heart.

Thailand can encourage self-deception.

Thailand can also deceive.

Thailand isn't exempt from the human condition.

You can die in Thailand.

It's all true.

But that's also part of what makes Thailand an interesting place to live.

• Like 2

so who they are?whistling.gif (dont tell me eldragon is talking nonsenselaugh.png )

Why do I get singled out? I've tried to be more positive and/or objective this week. Have you seen what some of the guys in the News forum are posting?
Yes, if one wants to complain about..the bashers...the newsforum is the place to be.....i have to admit though....some crazy news around there.

How do you feel...with the change of attitude ?

Better. But I maintain some people think too much. And when any of us make blanket statements it should be assumed it's aimed at the less desirable people- Thais or foreigners- one meets here.

It seems you couple "Thainess" directly with "crime and injustice"

Do you think ol Somchai is happy when he reads about injustice in his ten baht Thai-Rath rag tabloid? You can bet your spicy papaya salad and cheap sex worker, NO, P'Som is not happy with that malarky.

Do you suppose that when Khun Nok gets on the BTS and hears about how the political party she voted for has been removed, she is impressed? I would gander a guess that old Nokkie may not be too happy.

What is Thainess? and How is it directly tied with crime and injustice?

Thailand is a very corrupt nation.

Thailand has a huge gap between rich/elite and the poor.

I think your condo may be ok and safe from social injustice and other travesties. The question remains, can you handle it?

Appears doubtful at this point eh

• Like 1

If I was an older gentleman, I would be more interested in looking into basing oneself in Laos, more than Thailand.

Ya great hospitals and Sexual relationships between foreigners and Lao citizens who are not legally married are not permitted under Lao law.

Well, that would mean you'd have to find something else to do other than go to hospital or have sex.

• Like 2

The longer I lived here the less and less I had with (non-overseas educated) Thais and Thai society.

We live in a private village, the only Thais there are decent overseas educated Thais.

Our social scene is mainly Western expats and Western educated Asians. We have very little in common with Thai raised and 'educated' people.

Really the only Thais (raised and educated here) we have contact with are employed to serve us.

We take advantage of the good things, and have very little time or want for participating in Thai culture or society, or being around Thai raised and 'educated' people.

Works for us. mightn't work for others. That's the beauty of the World, we're all different, learn what works best for you and run with it. smile.png

You really come off as a snob!

If I lived next door to greeny I would ask him to leave. He does not live up to my high standards. clap2.gif

.................."Really the only Thais (raised and educated here) we have contact with are employed to serve us."................................ Did he really say that ???

• Like 1

why would you even ask here in this forum....It's against the rules to post anything negative about Thailand here so you are only going to get positive comments. From my own personal experiences and friends I have met here, no one has stayed more then 2 years, keep in mind I am 30's and most of my friends are < 40.

I agree with the others rent and buy a place somewhere else where you can gain citizenship!

• Like 1

The longer I lived here the less and less I had with (non-overseas educated) Thais and Thai society.

We live in a private village, the only Thais there are decent overseas educated Thais.

Our social scene is mainly Western expats and Western educated Asians. We have very little in common with Thai raised and 'educated' people.

Really the only Thais (raised and educated here) we have contact with are employed to serve us.

We take advantage of the good things, and have very little time or want for participating in Thai culture or society, or being around Thai raised and 'educated' people.

Works for us. mightn't work for others. That's the beauty of the World, we're all different, learn what works best for you and run with it. smile.png

Yes, I probably do.

Should I apologize or something?

If I lived next door to greeny I would ask him to leave. He does not live up to my high standards. clap2.gif

.................."Really the only Thais (raised and educated here) we have contact with are employed to serve us."................................ Did he really say that ???

Did he really say that ???

Yes! cheesy.gif

That depends on what you are basing your decision.As they say location location location.

You choose to spend your time in the sewer, then you'll encounter more rats.

Personally, other than reading about it, I never see ANY, most of the people I encounter are pleasant, you get the occasional "ferang" hike in price but generally life's pretty damn good with no hassle or issues at all, its a very quiet life, just the way I want it.

Others will have found there place that ticks all their boxes. You clearly havnt found yours and I suggest you try other areas.

Yep,

tourist destinations, foreigner ghettos, islands and rural villages are all places to avoid.

Well, I live on an island that is also a tourist destination, and I’m very happy here – permanently for almost 10 years now.
Reads the news about crime etc. but don’t see it where I’m outing and mingle – I also read the news from my home country and that makes me happy not to stay there anymore: to much crime and injustice... wink.png
Perhaps a question on how one see things, like a “half empty” or “half full” glass...? whistling.gif
  • Like 1

Yep, it's changed, a lot more aggressive and pricier than it used to be, don't listen to those who say it ain't and all is rosy. I recommend renting. wink.png

dave, you just described Australia and probably a lot more western countries I have never been to.

The world is changing and Thailand is not exempt. My advice to anyone who does not like what is going on in Thailand is either live with it, or go. Don't hang around complaining about everything. Some of us have wives who already provide that service. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2