Self-defence lessons through 'Tactical Line'

Lite Beer

Self-defence lessons through 'Tactical Line'
Wisit Chuanpipatpong,
Pakorn Puengnetr
The Sunday Nation

30247865-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A video clip of a man on a motorbike snatching an old woman's purse and dragging her along for several metres, or the clip of a robber hitting a tourist on the back of her head are serving as reminders of how life in Bangkok is getting dangerous.

In response to this, a new series called "Tactical Line" was created to show Bangkokians or any Thai elsewhere how they can avoid becoming victims by teaching them self-defence tactics. The series can be watched on the Centaur Tactical Channel on YouTube.

"Tactical Line" is hosted by former national fencing champion Bancha "Tong" Shoosongdej, who manages Chulalongkorn University's Sport Centre, and former special-operations unit officer Colonel Teeranan Nandhakwang.

Teeranan, who still serves in the Army, said it is not difficult to learn self-defence skills and that the programme show how people can apply these skills to their daily life.

The first episode focuses on rules people should strictly stick by when using a gun. The Army officer said that there are four rules people should adhere to when holding a gun to prevent accidents. They are:

l The gun should always be considered as loaded, so one is always careful when handling the weapon;

l Never ever point the gun at a person or thing you do not mean to shoot. In the episode, Bancha shows how to point the gun in a safe direction;

l Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot;

l Be aware of your target as well as the foreground and background.

Teeranan explained that shooters must realise that if the wall behind them is strong, then the bullet may be deflected and hit other people, and if the wall is thin, then the bullet can go through it and hurt people behind it.

He also warned that people should realise that these four rules may still not be enough to prevent accidents if the gun users are not cautious and with self-awareness. He said the first episode's aim was to explain to people that being alert and prepared for the unexpected was very important.

The title of the next episode is "Everyday Carry", and it focuses on the items that one should always carry and how they can be used to protect oneself, he said.

"Tactical Line" will also cover other topics such as how one can escape from a sinking car, escape from the fourth floor of a building on fire and how to protect oneself when faced with a criminal wielding a knife.

"Some topics might appear to be too far-fetched, but anything can happen. This show is not about showing off talents, but about teaching people how to protect themselves, because if we can do it, you can do it too."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Self-defence-lessons-through-Tactical-Line-30247865.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-16

How long before the military step in as this isn't portraying Bkk, or LoS, in a favourable light and that's not on ?

Didn't the PM spend time at two recent international conferences that the country was safe but this potentially valuable programme is going against his words.

Edited by NongKhaiKid
  • Like 2

Call me crazy, but those who carry and use guns could not care less how many people they hurt.

Looking at some murders because of chicken sauce or an unpaid 200 baht bill , I doubt those with guns even have the ability to think at all.

May be they should run a show showing what happens after you use a gun and get caught

Edited by konying
  • Like 2

Most of this article is about advising on gun use as a defense against street crime. Oh boy!! Welcome to safe Thailand. If the muggers don't get you, the concealed carry Thais will when firing at the muggers. Preposterous program and philosophy.

• Like 1

Most of this article is about advising on gun use as a defense against street crime. Oh boy!! Welcome to safe Thailand. If the muggers don't get you, the concealed carry Thais will when firing at the muggers. Preposterous program and philosophy.

Advising carrying a gun to protect against street crime isn't LoS publicity in the best TAT traditions.

The station will likely get a visit from the BIG ( Boys in Green ) very soon.

"Teeranan explained that shooters must realise that if the wall behind them is strong, then the bullet may be deflected and hit other people, and if the wall is thin, then the bullet can go through it and hurt people behind it."

Shouldn't that be the wall in "front of them"?

Or have some people really got no idea which end of the gun they should be pointing with?

Or, as the whole programme seems to be just sensationalist, opportunist, "look at me, aren't i cool", macho man posing, are they demonstrating trick shots?

Edited by Bluespunk

Or, as the whole programme seems to be just sensationalist, opportunist, "look at me, aren't i cool", macho man posing, are they demonstrating trick shots?

Yeah, and Top Gear for years makes their duckets by showing which street car gets from 0-200 KPH fastest. As if you can drive a car safely on the street at 200 KPH.

Yeah, and Top Gear for years makes their duckets by showing which street car gets from 0-200 KPH fastest. As if you can drive a car safely on the street at 200 KPH.

No argument from me there. Can't stand the programme. And that was before all the fuss over JC's prejudices erupted.

• Like 1

Two questions for the show's hosts:

Where can tourists planning on visiting Koh Tao, get a CCW permit?

If you are wearing a bikini, where do you conceal the gun?

Depends on the size of the gun or concealment location

There actually are useful rules for safety and self-defense, but they don't begin with how to handle a gun. That's a much more advanced topic that ought to be taught to legal owners by qualified instructors in an appropriate environment. Otherwise

1. Be aware at all times of possible threats in your immediate environment. Avoid environments that include a high probability of threats, and avoid behaviors that invite threats or impedes your awareness.

2. When faced with an imminent threat:

a. Make lots of noise and run away. Literally. If that isn't possible

b. Surrender your valuables rather than risk bodily harm. But

c. If bodily harm is imminent (This is where proper [CCW and other] training come in.) then

Go into all out, no holds barred aggression until the threat is eliminated. Your only objective becomes stop the threat as quickly as possible without sustaining any damage or immediate future risk to yourself. Martial arts teach this. Legitimate gun classes teach this. They also teach awareness of the relevant laws should you cripple or kill someone in self-defense. And good luck to all you righteous folks who say you would rather die than harm another person. I hope you are never faced with the choice.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

'Be interesting to see the next episode- "Everyday Carry".

Lots of threads here wondering if it's legal to carry pepper spray, knives, batons, baseball bats, etc. Maybe they'll shed some light...

This has been a common question to Siam Legal. As I have read, all the items you mention are illegal weapons except for the baseball bat if you are going to or returning from a baseball game as a player. Weapons have to be "incidental" in nature. That is, they were not intended to be carried primarily as weapons such as a walking stick or umbrella that could become a makeshft weapon. A knife might pass depending on its ordinary use but they are easily turned against a victim.

I have more than 18 years experience in teaching self defence as part of my job as a Krav Maga instructor, it's taken me around the World. The article mentions a foreigner getting hit on the head from behind as one of the issues.. In my years of doing this, around the World, I get presented with new local "challenges". In south America, for example, a knife threat it different to Europe as the knife will be constantly moving so we have to find new solutions. I have never found a solution to being hit over the head from behind, apart from the usual situational awareness stuff so what they're going to show to address this will be interesting! On a side note I was being interviewed by Paul Ross on Radio London in the 90's and he asked me what do you do if you get stabbed in the back? My answer was "bleed, you've been stabbed" but obviously the answer is to jump forward (if you can) and try not to get stabbed twice. I think this will be an interesting show (from a professional point of view anyway)

• Like 1

Call me crazy, but those who carry and use guns could not care less how many people they hurt.

Looking at some murders because of chicken sauce or an unpaid 200 baht bill , I doubt those with guns even have the ability to think at all.

May be they should run a show showing what happens after you use a gun and get caught

Having used and legally carried open and concealed, I can assure you that your first statement is complete nonsense. But your welcome to your own opinion however misinformed it is unless you're specifically referring to criminals, gang-bangers, drug cartel members, and rouge cops, then your statement may have some validity.

You are not allowed to carry a firearm into a public place whether concealed or not.

The only exceptions are taking a firearm to a shooting range or to a gunshop.

You may keep a firearm in your car for protection but you need an additional permit.

So this series is a load of BS.

"Teeranan explained that shooters must realise that if the wall behind them is strong, then the bullet may be deflected and hit other people, and if the wall is thin, then the bullet can go through it and hurt people behind it."

Shouldn't that be the wall in "front of them"?

Or have some people really got no idea which end of the gun they should be pointing with?

It appears that what Teeranan is talking about is common sense IF you have to handle a firearm. Nobody is required to be trained when buying a firearm, which in itself is crazy!

Non owners and those who are not or have never been competent with a firearm should watch the show for their own protection, if someone is handling a firearm nearby and not handling it safely then it's time to "bug out"!

Even if you have a firearm and you confront a person who has a knife remember, if they are within 8 yards/meters they can kill you before you can stop them! Keep your distance! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

There actually are useful rules for safety and self-defense, but they don't begin with how to handle a gun. That's a much more advanced topic that ought to be taught to legal owners by qualified instructors in an appropriate environment. Otherwise

1. Be aware at all times of possible threats in your immediate environment. Avoid environments that include a high probability of threats, and avoid behaviors that invite threats or impedes your awareness.

2. When faced with an imminent threat:

a. Make lots of noise and run away. Literally. If that isn't possible

b. Surrender your valuables rather than risk bodily harm. But

c. If bodily harm is imminent (This is where proper [CCW and other] training come in.) then

Go into all out, no holds barred aggression until the threat is eliminated. Your only objective becomes stop the threat as quickly as possible without sustaining any damage or immediate future risk to yourself. Martial arts teach this. Legitimate gun classes teach this. They also teach awareness of the relevant laws should you cripple or kill someone in self-defense. And good luck to all you righteous folks who say you would rather die than harm another person. I hope you are never faced with the choice.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

You are not allowed to carry a firearm into a public place whether concealed or not.

The only exceptions are taking a firearm to a shooting range or to a gunshop.

You may keep a firearm in your car for protection but you need an additional permit.

So this series is a load of BS.

Firearm laws are strong in Thailand. However, as with all things enforcement of the law is somewhat selective.

Nevertheless you are right, this does appear BS.