How do you deal with the heat? Seriously...

joeyg

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never gotten used to it. I get cranky and slightly lazy. I tend to move rather quickly and to work rather fast around the house and that gets me extra heated up, then I have to take time to cool down. I wish I were more like the Thais and could just plod along. I'd get more done.

This year has been particularly unpleasant, at least the last several weeks.

I have never gotten used to it. I get cranky and slightly lazy. I tend to move rather quickly and to work rather fast around the house and that gets me extra heated up, then I have to take time to cool down. I wish I were more like the Thais and could just plod along. I'd get more done.

This year has been particularly unpleasant, at least the last several weeks.

I just crashed out today; wife and son were out. I meant to turn the air con on , but fell asleep!

I think you get used to it.. I have to wear a work shirt and pants everyday... its not like short and a T-shirt.. the first year I worked here it was terrible.. but body has gotten used to it... Also I don't go out in the middle of the day.. plan around the heat.

Without an air con here would be impossible for me.

My fist three months I remember how I was always tired.. work sleep work sleep is all I did.

Edited by wow64

I think you get used to it.. I have to wear a work shirt and pants everyday... its not like short and a T-shirt.. the first year I worked here it was terrible.. but body has gotten used to it... Also I don't go out in the middle of the day.. plan around the heat.

Without an air con here would be impossible for me.

My fist three months I remember how I was always tired.. work sleep work sleep is all I did.

I'll never get used to it, but prefer being hot to too cold ( don't get used to that either ).

• 1 month later...

I have a difficult time handling the +40 C temperatures, I spent most of my life in a northern country and - 40 C was more common. I am also not built like most Thais either.

How I deal with it is get up just after 5 am make a coffee and water the yard then potter around until after 10 am. On the hot days I play internet catch up near my air conditioner, read and maybe catch a nap. I shop in A/C stores in my town or drive into the Ubon malls on hot days.

If a go out during the heat of the day on my scooter I tend to jump into every lake and running irrigation ditch I see! After getting cool in the water the breeze from the scooter trip feels great. I supplement that with frequent showers and hosing down in the yard. I even set a blow up pool on the front lawn on real hot spell for a dip and cold Leo.

kudoos for not being an a/c man.

i'm not either and i have lived in more hot and humid climates then thailand. in fact, i detest being in a cold a/c room, vehicle or mall. would take hot air blowing any day.

I always laugh when people complain aboout the heat and are beneath using a fan.

but in your case you site age and weight which can make things feel hotter then they are.

for the answer you will "get used to it". well you can "get used to anything". i can "get used" to eating seaweed on a deserted island. does that make it desirable? does it mean one should never mention the lack of ice cream or beer?

many people would simply say it's all in your head, ie focus on the positives and stop complaining. this would be one concrete example where that does not work...unless your some type of guru or buddhist holy figure.

i wouldn't wish to ask the obvious question but for those of you who don't like the heat of hot countries why did you choose to come and live in Thailand ?

F.J x

Since the 1960's air conditioning and beautiful women have been available to Western men in Thailand.biggrin.png

Hilarious anecdotal advice on this thread. Yep, eat Thai local cuisine and drink lots of H2O. Nope, won't make a difference. It is simply HOT here and either it bothers or not. As for me, not a big deal other than exercising. In great shape but sweat more than hippo a would in the Sahara.

i wouldn't wish to ask the obvious question but for those of you who don't like the heat of hot countries why did you choose to come and live in Thailand ?

F.J x

Now Canarysun it is only 2 - 3 months that are very hot, the rest of the year is just fine. There is nothing wrong with spending money to put on an air conditioner or even installing a pool to make ones life more enjoyable. Life shouldn't just be about seeing how cheaply we can live, eat or travel.

Using http://www.csgnetwork.com/canhumidexcalc.html today I get

The humidex factor is 47 C
The humidex factor is 117 F
Dangerous discomfort.

which means sit down and have a beer.

However, you do get used to it, I now dawdle along the streets like a Thai, don't worry about being inefficient at doing things, shower up to four times a day. Having a beer at midday helps you sleep through the worst of the heat.

F.J x

Now Canarysun it is only 2 - 3 months that are very hot, the rest of the year is just fine. There is nothing wrong with spending money to put on an air conditioner or even installing a pool to make ones life more enjoyable. Life shouldn't just be about seeing how cheaply we can live, eat or travel.

LOL. Where I live only about 3 months are not very hot, the rest of the year is terribly hot.

AC is not an optional luxury here for me.

F.J x

LOL. Where I live only about 3 months are not very hot, the rest of the year is terribly hot.

AC is not an optional luxury here for me.

Leave South Florida and move to Thailandbiggrin.png

Set the AC to 22-23 and use a nice blanket.

That's weird but I'm like you.

Why is it that you need a lower temperature and a blanket to sleep comfortably ? Turn the thermostat a bit higher, around 23-25 C, then you dont' need blanket but you don't sleep well, feel too hot. Can someone please explain ?