Chickens, Ducks or Geese?

Costas2008

As I’m bored being all day in front of my computer posting on TVF, I had a brilliant idea.

Start a chicken, duck, geese farm on my land.

The problem is, I’m not sure with which one shall I start first, chicken, ducks or geese?

Wife says, chickens because duck and geese kee, men (smell bad) a lot.

Already asked somebody from the village to come and dig and erect an enclosure of about 15 x 15 meters which I intend to close with mesh wire and put a corrugated roof on top.

That was a week ago and only God knows when and if he will appear.

Anyway, as never before in my life got involved with chickens, ducks or geese, except eating them, I would like your expert advice as to how I should proceed with this project.

Do I need to build wooden houses also, so they can sleep and lay their eggs?

Should I concrete the floor or leave the earth as is?

Feeding and water is OK, I can get some troughs for them to eat and drink from.

But the main question is, chickens, ducks or geese?

I do understand that if I get ducks I need to provide a little pond so they can splash in.

But have seen one in Global House already, it’s for the kids to play with water but will do for the ducks also.

I will really appreciate your answers.

Many thanks

Costas

ducks are easy to keep you can tie them up like a dog you tie a piece of pork fat to a roll of string the duck will eat it and goes straight through shitting it out

the next duck will do same etc you can have 100 ducks tied up at the back door donnt need a yard

Please check with your doctor, you haven't been infected with that super stupidity virus that was reported the other day on TVF.

• Like 2

I previously had chickens, built a hut.

Just got a couple of ducks, no pond, no hut. They just sleep and lay eggs on the grass. Eventually I'll get round to a pond and hut..

Ducks are easier to keep, lay more eggs. and seem to fend for themselves better than chickens.

1 duck lays 9 eggs in 10 days.

1 chicken lays 2 eggs in 3 days.

Not to mention duck eggs sell for twice the price of chicken eggs (3-4bht each Vs 6-8bht each).

Each duck costs me under 10bht a week in grain and feed, so far.

I know nothing of geese.

PS

both my chickens and ducks were equally friendly. Follow me around the garden, sit with me, etc.

neither the chickens or ducks needed males to lay. Suspect geese don't either.

post-151798-0-71716700-1416125666_thumb.

I have no idea what breed these ducks are, a male was given to me, the female cost 100bht. Both 6 months old.

About to spend another 100bht for another female.

Boiled duck egg sandwich is great!

My gf recons' they taste different to chicken eggs, but I couldn't tell and taste difference.

Boiled duck egg a bit harder to peel than boiled chicken egg.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Chickens do not show any affection to humans. Ducks do, in very rear occasions. Geese can show really affection to people.

Chickens lay eatable eggs, ducks and geese do also, but not so many, more difficult to collect (they are protected by the birds)

Chicken meat is easy to sell.

Concrete floor I should choose. It is easy to clean. In case from a disease, you are able to clean the house much faster and better.

Geese, you also need a pond. They only mate in water, and only after mating they will lay eggs (what they really protect)

Thai say, "when you have geese on your property, you do not have snakes" I did not notice this, but maybe it is true?

I should choose the chickens, easy, to keep, easy to feed.

We have around 25 now (I know not the amount you are looking for) At night they enter their own ren. In the morning they lay their eggs (about 1 chicken 1 egg daily) in the afternoon we let them free, so they eat all flees, ticks, worms and caterpillars from our grass and plants.

When they are inside in the evening we lock the ren. Same process again.

Regards, Arjen (from M school)

Thank you very much, Arjen, a very informative reply.

I'm only thinking of getting about 10, as a beginning and see how it goes.

More interested about the fresh eggs than the meat.

As I said before, wife keeps on about the chickens more than the others.

Another question, can I mix them together?

Let's say 10 chickens, 4 ducks and 2 geese?

Can they live together?

Many Thanks

Costas

We have geese, ducks, guinea fowl and chickens of assorted shapes and sizes. It's really a zoo rather than any sort of farming, they're all pets, Wifey would never dream of eating her friends even the ruddy fish, (just getting to 'grill' size too).

Everyone seems to get on ok, roosting in their own favourite spot (chickens have a lockable house but everything else sleeps 'rough').

We do have a large secure garden so no issues with predators mind.

I have railings rounds my garden, the ducks can easily squeeze through, but they don't.

If we leave the gate open, they don't leave either.

Haven't a clue why.

Good pets, couldn't imagine eating them, no problem eating the eggs though.

Just got a couple of ducks, no pond, no hut. They just sleep and lay eggs on the grass. Eventually I'll get round to a pond and hut..

Ducks are easier to keep, lay more eggs. and seem to fend for themselves better than chickens.

Not to mention duck eggs sell for twice the price of chicken eggs (3-4bht each Vs 6-8bht each).

I know nothing of geese.

PS

both my chickens and ducks were equally friendly. Follow me around the garden, sit with me, etc.

attachicon.gif2014-11-14 17.19.38.jpg

I have no idea what breed these ducks are, a male was given to me, the female cost 100bht. Both 6 months old.

My gf recons' they taste different to chicken eggs, but I couldn't tell and taste difference.

Thank you, AOA, another informative answer.

Can I ask you how big is the hut you got for them?

Am I going to spend too much to build this enclosure I'm thinking about or should I only build a small hut and let them free running around in the land?

The land has got a garden wall around about 2mts high, the only way out would be the front gate but I can put some mesh wire on it.

Can they fly over the 2 meters?

Many thanks

PS. Can you please also tell me, have you put anything in the hut to sleep and lay the eggs?

I'm speaking about the chickens.

Edited by Costas2008

We have geese, ducks, guinea fowl and chickens of assorted shapes and sizes. It's really a zoo rather than any sort of farming, they're all pets, Wifey would never dream of eating her friends even the ruddy fish, (just getting to 'grill' size too).

Everyone seems to get on ok, roosting in their own favourite spot (chickens have a lockable house but everything else sleeps 'rough').

We do have a large secure garden so no issues with predators mind.

Crossy, thank you.

If I can ask you, how big is the lockable house you got for them?

What have you put inside?

Many thanks.

Back in the US, I built the hut because it was too cold for them to live outside.

Just a simple A-frame wood hut about 1m high and 1x1m base. Hinged back, and small door in the front, straw inside.

I had 4 big female chickens (Black Rock), the hut could have taken 6-8.

The chickens mainly laid the eggs in the hut, but not always.

No enclosure, they just wandered around the garden.

These birds all seem to learn where they live very quickly, and never stray far.

The chickens could fly over any wall, usually fly up to wall and perch, then fly down the other side.

Not often, but they would fly back before the evening.

Other people's dogs are more a risk than the birds escaping.

In the US a dog broke down my fence and killed the lot.

You can't keep a big dog out.

• Like 1

Back in the US, I built the hut because it was too cold for them to live outside.

Just a simple A-frame wood hut about 1m high and 1x1m base. Hinged back, and small door in the front, straw inside.

The chickens mainly laid the eggs in the hut, but not always.

No enclosure, they just wandered around the garden.

These birds all seem to learn where they live very quickly, and never stray far.

The chickens could fly over any wall, usually fly up to wall and perch, then fly down the other side.

Not often, but they would fly back before the evening.

Other people's dogs are more a risk than the birds escaping.

In the US a dog broke down my fence and killed the lot.

You can't keep a big dog out.

Thank you, that's what I'm worried about, the neighbours dogs.

Although they have chickens also running around in their land and sometimes come in to mine but the dogs don't seem to chase them.

Saying that I don't know if their dogs are used to their chickens but they will attack mine.

Thank you, that's what I'm worried about, the neighbours dogs.

Although they have chickens also running around in their land and sometimes come in to mine but the dogs don't seem to chase them.

Saying that I don't know if their dogs are used to their chickens but they will attack mine.

If the dog's been trained not to chase chickens, yours should be OK too.

I had a big dog, a slap on the nose when it chased a chicken (about a week doing that), cured it forever.

Same for the children!

6 geese can protect themselves from dogs and children, no training required.

3 duck egg sandwiches in the making.

post-151798-0-30250300-1416128424_thumb.

• Like 1

if you wanted a nice drake mate i could let you have one,

the only thing is them karkis dont go broody, so we have an inmcubator also we have moskovies to sit the karki eggs, we wait till a moskovie goes broody, take her eggs away and put in karkies, but there is a lady on the market wants to buy moskovies of us to cook and sell, my wife sold her 10 last week, so ive only got about 20 moskovies left,

we have about 40 karkis, we only have 6 peking at the moment, ive contacted a man for another 50 karkis and 50 peking,

• Like 2

My two were just quacking outside the window until I fed them.

No need to remember feeding time, they hunt me down and remind me!

(chickens didn't do this)

It's true about the poohing, they love to do it all over the concrete driveway, maybe the grass tickles their bums.

• Like 1

moskovie ducks can fly very good, they will fly off, but if there is feed fro them all the time the,ll stay round, you can clip them,

we feed our ducks proper laying pellets same for chickens, they do have full run of the farm at the moment and the new run and house im building will be big and can have 2 seperate paddocks so they can go on one for a while then move onto the other one, this way stops disease build up such at coxcidioses that builds up in the soil and can kill chickens ducks ect,

so our will be on one paddock for a while then moved onto the other one, just have 2 gates thats all,

we have fruit trees planted into the one that isnt being used at the moment, ill take some photos tomorow,

then ill plant some in the other one,

just makes good use of the land also gives the birds shade, they can eat fallan fruit,

• Like 1

Crossy, thank you.

Many thanks.

Chook house is about 1.5m x 1.5m a couple of 2" x 1" wood perches for the beasts to roost on, about 10 chooks of assorted sizes and a couple of guineas use it.

Nest boxes from those plastic storage boxes, piece of cake to make, easy to clean and sterilise if necessary, lift the lid to access the eggs.

Like these (image from the web, not ours):-

post-14979-0-14831400-1416134347_thumb.j

I quite like that design, one plastic box = 2 nest boxes (ply partition, cut out at both ends).

• Like 1

Crossy, thank you.

Many thanks.

Chook house is about 1.5m x 1.5m a couple of 2" x 1" wood perches for the beasts to roost on, about 10 chooks of assorted sizes and a couple of guineas use it.

Nest boxes from those plastic storage boxes, piece of cake to make, easy to clean and sterilise if necessary, lift the lid to access the eggs.

Like these (image from the web, not ours):-

attachicon.gifrollawaynestbox.jpg

I quite like that design, one plastic box = 2 nest boxes (ply partition, cut out at both ends).

crossy,

just go to the feed shops and other shops sell them, they are blue, grey water containers, they sell for 40bht, i think they hold 25ltrs, cheeper then them plastic boxes and do the same job, you just cut half the front off and hay presto a next box, ill take some pics of mine tomorow for you and costas,

I know nothing of geese.

PS

Thank you, AOA, another informative answer.

Can I ask you how big is the hut you got for them?

Am I going to spend too much to build this enclosure I'm thinking about or should I only build a small hut and let them free running around in the land?

The land has got a garden wall around about 2mts high, the only way out would be the front gate but I can put some mesh wire on it.

Can they fly over the 2 meters?

Many thanks

PS. Can you please also tell me, have you put anything in the hut to sleep and lay the eggs?

I'm speaking about the chickens.

The hut should be big enough for you to be able to stand up in when you go in to collect the eggs.

Chickens can't really fly and I don't see chickens or ducks flying over the 2 m fence around your garden.

A hut/enclosure is probably a good idea to keep them locked up in at night. During the day, just let them out to eat worms, insects, etc.

If you feed them at about the same time every evening, they usually get use to this and will turn up at the enclosure waiting to be fed (at least that was the case when we kept chickens and ducks). Also, you make the same noise at feeding time, they will hear this and come running back to the hut for food (e.g. tapping a spoon on a metal pot).

I know chickens and ducks can be kept together... can't remember if my grandfather kept his geese in the same enclosure as the chickens and ducks or not.

Overall, chickens and ducks are easy to keep. They lay, on average, an egg a day/chicken/duck.

They eat just about everything, so left over rice, bread, veggies, etc. can be fed to them. No need for a trough, just chuck the food/feed on the floor of their enclosure and that'll do them just fine.

You don't need a fancy enclosure for them, just something sturdy. They really aren't all that fussy.

It's best if you have some kind of hay/straw filled boxes for the chickens and ducks to lay their eggs in. A hay/straw filled box per chicken/duck works best.

A few rows of sticks/bamboos for them to perch on would also be a good idea.

In addition to this, you can use their bodily waste as fertilizer on plants, veggies, etc.

• Like 1

Houston we have a duck problem,

gf says NO to another female duck.

Can only buy in male/female pairs or very bad luck!

I says, "what about chickens?"

She says chickens different ....... DOH!

PS

Good bird photos there PJ!

No disrespect to your wife/gf, but I think you can ignore that advice....

Geese become very territoral and use their wings to flog and the beak to nip the object of their anger. There have been instances of a toddle being injured when set upon by a gaggle/flock of geese. I have seen a few (5) geese run a coyote off. It was amazing to watch, National geographic would have probably bought a video if it would have been recorded.

Edited by slapout
  • Like 1

As a grown man I can say that the animals (and I have seen cobras and kraits at close quarters) have been geese and swans. I guess they're ok if they know you.

Anyway if we want duck eggs / ducklings we let them roam around outside of their pen. Works every time. They are together with chickens (Gai Baan) and these will occasionally kill ducklings, steal eggs. On the other side, young chicks occasionally manage to drown themselves in the small duck pond.

One of our dogs, now unfortunately on a chain, is a mad, bloody hen killer.

I can say that our chicken/duck house, which I had thought adequate, needs a concrete floor and separation between chickens and ducks. Our fighting cock seems to eat chicken wire for breakfast, we had to use the heavy duty fencing mesh for enclosure.

Sigh.

We also have a problem with feral cats and, we think, snakes. Not to be undertaken half heartedly,

post-130198-0-37175700-1416211258_thumb.

• Like 1

I know nothing of geese.

PS

I love eggs, chicken eggs for frying, and duck eggs for boiling, there is a big difference in the taste.