Visa Card Wont Work

my home bank's visa debit card is working fine in the ATM , but it doesnt work in the POS here , what might be the reason , it says its accepted worldwide , any idea guys?

I had a similar experience a few years ago when I first came here, I used the Visa card very infrequently and then I paid for a UBC subscription and the next time I tried to use the card it was refused with a message on the machine saying "contact issuer". I phoned them and they said that I had made an "unusual payment" (the UBC sub) and as such they had "suspended use of the card" until I contacted them and convinced them the payment had been made by me and was legitimate. The phone call completed the card was returned to service and I never had another problem with it.

Have you made any "unusual payments" if so I would contact the issuer and confirm that you have made the payments and your card has not fallen into the wrong hands.

Hope this is of assistance

i have used it frequently to withdraw money on various ATM's but it didnt work when i tried to pay for goods i brought at Big C Saphan Kwai and then again at MBK it was rejected , i wonder why , it was working fine before i left for bangkok,

i have used it frequently to withdraw money on various ATM's but it didnt work when i tried to pay for goods i brought at Big C Saphan Kwai and then again at MBK it was rejected , i wonder why , it was working fine before i left for bangkok,

I would suggest a quick call to your card issuer and see if they are blocking it and for why. Some companies will not except purchases from Thailand until you notify them you are here. I had the same problem as PREM-R recently where my card no longer was excepted. A purchase that didn't match my security profile was tagged. A call to them and 2 minutes later it was OK again.

I agree with the comments above. Your card issuer has probably blocked your card as it didn't match your profile. It's happened to me a few times. A quick call to them and they unblock it.

They usually ask a couple of questions to establish your identity then confirm the transactions you have made in the past few days.

my home bank's visa debit card is working fine in the ATM , but it doesnt work in the POS here , what might be the reason , it says its accepted worldwide , any idea guys?

Man I went thourgh the same issue with three cards on my last trip, what a hel_l, as I called and sent an email to one telling them the various countries I would be in, but that didn't stop them from protecting me and shutting down my card and shutting down a pleasant holiday. Call them and they will note it, however it may happen again.

Hey

Before I leave for a foreign trip, I always contact the Security Dept. at three of my card issuers and have never had a problem. Before this, I used to just contact the issuer and speak with the Call Centre staff, but it kept going 'pear shaped' at the most inconvenient and embarassing moments.

When I complained, I was told to ask to be put through to the Security Dept. in future and ever since, I have never had any problems whatsoever.

Kind regards

Peter

I have had this experience also, and when I contacted my issuing bank (a US entity) I was told that due to the extent of card fraud in Thailand, the bank shuts down its Thailand POS access every 3-4 months for 1-2 days to conduct some kind of purge or file-cleaning exercise.

I was told to try again after the suggested 1-2 days, and this has always worked for me.

Thailand has one of the worst records for 'plastic' fraud, card 'skimming'; and lots of other elaborate scams. So it is no surprise that credit/debit cards are blocked often in Thailand. Mine was blocked a few weeks ago, just because I made 3 consecutive daily 30K Baht withdrawals. A quick phone call sorted it out.

Extra Tips in Thailand.

1. Buy a Shredder, (and use it...see 2.)

2. Dispose of ALL transaction slips carefully.

3. Beware of phone calls from a 'bank'.

3.1 (Do not assume all bank staff are honest).

4. Beware of internet banking in internet cafes.

5. Scan bank passbooks and record seperately all transactions made, timed and dated.

6. When using ATM's in Thailand, beware of rubber-neckers trying to see your PIN, especially if they are farang as well: There was a scam recently involving a loud mouthed farang who burst forward to the ATM just as you are about to enter your PIN saying 'the ATM doesn't work', thus catching you off your guard.

7. Use ATM's in malls rather than at 4.00 am on the streets.

This list is endless.......