Painting exterior walls

A couple of simple questions from someone who's clueless about such things:

(1) Is painting necessary to protect the cement render that's so often used on houses here? Or is it purely cosmetic? (I'm getting some building work done next year, so would like to put off repainting until that's complete.)

(2) Is there such a thing as antifungal paint available here? Like so many houses in tropical climes I've got unsightly black mould growing in places (and this is only 18 months since the house was last repainted).

1) You might consider a sealer, commonly available at any builders merchants or any paint depot in Thailand. A sealer is often listed for "new" concrete rendering. Dulux, Beger, TOA, Delta, Pammastic, Jotun and Nippon are just a few of the brands of quality paint that sell a proper wall sealer.

2) In English on most quality paint brand brochures sold in Thailand is the listing Anti Fungus | Anti Algae and other important properties in considering a paint for when you build a house in Thailand. I asked the Nippon House Paint technical advisor questions in English in Buriram at Ruangsangthai builders merchants in October when I bought Nippon House Paint. I am not sure how meaningful a discussion of "Cover hairline cracks, UV Resistant, Washable, Water Proof, Efflorence Resistant or Alkaline Resistant" would have been with the spokes person wearing red.

post-20604-0-64360700-1416896521_thumb.j

1) You might consider a sealer, commonly available at any builders merchants or any paint depot in Thailand. A sealer is often listed for "new" concrete rendering. Dulux, Beger, TOA, Delta, Pammastic, Jotun and Nippon are just a few of the brands of quality paint that sell a proper wall sealer.

2) In English on most quality paint brand brochures sold in Thailand is the listing Anti Fungus | Anti Algae and other important properties in considering a paint for when you build a house in Thailand. I asked the Nippon House Paint technical advisor questions in English in Buriram at Ruangsangthai builders merchants in October when I bought Nippon House Paint. I am not sure how meaningful a discussion of "Cover hairline cracks, UV Resistant, Washable, Water Proof, Efflorence Resistant or Alkaline Resistant" would have been with the spokes person wearing red.

Something like this?

I saw about fifty empty cans outside a rather stylish new building so I took a pic.

I think it's to put a shine coat on render......they call it "cut mun" I think.

post-120824-0-67972200-1417109883_thumb.

Bob ... are you saying the Sales Rep in Red isn't qualified to provide technical replies ... w00t.gif

post-20604-0-64360700-1416896521.jpg

David48: My Thai wife assured me the woman in red would want to discuss the interior and exterior house paint properties of "Dirt Pick Up Resistant" or "Strong Scrub Resistant" and she would suggest I "cover hairline cracks". My wife was indicating the woman in red would really rather not chat up a Buriram expat more than twice her age.

My wife suggested if I wanted to practice Thai I chat up the Delta House Paint spokesperson also wearing red who knew nothing about Delta plumbing bathroom or kitchen fixtures in Buriram.

post-20604-0-68740700-1417222818_thumb.j

• Like 1

David48: My Thai wife assured me the woman in red would want to discuss the interior and exterior house paint properties of "Dirt Pick Up Resistant" or "Strong Scrub Resistant" and she would suggest I "cover hairline cracks". My wife was indicating the woman in red would really rather not chat up a Buriram expat more than twice her age.

My wife suggested if I wanted to practice Thai I chat up the Delta House Paint spokesperson also wearing red who knew nothing about Delta plumbing bathroom or kitchen fixtures in Buriram.

In the interest of good taste, I've declined to show that photo in all it's Glory ... laugh.png