Thai elections may be delayed until 2016: report

webfact

Didn't like the guy from day one and that has increased with each week. Clearly incompetent and should not be where he is right now, power hungry and full of himself, but what are the alternatives... This country is pretty much screwed politically speaking

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the point of elections in Thailand? The elected government is always kicked out. Just have a dictator for life (or until a stronger thug takes over) in control. Everything can be made illegal and all income must be forfeited to the dear leader. When the peasants are hungry they'll be obedient and loyal. The North Korea model has never had a problem with social unrest.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

This what I love about TV. A bunch of disgruntled old men spending their remaining days commenting ad nauseum on nearly every single post. In a country where they can't own property, land or the majority of a business. Where they have absolutely zero influence in any market. economy or government decisions. In a country where they will (except for maybe 2%, if I am being generous) actually achieve residency, little lone citizenship and there by default have no right to vote or make any real change in politics, policy or government in this country and yet every day want to harp on incessantly about red or yellow or Thaksin or Junta and who was better or worse like anything any of these half baked experts could do would change the situation. Better yet, these all knowing pundits carry on like they have some pull or influence or some entitled belief that they know better than anyone else..... please forget the politics. Your input means nothing and never will just go back to talking about who has the cheapest groceries Big C or Makro

This what I love about TV. A bunch of disgruntled old men spending their remaining days commenting ad nauseum on nearly every single post. In a country where they can't own property, land or the majority of a business. Where they have absolutely zero influence in any market. economy or government decisions. In a country where they will (except for maybe 2%, if I am being generous) actually achieve residency, little lone citizenship and there by default have no right to vote or make any real change in politics, policy or government in this country and yet every day want to harp on incessantly about red or yellow or Thaksin or Junta and who was better or worse like anything any of these half baked experts could do would change the situation. Better yet, these all knowing pundits carry on like they have some pull or influence or some entitled belief that they know better than anyone else..... please forget the politics. Your input means nothing and never will just go back to talking about who has the cheapest groceries Big C or Makro

Having a bad day are you.

Posting is optional, not compulsory, - yet!

• Like 1

Could be and probably wil be, Prayuth's original timescale was far too ambitious in the first place, he could not have known how long things take in the political arena.

Things seem alright in the country at the moment and I think the people will give him the time for a better tomorrow but I expect the Democratic do gooders and opponents of Prayuth will now have a short field day until the next time they can come out and complain.

Thailand is never going to a Western Style democracy, so let us all be patient and see what he comes up with in the next year or two.

When Yingluck got elected I heard a lot of protests but my view was that she had been elected she must be given the chance to see what she can do. As it turned out she did not do that well and I can imagine people saying yes but she was elected Prayuth was not, very true, but, we are where we are and if 2 years of the Junta can give the country a fresh start then in the annals of time that is a short period, I hope it will be worth it, time will tell, lets hope for the best, for us and Thailand, I dont think anyone wants to see protests like we have in the last 4 or 5 years again.

Govt's must be allowed to run their course, you complain and you can prepare for the next election along the way, just get used to it.

I think the military will be in power until an inevitable momentous event occurs. There are power plays far above the yellow shirt, red shirt squabble.

The return to democracy of a western form will be a long time coming, if indeed it ever comes. Whether it would be a good thing, I honestly couldn't say. It seems like a choice of the least worst options to me.

Meantime, I do what the Thais do, just get on with my life within the boundaries of what's permissible at the present time. Fortunately that means I am totally unaffected, but I do know of people who's lives have been decimated. Hope I don't join them at some point in the future.

• Like 1

Yes but seriously - what new choices of gov could possibly be better?
Another red Vs Yellow (Reap what we can while we are in power, pretend we are politicians and not business men - war?
Thais are just not ready for democracy, because they dont know how to lose an election without face making them nasty vindictive and greedy players.
Politics for the people just is not the thai way!

• Like 2

The big problem with democracy is that it gives too much power to poor people, so the wrong people get elected. Only the rich and powerful elite are actually qualified to run things, and so, if by error they do not get elected, they need to halt democracy, and then decide with their superior wisdom if and when there is going to be another election.

The fact that these misguided poor people don't want the elite to run things must be solved by educating them until they DO want the elite to be in charge, and so they MUST hold off elections until that happens.

The only other way of ensuring the right result is to somehow limit the votes. Clearly it's totally wrong that a poor farmer's vote has as much weight in the elections as that of a very rich CEO, say , who has high intelligence and knows a lot of judges and politicians. That gives the poor farmer an unfairly equal say, even though he is not rich or powerful, and doesn't know the right people.

A good way to get round this glaring imbalance would be to restore the full weight of the rich CEO's vote by making each farmer's vote worth, say, one quarter of the vote of a rich person. Then society would get back to the way we all know it should be: with the people who always run things guaranteed to go on running things in perpetuity, with no unhelpful confusion.

This would be very good for Thailand, as rich people always help poor people, even at the cost of their own financial disadvantage, and so giving rich people a vote worth four times more than poor people would HELP poor people. It's so obvious!

In any case I now believe the Army are waiting for an event that will itself precipitate so much political and social chaos that they will be forced to keep control for at least five years (or more) to ensure public order...

This is the most senseless idea I have ever read here. You want to say that the Poor has less rights than the Rich?????

I am coming from a really poor background so that I wouldn't be able to vote in your "ideal society".

Do you think that all the rich people vote for the one the country needs the most???

I wonder if you stood in front of a crowd of village people and shared your thoughts what would happen?

Depends if the village people are into political satire I suppose.

They are uneducated, so I suppose some might think it was what Partington really believed. But the educated ones would know differently, eh?

The big problem with democracy is that it gives too much power to poor people, so the wrong people get elected. Only the rich and powerful elite are actually qualified to run things, and so, if by error they do not get elected, they need to halt democracy, and then decide with their superior wisdom if and when there is going to be another election.

The fact that these misguided poor people don't want the elite to run things must be solved by educating them until they DO want the elite to be in charge, and so they MUST hold off elections until that happens.

The only other way of ensuring the right result is to somehow limit the votes. Clearly it's totally wrong that a poor farmer's vote has as much weight in the elections as that of a very rich CEO, say , who has high intelligence and knows a lot of judges and politicians. That gives the poor farmer an unfairly equal say, even though he is not rich or powerful, and doesn't know the right people.

A good way to get round this glaring imbalance would be to restore the full weight of the rich CEO's vote by making each farmer's vote worth, say, one quarter of the vote of a rich person. Then society would get back to the way we all know it should be: with the people who always run things guaranteed to go on running things in perpetuity, with no unhelpful confusion.

This would be very good for Thailand, as rich people always help poor people, even at the cost of their own financial disadvantage, and so giving rich people a vote worth four times more than poor people would HELP poor people. It's so obvious!

In any case I now believe the Army are waiting for an event that will itself precipitate so much political and social chaos that they will be forced to keep control for at least five years (or more) to ensure public order...

This is the most senseless idea I have ever read here. You want to say that the Poor has less rights than the Rich?????

I am coming from a really poor background so that I wouldn't be able to vote in your "ideal society".

Do you think that all the rich people vote for the one the country needs the most???

I wonder if you stood in front of a crowd of village people and shared your thoughts what would happen?

Partington is a troll surely? That is without a doubt the most ignorant post I have seen on this place. And this is really saying something!

Is everyone too thick to recognise satire for god's sake????

Let me be clearer then. The root of unfairness in society is that an elite, of whom there are very few, have all the power and all the wealth, most of which comes from exploiting powerless poor people. The rich like it like this.

When you bring in democracy, you bring fear to these people. Suddenly their power and wealth becomes a smaller weapon, because they are now forced to take account the opinions of those they exploited, who now have a more equal say in government because they all have a single vote which is just as important as the vote of a rich person.

This is how the poor and weak can take the power back. It is a good thing. It is how the Kings and Barons were brought low in Europe, and how some of the fairest societies in the world have been created.

Never fails to amaze me how satire often goes unrecognised on TV smile.png

Somehow I can't see this government ever voluntarily re-instituting democracy. It's conceivable that somewhere down the road they devise some mechanism to pass day on to day running to faces in civilian suits. But any concession of real power is not, I fear, on the agenda.

Wait for the groundswell to take hold. It has started already. The PM is sitting on a powder keg and has already lit the fuse, but does not seem to realize it.

Oh woe is me! The end is coming! Run for the hills!!

Please. Throttle back the crazy talk. We've been hearing this stir-the-pot, civil war/doomsday crank stuff since the first yellow demonstrations in Bangkok. Yeah, and the pro-shin "groundswell" rubbish as well. No signs of that kind of widespread public sentiment at ALL. Get a grip. 'Not saying the current PM could win an election if one were held today, but that's a far thing from imminent civil war...

Not that I recall. Do you really need to have the differences between the 2006 and 2014 coups explained to you?

Yep. Please explain the differences.

Martial law with no end in sight, much more censorship and restrictions on free speech and assembly, detentions without charge or any rights, no sense of urgency in writing the new constitution or scheduling elections, etc. Check Wikipedia if you need details.

Didn't you accuse me of not reading much on another thread?

Ok, that's 2006. How is 2014 different?

You don't read much, do you?

Yes but seriously - what new choices of gov could possibly be better?

Another red Vs Yellow (Reap what we can while we are in power, pretend we are politicians and not business men - war?

Thais are just not ready for democracy, because they dont know how to lose an election without face making them nasty vindictive and greedy players.

Politics for the people just is not the thai way!

"Thais are just not ready for democracy, because they dont know how to lose an election without face making them nasty vindictive and greedy players."

Clearly the Democrats don't know how to lose an election, in spite of all their practice. We won't know how Thaksin affiliated parties are at losing an election until they lose one.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

Let's just go ahead and delay the elections until 2020...do away with the suspense...give the benevolent non-elected self proclaimed non-dictator a free reign to do as he pleases until the year 2020 or he is forcibly removed from office...which ever comes sooner...

Edited by ggt

Nice piss take.

The fairest way of making sure that Democracy is given a better chance of working is to improve the education of the poor. Only then can they fully assess, approve or reject political propaganda and unrealistic election promises. The glaring imbalance at the moment is that the South has the money and the education, and the North has the poor and the less educated. It's very easy to see why a 'red knight' with education could usurp democracy by appealing to the less educated North.

Partington is a troll surely? That is without a doubt the most ignorant post I have seen on this place. And this is really saying something!

Is everyone too thick to recognise satire for god's sake????

Let me be clearer then. The root of unfairness in society is that an elite, of whom there are very few, have all the power and all the wealth, most of which comes from exploiting powerless poor people. The rich like it like this.

When you bring in democracy, you bring fear to these people. Suddenly their power and wealth becomes a smaller weapon, because they are now forced to take account the opinions of those they exploited, who now have a more equal say in government because they all have a single vote which is just as important as the vote of a rich person.

This is how the poor and weak can take the power back. It is a good thing. It is how the Kings and Barons were brought low in Europe, and how some of the fairest societies in the world have been created.

Haha thank god for that! There are a few genuine idiots on this board so sometimes it's hard to tell :lol:

I wholeheartedly agree with your (serious) sentiments.

Hypocritism about Democracy and elections is thriving on this forum.

Remember what was happening before this administration and try to keep your mouths shut.

The attitude that prevails amongst Costas and his type is genuinely baffling to me. To say that the previous government being hopeless somehow justifies the wrongs of today is just perverse.

The analogy I always make is of a husband being cheated on by his current wife and rebutting any criticism of his failure to act by saying "my last wife was worse."

• Like 2

Hypocritism about Democracy and elections is thriving on this forum.

Remember what was happening before this administration and try to keep your mouths shut.

The attitude that prevails amongst Costas and his type is genuinely baffling to me. To say that the previous government being hopeless somehow justifies the wrongs of today is just perverse.

The analogy I always make is of a husband being cheated on by his current wife and rebutting any criticism of his failure to act by saying "my last wife was worse."

Well, except that in THIS case, you HAVE to be married to SOMEBODY, and the former wife actually WAS a lot worse...

Well, except that in THIS case, you HAVE to be married to SOMEBODY, and the former wife actually WAS a lot worse...

Just because the situation came about through coercion doesn`t mean you have to support it. facepalm.gif

Whilst the previous government was corrupt and dreadful, the current is worse. Not only are they also equally corrupt, but they have limited personal freedoms and are guiding the economy into a free fall.

Whats wrong with wanting something better than Thaksins or the elites proxys squabbling over the countries riches, whilst 90% live in poverty?

• Like 1

Not surprised at all. My guess it will be 2017/2018

--------------------------

Good.

maybe by then the Thai voters will realize that elections are not a popularity test, where they vote for their "favorites" as though they were movie stars.

But instead the elections should be a vote where they are hiring "servants" who they hire to take care of their nation-house as carefully as they hire workers...... who, if they do not do the job they are hired for, should be fired for not doing the job they were hired for.

Politicians are not "movie stars" who you vote for because you "like" them, they are hired servants.

But, I doubt that idea will ever get through to the Thai electorate.

Until it does, maybe after 10 years or so, Thailand does not really need "popularity contest elections".

So what you're saying is that the electorate should vote for who YOU think they should vote for ie the Democrats (gross misuse of that word). As for politicians being "fired for not doing the job they were hired for", in a democracy they can be "fired", by being voted out at an election.

• Like 1

The fairest way of making sure that Democracy is given a better chance of working is to improve the education of the poor. Only then can they fully assess, approve or reject political propaganda and unrealistic election promises. The glaring imbalance at the moment is that the South has the money and the education, and the North has the poor and the less educated. It's very easy to see why a 'red knight' with education could usurp democracy by appealing to the less educated North.
I think the north is better "educated" than you give them credit for.

They support mister T because he has done more for them than previous governments. They rather hear big promises and get a little than hear small promises and get nothing.

If I wash only one side of my car, is it now clean? This crack down on corruption has a distinctly partisan flavor to it. We would call this clean up a "purge".

Power corrupts, and absolute power absolutely corrupts. Did we somehow ignore that wisdom and thing "This time will be different"? Along similar lines to "But my bar girl is different".

If it took a month for every principle of democracy the PTP broke the Junta would take 14 months to reform the country. If elections are to be delayed until 2016 it just shows that they have their work cut out for them.

If only the PTP were democratic and listened to the majority even when it did not suit their agenda they would have won the last election (that majority may well have suited them in that election even though all in ices said it didn't) and this would not even be news.

Lets hope the PTP respect the election results if it does not go their way next time because if it doesn't that is what the Junta are worried about I suspect and rightfully so as the PTP never ever respect a majority unless it suits them.

That is why reform is needed.

Edited by djjamie