Taking my wife to the UK

Hi.

I am planning to take my wife to UK in Feb next year (my dear mum's 90th) and could do with a step by step process for getting her visa.

Have read up here but have a few questions.

Her bank acc. is in good shape but she has no job but we do have a few biz things going but all cash ie farming etc

Will copies of her bank savings book suffice or do we have to get proper statements?

Have organised letters from relatives inviting us to stay for free is that enough?

Do we just rock up to the embassy and ask for a visa or should we write first?

Do we do a joint interview or is it all impersonal and just present documentation and hope for the best?

Sorry for my ignorance but although been here and married for a long time have no experience of dealling with the UK embassy.

Any advice much appreciated.

Steve

Run through:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/446602-uk-visit-visa-basics/

It is pretty comprehensive!

Reason for visit is covered. Affordability needs to be covered by her bank statements (plus explanation of where the money comes from if she is not working), your bank statements if you are paying for the trip. Evidence of suitable accommodation (invitation letter and some details of what the accommodation consists of + permission from landlord if appropriate). Reasons to return - assuming you have a settled life in Thailand this should be documented (What work you do, House book etc).

Put some effort into the application and there really should be little problem getting a visa.

I would agree 'wrong' time of the year. Just make sure whoever meets you at the airport brings warm clothing including hat and gloves. Worth a photo of the reaction to seeing her own breath for the first time assuming she has not been here before!!

One of the main points is a "reason to return to Thailand", if she has no job, no children, no ties etc or no "reason" to return to Thailand that may cause an issue.

The application is made online, you print and submit it with supporting documents to the Visa application centre.

You cannot accompany her into the area where she will be asked verification questions and submit biometrics, when submitting the visa application.

Others will add more info I am sure.

Sponsoring a visa applicant does not necessarily mean paying for the trip; it means supporting the application, similar to sponsoring someone for membership of a club.

So saying that the sponsor's finances are more important than the applicant's is not strictly correct.

Whoever is contributing toward the cost of the trip, you, your wife, a third party, should provide evidence of their ability to do so. Up to date bank books are fine, as are bank statements; but they must be originals or copies which are certified correct by the bank concerned.

As you appear settled in Thailand You can help her reason to return even if she has no other concrete one such as a job or property.

You should provide a copy of your passport to show your immigration status. Self certify the copy of each page; "I (name) certify this is a true copy of page (number) of British passport (number) signed, dated."

Read through the link provided by Bob above and the information on how to apply from the VFS website linked to by daveAustin.

As said, she applies online and then makes an appointment to submit her paperwork and have her biometrics taken.

When ready to apply, start here.

Couple of questions with filling out the application form if anyone can help.

On the page re my wifes income I put self employed (we farm about 100 rai of cassava) but the boxes asking for her emplyers names and addresses etc are still there. I just wrote not applicable in them all so hope ok.

I am really stumped with her family questions though. They want her deceased fathers date of birth and other stuff which we just don't have and these are required sections!!

Anyone been through this could maybe advise me.

The ECOs are well aware that Thai record keeping on matters such as dates of birth are not as accurate for older people as now.

Put an approximate date and explain this in the additional comments box or your supporting letter.

The ECOs are well aware that Thai record keeping on matters such as dates of birth are not as accurate for older people as now.

Put an approximate date and explain this in the additional comments box or your supporting letter.

Thanks for the advice. It's what I figured but nice to have confirmation. It is a fault in their programme as the advice notes tell you to just write "unknown" if needs be but entering anything but a date from their drop down calender is not possible.

I seem to remember some time back that it was acceptable/recommended to enter 01/01/1900 where no information on date of birth was available. Further information/explanation in the supporting letter. We did this for my wifes father. No idea as to his date of birth let alone paperwork!