Alternative Retirement Destination?

moonseeker

Naam makes a valid point which reminds us that we are all different, but it's useful to share experiences to make eliminations easier. I'd go back to Spain if I was minded to move. I speak Spanish, I have friends there, it's more expensive than Thailand but cheaper than UK for renting or buying and the climate is good - maybe better than Thailand in that it has a real winter. wink.png

I'd also be tempted to go back to Peru - same reasons, but flights are damned expensive. The point is that as an older someone gets the less capable he is to go somewhere newand start all over again, so I'm in the "going back to somewhere I know" category wink.png

The problem with ''Spain'' is lots of ''British Chavs'' live there, and also go there on Vacation.... (mostly seaside resorts), but tiring to say the least... best avoided...

Why did you answer for native son? Are you the same guy?

Please next time add to your posts who is allowed to reply to it, maybe I answered as a favor to you, because it seems that the majority of posters isn't interested to answer to any of your posts.

Why? That is what the quote function is for. The question I was trying to have answered is this, "Duh? R u looking to learn some more "farang" lessons, in SEA, or what? Hmm? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1YLr" If you know what it means by all means give it a shot.

That's strange because the post I quoted to read.

I have no idea what you are talking about. What do you expect will happen to land and housing prices as a result of the AEC?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780486-alternative-retirement-destination/?p=8771490

Native son wrote, "Duh? R u looking to learn some more "farang" lessons, in SEA, or what? Hmm? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1SW1"

I wrote, "I have no idea what you are talking about. What do you expect will happen to land and housing prices as a result of the AEC?"

So if you want to take a shot at understanding native sons post "Duh? R u looking to learn some more "farang" lessons, in SEA, or what? Hmm? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1SW1" go right ahead.

I think he was talking about land and housing values but I'm not sure. Anyone who is buying land and houses in Thailand to make a profit as a result of the AEC I think has a screw loose but maybe you think that. I don't know.

Farang can't buy it anyway so I don't really see the point as to why it makes Thailand a more or less attractive retirement destination.

Edited by thailiketoo

Naam makes a valid point which reminds us that we are all different, but it's useful to share experiences to make eliminations easier. I'd go back to Spain if I was minded to move. I speak Spanish, I have friends there, it's more expensive than Thailand but cheaper than UK for renting or buying and the climate is good - maybe better than Thailand in that it has a real winter. wink.png

I'd also be tempted to go back to Peru - same reasons, but flights are damned expensive. The point is that as an older someone gets the less capable he is to go somewhere newand start all over again, so I'm in the "going back to somewhere I know" category wink.png

The problem with ''Spain'' is lots of ''British Chavs'' live there, and also go there on Vacation.... (mostly seaside resorts), but tiring to say the least... best avoided...

I have from a friend who's parents recently moved to Spain that many of those "Chavs" are moving back.

He said something about a tax loophole closing for UK citizens.

I have from a friend who's parents recently moved to Spain that many of those "Chavs" are moving back.

He said something about a tax loophole closing for UK citizens.

So, its ''Essex'' here we come.....

You're absolutely right - but it's the same as Pattaya or Phuket -- it's not hard to avoid them -- their "sphere-of-influence" doesn't reach out more than 500 metres from a girlie-bar ;)

Spain has lots of nice quiet places not too far from beaches. Has to be said that the beaches on the South of Spain are lovely, but the sea is surprisingly cold ;)

You're absolutely right - but it's the same as Pattaya or Phuket -- it's not hard to avoid them -- their "sphere-of-influence" doesn't reach out more than 500 metres from a girlie-bar wink.png

Spain has lots of nice quiet places not too far from beaches. Has to be said that the beaches on the South of Spain are lovely, but the sea is surprisingly cold wink.png

''Pattaya and Phuket'' , what i have noticed is its ''Aussie Chavs'', and fortunately they all tend to stay in the same areas..

Yes, Southern Spain Beaches are nice, but like you said water a bit on the cold side......

I’m also of the mind to head home for a reboot and then perhaps look at a Euro country. I love Spain, but it’s just too expensive and touristy, where Portugal has retained a quieter air and is quite easy to disappear/blend in. Great, year round weather in south, safety net of being EU – infrastructure, English, easy flights etc – and not forgetting port! Central/South America just does not appeal – there seems too much baggage and the issue with crime – while Caribbean is great for holiday, but again, to live? One of the quieter Bahamian islands could be perfect for boat-lovers, but very expensive.
The goal is not to bash Thailand here, but it’s easy to become disillusioned after years of jumping through hoops and realising deep down (some of us can’t see it) that you will never be truly accepted. Tolerable when things were more laidback and a lot cheaper, but, and I've always said this, it is basically just a good holiday destination. When living here with commitments and having to put up with the bureaucracy and bs, it gets very old. Daily eventualities, like noise, horrendous driving, the importance of face and indifferent service, etc etc, can grind you down.
Sure, there’s good hospitals and you can make yourself a nice home and find decent enough groceries in the big centres (done all that), but it's mediocre in other areas. Everywhere looks the same when driving from A to B, for instance – ugly, shop-house-fronted towns with wide, very busy roads going right through them, where the only standout features are the 7-11s and obligatory temple. There's little character/aesthetics, the countryside is mostly boring from the road until you get off the beaten track, and although island beaches and national parks are indeed spectacular, you typically have all of the above to contend with.
So if I head back, I will be revisiting Portugal for sure. Let’s just keep it quiet as the last time someone wrote about Chiang Mai as being one of the top places in the word to retire, it drew in thousands of people and clogged up the immigration office! smile.png

Yes it is this,but more. Homesickness takes a look in too,just been away too long,Portugal would be fine,just a couple of hours away and normal people living there

No more living in a place that looks as if it was built,pulled down and re-built in the last fortnight,having to get up to rocket speed in 1.8 seconds on the highway in case of being mown down,just everyday living entails nothing of permanance

Hell when in Portugal ill get myself a donkey that will take 1.8 mph all day to reach,now that is living

• Like 2

Can we get back to alternative retirement-destination / subject please. I assume most of us are not interested in bar-talk. Open your own thread, if you wanna gossip, please. THX. MS>

You're right. Sorry about that, MS. But I wasn't "gossiping", as you put it. I've just seen far too many avoidable tragedies, among the farangs. However, this is your OP thread, and I respect that. Cheers rolleyes.gif

Im also of the mind to head home for a reboot and then perhaps look at a Euro country. I love Spain, but its just too expensive and touristy, where Portugal has retained a quieter air and is quite easy to disappear/blend in. Great, year round weather in south, safety net of being EU infrastructure, English, easy flights etc and not forgetting port! Central/South America just does not appeal there seems too much baggage and the issue with crime while Caribbean is great for holiday, but again, to live? One of the quieter Bahamian islands could be perfect for boat-lovers, but very expensive.

The goal is not to bash Thailand here, but its easy to become disillusioned after years of jumping through hoops and realising deep down (some of us cant see it) that you will never be truly accepted. Tolerable when things were more laidback and a lot cheaper, but, and I've always said this, it is basically just a good holiday destination. When living here with commitments and having to put up with the bureaucracy and bs, it gets very old. Daily eventualities, like noise, horrendous driving, the importance of face and indifferent service, etc etc, can grind you down.

Sure, theres good hospitals and you can make yourself a nice home and find decent enough groceries in the big centres (done all that), but it's mediocre in other areas. Everywhere looks the same when driving from A to B, for instance ugly, shop-house-fronted towns with wide, very busy roads going right through them, where the only standout features are the 7-11s and obligatory temple. There's little character/aesthetics, the countryside is mostly boring from the road until you get off the beaten track, and although island beaches and national parks are indeed spectacular, you typically have all of the above to contend with.

So if I head back, I will be revisiting Portugal for sure. Lets just keep it quiet as the last time someone wrote about Chiang Mai as being one of the top places in the word to retire, it drew in thousands of people and clogged up the immigration office! smile.png

I always found the beaches dirty, and the sea full of floating rubbish.

Didn't matter where it was in Thailand, or how busy it was.

Dirty country, dirty sea.

Spain, Portugal, France, USA, Canada, immaculately clean.

Thailand dirty.

as far as moving to another location one has to differentiate between people who's belongings fit in a backpack plus a carrier bag for their laptop and those who moved with a 40 foot high cube container loaded to its full capacity of 60m³.

whistling.gif

I am curious, what is in that 40 foot high container, filled to capacity?

It is understood that you are the richest man here, so why drag household belongings and furniture with you to another continent? Sentimental value perhaps.. It may be difficult for some to part with a fridge, or a rug.

But I think most would furnish the new home with new stuff, even tho they leave Thailand with just one bag, and are considerably poorer than you.

Some of us, poor packbacker may own $20.000 set of Sonus Faber loudspeakers, so I imagine that we, the poor bums will ship them to our new home. But the sofas, rugs, fridges, chairs, lamps, vacuum cleaners, ovens will stay.

Those poor people that you mentioned, the backpackers as you call them, they are thinking of buying a house in Portugal. Very likely they will sell their property here, but poor as they are, they probably also own enough stuff to fill a sea container. They simply may choose not move sofas, chairs, and a piano.

Also, if you really need to move all whats inside your house here, there companies that do this for you.

Stuff is easy to replace, the difficult part of moving permanently is losing the people!

Stuff is easy to replace

i defer not only to your wisdom dear Sir but also admire your capability to easily replace antique furniture, works of art such as sculptures and paintings, oriental rugs and a zillion other things (collected during a period of several decades) at a flea market in one of Bangkok's suburbs.

after living nearly 10 years mainly in Thailand i regret bitterly having wasted money to ship our old fridges, freezers, washers, dryers, ovens, pool pumps, tools, chainsaws, TVs and various other 110 Volt electrical items which are now displaced on my front porch because they can't be used in the Land of Smiles.

and when i look around and see all those old and worn out sofa sets and easy chairs i realise how stupid i was not to move to a different country with a backpack and perhaps a harddrive or speakers.

• Like 1

Stuff is easy to replace

i defer not only to your wisdom dear Sir but also admire your capability to easily replace antique furniture, works of art such as sculptures and paintings, oriental rugs and a zillion other things (collected during a period of several decades) at a flea market in one of Bangkok's suburbs.

after living nearly 10 years mainly in Thailand i regret bitterly having wasted money to ship our old fridges, freezers, washers, dryers, ovens, pool pumps, tools, chainsaws, TVs and various other 110 Volt electrical items which are now displaced on my front porch because they can't be used in the Land of Smiles.

and when i look around and see all those old and worn out sofa sets and easy chairs i realise how stupid i was not to move to a different country with a backpack and perhaps a harddrive or speakers.

I do seem to remember a pic of the statues you brought here. Where did you bring them from? Impossible to find them here.

Stuff is easy to replace

I do seem to remember a pic of the statues you brought here. Where did you bring them from? Impossible to find them here.

auction Hong Kong august 1983. they were shipped three times and each time i paid a small fortune just for packing and insurance. packing volume each ~1.8m³.

Stuff is easy to replace

No..... The mistake you made was packing lots of valuable electrical stuff and moving to a country with the wrong voltage ! ;)

quite interesting is that stated simple and valid facts such as

as far as moving to another location one has to differentiate between people who's belongings fit in a backpack plus a carrier bag for their laptop and those who moved with a 40 foot high cube container loaded to its full capacity of 60m³.

they generate an irrelevant tirade of rich as well as poor people, real estate purchases in Portugal, the price of high end speakers and the possession of pianos not to mention valuable advice, e.g.

Also, if you really need to move all whats inside your house here, there companies that do this for you.

post-35218-0-54245300-1418180052.jpg

they generate an irrelevant tirade of rich as well as poor people, real estate purchases in Portugal, the price of high end speakers and the possession of pianos not to mention valuable advice, e.g.

attachicon.gifL-dog.jpg

One of the unstated facts Naam is where to off load all that stuff. you will no doubt have observed the auction house is overwhelmed with departing ex pats pianos,high end speakers,carrier bags (including laptops).

Build a mausoleum Naam ,pack it to high end with all that Hong Kong junk and await the cometh...now about the Portugal house purchase, after Christmas ,but before easter I will step forth in my search for a lowish end casa

• Like 1

That's a cool map --- opens up a lot of possibilities wink.png

for UK passport holders the British Antarctic Territories should be quite interesting crazy.gif

Was there in 1982 and 1988, very interesting actually but not a place I would like to live permanently, no 7/11s.

tongue.png

Anyway, back to the OP, Knynsa in South Africa is a spot I would seriously consider. Stunning lagoon/coastline, everything you need too and for SA, not too much crime.

Edited by South

attachicon.gifL-dog.jpg

One of the unstated facts Naam is where to off load all that stuff. you will no doubt have observed the auction house is overwhelmed with departing ex pats pianos,high end speakers,carrier bags (including laptops).

Build a mausoleum Naam ,pack it to high end with all that Hong Kong junk and await the cometh...now about the Portugal house purchase, after Christmas ,but before easter I will step forth in my search for a lowish end casa

Remember the advice to not buy anything when you're over 60 ? Easy to find long rents in Portugal and Spain. Besides -- you should rent in your area of choice for a year or so before you buy. Why are people in so much of a hurry to get rid of their money on some place they don't actually know very well? Bung your cash on term deposit around 5% to ward off inflation while you look around.

I'd seriously consider it if there was a level of public transport that allowed me to get around easily.

attachicon.gifL-dog.jpg

I've been to the auction houses here. All I mainly see is over priced junk.

Naam has a beautiful house. If you've been successful in life, why not enjoy it?

Some things for sure Ill miss,but the thoughts of small town/village life in Portugal,that obligatory small town square ,one side taken up by a church the peal of the bells,rest of the square taken up by small bars and cafes,quaffing frothy beer,something accompanying it a bit stronger,sliced dried ham,plate of olives too on the table fronting.The morning walk to collect the bread roll , it could bring tears to my eyes at times the thought of it

Just the thought that I could do it all,be there in 48 hours inspires me no end, just the damned baggage

Hi loppylugs

That paragragh rings true for me also.

I`m British, lived in Thailand for just over 5 years but considering other options, even if just part time.

I`ve been going to Italy since a youngster, was there earlier this year for about 5 weeks and will be there for a couple of months next year.

Yes,small town, walk in to a little town centre as you`ve described, pick up some fresh bread, then later go to a small friendly bar, ham, salami, olives accompanied either by a beer or wine.

Although not Portugal, similar view

Also yes, it has been a good interesting thread.

Hope all goes well for you, would be fascinated to hear how it goes when you make the move.

smile.png

no need to mention explicitly "lowish end casa". your comment on Hong Kong junk

where in auctions single Chinese antiquities regularly fetch millions of Dollars (US not Zimbabwe!) speaks volumes.

tongue.png

You're absolutely right - but it's the same as Pattaya or Phuket -- it's not hard to avoid them -- their "sphere-of-influence" doesn't reach out more than 500 metres from a girlie-bar wink.png

Spain has lots of nice quiet places not too far from beaches. Has to be said that the beaches on the South of Spain are lovely, but the sea is surprisingly cold wink.png

why you not m,ention Bangkok teerak??????

no need to mention explicitly "lowish end casa". your comment on Hong Kong junk

where in auctions single Chinese antiquities regularly fetch millions of Dollars (US not Zimbabwe!) speaks volumes.

tongue.png

I think it was only polite of TV user loppylugs1 to point out that he is on the market for lowish end casa in Portugal, it is only fair to admit that you are considerably richer, and he couldn't possibly play in the same league!

As for stuff, and difficulty moving it due to sheer amount of priceless (USD, not Zimbabwe $) items, there are ways to manage it. One phone call, and as if by miracle, several men appear in your house, and they start packing, until all the items are packed. The container is then filled to capacity. After a week or two, or three, container is at the nearest port of your new house, on another continent.

There is no need to carry everything yourself, so Naam's point that moving is very different for guy with lots of stuff is not valid.

Nobody who moves from here permanently, and buys a house in Portugal owns 1 bag and a laptop, being basically a bum, as Naam's post suggests. Question is, what to do with the stuff, what comes, and what stays, when the day comes to move.

Fragile antiquities - moving guys will use more bubble wrap I guess, extra wooden crates, stuff is moved all the time.

I haved really moved only once, from Canada to Eastern Europe. I shipped only hi end electronics, and my Suzuki GSX-R, didn't fill a sea container, moved in crates. Had I moved everything, would have needed a container.

I left my best friends in Toronto, I miss them terribly still. This is by far the hardest thing, when changing continents.

The positives about living in Thailand is the COST OF LIVING..

You can have a FANTASTIC LIFE STYLE, for the money that you need to spend..

I am fortunate, Real Estate in London, Other steady incomes each month.... makes me have a GREAT LIFESTYLE HERE..

Not all is perfect... but its near...

My Perspecitve..

Hey, loppylugs1!

You mentioned the auction houses, overwhelmed with departed expats earthly belongings.

I think departed = dead expats, correct?

The thing is, we can't take it with us. Egyptian pharaohs belived they bring threir belongings with them, to the next world, their burial chambers full of stuff, priceless antiquities (prices in USD, not Zimbabwe dollars)

But chances are, they never really made it to the next place. Their mummmies rotting away, priceless stuff robbed be grave robbers, their corpses now on display in museums, and on Discovery Channel.

So there is something to be said in investing in people, making friends.. Lifelong friends. It is very difficult, when moving, changeing home, moving to another continent.

What if we measure wealth in friendships that we are blessed to have? And maybe not value some box, made of unobtanium as much as a real, living friend? I know, it is probably a poor man with a bag and a laptop in me saying this,

But consider losing all your support from friends, after you left them all. If you don't have any, then this is a non issue. But everybody should have a real soulmate, and friends you can talk about evetything.

Friends like this are worth MUCH more than containers full of dead peoples stuff!

If you speak good Portuguese and Spanish, my best advice, by my personal and direct experience of many years in those countries, will be Mexico or Brazil. Mexico at this moment still less expensive than Brazil, specially in small provinces. In Mexico, the best option and beaches are situated on the east coast, south of Cancun, called Riviera Maya. Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Island will be perfect beach spots, safe, clean, and cheap... just one hour driving to Cancun, and one hour flight to Havana, Cuba or Puerto Rico. Do not need more than $3000/month in total expenses to have a very confi life in Mexico or Brazil. Because for foreigners is easy to have access to cultured people in those countries, is also easy to meet English and French speakers.

In Brazil, many options. Close to Rio de Janeiro, small beach spots like Cabo Frio, Buzios, Angra dos Reis or small beach spots close to Salvador, in Bahia State. Brazil real estate prices increases in the last 5 years.

If you are single, Mexican and Brazilian women are very friendly with foreigners, and it is very easy to make a lot of friends in short time. If you need connections in Mexico or Brazil, let me know.

My favorite place if I will move from Thailand, will be the East Mexican coast, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen...to spend weekends in Cuba and Puerto Rico few times a year. The west coast of Mexico is where all the violence is happenning.

Good morning Umbanda and all. Thank you for the positive info. It is a tough decision to move away once more at a certain age. But like many others, I am becoming more and more negative and bitter here. Just can't adjust to the country/culture Thailand has become....And I won't end like so many here pretending all is paradise.

I am very grateful to anybody contributing to this move and right now I am 75% Mexico and 25% Portugal. I have lived & loved in NE Brazil for 5 yrs. in the 90's and left because of crime & cost. Still miss the place, so.

The Yucatan seems to tick most of my boxes. Hot, clean sea, holiday-feeling, but option to settle in a not so touristy place, exotic, great culture, westernized and most goods available, healthcare, near other great destinations etc. etc.

I hope to make a first trip there begin of 2015. If anybody has some specific spots, areas, towns that are a MUST-VISIT, kindly post them. I used to travel a lot, but this time feel a bit apprehensive starting on this adventure. But I am serious, have already sold most of my properties here and starting to learn Spanish.

To remind: Beach, clear waters for snorkeling & diving, affordable home near beach, keeping dogs and other animals, nature, internet, healthcare and good shopping within 25 miles.

I am dreaming of a large open home, hacienda type.Hopefully don't have to spend more than 3-400K $. I am an all-rounder and can resolve most problems that present themselves, learned that in various countries but mostly during a very busy and active life here in Thailand.

I would move to FL anytime, lived there too for several years, but major tax consequences prohibit this, as I am not US citizen.

Thank you all and have a nice Sunday. wai2.gif MS>

I've used this site many times for info on Mexico:

http://www.mexicomike.com/index.html

Merida is ranked very highly as a nice place to live. I've been there and it's a nice Mexican town. Playa del Carmen is a very international town, but very touristy. That whole area has some fantastically beautiful beaches.

A couple of interesting articles:

http://www.munknee.com/the-10-best-places-to-retire-in-mexico/

http://www.expatexchange.com/ctryguide/4392/77/Mexico/Expat-Mexico-5-Best-Places-to-Live-in-Mexico

http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/livable-communities/info-07-2010/best-places-retire-abroad-mexico-puerto-vallarta.html

Thanks for this! I am looking at Mexico also.

I had always heard Mexico was unsafe but people said that about Thailand also.

I think it was only polite of TV user loppylugs1 to point out that he is on the market for lowish end casa in Portugal, it is only fair to admit that you are considerably richer, and he couldn't possibly play in the same league!

As for stuff, and difficulty moving it due to sheer amount of priceless (USD, not Zimbabwe $) items, there are ways to manage it. One phone call, and as if by miracle, several men appear in your house, and they start packing, until all the items are packed. The container is then filled to capacity. After a week or two, or three, container is at the nearest port of your new house, on another continent.

There is no need to carry everything yourself, so Naam's point that moving is very different for guy with lots of stuff is not valid.

Nobody who moves from here permanently, and buys a house in Portugal owns 1 bag and a laptop, being basically a bum, as Naam's post suggests. Question is, what to do with the stuff, what comes, and what stays, when the day comes to move.

Fragile antiquities - moving guys will use more bubble wrap I guess, extra wooden crates, stuff is moved all the time.

I haved really moved only once, from Canada to Eastern Europe. I shipped only hi end electronics, and my Suzuki GSX-R, didn't fill a sea container, moved in crates. Had I moved everything, would have needed a container.

I left my best friends in Toronto, I miss them terribly still. This is by far the hardest thing, when changing continents.

where did i suggest anything about anybody being a bum? read again!

Naam, on 07 Dec 2014 - 18:56, said:snapback.png