Special Thai report: HIV stigma 'killing people's ability to work'

webfact

This is also a problem in the west, you do a medical to start work and all these questions including AIDS and if you have had any exotic disease that includes Dengue fever and malaria, so if you have had these, you might not get a job in high unemployment.bah.gif

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It is 100% criminally illegal for employers in the US and Canada even ask you if you have HIV let alone discriminate. This applies to all professions, including phlebotomists nurses and doctors. I do not know about Europe but unlike you I'm not going to just make shit up.

YOU need a AIDS test to get visa to live in the USA ,yes and in France you have a blood test to work and a medical ,TB check to get visa for the UK ,that is to live

Not for the US.

Hey Jdinasia don't worry about my lack of knowledge being appalling worry about the lack of knowledge of the thai youth!

Just google aids increase in Thailand and get some facts.

TED talk and mr condom might be doing some good but not nearly enough is being done.

Appalling !

You spoke about the history of every government in Thailand. You were wrong.

YOU need a AIDS test to get visa to live in the USA ,yes and in France you have a blood test to work and a medical ,TB check to get visa for the UK ,that is to live

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It is 100% criminally illegal for employers in the US and Canada even ask you if you have HIV let alone discriminate. This applies to all professions, including phlebotomists nurses and doctors. I do not know about Europe but unlike you I'm not going to just make shit up.

Can you post link to this all your fact? Not sure if you are coming from some countries you need give health information and make test but positive results not mean you don't get visa.

Good morning everyone.

Yes it is in almost all western countries illegal even ask that. Not sure how about if you want get surgeon work or something like that. smile.png

UK

Restrictions applying to healthcare workers

• HIV-positive healthcare workers need to inform their occupational health department of their status.
  • Any information on HIV status given to occupational health staff must be treated with the same confidentiality standards as it would be for patients.

Exactly, here we see how things change. Different is that then who they choose positive surgeon or non positive. Medicines is really good todays and we don't live anymore in 80' or even in 90'. But like i write before in Thailand and other Asian countries all is total different than in Europe and USA.

I like your avatar Jdinasia !

Your quote

"Unfortunately all thai governments of the past have known of the aids epidemic and have either ignored to an extent or haven't put their resources into the eduction programmes ."

Proven to be untrue, under Mechai as Minister of Health. Massive education programs and commitment politically.

This is also a problem in the west, you do a medical to start work and all these questions including AIDS and if you have had any exotic disease that includes Dengue fever and malaria, so if you have had these, you might not get a job in high unemployment.bah.gif

'Following the removal of this ban in January 2010, HIV-positive individuals can now legally visit and migrate to the US. European passport holders who have HIV and wish to visit the US will now be able to do so by completing the green 'visa waiver' form that allows routine entry to the US. HIV has also ceased to be a bar for migration to the US. This means that visa applicants will no longer be questioned about their HIV status and lawful permanent-resident applicants will no longer be tested for HIV. This also means that neither visitors nor green-card applicants have to submit an ‘HIV waiver’ anymore'

http://www.aidsmap.com/Travel-restrictions/page/1504507/

Ignorance is the root of those issues.

Real education to change perceptions , continuous commitment is needed not just little gov campaigns.

I had a partner who died of AIDS which is what comes after HIV. We lived together, slept together and ate from the same dishes. HIV cannot be contracted by shaking someones hand or even kissing them. This problem is only giving to others by the exchange of bodily fluids and not close contact. The Thai government should start advertising heavily within the media the FACTS as from what I have read in this article people react out of fear and ignorance.

As for the young man who said he is HIV + and NOT taking medication I suggest he starts as the drugs available today help surpress the HIV virus and he could live for many years without the risk of developing AIDS which then is the real killer and hopefully before that time a cure for both HIV and AIDS may be available.

As we say I have been there, written the book and seen the film with my partner and it its heart breaking to see the one you love slowly die in front of your eyes and I do not wish that pain on anyone.

In certain jobs it's very important to be aware if someone has HIV.

What jobs???? I know people who work in restaurants and why not. As I said in a previous reply it requires the exchange of bodily fluids to become HIV so unless you are thinking of have sex with the waitress/waiter then no problem

HIV, the protected disease ... descrimination is called for and for good reason folks. It is foolish to jump on a bandwagon just because it is fashionable to protect LGBT related issues from scrutiny.

Yes, they have a right to work, but as the victim who didn't know said, 'he got from his girl friend'. These people should be ID'd for the public's safety, never mind the work related issue.

If one is HIV positive, then let it be known.

Then the stigma will increase and spread and perhaps their lives will become even more difficult than it already is. People can live normal lives with HIV. With proper care they can live full, quality lives. HIV is very much on the same level as Diabetes which is controllably with medication and they can live full lives. I understand that HIV is passed on from person to person, but to force every one to disclose if they are HIV in a place where such stigma exists is not an option for most. Perhaps people should educate them selves into how they could become infected and those people then have the choice to protect them selves or not. The person who says he got it from his girlfriend should perhaps have used condoms as it takes 2 to tango. He is as much at fault as the girl who may have passed it on to them. To stop the Stigma people must be educated as to how it is passed and what the likelihood of you getting it is.

If you don't know about Europe, what makes you think he's making it up?

Because he says "in the West" which includes places where it is specifically against the law to ask?

• Like 1

HIV, the protected disease ... descrimination is called for and for good reason folks. It is foolish to jump on a bandwagon just because it is fashionable to protect LGBT related issues from scrutiny.

Yes, they have a right to work, but as the victim who didn't know said, 'he got from his girl friend'. These people should be ID'd for the public's safety, never mind the work related issue.

Thanks for revealing how sick in the head you are.

What about other diseases. Should peopke be tattooed on the forehead, that way everyone knows what's going on with everyone else.

• Like 1

Because he says "in the West" which includes places where it is specifically against the law to ask?

So he should have said "some places in the west"? Pedantic or what

So he should have said "some places in the west"? Pedantic or what

Nope because "in the West" is wrong. He was making it up, unless the US /Canada /UK /EU are no longer in the West.

The whole matter is even more outrageous when you consider that the various test for HIV are so unreliable.

THe Elisa, Western Blot, Rapid Tests do NOT test for the presence of a virus , but for antibodies that are suppose to be specific to the 'HIV virus'.

However, HIV Test kit inserts state explicitly that they have no reference standard to determine if the antibodiies detected by the test come from HIV. That if you have a +ve result this should be 'confirmed' by another (same kind of) test.

To illustrate this a 1990 University of California using standard commercial Western Blot kits tested 144 dogs for "HIV" . 72 tested positive - thats 50% ! Dogs don't get HIV ! (http://www.omsj.org/wp-content/uploads/Dogs-Test-Positive.pdf)

These tests have caused so much pain and suffering to so many individuals and who become Osterized through ignorance by society. Many have committed suicide because they feel they have been given a death sentence. They should be stopped altogether. They have made Robert Gallo and Luc Montagnier multi Millionaires it just disgusts me.

• Like 2

I assume the MD refers to Mental Disability as opposed to Medical Doctor.

That is some dated BS you have just written.

HIV is actually quite difficult to get, by the way. It doesn't spread through air, you know. There must be bodily penetration and the virus must be able to come into contact with a blood cell.

Public safety? You mean "partner safety". Use condoms. Be celibate. Practice non-penetrative sex acts, including oral. Go to get tested with a partner.

Work related issue? I can't imagine getting HIV from simply working with someone.

Even if i had unprotected sex with a HIV positive female, the odds I would get it from a single exposure of full sex are somewhere between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 2000. Even receptive anal is about 1 in 100, and that's the riskiest sex you can have.

Some people are so terrified of HIV that they say dumb things like you just have.

I'm not arguing with you, but I would be interested to know where you are getting these infection/activity statistics from, and what studies they came from. I agree it's not as easy to contract as some people think, but the odds you quote sound far too optomistic to me.

HIV is actually quite difficult to get, by the way. It doesn't spread through air, you know. There must be bodily penetration and the virus must be able to come into contact with a blood cell.

Public safety? You mean "partner safety". Use condoms. Be celibate. Practice non-penetrative sex acts, including oral. Go to get tested with a partner.

Work related issue? I can't imagine getting HIV from simply working with someone.

Even if i had unprotected sex with a HIV positive female, the odds I would get it from a single exposure of full sex are somewhere between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 2000. Even receptive anal is about 1 in 100, and that's the riskiest sex you can have.

Some people are so terrified of HIV that they say dumb things like you just have.

I'm not arguing with you, but I would be interested to know where you are getting these infection/activity statistics from, and what studies they came from. I agree it's not as easy to contract as some people think, but the odds you quote sound far too optomistic to me.

Some numbers

http://www.aidsmap.com/Estimated-risk-per-exposure/page/1324038/

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/68672/putting-a-number-on-it-the-risk-from-an-exposure-t.html

Under medicine and good control odds go down to about impossible get from sex.