Thai taxi drivers explain why they reject you

webfact

Of all the trips I've had in Bangkok taxis (50-60 over the years) I count can two where I've been unhappy, one refusing to take me to 'Sai Tai'(from Saphan Kwai) and another extortionist taking me nearly 10 kms away from my desired destination in central BKK despite my then girlfriend telling me 'he knows Grung Thep better then you'.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I find the gentleman (I can't recall a lady taxi driver) who drive taxis in Bangkok are reliable, sober, and know their way, and many are from 'Isaan' meaning they have a good attitude.

A rise in taxi fares is not unreasonable. If there is such a thing as a non-peak period, a rise of 15% would be fair, 25% in peak periods (7 a.m. - 9 a.m. / 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. as an example). That is still cheap. Try taking a taxi in Melbourne (last ride there, Melbourne airport to Moreland, around 12-15 kms, for a fare of $43 or 1200 bt)and you'll never complain again.

If a taxi says no to me then I always say thank you and look for another taxi... not worth stressing about.

Yea, I do the same except before I go I leave the door open.

Now that I can speak Thai well enough ....sometimes...repeat sometimes .....when I remember to....I say to them in Thai.

"Today you are a rich person??? You do not want my business???...your business is really good????......you have lots of money already???

My girlfriend from the past once told me that all the Taxi drivers are from Isan ( not true, but many are ) so if they upset her for some reason and she wanted to let them know what she thought of them she would say:

"OK... Now I understand....you come from Isan...right?

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

whistling.gif There is another reason, and perhaps the drivers do not want to "lose face" by telling a dumb Farang this, but I don't care.

One thing many Farangs don't understand is that many drivers RENT their taxis from an owner.

They have definite hours they can drive that taxi, and if they keep the taxi too long, past their allotted hours, they have to pay a fine for late return of the taxi.

Therefore, if you ask them to go to a destination that is on the opposite side of Bangkok, they may know perfectly well that will make them late returning the taxi to the owner (who has it rented out again to someone else for that person's shift).

The taxi driver will have to pay a late fee, and often that can cost him the entire day's profit on driving an 8 hour shift right there.

The taxi driver may not be willing to tell you this, again because he will "lose face" to tell a foreigner this fact.

Some of you may already know this, some of you don't.

But now, anyway, I've told you the facts, so at least you can't say you "didn't know".

This is an important point. Many times the driver is up against the time limit of returning the vehicle and needs to consider the time of the trip. Also, taxi drivers are fully aware of areas that allow them to pick up a new fare without having to drive a long distance back to an area that is profitable. The pay the rent, they buy the gas, and they keep what they get on the meter. If they drive around all day with an empty taxi, they will never make a profit. Declining my fare is not unreasonable, and another taxi will come along shortly who is happy to take my fare. With the huge number of taxis in almost every area of this city, I don't think it is a huge burden to have to speak to two or three taxis to find the one who is happy to take you.

Furthermore, it is not just about "losing face" to not explain this to the customer. Most taxi drivers cannot speak English at a level that would allow explaining this, and most Farang are not sufficiently fluent to hear the explanation in Thai. So, the driver simply shakes his head and moves on. What's the problem?

Personally, aside from the lazy, croaked drivers on Sukhimvit and Silom late at night, and the always difficult task of getting a taxi when it is raining hard, my experiences with Bangkok taxi drivers have been quite positive, even when I have had to speak to four or five in a row to find the taxi who will take me. I would much rather ask three or four taxis to get the one happy to take my fare, than force the first one to take me when it is not convenient for him.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I always tip well (mainly because my step father was a taxi driver and I understand their expenses). Quite frankly how anyone can complain about service when paying a 60thb fare that would cost 8quid in England is beyond my comprehension, you get what you pay for and in 4 years of living here I've never treat a taxi driver disrespectful and have never had a problem in return. And when I say I tip well I'm talking about 50-100thb not heaven and Earth.

Good for you. And others tip, too. But not when the driver has tried to screw them. The modest fare vs London is totally irrelevant. We're not in London; we're in Bangkok, and the problem is that for too many taxi drivers, screwing the passenger is part of the culture. Increase the fares to a realistic level, but in so doing, get rid of the bad apples.

Then don't expect the same service as in London ....we're not there after all. But that's the typical farang arrogance and hypocrisy, if it suits my argument then compare to back home if not then separate the two. Here's a simple thing for anyone unhappy with a service..... don't use it. It's not like the police where our tax pays for them, you have a choice to use taxis and if you choose to then suck it up.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai taxi fare is already more expensive than at least a dozen countries that I can name of.

Then go and live in those countries, or stop using taxis.

• Like 1

I thought this was a joke post! They want to be able to complain when people go where they (taxi drivers) might encounter traffic etc?All of this surely strengthens the hand of UBERtaxi which is a good thing as life is all about choice. These taxi drivers cannot complain that people want to go where they don't and then complain that UBER will take them, can they? Rhetorical question!

<deleted> is this bull<deleted> excuse they have come up with now,,,,,,If the hungry sods turn on the METER it does not matter where they go,,,The meter just keeps on ticken over till the trip is finished WHY THE BULL<deleted> EXCUSES Grow up you <deleted> and do your job what you get paid to do!!!!!

Edited by metisdead
Profanties

That's fair comment Luxfare :0)

I have no problem with a driver saying no when roads are jam packed and wouldn't say no to a 50% increase at peak hours if it would alleviate the problem.

What I can't handle is these lazy sods that hang about Sukhumvit soi 11, 21, 4 asking for 100 baht and more for a 40 baht trip.

If the police really wanted to stop these lowlifes they would but neither them or General plod have done a thing about it.

Most Taxi drivers working a normal shift are real nice and the cops should leave them alone and concentrate on getting rid of the touts who make a living out of ripping off anyone they can

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 2

We are pointing fingers at wrong people. The main source of problem is not the drivers, but the taxi companies. They charge too much rental fees from the drivers, and they also have quite harsh policies especially returning the car on time. My driver used to drive a taxi. He said all his hard work, he often made only a 200~300 baht per day after rental fees and gas. They want customers as much as possible but need to watch where they go. They can't afford to get stuck in too much traffic, or go somewhere far where they can't expect customer on the way back. They also need to consider the time it takes to refill the gas and return the car on time, otherwise they pay the penalty.

Next time when you get refused, don't take it personal. They are only trying to make a living under harse condition.

• Like 1

I remember once having to take a 10 minute trip home in the Wongwian Yai area, because it was raining. My Thai boyfriend tried to get a taxi, and was met with many just shaking their head, and driving off without any explanation. He was upset at so many people being rude to him, when we finally got a taxi, he asked the driver why we were being refused. The driver was a lovely old man, and he said many drivers are "khee giiat" (lazy) and want a longer trip so they can get more money. We had a nice conversation and offered him a tip, which he didn't take saying he was "just doing his job", so we left it in the back seat pocket.

• Like 2

"We don't reject passengers, we just reject your destination," the taxi admin wrote" blink.png

Classic twisted Thai logic.

"We earn THB100 from you, but do you know what we have to pay for it?"

Your Local Mafia Extortionist? wai2.gifwai.gif

"Do you think it is worth our time?”

It had better be you lazy <deleted>. Or, get a real job.

"The status claims taxi drivers should be able to file complaints against bad customers." blink.pngcheesy.gif

More Classic twisted Thai logic.

The Thai really have a knack for endearing others with their Foot in The Mouth approach.

And they love to always blame the customer. Absolutely BIZARRE.

Minds of children...

complete absence of understanding that fares have not increased at all while the cost of doing business skyrockets. i would refuse to go too.

I would have found another job.

Especially, if I had a family.

thumbsup.gif

And, I'll bet the times that they rob you, more than make up for it. wai2.gifwai.gif

though... ONE THING I DEFINITELY AGREE is that the taxi fares have not budged in YEARS. they definitely should go up. that is probably the only part which is NOT FAIR to the Taxi driver.

of course, no passengers want taxi fares to rise... but ethically and to be fair, they should go up.

But, everything else they are complaining about is childish.

I don't think this give anyone a reason to be not polite.

Shaking the head and refusing with bad manner is a habit of many taxi drivers. Especially if it's raining and you have been looking for a taxi for the last hour or so.

In 12 years living in Bangkok, very few times I've encountered drivers who politely refused because was too much traffic or they had to bring the car back. Much respect to those few guys.

All the others... well, it looks like they are typically baby screaming "you are bad too! ..I'm gonna tell mom! passifier.gif "

Agree with the point re change of shift, if it's that time of day I fully understand a driver not wanting to head off in a different direction to his depot- and anyway I always plan when in Bkk (not too often luckily) to arrange my schedule to stay away from the shift change times. Solves my problem and reduces the stress levels.

whistling.gif There is another reason, and perhaps the drivers do not want to "lose face" by telling a dumb Farang this, but I don't care.

One thing many Farangs don't understand is that many drivers RENT their taxis from an owner.

They have definite hours they can drive that taxi, and if they keep the taxi too long, past their allotted hours, they have to pay a fine for late return of the taxi.

Therefore, if you ask them to go to a destination that is on the opposite side of Bangkok, they may know perfectly well that will make them late returning the taxi to the owner (who has it rented out again to someone else for that person's shift).

The taxi driver will have to pay a late fee, and often that can cost him the entire day's profit on driving an 8 hour shift right there.

The taxi driver may not be willing to tell you this, again because he will "lose face" to tell a foreigner this fact.

Some of you may already know this, some of you don't.

But now, anyway, I've told you the facts, so at least you can't say you "didn't know".

I have heard that many times, only in the areas always mentioned - lower sukumvit and silom being the worst, but also pratunaam and others.

I am never going out to Kanchanapisek or some town on the road to Samut Songkram. Also, this is applicable 4-6 pm and am, when the shifts change. However, one can hear this excuse any hour.

Why not introduce a system they have in places like Singapore - a driver has a sign for his district in Thai / English and when he is approaching shift change puts this on the windshield. That way everyone knows what is going on. And the driver can even get a fare that takes him on the way home.

If that were the case i think the drivers would just be on permanent shift change

You can change the rules but you can't change the mentality

"What if your salary is not worth your work and not enough to pay for your monthly expenses? Would you be okay with that?"

No. I would find another job I'm qualified to do that pays a higher wage. However, if you are only qualified to drive a taxi and can't find anything better, then you are required to follow the rules. The passenger decides where the destination is. The fare is determined by the honest use of the meter. You are supposed to act respectively towards your passenger...Unless the passenger is being unruly...And "unruly" doesn't mean he wants to go to a destination that is inconvenient for you. If you don't like these requirements for the job, then stop complaining and train to develop a skill which will land you a better job...Or...Do something to convince the powers that be to increase the fares across the board and not have every taxi driver making up his own rules and regulations, and then be upset when passengers are confused and make complaints about being treated unfairly. If you have to return the taxi to the owner at a certain time, then don't stop to pick up any passengers and get the taxi back on time.

Think you try to make it sound simple and easy, when reality is not that simple. Take your last statement where you say "If you have to return the taxi to the owner at a certain time, then dont stop to pick up any passengers and get the taxi back on time. Uh, You dont know how much time is needed for a passenger, until you stop and find out their destination. So, are you saying dont stop for any passenger in the last 1-2 hours because you have to return the taxi? They still have time for some destinations, but not ones that will take a long time.

If fares are not sufficient to make money when you are sitting in traffic, then they should have the right to complain that fares should be raised and or not want to go there, or ask for a higher fare, which many would reject and complain about. I would do the same. And it is too easy to say go convince the powers that be to increase fares or go find another line of work, but much harder to do.

Not disagreeing with some of these points you make, but it is much too easy to say those things when you are not the one facing those realities. It aint as simple and easy, black and white, as you try to pass it off to be.

I love the way some of these taxis are decorated inside. Ive been in shrines to hello kitty, Elvis, Liverpool, Man U, Some guy had his taxi completely covered inside with old lottery tickets. Each driver you meet has a new story to share and most are very pleasent and can speak English well. Only a very few of the hundreds of journeys in taxis have I had an unpleasent trip. But always a safe trip. Take the taxi, its a great way to travel and learn Thai culture close up with your lovable character of a taxi driver.

What next, how about sex workers give their reasons for rejecting you ??

In England, how about plumbers give their reasons why they're not turning up at your house to do whatever plumbing job ?

Should people really need to give a reason why they don't want certain customers or certain bussiness ? Laws that demand you must accept all customers, you can only reject some of them if you have a good enough reason, are these laws sensible ?

If I'm operating whatever bussiness, how ridiculous would it be if the court wants to do me for 'not putting in enough effort to cater for whatever potential customers' ??

Stop giving them excuses why it is ok for them to not take anyone they choose as it may be out of there way or traffic is bad that way or i need to get back and meet the other drunken whiskey slugging scum taxi drivers.

There <deleted> taxi drivers for gods sake. They're suppose to take public from A to B ..... not choose at there own liking.

What a complete load of BS ........ coffee1.gif

kick the whole <deleted> lot out and start again , regulate it properly and increase the fares so long as standard of service improves.

dress like a representative of a transport company and not like a drunken hobo.

clean the car every now and then so it doesn't smell like a trash can.

stop drinking for one day so you will be legal to operate a vehicle as according to thai law.

respect the passengers privacy without jibbering on with bull<deleted> about where he's from or if he's interested in buying a diamond ring from a geniune dealer on Khoasan road.

as you are suppose to be a taxi ..... take the customer where he request to go.

Anyone who thinks Bangkok taxis are not like this is talking BS and they haven't got a clue. I can tell you that this is the way most of the taxis are....wai2.gif

I can see both sides of the argument to some degree or other,however they choose to drive a taxi in one of the most congested and screwed up traffic systems in the world and there are supposedly rules and laws.

Blame he government for it's endless myopic approach to urban planning and knee jerk one day wonder traffic fixes via the super intelligent RTP. The only angst I have with the cowboy brigade is with regard to refusing to use the meter and claiming fare rates 200/300 % of the regular meter fare. I use taxi service in Bangkok extensively and 70% of my experiences have been favorable.

The Taxi's would be better served by channeling their anger towards the limp dicks who claim to be in charge of things rather than the customers who provide their living.

Sorry lads and lasses.You took the job you should be aware of the problems.

Let's be fair a number of these taxi's are better described as fecal matter on wheels, drivers who don't have a clue as where they are going and a number of them are no more than cheap pimps for the sex trade.

However to be fair it is a minority of these taxi drivers those categories..,

Sorry lads and lasses.You took the job

No, they did not take the job.

When they reject your fare, they reject the job.

Like anyone who works on a "pay by the job" bases, doctors, lawyers, gardeners, painters or whatever,

they have a right to turn jobs that they will lose money on.

• Like 1

Stevenzero In reply to your recent post. I hope you get run over by a taxi, your accusations of taxi drivers in general as alcholic good for nothings is a disgrace. Taxi drivers have found thousands of baht in their taxis left there by accident and have returned it all to their rightful owners. The majority are good upstanding people looking after their families, struggling to make ends meet. You should be ashamed of yourself. Ruddy fool!

I can see both sides of the argument to some degree or other,however they choose to drive a taxi in one of the most congested and screwed up traffic systems in the world and there are supposedly rules and laws.

Blame he government for it's endless myopic approach to urban planning and knee jerk one day wonder traffic fixes via the super intelligent RTP. The only angst I have with the cowboy brigade is with regard to refusing to use the meter and claiming fare rates 200/300 % of the regular meter fare. I use taxi service in Bangkok extensively and 70% of my experiences have been favorable.

The Taxi's would be better served by channeling their anger towards the limp dicks who claim to be in charge of things rather than the customers who provide their living.

Well, yes, I agree, taxi drivers who don't use the meter, and then charge a bumped up fee later on need to be punished. And swiching on the meter or not, but deliberately driving some where using a longer route must also be punished.

Can't believe some are complaining about the taxis in Thailand. Yeah, it's annoying when they wn't take you somewhere cos it's too busy or too far away. However, have you tried getting a cab on a Friday or satudrady night in the UK? In the freezing cold? Wait an hour (if lucky) and get charged about the same as the GDP of a 3rd world nation.

Thai taxis are cheap and plentiful. If he won't take you, another one will be along in about 5 seconds. I find if you offer 100 over the meter, they'll take you. I don't do it when I know I'm being taken for a ride (no pun intended), But don't mind if there is a good reason. Even with the extra 100B, it's still cheap you tight %4££"*!!

Matybe you'd like them to be just like the taxis back home and charge you 10x as much?

Sorry lads and lasses.You took the job you should be aware of the problems.

Let's be fair a number of these taxi's are better described as fecal matter on wheels, drivers who don't have a clue as where they are going and a number of them are no more than cheap pimps for the sex trade.

However to be fair it is a minority of these taxi drivers those categories..,

Sorry lads and lasses.You took the job

No, they did not take the job.

When they reject your fare, they reject the job.

Like anyone who works on a "pay by the job" bases, doctors, lawyers, gardeners, painters or whatever,

they have a right to turn jobs that they will lose money on.

Exactly, how ridiculous would it be if a man is allowed to sue a painter for refusing to paint some bit of his house ?

How about I complain about a sex worker who refused my money ? If she don't like my body odour or whatever, fair enough, I'ill see if other workers want my money !!!

:)

• Like 1

Agree with the point re change of shift, if it's that time of day I fully understand a driver not wanting to head off in a different direction to his depot

This would be ridiculously simple to solve; Same as they do in Singapore. The taxi driver puts a sign in his window that says "Changing Shift: Bedok" or wherever his depot is located. This way he can find a fare that is going his direction, and other potential passengers realize why he cannot take them where they want to go.

• Like 2

Agree with the point re change of shift, if it's that time of day I fully understand a driver not wanting to head off in a different direction to his depot

This would be ridiculously simple to solve; Same as they do in Singapore. The taxi driver puts a sign in his window that says "Changing Shift: Bedok" or wherever his depot is located. This way he can find a fare that is going his direction, and other potential passengers realize why he cannot take them where they want to go.

Might be a good idea !

• Like 1