Thai taxi drivers explain why they reject you

webfact

complete and utter bo***cks...go get another job if you are incapable of doing taxi driving.......if you went into starducks and asked for a fraparipoff and they said no sorry too long time to make you would never go there again...these people are a joke

what I always used to thing when a taxi refused me was your loss as I always gave minimum 100baht tip ....now i just round up the fare to the nearest 10baht..so great job

Typical Thai logic response, just like the post office with their parcels.

Instead of looking for the root cause of the complaints and sorting that out.

They could maybe try improving service, politeness, technology, use waiting fares while in traffic jam, etc.

They just pass the blame on onto someone else and take no responsibility.

Here's a hint for you FB page why don't you ask your customers what you as taxi drivers can do better and therefore improve your business.

Edited by Jezames

"We don't reject passengers, we just reject your destination," the taxi admin wrote, "We earn THB100 from you, but do you know what we have to pay for it? Do you think it is worth our time?”

...............sure beats hunger

I know of one Middle East country where a 10km journey - on the meter - can cost you Bt1500.

And that's in a country where petrol is less than Bt9 a litre.

So, as much as I don't like thieves and scoundrels, I don't quibble too much over a few baht late at night, especially when I just want to get home.

Of course that will probably get me abuse for "spoiling it for all of us", but the truth is that, even on a global scale, Bangkok taxis are ridiculously cheap, just as Phuket ones are ridiculously expensive.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

They reject the destination but why do they need to spend such a long time thinking about it leaving the passenger in suspense as their brains slowly process the request.

I always waive on cabs that have just rejected another passenger. They cause horrible jams sitting there interviewing all passengers in the queue.

Once I hailed a taxi outside Terminal 21 wanting to go to Tesco Lotus by Soi 50. Driver just shook his head so I said "Chok dee, na", shut the door and walked off. He then jumped out and proceeded to physically attack me, kicking me with these really pathetic soft kicks. I just asked him in Thai what he thought he was doing and told him to calm down. Then he jumped back in and sped away. Sure, I was being sarcastic, but that doesn't justify that thuggish idiot getting out to attack me.

Anyway, I still hold that I've never had a real problem in Thailand with a Thai person (unlike fellow foreigners) because I understand it was my own fault for being sarcastic and brought it on myself for speaking to a child like that. Obviously I'm being somewhat facetious.

As to the little brats in the OP, let them go to the UK to be taxi drivers and they'll have a rude awakening, having to be professional, abide by road laws then go home and have to find the money for Council Tax and all the other expenses that come from living in the real world and a transparent economy.

These babies don't know they're born.

• Like 2

I have little sympathy with the taxi drivers and the response in the article borders on the ridiculous. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a better service and if the service is Ok then I always tip. it is when I ask for the air con to be turned up slightly for a while and I get a reply of "I am Ok and cold" or could the 'Isaan Music' be turned down slightly, and I get a no, then there is no tip. With many services here in Bangkok I find that the concept[t of repeat customers is a difficult point to understand bad it is always the new customer that counts.

When asking a taxi driver who opens his window and ask 'where you going, I use to reply ''to your house" as out of 20 taxis I would get an OK from one. I just move on to the next ones. Possibly a little bit of training on driving with passengers, tips on customer service and dare I say, knowledge of Bangkok and the taxi drivers could get themselves a licence or certificate having a standard of quality. Just a suggestion. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little more. Then they could display this 'badge of honour' so customers would know that they have done some form of formal training.

complete and utter bo***cks...go get another job if you are incapable of doing taxi driving.......if you went into starducks and asked for a fraparipoff and they said no sorry too long time to make you would never go there again...these people are a joke

what I always used to thing when a taxi refused me was your loss as I always gave minimum 100baht tip ....now i just round up the fare to the nearest 10baht..so great job

And yet, I can go from the airport to my home around Asoke for about the same as a cup of Starbucks coffee.

• Like 1

I usually make it clear i will tip them well.

Never had problem .

Might cost me $3-$6 extra but i have usually family and want polite treatment.

They are always very grateful , polite and deserved of a tourist extra earn.

I might catch 4-5 per visit ..its not a great deal of money.

But to them its a significant tip.

I think they deserve more.

Those traffic jams are hellish

And its unfair they can take people to an airport spend 30 minutes of their day and only make $10…..before the gas and hire costs are taken out .

I know its Thailand .

But tipping ensures they neither go too fast or feel upset when caught in traffic.

• Like 1

whistling.gif There is another reason, and perhaps the drivers do not want to "lose face" by telling a dumb Farang this, but I don't care.

One thing many Farangs don't understand is that many drivers RENT their taxis from an owner.

They have definite hours they can drive that taxi, and if they keep the taxi too long, past their allotted hours, they have to pay a fine for late return of the taxi.

Therefore, if you ask them to go to a destination that is on the opposite side of Bangkok, they may know perfectly well that will make them late returning the taxi to the owner (who has it rented out again to someone else for that person's shift).

The taxi driver will have to pay a late fee, and often that can cost him the entire day's profit on driving an 8 hour shift right there.

The taxi driver may not be willing to tell you this, again because he will "lose face" to tell a foreigner this fact.

Some of you may already know this, some of you don't.

But now, anyway, I've told you the facts, so at least you can't say you "didn't know".

And sometimes they're low on gas.

I generally have a 2 km walk from my house to find a taxi. Yesterday, mid walk, an empty one without the red (available) light stopped and asked me if I wanted a free ride to the mouth of the soi. I got in and told him where I wanted to go, but he said he was low on gas. So I asked him where he was going, figured out a point en route where I could walk to a BTS station, and told him to turn on the meter. Taxi driver and passenger both happy, and the driver gave the passenger a big wai after he'd paid.

Occasionally I have problems with taxis, but most of the time I learn a lot, enjoy my time chatting to them, or else enjoy my own thoughts while they keep quiet.

A few months ago, whilst talking about Bangkok of yore, a taxi driver told me he was 87 years old. I said I didn't believe him and he stopped the car and showed me his ID card. The passenger gave the driver a big wai upon exit.

• Like 1

Excuse me...did I see, what I thought I saw?

Un-<deleted>- believable!

You are a taxi- driver, for whoevers sake!

Imagine, you go into a restaurant, order a salami- pizza from the menu and the waiter tells you, you can not have it, because ...well..he likes tuna better!

• Like 1

F me dead. I think the taxi drivers do have a good point.

I have been wondering since 2007 how they make money.

The vehicle rental fee is 700 baht minimum I think? Plus gas expenses (not sure about insurance).

I find people complaining about being refused a fare are stretching it a bit. There are so many taxis here, the next one will take you to your destination.

It really is no big deal considering the (meter) price we pay.

• Like 2

whistling.gif There is another reason, and perhaps the drivers do not want to "lose face" by telling a dumb Farang this, but I don't care.

One thing many Farangs don't understand is that many drivers RENT their taxis from an owner.

They have definite hours they can drive that taxi, and if they keep the taxi too long, past their allotted hours, they have to pay a fine for late return of the taxi.

Therefore, if you ask them to go to a destination that is on the opposite side of Bangkok, they may know perfectly well that will make them late returning the taxi to the owner (who has it rented out again to someone else for that person's shift).

The taxi driver will have to pay a late fee, and often that can cost him the entire day's profit on driving an 8 hour shift right there.

The taxi driver may not be willing to tell you this, again because he will "lose face" to tell a foreigner this fact.

But now, anyway, I've told you the facts, so at least you can't say you "didn't know".

What a load of BS, you are as bad as dumb ass taxi drivers..

Edited by recycled
  • Like 1

To be fair, taxi fares should go up and the amount of baht the meter jumps during a traffic jam should be increased. It doesn't make sense to be stuck in traffic for an hour and only see the meter jump a few baht.

That being said, nobody likes people who whine about being 'oppressed'. I wish they'd legalize Uber soon and get more drivers. That will teach these idiot taxi drivers.

"It doesn't make sense to be stuck in traffic for an hour and only see the meter jump a few baht."

That doesn't happen if you're stuck in traffic for longish periods, the meter price increases fairly rapidly as per the rate for slow or non-moving traffic.

I don't think this give anyone a reason to be not polite.

Shaking the head and refusing with bad manner is a habit of many taxi drivers. Especially if it's raining and you have been looking for a taxi for the last hour or so.

In 12 years living in Bangkok, very few times I've encountered drivers who politely refused because was too much traffic or they had to bring the car back. Much respect to those few guys.

All the others... well, it looks like they are typically baby screaming "you are bad too! ..I'm gonna tell mom! passifier.gif "

"We don't reject passengers, we just reject your destination," the taxi admin wrote" blink.png

Classic twisted Thai logic.

"We earn THB100 from you, but do you know what we have to pay for it?"

Your Local Mafia Extortionist? wai2.gifwai.gif

"Do you think it is worth our time?”

It had better be you lazy <deleted>. Or, get a real job.

"The status claims taxi drivers should be able to file complaints against bad customers." blink.pngcheesy.gif

More Classic twisted Thai logic.

The Thai really have a knack for endearing others with their Foot in The Mouth approach.

And they love to always blame the customer. Absolutely BIZARRE.

Minds of children...

complete absence of understanding that fares have not increased at all while the cost of doing business skyrockets. i would refuse to go too.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

Meters should be calibrated to measure time and distance. So if Thailand's taxi meters are only measuring distance, I've got to agree with the cabbie's concerns. But their gripe should be lodged with the government agency that regulated taxis. If the metering scheme is unfair, lobby the government to change it. Don't get all bent out of shape at the customers.

Edited by connda

No less than 10 taxis were asking from 400 to 600 baht to take me from Pratunam to Praram 4 - 1/2 a km before Hua Lamphong Train Station. That trip would have cost less than 100 baht. Is it fare for those taxis to charge me 400 to 600 Baht?

"Is it fare for those taxis to charge me 400 to 600 Baht?"

Is it "fare"? That's exactly what it is, yes.

You have to admit, the taxi driver speaks the truth. Just saw a post where a farang was complaining about a 100 baht fare. Really.

I know plenty of Thais that would also complain, certainly when the fee isn't on the meter and was a fixed price for a 40 baht ride on the meter.

I simply refuse when they quote a fixed price, as often it is 2 to 3 times the metered price. Just a few weeks ago I wanted to go from the top of Sukhumvit Soi 3 to Thong Lor BTS and the guy quoted a 150 baht flat fee, which is three times the metered fee.

I have no sympathy whatsoever with practices like this and I am sure many Thais would agree.

• Like 1

I don't mind paying more but then I will also expect that I don't have to give them directions or pay for the time they stop to ask a buddy or person on the street for directions. Along with rights comes another word that begins with the letter r : responsibility.

+1...I have also heard similar stories from drivers. Their in business to make a living and if it is not a profitable run, then who can blame them for not wanting that job.

Meters should be calibrated to measure time and distance. So if Thailand's taxi meters are only measuring distance, I've got to agree with the cabbie's concerns. But their gripe should be lodged with the government agency that regulated taxis. If the metering scheme is unfair, lobby the government to change it. Don't get all bent out of shape at the customers.

"Meters should be calibrated to measure time and distance."

They are.

• Like 2

I have little sympathy with the taxi drivers and the response in the article borders on the ridiculous. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a better service and if the service is Ok then I always tip. it is when I ask for the air con to be turned up slightly for a while and I get a reply of "I am Ok and cold" or could the 'Isaan Music' be turned down slightly, and I get a no, then there is no tip. With many services here in Bangkok I find that the concept[t of repeat customers is a difficult point to understand bad it is always the new customer that counts.

When asking a taxi driver who opens his window and ask 'where you going, I use to reply ''to your house" as out of 20 taxis I would get an OK from one. I just move on to the next ones. Possibly a little bit of training on driving with passengers, tips on customer service and dare I say, knowledge of Bangkok and the taxi drivers could get themselves a licence or certificate having a standard of quality. Just a suggestion. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little more. Then they could display this 'badge of honour' so customers would know that they have done some form of formal training.

Yeah , but then it would not be 5 minutes before they all started copying and displaying their jobsworth badges, or another scenario would be Somchai does the test goes to work , then leaves his jobsworth badge on the car and the next unqulaified taxi driver gets in the car to start the next shift.

They all have a licence badge in the car with a pic of the registered authorised driver on it and his ID number , but how many faces of drivers match the face on the displayed badge in the car???

Unless this "badge of honour system" you propose, is policed openly and honestly ( another joke for another post ) it would never work.

You have to admit, the taxi driver speaks the truth. Just saw a post where a farang was complaining about a 100 baht fare. Really.

i think it is because almost EVERY taxi in foreign countries must take you where you want to go. they can not say no. and they dont complain. many other cities in the world also have traffic too. (so foreigners expect this from any taxi because they used to it from their travelling around the world).

to tell the truth,, i live in Pratunam a VERY busy traffic area during the afternoon.

i often have to ask about 4 or 5 taxis before i finally get accepted. and usually I am going to sukhumvit or paragon or something.

i dont really understand why they say no (because EVERYWHERE in the area is busy around my home... if they go straight forward, left, right or u-turn... its ALL traffic).. so why say no to sukhumvit (less than 3 km) or paragon,, (just 2km). because no matter where they go, they will have traffic in my zone of bangkok.

its like a waiter in a restaurant not serving certain customers because he thinks they wont give him a good tip !!

the ONLY time I agree with Taxi Drivers is when they must finish their shift and return their car and they dont have time to take me. This is ok and fine.

but I disagree with taxi drivers that dont do their job. BUT: this is thailand... I see staff in department stores sleeping and picking their nose and squeezing their spots and chatting on the phone and ignoring customers! 5555

.. and when I ask for the location of a product in a department store or supermarket, the staff just point in the direction and they are lazy to walk with me to show me where is the product. so I understand that thai people are not the same as most other developed countries of the world. so with this knowledge of Thai staff, i can understand the taxi drivers. they just want an easy day. they dont want to do the hard part of their job. (so,, yes I understand).

i wonder how it will be when ASEAN community opens and hundreds of thousands of HARD WORKING Burma and Filipino people come to work here? i imagine that many employers will hire them,, and many thai people might lose their jobs.

what is your opinion ?

Edited by easybullet3
  • Like 1