Thai taxi drivers explain why they reject you

webfact

whistling.gif There is another reason, and perhaps the drivers do not want to "lose face" by telling a dumb Farang this, but I don't care.

One thing many Farangs don't understand is that many drivers RENT their taxis from an owner.

They have definite hours they can drive that taxi, and if they keep the taxi too long, past their allotted hours, they have to pay a fine for late return of the taxi.

Therefore, if you ask them to go to a destination that is on the opposite side of Bangkok, they may know perfectly well that will make them late returning the taxi to the owner (who has it rented out again to someone else for that person's shift).

The taxi driver will have to pay a late fee, and often that can cost him the entire day's profit on driving an 8 hour shift right there.

The taxi driver may not be willing to tell you this, again because he will "lose face" to tell a foreigner this fact.

Some of you may already know this, some of you don't.

But now, anyway, I've told you the facts, so at least you can't say you "didn't know".

How much is the late fee ?

whistling.gif There is another reason, and perhaps the drivers do not want to "lose face" by telling a dumb Farang this, but I don't care.

One thing many Farangs don't understand is that many drivers RENT their taxis from an owner.

They have definite hours they can drive that taxi, and if they keep the taxi too long, past their allotted hours, they have to pay a fine for late return of the taxi.

Therefore, if you ask them to go to a destination that is on the opposite side of Bangkok, they may know perfectly well that will make them late returning the taxi to the owner (who has it rented out again to someone else for that person's shift).

The taxi driver will have to pay a late fee, and often that can cost him the entire day's profit on driving an 8 hour shift right there.

The taxi driver may not be willing to tell you this, again because he will "lose face" to tell a foreigner this fact.

But now, anyway, I've told you the facts, so at least you can't say you "didn't know".

How much is the late fee ?

Or how much is the late fee in the middle of a shift? w00t.gif

This post is for tbe idiots. Most people either dont pay attention or dont notice that the fare increases even if the car is stuck in traffic. So the customer is paying more for the fare if they are stuck in traffic as compensation for this.

It is ab excuse only good for the dim-witted

• Like 1

You have to admit, the taxi driver speaks the truth. Just saw a post where a farang was complaining about a 100 baht fare. Really.

You are talking about one person, this taxi driver is referring to everyone.

This is ludicrous.

Taxi drivers are complaining about people who want to pay more for good service and offer up the excuse that it is the passengers fault for their bad service.

It's the law. If they don't want to follow it, they should go back to the ricefields they originate from. Hope with the raising prices law inforcement will also increase. Ever tried to go from Chatuchak to Don Mueang? There were dozens of people waiting there and all were rejected, That was with average traffic.

Agree with most of what you said, but, I hate to be picky taxi drivers work 12 hour shifts, you do not make enough in 8 hours to live on. This is my experience as a taxi driver where the fares are significantly higher than BKK. We do not get fines for being late but if the driver on the other shift is late regularly I ask for and get compensation for the short shift I have to work as a result of his poor planning.

No less than 10 taxis were asking from 400 to 600 baht to take me from Pratunam to Praram 4 - 1/2 a km before Hua Lamphong Train Station. That trip would have cost less than 100 baht. Is it fare for those taxis to charge me 400 to 600 Baht?

• Like 1

To be fair, taxi fares should go up and the amount of baht the meter jumps during a traffic jam should be increased. It doesn't make sense to be stuck in traffic for an hour and only see the meter jump a few baht.

That being said, nobody likes people who whine about being 'oppressed'. I wish they'd legalize Uber soon and get more drivers. That will teach these idiot taxi drivers.

Based on what?

Thai needs or foreigner's needs?