Thai taxi drivers explain why they reject you

webfact

You have to admit, the taxi driver speaks the truth. Just saw a post where a farang was complaining about a 100 baht fare. Really.

And your point is????

It is not the long journeys they refuse, it is the short ones in case they miss a more 'profitable' one.

• Like 1

They were never going to win this argument - certainly not on here.

They have options, of course - the bad drivers who do not want to take you to your destination can leave.

The good drivers will make more money and the service will improve.

Meters should be calibrated to measure time and distance. So if Thailand's taxi meters are only measuring distance, I've got to agree with the cabbie's concerns. But their gripe should be lodged with the government agency that regulated taxis. If the metering scheme is unfair, lobby the government to change it. Don't get all bent out of shape at the customers.

Thai taxi meters ARE calibrated to measure time and distance. These details are displayed in front of you in most taxis.

+1...I have also heard similar stories from drivers. Their in business to make a living and if it is not a profitable run, then who can blame them for not wanting that job.

-1 It's their job and they chose it.

I don't bleat and do a bad job because I don't like the conditions under which I work - after I chose to work thereunder.

Just out of curiosity does a 1200 baht fare from airport to pattaya provide a relatively decent profit for the driver, as opposed to a typical drive into Bangkok?

Only if he can get a return fare. He has to pay a commission to touts for a return fare and the fare back is usually around B800 or so.

whistling.gif There is another reason, and perhaps the drivers do not want to "lose face" by telling a dumb Farang this, but I don't care.

One thing many Farangs don't understand is that many drivers RENT their taxis from an owner.

They have definite hours they can drive that taxi, and if they keep the taxi too long, past their allotted hours, they have to pay a fine for late return of the taxi.

Therefore, if you ask them to go to a destination that is on the opposite side of Bangkok, they may know perfectly well that will make them late returning the taxi to the owner (who has it rented out again to someone else for that person's shift).

The taxi driver will have to pay a late fee, and often that can cost him the entire day's profit on driving an 8 hour shift right there.

The taxi driver may not be willing to tell you this, again because he will "lose face" to tell a foreigner this fact.

Some of you may already know this, some of you don't.

But now, anyway, I've told you the facts, so at least you can't say you "didn't know".

Most people are aware of that, I guess and most people can understand why they don't want to go long distances and be stuck in traffic.

What people have a problem with is:

- taxis rejecting locals to favour farangs who will tip.

- taxis at night who don't want to take you to your destination (not far away) but to their choice of club instead. I don't want to go to Spicy, I want to go home.

- taxis who refuse to do the meter and want 400 baht or whatever.

If they are unhappy with customers and their choice of destination, they shouldn't be in their choice of job.

If you provide a service, that's what you're expected to do, provide a service.

Yes, last week had 3 taxis in soi Nana dictating their terms to drive me to DM airport, refusing to go by the meter. I usually round up with a good tip for a good driver.

I ended up walking to the Nana BTS station, 42 bath to Mo Chit, had A1 airport bus within a minute at 30B, up to them. In fact next time will take the IBIS free shuttle to the BTS.

The day before had a nice driver with a brand new taxi, way better than a lousy T Corola who drove me to Yaowarat in heavy traffic and advised me to leave his cab and take a soi by foot, his meter showed 99B, gave him 120. There are nice guys out there.

Edited by tartempion

whistling.gif There is another reason, and perhaps the drivers do not want to "lose face" by telling a dumb Farang this, but I don't care.

One thing many Farangs don't understand is that many drivers RENT their taxis from an owner.

They have definite hours they can drive that taxi, and if they keep the taxi too long, past their allotted hours, they have to pay a fine for late return of the taxi.

Therefore, if you ask them to go to a destination that is on the opposite side of Bangkok, they may know perfectly well that will make them late returning the taxi to the owner (who has it rented out again to someone else for that person's shift).

The taxi driver will have to pay a late fee, and often that can cost him the entire day's profit on driving an 8 hour shift right there.

The taxi driver may not be willing to tell you this, again because he will "lose face" to tell a foreigner this fact.

Some of you may already know this, some of you don't.

But now, anyway, I've told you the facts, so at least you can't say you "didn't know".

I for one know this as it has been brought up repeatedly as taxi issues are a matter of constant debate on TV. However, this system abuses the user more than the driver. And the users are mostly Thai. We farang make up a very small percentage of people in Thailand but we just scream louder when we feel we have been treated badly.

• Like 1

OK admittedly I don't really catch taxis because I like to drive myself. I own a car and even previously, before I bought my car I always rented a self-drive car for the entire period I was in Thailand and would be reluctant to catch a cab, even after going out for a drink, which in my case would mean only 1 beer, because I'm driving. I just don't like public transport, period (although I am OK with occasionally catching the skytrain for 3-4 stations during periods of heavy traffic congestion and parking somewhere less congested). Besides, given the way people drive here I am fearful of giving anyone else control - hence why I rarely let anyone else drive my car even on long journeys too.

Anyway, I've always thought that taxi drivers in Bangkok (and other parts of Thailand which have taxis) see foreigners on the street and start honking at them, then open their windows and ask "where you go?" Therefore, maybe it's just Thais getting rejected? Or foreigners who can't make themselves understood?

I can only recall one or two incidents of not getting a ride with a taxi driver (in those rare instances where I needed a cab, usually only to get back to where I parked my car) and this was replaced by another taxi appearing within the next minute.

Only in China is catching a cab an extremely frustrating experience - during rush hours waits of 30 minutes or longer are common unless you go for a so-called "hei che" or "black taxi", which basically means a private car whose driver wants to make a few extra bucks, charging more than a taxi would but of course you can bargain. If you're lucky and traffic is heavy, the fare may even be less than what a taxi would have ended up costing.

But with 106,000 taxis and counting in Bangkok, there is very much an oversupply of cabs. Therefore I don't see black cabs making an appearance in Thailand anytime soon.

So ... they think they are doing us a favor when they accept our destination? If they are doing us a favor, why should we pay them at all?

Seriously, taxi drivers are a service provider and part of the public transport system. They are also a face of Thailand to visitors. Currently taxi drivers are an ugly face that is an embarrassment to the country.

If taxi drivers can't accept driving in traffic ... get another job! ASAP! We don't want you!

I have lived in Bangkok for 15 years and at the moment I take 2 or more taxis a day, so I have had plenty of experience with the drivers.

Most are good but there are many (and I mean many) who refuse to take me to the destination I want. Ok I just wait for the next one.

Some try asking 200 Baht for a 50 baht trip, and one even wanted a blow job!

Today, however, I have just experienced the worst.

I wanted to go from Bangkok Hospital to Thong Lor (near Camillian Hospital). It's not far but I had two or three big boxes. I thought about taking a motorbike but didn't like the idea of holding the big boxes.

I asked the security woman to get me a taxi to Thong Lor. He drove in but when he saw me he said he wouldn't go. I asked why. (In Thai) and he said the traffic was too bad (15.15 in the afternoon). I told him rubbish and that the traffic was ok. He then asked for 300 Baht. The security woman was taken back too and I saw her write something in her book. I said I would complain but he sped off before I even got his number.

A few minutes later I got another taxi. Cost ... 45 Baht . Time .. about 5 minutes

• Like 1

Simple to solve is it not, just have fare zones. Areas with traffic jams run at a higher rate than out lying areas. If you travel from a outlying area into high traffic areas or if you travel within a high traffic area you pay the higher rate. Singapore have a higher rate for times of the day when traffic is at its peak. Many ways to solve the problem, but all this talking about the problem without finding a way to solve it is starting to hurt my ears. One of the biggest problems is not traffic but the lack of customers for them at your destination.

The problem is not the customers, why do they think it is the customers fault? The customers do not set the meter fair, the customers do not create the traffic issues and to be honest the customers are not responsible for the drivers financial problems.

What about the taxis drivers who simply refuse to put the fare on the meter even when traffic is not an issue? Why do they have the right to double and triple the standard taxi rate and ignore the meter completely?

Bangkok like all big cities needs a taxi service. The taxi service is very important for the economy enabling tourists and locals to get around. Taxi drivers should have a meter rate that is fair and reflects a reasonable standard of living,,, I understand that is being addressed and the standard fair is increasing but it still won't be double or triple the existing rate so what will change?

London taxis are not permitted to refuse a fair, if they do this they can lose their taxi license,, but the fair rate is higher then bangkok so I suspect it is a better lifestyle in the UK.

At least it is possible to find a taxi that will use the meter in BK. In Chiang Mai it is impossible to get them to use the meter. Locals and expats that don't drive mainly use black smoke spewing songthaews for reasonably priced transport, adding to the already lovely air quality here.

• Like 1

I prefer taxis for public transport. I haven't been on a bus in Bangkok since I was chasing a ticket taker back in the sixties. However, I rarely have trouble with taxis because I rarely try to get one in front of tourist traps, hotels, etc., but if you have to, you have to. I flag a cab, get in, and then tell him where I want to go. Usually they use the meter, if you say so; when they don't, I'll negotiate a price with a little joking back and forth; never a big deal, they will always negotiate, especially when you know the fare. If you are still unsatisfied, get out and repeat the cycle; remember, usually they use the meter.

TAT can run as many fancy campaigns as they want, but as long as the service-providers don't get the meaning of customer-service (preferably with a smile), it is a waste of time and money!!

And as per usual everything are blamed on the customers,visitors or victims!!=Thainess.

It is very very difficult - almost impossible - to find a Thai that takes responsibility for (practically) anything. Great Culture.

Meters should be calibrated to measure time and distance. So if Thailand's taxi meters are only measuring distance, I've got to agree with the cabbie's concerns. But their gripe should be lodged with the government agency that regulated taxis. If the metering scheme is unfair, lobby the government to change it. Don't get all bent out of shape at the customers.

Thai taxi meters ARE calibrated to measure time and distance. These details are displayed in front of you in most taxis.

But the fares, particularly the starting fares or flagfall, are too cheap. I can't for the life of me understand why flagfall hasn't increased from 35 Baht to at least 50 Baht, with 50% extra charged at night for fares between say 10pm and 5am?

And then is it only after the first km that fares start increasing? It used to be after 2km, another world record low and very unfair for the drivers.

Every other country in the world has seen taxi fare rises over the years, why not Thailand?

No wonder taxi drivers here are so frustrated, many of them refuse to use the meter or refuse the destination. Isn't it obvious? You can't make a living if you have to deal with such extremely low fares. If taxi fares were more reasonable, there would be less need for the drivers to cheat. There would probably also be fewer fare refusals.

A lot of this is obvious. Increase flagfall to 50 Baht, 60-75 minimum for nighttime fares. Also the fares should rise faster than they currently do - and even then taxi fares wouldn't be all that much more expensive than they are now.

If the taxi is not for hire switch off your empty light easy no need to refuse anyone if driver is late for returning his cab back to the hire company just switch off the red light and get the cab back no big deal but don't drive with it on as people will think it is an empty taxi looking for a fare.

• Like 1

But the fares, particularly the starting fares or flagfall, are too cheap. I can't for the life of me understand why flagfall hasn't increased from 35 Baht to at least 50 Baht, with 50% extra charged at night for fares between say 10pm and 5am?

And then is it only after the first km that fares start increasing? It used to be after 2km, another world record low and very unfair for the drivers.

Every other country in the world has seen taxi fare rises over the years, why not Thailand?

No wonder taxi drivers here are so frustrated, many of them refuse to use the meter or refuse the destination. Isn't it obvious? You can't make a living if you have to deal with such extremely low fares. If taxi fares were more reasonable, there would be less need for the drivers to cheat. There would probably also be fewer fare refusals.

A lot of this is obvious. Increase flagfall to 50 Baht, 60-75 minimum for nighttime fares. Also the fares should rise faster than they currently do - and even then taxi fares wouldn't be all that much more expensive than they are now.

Here's what is should be currently being charged.

There are 150,000 taxis in Bangkok. All taxis are metered with the starting fee of 35 Baht for the first 3 kilometers and then 5 Baht per Kilometer. There are many taxi companies and various coloured taxis but costs and fares are the same.

All Bangkok taxis must turn on their meters. It is illegal not to, but many drivers will try to bargain a flat fee if it is late at night or the weather is very bad and everyone wants one.
In general they are safe but some drivers tend to drive too fast so you should let ask them to slow down, which they will usually do albeit with a grin or a chuckle.

I'm completely fine with a driver who doesn't want to take me. It doesn't make me happy, but OK I understand. Of course not wanting to go is far different from trying to go for a price off the meter. That's just assholish.

However, although I know the rude way so many reject the fare has it's roots in Thai culture it still bugs the hell out of me. I don't think their rudeness really bothers the Thais that much. They don't put so much emphasis on our ideas about social pleasantries between strangers.

Edited by ricklev

Coming from London where it costs a tenner just to get to the end of the street, I'm baffled when people complain about the fares in Bangkok!

I usually end up giving them a bigger tip than the fare as I don't want the hassle of small notes/coins !

Thank you to give them ridiculous bad habits.

• Like 1

There are many reasons why the driver will reject your request for his service, primary among them is he does not know or understand where you want to go. I have even shown them on a map and guess they were not Boy Scouts because they can read a map.

Honestly taxis are cheap in BKK, try NYC, Tokyo or Washington D.C.

I once drove taxis part time in Miami and learned several short fast trips pay more than the great ride to the airport.

I understand some drivers rent the taxi for 600THB, but do not know how long that is for.

Lastly I never pay less than 100THB and most times 100THB about the fare.