Thai constitution drafters look to German model of elections

webfact

Constitution Drafters Look to German Model of Elections
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — The junta-appointed committee tasked with drafting Thailand’s 19th constitution is considering adopting the German model of elections, officials say.

A subcommittee of the Constitutional Drafting Committee (CDC) discussed the electoral models of several different countries over the weekend, but the majority of the group’s members preferred the German model, said CDC member Anek Laothamthat.

Thailand’s military junta appointed the CDC to replace the constitution that was dissolved shortly after the 22 May coup, which was spurred by escalating tension between rival protest groups over the country’s electoral politics.

Under Germany’s proportional representation system, the number of representatives from a political party elected to parliament is based solely on the percentage of votes the party receives in the election.

In contrast, the model used Thailand’s 2007 charter enables MPs to be elected through both the first-past-the-post constituency system, and the proportional representation party list system.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1417428556

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-12-01

• Like 2

This method would be attractive to this biased reform body because, given the same results as the 2011 election, PTP would end up with about 10% fewer seats, and the Democrats with about 10% more.

But I'm sure this esteemed council did not take this into account, and are looking at this system based on its merits only!!!!

• Like 2

Anything that gets rid of or modifies the dreaded party list is a start.

It is basically a get into parliament or get out of jail free card.

This maintains and could actually strengthen the party list. Just good old fashioned gerrymandering is driving this change.

• Like 1

According to a ruling of the German Constitution Court the Voting Law in Germany is AGAINST the [so called] Constitution [Grundgesetz] !

All elections in Germany since the late 1950s are as such illegal !!!

Germany is surely NOT an example of how to do things [unless you want to be a US colonie what Germany or better the BRD GmbH is !]

Prove me wrong before making any of this funny !

Germany is the prototype of a State-Corporation with private ownership !

This method would be attractive to this biased reform body because, given the same results as the 2011 election, PTP would end up with about 10% fewer seats, and the Democrats with about 10% more.

But I'm sure this esteemed council did not take this into account, and are looking at this system based on its merits only!!!!

Even if you are right, which I don't doubt,PTP would still have won by a landslide.

Adjusted for your +- 10%: PTP 240 seats, Democrats 175 seats.

So I think the council will have to look to other countries to achieve the dreamresult!!

May I suggest Zimbabwe or North Korea!!

• Like 2

hmmm, and the PTP won 21% more seats than the Dems....

may not be enough by itself to assure Abhisit and co. of a winning margin.

CDC: keep working on it. Still about 10% more to go....

Even if you are right, which I don't doubt,PTP would still have won by a landslide.

So I think the council will have to look to other countries to achieve the dreamresult!!

I see what you mean there - I assumed 10% movement of total seats based on percent of seats won which was 53% to 32%...

According to a ruling of the German Constitution Court the Voting Law in Germany is AGAINST the [so called] Constitution [Grundgesetz] !

All elections in Germany since the late 1950s are as such illegal !!!

Germany is surely NOT an example of how to do things [unless you want to be a US colonie what Germany or better the BRD GmbH is !]

Prove me wrong before making any of this funny !

Germany is the prototype of a State-Corporation with private ownership !

:facepalm:

• Like 2

Under Germany’s proportional representation system, the number of representatives from a political party elected to parliament is based solely on the percentage of votes the party receives in the election.

so how does this jive with MPs not needing to be part of a party?

"Under Germany’s proportional representation system, the number of representatives from a political party elected to parliament is based solely on the percentage of votes the party receives in the election"

Ah, proportional representation, sometimes refered to as "the evil of two lessers".

Edited by PREM-R

You have included the constituency seats. It would be much closer with only proportional voting

in 2011- 48% to 35%.

Not that bad. Thailand should also implement the minimum 5% hurdle that is needed to move into Parliament.

Chartthaipattana 4.6%
Chart Pattana Puea Pandin 4.0%
Phalang Chon 0.9%

and Chuvit would be out too.

If this would have happended in 2011, the results would be as following:

Pheu Thai 44.3%
Democrat 32.3%
Bhumjaithai 11.3%

I think the 5% hurdle is very good and could give some check and balances on the long-term.

• Like 1

I see nobody really know the german election system

you hav edirect candidates in each voting districts, and you have represantive of the parties who are on a voting list, and as much % a partie gets all over germany as many friom this list will go to the parlament. So in theorie if you have the most % of voters but you not have any direct candidate you not have most peopel in parlament. Also it depends how many parties come into the parlament and how many % not count (parties under 5%)

But the system of election is not important, much more important that the law is good and also that police and prosecutors enforce the good law.

so that there is a independent controll everywhere in the country + a indepentant press who can investigate without fear.

And this is missing in Thailand so never ever will something change how long you have this strange laws about majestic difamation or computer criminal act or diffamation law. This laws are laws to to suppress population and the press!

• Like 1

why does thailand need to reinvent the wheel, perhaps it would do much good by following the law for once. The constitution is pretty standard and works, its just that no politicians wants to enforce the laws written, no police / judge wants to punish these people who swore by it. Hence the problem is not with these election system, its simply law enforcement.

"Germany is the prototype of a State-Corporation with private ownership"

Prototype?

Can you name one example of a country anywhere in the world where the Rich (Corporations) do not control the government?

Germany in itself is a Corporation !

why does thailand need to reinvent the wheel, perhaps it would do much good by following the law for once. The constitution is pretty standard and works, its just that no politicians wants to enforce the laws written, no police / judge wants to punish these people who swore by it. Hence the problem is not with these election system, its simply law enforcement.

I agree with you. Thailand keep tinkering with the constitution for umpteen years and this will not be the last. Keep the 1997 constitution and allow the electoral process to decide on the people' s mandate for both houses. Only through a election process will the chosen parties gets elected while the weak will have to work harder and win the next election. That's is meritocracy in motion. Strengthen the judiciary system and the corruption agencies so they can be just and not bowed to political interference. These institutions have been the sources of most past problems whether it's enforcing the law or idioscrantic interpretation of the law, not so much the colour divide.