Retirement extension refused

Went to Phuket immigration for my 3rd year extension based on having 800,000 Baht in Thai bank, unfortunately i was refused as I had a funds account rather than a deposit account. I never had a problem last year with the same account but this year it was an absolute NO NO.

So now my plan is to fly to KL on Thursday and return on Friday get 30 day visa on arrival, go back to immigration convert to 60 day non o for retirement, put money into deposit account for the 2 months before applying for 12 months extension of stay.

Does this sound like a plan or have I overlooked something?

Comments appreciated

• Like 2

You should go to Penang to get a single entry non-o visa. Take you bank book (plus copy for application) with you to show you have the funds.

Phuket can no longer do a conversion to a non immigrant visa. Your only choice within the country would be Hat Yai or Bangkok to it. It would likely take 2 trips to get the visa.

Thank you for your replies they have been most useful, I will now go to Penang for non o visa.

In future I will be more careful with the bank and make sure it is a deposit account, last year phuket immigration excepted my bank letter and book!!

Once again thank you all for replies.

• Like 1

The money can also be in a fixed deposit account.

Mine is in a fixed term deposit, just over a million THB, getting approx. 3%, I have used this money in this account for the past 4-5 years to satisfy Pattaya immigration.

• Like 1

tertim: before flying away and getting another visa I'd go talk with a visa agent. Those people have established connections with the various immigration offices they deal with daily and can usually find work-arounds. No harm in going to talk with one.

whistling.gif What kind of account did you have?

It used to be (maybe no longer true) that you could have a term deposit account with the stipulation that you must be able to withdraw your money on demand WITHOUT a required term notice to withdraw those funds.

In other words, those accounts which required a specific period of notice before you could withdraw your funds were not allowed.

Otherwise, except for this stipulation, a fixed term account used to be allowed.

tertim: before flying away and getting another visa I'd go talk with a visa agent. Those people have established connections with the various immigration offices they deal with daily and can usually find work-arounds. No harm in going to talk with one.

Yes I tried that and they wanted 30,000 Baht to do it in Bangkok, thanks for the heads up though.

whistling.gif What kind of account did you have?

It used to be (maybe no longer true) that you could have a term deposit account with the stipulation that you must be able to withdraw your money on demand WITHOUT a required term notice to withdraw those funds.

In other words, those accounts which required a specific period of notice before you could withdraw your funds were not allowed.

Otherwise, except for this stipulation, a fixed term account used to be allowed.

My account is a funds account, which is a stock market based investment for 1 year paying 3% (known as unit trusts in UK) When I opened the account I thought it was a fixed term deposit account, had the normal SCB bank book just as my savings account book.

Just been informed by the bank that no withdrawals are allowed and no closure.

Now i am having to bring in another 800,000 Baht to satisfy my Non o Visa, booked flight to Penang for Monday 8th December.

Maybe its for some geopolitical reasons and from a perspective that we are not privy to, but I think its becoming increasingly clear that they don't want us here.

From one side of their mouth they attempt to talk up tourism, visitors and investment. But from the other side and in every possible way, authorities make the place more difficult and less attractive.

They will ultimately succeed. They have guns.

Maybe its for some geopolitical reasons and from a perspective that we are not privy to, but I think its becoming increasingly clear that they don't want us here.

From one side of their mouth they attempt to talk up tourism, visitors and investment. But from the other side and in every possible way, authorities make the place more difficult and less attractive.

What rubbish are you talking.

If you read carefully the rules, ask many questions on Thai Visa and take note, particularly of Ubonjoe you WILL get the correct information and you WILL get the right visa and you WILL have NO problems.

Now if you know something different and can back it up with links and proof then please do so.

If you cannot, will not, or have NO proof of what you say, NO links to anything except what YOU think is the truth, then please refrain from posting rumours and rubbish as that makes you a troll.

• Like 1

What is your proof of such nonsense, the OP had his money in the wrong type of account, I think if they didn't want us here it would be easy to accomplish just by announcing no more retirement visas issued. People have came and went trumpeting such nonsense for years and people keep on coming.

As others said: "Fixed Deposit Account" (as Bangkok Bank and SCB name it), served me well for the last two extensions in Khon Kaen.

These accounts earn some interest (currently around 3%) if you don't touch it for an agreed period of time.

But the whole deposit can be withdrawn if needed (loosing all or part of the interest).

If the fixed period ends during the three months before applying for extension:

simply don't touch it (at least not letting it fall below 800k).

Don't close it, don't move the money.

It continues as normal savings account.

After extension is granted: do whatever you want with the account/money.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have just recieved my first OA extension and was told by the I/O that they prefered the money in a fixed rate account. IE my orange savings book with Bangkok Bank.
The reasoning was if it was in my normal account i could withdraw my money straight away.
I supose there is some logic

The money can also be in a fixed deposit account.

The money can also be in a fund account that has stated in it's terms that it can be withdrawn at any time without loss of initial funds.

I have years ago used such one from Kasikorn which invested in a Korean bonds, and would give a fixed return on expiry date, but could be withdrawn at any time before with only loss of the interest.