Things that can bite me in Thailand

Kenny202

Just wondering if there are any particularly bad nasties here? Seen plenty of scorpions which I believe are

fond of living in underwear although I believe these aren't any worse than a bee sting. Killed a nasty looking

spider last night. Are the centipedes a problem? Living in Chaiyaphum province

I totally forget where it came from, probably some old nature doc, but I heard centipedes are some of the most aggressive and ferocious creatures on the face of the planet and it's only due to their size that they aren't considered as dangerous some big cats or crocodiles etc.

Anyway, the centipedes and scorpions in Thailand can put you in hospital without you needing to have a natural allergy to them.

Also, watch out for some of the ants, snakes and spiders. There's almost certainly nasties in the khlongs as well.

Never seen a scorpion here and centipedes and millipedes aren't going to bite you unless severely provoked. Snakes are fine just leave them be and I've never heard of a serious spider bite here.

Rats are probably the worst animal carrying all sorts of diseases together with mosquitos and the little know assassin bug which can be dangerous for children. It always leaves two bite marks and bites you when you are sleeping.

I got bitten by a centipede while in Samui and i've never felt pain like it, it felt like someone was stubbing out 2 cigars on my ankle and lasted around 8 hours, real burning sensation and the wound took around 5 months to heal, nasty little critters id stay well away from these.

way worse then a bee sting

• Like 2

Big black scorpions will hurt like a bee sting. The big red ants attack in groups and hurt, they are normally found around mango trees but can be in any kind of fruit tree. There is a similar ant here to the fire ant and that really does sting alot. They are red with a dark abdomen. The worst are the centipedes, do not let these suckers ( I mean it ) near you. They are the worst!

Scorpions are nasty, but not deadly, Cobras are deadly but not common. Rat snakes are harmless but common. Most spiders are harmless evenif scary looking. Yes centipedes are nasty and painful. crocodiles are usually in pens and will eat anything thrown at them. Tigers are in zoos. Elephants do occasionally trash a car and trample people, but are to be respected. Most dangerous creatures by far - mosquitoes for dengue fever and malaria, and other people for rip offs, scams, and anything else. Otherwise Thailand is a great place to live.

I totally forget where it came from, probably some old nature doc, but I heard centipedes are some of the most aggressive and ferocious creatures on the face of the planet and it's only due to their size that they aren't considered as dangerous some big cats or crocodiles etc.

Anyway, the centipedes and scorpions in Thailand can put you in hospital without you needing to have a natural allergy to them.

Also, watch out for some of the ants, snakes and spiders. There's almost certainly nasties in the khlongs as well.

Centipedes like to head for high ground and they can see people as high ground. They will try to make a dash up a persons leg. I was once told, although luckily have never been in a situation where this has been put to the test, that when the big centipedes strike, they actually detach some of their legs and deeply embed them into the flesh that are extremely difficult to pull out.

The worst insect bites I have experienced in Thailand are those from those minute sized red ants that pack a powerful sting. I would guess that having been stung by a multitude of these ants could easily create a massive allergic reaction and kill a person. Also some of the wasps can be highly dangerous and have the potential to be fatal.

I live in the sticks from time to time. Just take care when standing,siting.always shake cloths before. Putting them on. As for snakes.i have been within inches of most snakes, by accident, just stay still don't panic, they will go away, as I have said before 99% of snake bites are from accidental contact.

Edited by Thongkorn

Cobras are common around my village, had a dog bitten by one in my garden last year, died within 30 minutes. Our dogs bark the alarm and usually keep their distance, but this kind of cobra do attack, unfortunately. I brushed the snake out of our property, did not realise he bit one of our dogs, should have killed him.

Big black scorpions will hurt like a bee sting. The big red ants attack in groups and hurt, they are normally found around mango trees but can be in any kind of fruit tree. There is a similar ant here to the fire ant and that really does sting alot. They are red with a dark abdomen. The worst are the centipedes, do not let these suckers ( I mean it ) near you. They are the worst!

The little red ants are those the ones that make your whole foot burn? :-(

Not nice but goes away after an hour or so

ladyboys, mate, they will bite youw00t.gif as will many thai "ladies". These can be a lot worse than snakes, centipedes, scorpions and ants and do not go away after applying the right lotion or anti-veninewhistling.gif .

Edited by seajae

Scorpions are nasty, but not deadly, Cobras are deadly but not common. Rat snakes are harmless but common. Most spiders are harmless evenif scary looking. Yes centipedes are nasty and painful. crocodiles are usually in pens and will eat anything thrown at them. Tigers are in zoos. Elephants do occasionally trash a car and trample people, but are to be respected. Most dangerous creatures by far - mosquitoes for dengue fever and malaria, and other people for rip offs, scams, and anything else. Otherwise Thailand is a great place to live.

Cobras are deadly but not common.

This must be area specific Tim.

I see more cobras in my area than any other kind of snake.

I have had to kill ore than a couple over the years.

Cobras are deadly but not common.

This must be area specific Tim.

I see more cobras in my area than any other kind of snake.

I have had to kill ore than a couple over the years.

It maybe area specific. I haven't seen one in ten years near Nakhon Sawan.

I had a little snake slither into the dam and head straight for me today. Little green stripy thing.

I splashed some water at it and it went the other way. Jesus they're fast! Was planing like a little

speed boat