Thai public to be asked whether they want death penalty or not

webfact

Public to be asked whether they want death penalty or not

12-3-2014-10-47-50-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Public opinions will be sought to find out whether the public want death penalty to be retained or scrapped, said General Lertrat Rattanavanich, spokesman of the Constitution Drafting Committee, on Wednesday.

He disclosed that death penalty was discussed at a meeting of a subcommittee of the CDC and the majority of them wanted the death penalty to be scrapped. However, he said that the majority of the CDC wanted the capital punishment to be retained because there are many serious offences such as rape and drug traffic which justified for capital punishment.

As the issue remains inconclusive, he said CDC chairman BovornsakUwanno instructed MrsThawilvadeeBureekul who is in charge of public opinions to stage public hearings to allow people to share their views on death penalty whether it should be retained or scrapped altogether.

Regarding judicial reform, the CDC is of the opinion that most court cases should end at the Appeals Court and if a case is to be appealed to the Supreme Court it has to include a special complaint. This proposed change is meant to reduce the number of cases to the Supreme Court.

Regarding the Constitutional Court, the makeup of the court should be adjusted to allow experts in public law and constitutional law to become Constitutional Court judges instead of judges from the Supreme Court or Administrative Court.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/public-asked-whether-want-death-penalty-not

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-04

Thailand wants to get a life , (no pun intended), the media should do some research , check over the past twenty years and see how many have been falsely charged and those doing time for offences they say never committed and might not have, to take the word of a RTP officer ( unless the case is cut and dried) , who has had to do the investigative process , I would doubt very much , especially if there are any young Burmese males in the area, and answering the question, with the death penalty if you are wrong years later and in mitigation you could be, what do you do then. bah.gif

• Like 1

Public to be asked whether they want death penalty or not

Now does this banner headline indicate that those in power are seeking to see if the population of Thailand at large should be or actually desire that they be executed ?w00t.gif

Or should it read., ''The public to be asked if they wish the death penalty to be enforced on convicted criminals where death is a sentence option ?sad.png

Why do people here try to show their "superior" knowledge of English by making inane points like this. Newspapers all over the world have attention grabbing headines like this, and I think all educated native speakers would interpret it the way intended.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What is happening to this country?

Progress, old timer, progress...

I don't know if you'd call it progress. It's a shame though. Could be such a wonderful country. It's the combination of fascist tendencies, greed and the inability to think one's way out of a wet paper bag which is the worry. As for asking the public their opinion.... most of them are heavily indoctrinated so I wouldn't expect too many gems of thought, but what's the alternative, rely on the genius of the leaders?

The government murdering people and the public actively encouraging that shows that we haven't really moved on from the middle ages. Instead of the guillotine we are using the lethal injection. I think the prison system in the Scandinavian countries top the lot. But even the UK is a long way off that so Thailand is decades behind further...

Also I'm no expert in Buddhism but I can't really imagine condoning something like the death penalty is in their scriptures or general beliefs....

• Like 2

Capital punishment is used to deter crime of a serious nature. So from historical data, how has it affected rates of such crime in Thailand? Does it work?

As a deterrent?

No, doesn't work at all.

Anywhere.

As vengeance? Well, yes, in that it certainly appeases the eye for an eye crowd.

As justice? Well, now, that's a much trickier question.

For me, murder, by state or individual, in the name of justice or a cause, can never be justified.

• Like 2

A law that is not enforced should never become a law. It is a vast waste of resources. A law that is enforced selectively should never have been a law. It a vast travesty.

"Regarding the Constitutional Court, the makeup of the court should be adjusted to allow experts in public law and constitutional law to become Constitutional Court judges"

blink.png

Ya think?

"However, he said that the majority of the CDC wanted the capital punishment to be retained because there are many serious offences such as rape and drug traffic which justified for capital punishment."

It is a shame : likely the same people who are muttering the first precept every now and then .
One may recall the extrajudicial killing of drug dealers .According to a survey conducted by Suan Dusit College between March 29 and April 5, 2003, 75 percent of Thai people in all seventy-six provinces throughout the country fully supported Thaksin’s hard line stand on the drug war, and 12 percent were particularly satisfied that drug dealers had been killed by law enforcement officials.