Showing Income for Retirement Visa

In September when my 90 days expired, Immigration at Lopburi told me if I wanted to stay here, I should put 800K in the bank immediately, so that by the time my next 90 days run out, I will be able to show that I have the funds there for 3 months. I also needed to leave and get an O visa. I did that. I had not planned to apply for Social Security but I figured that since I am eligible, I might as well apply and I would rather show them that I will have funds coming to be monthly (enough to let me live in high style).

The first payment was received December 3. My question is this: Can I show them the letter from the SS office showing that I will be collecting SS? Can I get that notarized at the embassy and that will suffice? Or, do I need to show the passbook and letter from the bank confirming the balance? I would rather not show the passbook because I would like to send that $$ back to the US, since my SS is more than enough for my day to day needs. And if I do have to show the passbook and bank letter, when can I switch over to show that I am receiving monthly funds?

I am going to see them in about a week. Any info would be much appreciated.

If you have 65k per month income you go to Embassy to fill out letter/form (or download and fill out in advance) and pay the $50 (or baht) to have your signature notarized in presence of American Consular Officer (making it an official federal document). You then take that with you to immigration for extension of stay financial proof (but also take your SS statement in case further proof asked). If amount is below 65k per month you also have option to use both Embassy letter and bank account to meet the 800k yearly requirement. There is no requirement to spend 800k regardless of which method you use. You need to make reservation at Embassy now. Do that online. You have until last day permitted on current entry to visit immigration.

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.

Actually, I have most of the funds from SS and another $445 + $291 from two other small pensions for a total that exceeds the 65K. I don't have anything official for those two except to print about three consecutive bank statements showing that the funds are deposited each month. Would that suffice as backup, just in case I am asked?

And would I need to have them notarized as well? At $50 each, that gets pretty pricey. (Back home it is $3.) :-)

I already contacted my landlady for back and front copy of her ID and proof that the condo is registered in her name. Immigration also told me to make sure I have that, plus the lease.

Bangkok immigration does not ask for back up proof.

The bank statement would be accepted if it was needed. The only notary the embassy could do would be a certified copy.

All you need from the embassy is their stamp on the income affidavit.

You fill in the total amount in USD on the form. You add up the SSA + the other pensions and enter it in USD. The embassy will notarize the statement. There will only be one statement that contains the total amount. Immigration will do the USD to baht conversion on the day that you apply and will want the original copy of the "Income Affidavit".

You can download and fill out this form provided by the US embassy on which you would state your total monthly income from SS and all other sources as one combined amount.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/income_affidavit_template.pdf

Then you make an appointment with the embassy ( or go to one of their outreach visits).

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

Wait to sign the form in front of the consular officer and it will be signed by him/her and have a raised seal applied. One form covers your total income. The embassy does not require proof. You are signing a document, which you are claiming is a true statement and claiming the same when you submit it to Immigrations. As others have said, it's a good idea to bring along back-up proof to show where the amount you claimed comes from, but it is not a requirement ... unless the immigration officer decides he wants some proof.

The embassy affidavit should be no more than six months old when you present it to Immigrations. You give them the original, not a photocopy.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Most likely you getting 1,600 from SS or about 51,000 baht make sure you have more than needed to cover balance. That would be about an extra 14,000 baht I did rough guess. I don't even use my SS in my statement my pension more than covers mine.

No, I get $2,242.90 monthly and since I have a marriage visa this is more than I need (would even cover the retirement visa).

I just had it when there is no blasted logic behind an action.

Then, you ought to be able to afford the $50 annually.

You do not get the point. Yes I can afford to burn $50 but why? Are you so rich you can just throw away money on rules that have no logic?

It is not the money it is the lack of logic in the process. You must get a letter that proves nothing and then when you have that worthless letter you must prove what it says.

For an advanced member you fail to apply logic in your writing of wisdom for all to read and follow.

• Like 1

I on an extention based on marrage. My pension fully covers what it required . I went to the embassy and got the affidavit the first year I extended , thats all I brought. Second year same thing. This time they want the letter and also proof . She was nice did all the paper work told me to nring it back by the end of the day which I did . I asked ok now I show proof from my pension company can I skip the affidavit . Was told no need both, so every year I bring both. This last week I went in again, different lady working. She lookes over all my documemts then goes ober to the lady that does the retirement visas shows her my papers , comes back and asks me where is my other proof of income . It was in the file but she didnt see it . All was ok I was out in 30 minutesn, this was in Chiang mai as well . I jear from others on retirement visas they are only showing the letter from the embassy and having no issues.

What a waste of time and money and emotions and energy. I will not even start on my thought of having to pay my government $50 for a notary signature. Somebody over a glass of gin decided that the US can make $50 every year off of each of us and the Thai economy will grow as we run all over spending our time and money getting meaningless documents.

You should complain to your Gov.t because that "someone" is American.

Other countries charge little or nothing for affidavits.

Yeah, but Nancy the 800k baht, if left in USA invested in say, QQQ, over the course of a few years would be way advanced compared to Bangkok bank interest rates. Esp since there is NO requirement to have that sum invested in Thailand, unless your monthly income does not get to 65k.

Did you know Nancy L calling me a clown is rather personal. I have my views about a system that is broken. Why should I need to be in line at 3 AM to get a number. Why should people like you make rude comments about me. I do follow the rules and I do get the paper work required because I have no choice but I do not have to do it without comment. World War II was started over a country of people that followed a bad ruler.

I personally do not understand your mentality of making a perfectly logical sequence of messages into a pissing contest.

Yes, there are so many visa's processed - why? Because of rules that have no logical base. Yes I took time to process my visa because I did exactly what the immigration officer said the year before. The following year that message was no longer valid. Logic?

I wonder who the clown is? The follower who just goes with the crowd or the person who ask why do we do this, the process is broken?

And as far as making a complaint to my government when no other governments charge $50: the USA government is also broken with Obama heading the way into disaster.

The only thing I know for sure is the Almighty Master of Creation is crying over what He created and man broke.

I wonder who the clown is? The follower who just goes with the crowd or the person who ask why do we do this, the process is broken?

The process is not broken, but your judgment is wrong.

First of all, you're being given the privilege of staying in a foreign country, for an indefinite length of time, with just the requirements of being over 50 and having savings equivalent to maybe 6-10 months of average "westerner" income. Try that in your country.

Second, you are only asked for a sworn statement from the representation of your country, obtainable by mail, with no translation and no legalization needed. Again, try that in your country.

Yet that doesn't matter to you, and you feel enough self-entitled to just whine about it.

And as far as making a complaint to my government when no other governments charge $50: the USA government is also broken with Obama heading the way into disaster.

The only thing I know for sure is the Almighty Master of Creation is crying over what He created and man broke.

I think we can close on these statements of omniscience, that tells a lot about the balance of your opinions..

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

At the USA BKK Embassy, arrive at appointment time, fill out the form you get there, or online previously, pay $50USD, and swear before a Notary on staff there that your monthly income exceeds the Thailand required amount, and your form will be signed, notarized, and embossed. Take that paper with you to immigration. As a USA citizen, I had no questions asked at immigration, altho I got several nasty comments from thaivisa typists when I reported these facts earlier here.

What a waste of time and money and emotions and energy. I will not even start on my thought of having to pay my government $50 for a notary signature. Somebody over a glass of gin decided that the US can make $50 every year off of each of us and the Thai economy will grow as we run all over spending our time and money getting meaningless documents.

You should complain to your Gov.t because that "someone" is American.

Other countries charge little or nothing for affidavits.

UK Embassy charge an arm and a leg for a letter AND you have to go to BKK to get it.

FYI, it's my understanding the U.K. Consulate/Embassy charges something along the same lines as the U.S. Consulate/Embassy AND they make their citizens jump thru hoops to "prove" their income via documentary evidence, which would probably cause individuals like Mr. Pig Farmer to scream about invasion of privacy.

Mr. Pig Farmer, I think I'm able to "call you names" as you put it ("clown" is a rather mild "name") because you're slowing down the process for those of us who are waiting in line behind you; those of us who are willing to play by the rules; those of us who realize we're guests here and while the rules may not make sense, we've made a point to understand the requirements and fulfill them without comment or making a scene.

You're entitled to your opinions, Mr. Pig Farmer, but you're not entitled to slow down the process at Chiang Mai Immigration. That's what I object to.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

if you meet the requirements of an extension (retire or marriage) immigration will convert whatever visa you have to a non imm O. Has this change as the OP said he was told to leave the country to get one

So, one tells you this and we follow that rule and then the next tells us that and we follow that rules. Each rule is followed.

Help me, where is the complication coming from?

Once again, logic? (or lack there of)

I am certain that no-one ever told you that you would not need an income letter from the embassy. You were told that you needed supplementary evidence of your income, and without asking or doing any investigating you then decided that you would no longer need the embassy letter. Well, you were wrong, which you would have known had you asked or checked here on ThaiVisa beforehand where it has been mentioned literally thousands of times that the embassy letter is always (without exception) needed when qualifying based on income from abroad.

Sophon

• Like 1

If you are a American, the US Embassy basically have a agreement that proof is not necessary! You make a appointment ( OK, bring your proof with you if you like ) Once inside just grab a form and fill it out with the amount you are getting? just add it up? go to the cashier pay the required amount and once paid turn take a step or two to the right and give everything to the clerk and then take a seat back in the front. In about 10 minutes they will call your name the clerk will say a few words if everything is correct, if so, put the seal and you are gone!

How you use it is up to you? If your source of income is greater than 65,000 per month then you do not need the 800,000 in the bank. 800,000 baht is your set goal, if you want to use the 800,000 in the bank then you do not need to get the income letter from Embassy. You can also use a combination together to reach the goal of 800,000. The last two years I've given them just income letter. I have also the letter from the Bank. It cost me 100 baht... I get it just in case because each office and each person in charge you just never know! Doing this I never had a problem?