Showing Income for Retirement Visa

Did you know Nancy L calling me a clown is rather personal. I have my views about a system that is broken. Why should I need to be in line at 3 AM to get a number. Why should people like you make rude comments about me. I do follow the rules and I do get the paper work required because I have no choice but I do not have to do it without comment. World War II was started over a country of people that followed a bad ruler.

I personally do not understand your mentality of making a perfectly logical sequence of messages into a pissing contest.

Yes, there are so many visa's processed - why? Because of rules that have no logical base. Yes I took time to process my visa because I did exactly what the immigration officer said the year before. The following year that message was no longer valid. Logic?

I wonder who the clown is? The follower who just goes with the crowd or the person who ask why do we do this, the process is broken?

And as far as making a complaint to my government when no other governments charge $50: the USA government is also broken with Obama heading the way into disaster.

The only thing I know for sure is the Almighty Master of Creation is crying over what He created and man broke.

I understand your frustration with the lack of logic on requiring a notarized letter which they do not totally trust. However, at your age (since you are on a retirement visa) - you must/should have learned that you need to have patience and kindness when dealing with governmental requlations.

While I do understand your frustration - I do hope that as I age - I do so with less hostility than you. The years in retirement should be filled with laughter and joy -

Also, the $50 U.S. notarary fee was in place long before Obama - you and I continue to see the world different - I am so grateful that Obama was elected (twice) and while he isn't perfect - he has been so much better for the world and the U.S. than either McCain or Romney -

relax and enjoy your golden years.

• Like 1

Pulpeddoes, on 07 Dec 2014 - 12:38, said:

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.

Actually, I have most of the funds from SS and another $445 + $291 from two other small pensions for a total that exceeds the 65K. I don't have anything official for those two except to print about three consecutive bank statements showing that the funds are deposited each month. Would that suffice as backup, just in case I am asked?

And would I need to have them notarized as well? At $50 each, that gets pretty pricey. (Back home it is $3.) :-)

I already contacted my landlady for back and front copy of her ID and proof that the condo is registered in her name. Immigration also told me to make sure I have that, plus the lease.

As proof of residence you'll copies of your landlords ID card, Tabian Ban and it would be a good idea to take your Rental Agreement in case it's asked for.

Your landlord should sign the copies of his ID card and Tabian Ban, including telephone number.

Thanks again to everyone. I have my printed appointment in hand, printed and completed, unsigned form, and backup evidence of monthly income just in case. I am going to the embassy tomorrow, at 9AM. I have been there before so I know the process there....

I plan to go to Immigration on Monday with my notarized form, back up evidence just in case (will not show if not asked). I also have the landlord info and ID and condo info including copy of lease and signed rent receipt.

Questions:

1) Is the BKK Immigration Office one of those where you need to go hours before to get in line?

2) Do I need photographs, and if yes, how many?

Thanks again.

Edited by Pulpeddoes

Thanks again to everyone. I have my printed appointment in hand, printed and completed, unsigned form, and backup evidence of monthly income just in case. I am going to the embassy tomorrow, at 9AM. I have been there before so I know the process there....

I plan to go to Immigration on Monday with my notarized form, back up evidence just in case (will not show if not asked). I also have the landlord info and ID and condo info including copy of lease and signed rent receipt.

Questions:

1) Is the BKK Immigration Office one of those where you need to go hours before to get in line?

2) Do I need photographs, and if yes, how many?

Thanks again.

1. There is no need to get there early to line up. But it is best to go there early in the day.

2. You will one 4cm X 6cm photo to attach to the TM7 application form.

Download and print two sided. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc or PDF http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf

You will need copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

ive done the ext of stay 9 times now always with income letter from counsulate,propaly should not say it,but ive always been treated with reasonable courtesy,and apart from once,within a reasonable time frame,i take additional prove of income residental,ect,but never been asked for anything????.some people seem to make a pig and a poke about it all.play by the rules they(immigration)will always win if u dont.

No, I get $2,242.90 monthly and since I have a marriage visa this is more than I need (would even cover the retirement visa).

I just had it when there is no blasted logic behind an action.

In that case, maybe Thailand wasn't the best choice of a place to live out your retirement in a state of bliss as it's not a place renowned for logical thinking.

Ok So I've downloaded the form to be completed for Immigration and I have a few simple questions.

1. My passport was issued in 2012 but it does not state where it was issued. It really does not (for those who might say, "look again!") Does anyone else have this and how does Immigration deal with it? I plan to leave it blank.

2. Port of Arrival: I am unclear what information they are looking for. My last port of arrival was BKK via Vientiane. Is that the info they are looking for?

4. "I am applying for an extension of temporary stay...for another period of ..." As a reminder, this is my first application for the retirement visa. Ideally I would like to enter 5 years; realistically, what is the correct info for this line?

Thanks again for your help.

Where issued? If it doesn't say google where passports are issued in your country. It may not be a place. It may be an agency. In my case it is the US dept. of state. I would not leave blank. It was issued somewhere.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

My 2006 USA passport and my wife's 2012 USA passport both say under Authority "United States Department of State".

I always put "USA Department of Sate" and it has never been questioned.

Just put the capital city of your country if it does say where it was issued.

The op is correct, new USA passports don't specify where they are issued, they say something like USA Passport Agency or something. ( The old ones, like when they actually issued them at the American embassy actually said "Bangkok."). Now, when asked where a passport was issued or the issuing authority on official documents or forms, just put "USA." I know is looks stupid saying that a United States passport was issued in the USA but we're dealing with government flunkies here so just make them happy and fill out their stupid questions on their in-numerous forms.

Example: On the Thai Arrival Card, it asks for the place of issue of one's passport...Americans with newer passports should put down "USA."

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

The op is correct, new USA passports don't specify where they are issued, they say something like USA Passport Agency or something. ( The old ones, like when they actually issued them at the American embassy actually said "Bangkok."). Now, when asked where a passport was issued or the issuing authority on official documents or forms, just put "USA." I know is looks stupid saying that a United States passport was issued in the USA but we're dealing with government flunkies here so just make them happy and fill out their stupid questions on their in-numerous forms.

Example: On the Thai Arrival Card, it asks for the place of issue of one's passport...Americans with newer passports should put down "USA."

It seem the OP's passport may not even have the issued by statement on it.

My old old passport said Caracas, the next one national passport agency and my newest one state department.

It seem the OP's passport may not even have the issued by statement on it.

My old old passport said Caracas, the next one national passport agency and my newest one state department.

Yep, so "USA" keeps it short and simple.

I went with the money (800,000Bt) in the bank route and they still jerked me around.

I deposited 900,000Bt. and got the banker to write a certificate. The certificate said 900,000Bt.

Then I withdrew 10,000Bt. for my usual expenses. My Bank Book now showed 890,000Bt.

Still 90,000Bt over the required amount.

But noooo...The Immigration Official saw the bank letter and the bank book didn't match exactly.

NO VISA!

I tried to explain I exceeded the required amount............The bonehead made me go back to the bank and get a letter that matched the bank book EXACTLY!

Now I just go with the US Embassy letter that requires ZERO proof.

Dumb.

• Like 1

So I went to Immigration today, and here is a summary of my experience.

I got held up and did not leave the house as early as had intended. I had planned to be there by 9:00 and did not arrive until 10:45. That, unfortunately, resulted in my getting a queue # 88, which was not called until just after 3:45. The officer was extremely pleasant and had no axe to grind, unlike Immigration in Lop Buri. I had all my paperwork completed and even backup support of my income, which she did not ask for. I also had evidence of ownership of the condo by my landlord and she said she did not need it. (Lop Buri told me to be sure I present it.) After I finished with her, a supervisor needed to check what she did, then the supervisor took the pp to another section for I guess more checking and ticking. After waiting about 12 minutes, I had to get into another queue for the Multiple Reentry Permit (MRP). Of course, this required a new set of copies of the pp and by this time it was almost 4:30, when their workday eds. So I had to race to the copier, a good total 400 yards both ways, and race back to the MRP queue to complete the MRP form. I randomly entered two departure dates next year, paid my THB 3,800. waited another 10 minutes for them to complete their paperwork and stamping, and was on my way.

Getting home was a whole other matter. Bangkok Immigration is inconveniently located and taxis stop running after 3pm. Occasionally one might come by every 20 minutes or so. People who know better take a motor bike taxi for THB 20 to the government offices where it is easier to get a taxi. I found this out the hard way after waiting with others over an hour for a taxi. This is just a heads up for anyone using the BKK Immigration office and it is the end of the day.

One final question. The officer said that in March, for my first time reporting, I should appear in person. Is this customary or mandatory? It was such a hassle getting there and getting back that if not absolutely necessary, I would prefer to do it by mail.

Thanks to everyone again for all your help. I now have a 12-month extension in hand and I can leave the country as many times as I can find the pennies to do so within the period!!

• Like 1

So I went to Immigration today, and here is a summary of my experience.

I got held up and did not leave the house as early as had intended. I had planned to be there by 9:00 and did not arrive until 10:45. That, unfortunately, resulted in my getting a queue # 88, which was not called until just after 3:45. The officer was extremely pleasant and had no axe to grind, unlike Immigration in Lop Buri. I had all my paperwork completed and even backup support of my income, which she did not ask for. I also had evidence of ownership of the condo by my landlord and she said she did not need it. (Lop Buri told me to be sure I present it.) After I finished with her, a supervisor needed to check what she did, then the supervisor took the pp to another section for I guess more checking and ticking. After waiting about 12 minutes, I had to get into another queue for the Multiple Reentry Permit (MRP). Of course, this required a new set of copies of the pp and by this time it was almost 4:30, when their workday eds. So I had to race to the copier, a good total 400 yards both ways, and race back to the MRP queue to complete the MRP form. I randomly entered two departure dates next year, paid my THB 3,800. waited another 10 minutes for them to complete their paperwork and stamping, and was on my way.

Getting home was a whole other matter. Bangkok Immigration is inconveniently located and taxis stop running after 3pm. Occasionally one might come by every 20 minutes or so. People who know better take a motor bike taxi for THB 20 to the government offices where it is easier to get a taxi. I found this out the hard way after waiting with others over an hour for a taxi. This is just a heads up for anyone using the BKK Immigration office and it is the end of the day.

One final question. The officer said that in March, for my first time reporting, I should appear in person. Is this customary or mandatory? It was such a hassle getting there and getting back that if not absolutely necessary, I would prefer to do it by mail.

Thanks to everyone again for all your help. I now have a 12-month extension in hand and I can leave the country as many times as I can find the pennies to do so within the period!!

Do you live in Lopburi? If so, I believe the 90-Day reports are filed at your local office. Wow, spending a whole day to do an annual extension really sucks but at least you got it done and you're now good for a year. If you have a smartphone, maybe use one of the taxi-riding apps when you find yourself stranded in an out of the way location and in need of a cab. I recommend Grab Taxi.

I went with the money (800,000Bt) in the bank route and they still jerked me around.

I deposited 900,000Bt. and got the banker to write a certificate. The certificate said 900,000Bt.

Then I withdrew 10,000Bt. for my usual expenses. My Bank Book now showed 890,000Bt.

Still 90,000Bt over the required amount.

But noooo...The Immigration Official saw the bank letter and the bank book didn't match exactly.

NO VISA!

I tried to explain I exceeded the required amount............The bonehead made me go back to the bank and get a letter that matched the bank book EXACTLY!

Now I just go with the US Embassy letter that requires ZERO proof.

Dumb.

The bank book has to show the same balance as the bank letter.

You should've updated the book.

This has been the rule for years.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up about the taxi app, OMGImInPattaya.

I will definitely download it. I live in BKK now but in September I was living in Sing Buri. When I wanted to determine what I needed to do so I can stay here, that is what the Lop Buri Immigration office said. And they are like pit bulls in that office. From what I could overhear, those officers seem to have an axe to grind! Totally different environment in BKK.

Thankfully.

Still would like to know if I need to show up in person for the first 90 day reporting or if I can do it by mail. Mandatory to show up or not?

Should this be a separate post?

Thanks much.

There is no requirement to show up in person for the first 90 day report.

Thanks for the heads up about the taxi app, OMGImInPattaya.

I will definitely download it. I live in BKK now but in September I was living in Sing Buri. When I wanted to determine what I needed to do so I can stay here, that is what the Lop Buri Immigration office said. And they are like pit bulls in that office. From what I could overhear, those officers seem to have an axe to grind! Totally different environment in BKK.

Thankfully.

Good to hear. I'm sure those immigration officers working the retirement extension desks get a little envious of seeing dozens of foreigners coming in everyday and reporting retirement income at least 66,000 baht per month when their actual working salary is probably only around 25k or thereabouts (not including any "incidentals"). That could cause one to carry around a pretty big axe on their shoulder :)

If you want a quick review and primer on the Grab Taxi app, look up my recent post on it in the Bangkok sub-forum.