Street cobbler ruins $240 boots

Tasty Food

This may be my own fault for being too lazy to polish my own shoes or for not using one of the trusted polish boys who you only ever see by luck as they are mobile, but I handed this Nana vendor my tan Loake Chelsea boots and he applied two liquids (rather clumsily and missing parts of the crevice between the leather and the sole) - the first was a foamy pinkish liquid, the second was a milky one and now they look like they glazed red clay.

I didn't complain, having faith that he was a professional but I have to say that a day later I hate the result and they look considerably cheapened.

What exactly have I done and are they ruined?

I fear that the cobbler may have applied something that is used for budget shoes.

I hate to sound like a snob but these were a pair I had treated myself to for my birthday earlier this year.

Pls advise.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Usually the street polishers do an excellent job and I always tip.

I am amazed that a professional in the field of shoes would casually destroy a pair by varnishing them.

Is there anything I can do? I want to establish if the shoes are ruined and if the treatment is temporary.

They look like Kiwi wax would simply slide off and not penetrate the leather.

So without being able to tell me directly, I'm having to assume the boots are now f***ed beyond repair?

Anything positive to add?

Yes...

Change your username immediately from Tasty Food to Tasty Foot.

Edited by JingerBen
  • Like 1

So without being able to tell me directly, I'm having to assume the boots are now f***ed beyond repair?

Why do you think they may be f'd beyond repair? If they are structurally OK then surely it's a re dye job that's required. An expert bookmaker should be able to restore them to their former glory.

They are Loakes imported from the UK.

Regarding a re-dye job, I don't think it's possible to make shoes lighter in colour.

Is anyone familiar with the process which has been applied but the cobbler? It's easy to knee-jerk response in a negative way to the locals but maybe he did know what he was doing..

I can live with them being darker, but it seems the process has rendered Kiwi wax useless.

Perhaps it wears off... Perhaps it's good for the leather. I came here to find out from somebody who KNOWS from expperience.

• Like 1

I had a pair of Timberland suede desert boots , I gave them to a shoe cleaner in Malaysa to get them done properly and they came back Buck skin. Bought all the brushes and cleaner myself now, I take no chances with my shoes or my hair these days

Try scrubbing an small area with a scrub brush & saddle soap.

If that doesn't work try scrubbing with a brush and a strong detergent.

If that doesn't work try acetone.

Let them dry and see how they look.

You may or may not have to dye them. If it looks like they'll need to by dyed, dye them before you wax them.

I hadn't let anyone polish my shoes for 10 years and a coworker talked me into it while we were in Mumbai. Big mistake,

• Like 1

Possibly you assume correct .... go buy some polish that looks a good colour and give em a shine ....coffee1.gif

next time tell them ' sorry.. these are my already ruined $240 chelsea boots ' cheesy.gif