Latest small SUV's.. Honda HR-V vs Mazda CX-3 ?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mazda styled the 3 with the A pillars further back to give a little of the long bonnet look of BMW / Mercedes sedans.

The alternative cab forward styling of many Japanese FWD sedans makes the bonnet shorter but the distance between the passengers and the front bumper is not much different for the same size car.

Test driving a CX3 on Tuesday. post-246870-14538920741809_thumb.jpgpost-246870-14538920941875_thumb.jpgpost-246870-1453892104782_thumb.jpgpost-246870-14538921139077_thumb.jpgpost-246870-14538921243658_thumb.jpg

This was the top spec petrol model and cabin quality and materials did feel a cut above the Mazda 3. Pics don't do it justice. The driving position was good, lots of space above my head but my head was quite close to the side window( not as bad as the Mazda 2). Rear room was tight as you can see. Boot was shallow and much smaller than HRV. A Mazda 3 feels much wider inside too.

Spec difference to the top spec HRV, No power seats, sunroof or paddle shift. But it has a head up display. But I really liked the interior esp the alcantara trim on seats and door panels. The alloys looked superb too. In black the CX3 looks ace.

Price for top spec petrol was 1,045,000 and they gave an instant 15k off. I reckon I cd get them down a lot more, so in effect the Mazda is 20k cheaper the similar spec HRV E Limited

Edited by Cook my sock

Test driving a CX3 on Tuesday. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453892073.490861.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453892093.470557.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453892104.087498.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453892113.205157.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453892123.622219.jpg

This was the top spec petrol model and cabin quality and materials did feel a cut above the Mazda 3. Pics don't do it justice. The driving position was good, lots of space above my head but my head was quite close to the side window( not as bad as the Mazda 2). Rear room was tight as you can see. Boot was shallow and much smaller than HRV. A Mazda 3 feels much wider inside too.

Spec difference to the top spec HRV, No power seats, sunroof or paddle shift. But it has a head up display. But I really liked the interior esp the alcantara trim on seats and door panels. The alloys looked superb too. In black the CX3 looks ace.

Price for top spec petrol was 1,045,000 and they gave an instant 15k off. I reckon I cd get them down a lot more, so in effect the Mazda is 20k cheaper the similar spec HRV E Limited

I drive an X5 and I looked on at the CX3 the other day with a little lust... IMO its a really good looking car... something which may very well have tempted me...

I chose the BMW X5 as not a lot else attracted me last year - Now we have the Explorer and CX3 - I may have well chosen differently...

Ace of pop, do you use eco mode?

Im finding that e85 and eco mode work a lot better than e85 and no eco mode. 1000km on e85 avg speed of 25kph 9.6km/l compared to e10-91 @ 11km/l same avg speed. Saving money and getting better performance. 0-40 without flooring it is bpraman 2-3secs

Edited by bearpolar

Test driving a CX3 on Tuesday.

Yes agree with you.

Habdeling Mazda good.

Quality cabin its good.

Seats have perforation.

In my opinion power seats not big deal if only one driver.

but in back seat it not for tall people place.

So if no need place at back seats .if like "filling car" handling its best what can get in Thailand for this is money SUV.

Its good choice .

Cx3 would make sense @850k for top model as it would be in competition with ford's. Ford's just as small yet way cheaper inside and looks a lot uglier.

It's interesting that Mazda and Honda opted to raise the ante to 1 million for a small SUV/Crossover, instead of playing in that 850k segment occupied by Nissan Juke and Ford Ecosport. Granted those are better vehicles, but not worth that much, and Nissan and Ford were the first movers in Thailand, therefore, already dated.

Agreed, Ford made the interior hard plastics and not upmarket, except for the leather seats, but I still think it retains a higher riding, traditional boxy SUV look, which some people prefer, including me. The Ford is an excellent vehicle though, quieter inside on the road, better riding, and excellent build quality, no issues or annoyances, etc.. I bought one of the first out in Thailand first of 2014. I consider it a Mini-SUV, not a small crossover.

Today, Honda are trying to place that Micro-crossover BRV at the Ecosport price point, and trying to position the BRV in the same price range as the Juke and Ecosport. We'll see if they succeed.

If Mazda didn't price it aimed at the HRV then people wouldn't compare it to the HRV. Its a good car but it's no SUV

Very true, but neither is the HRV.

Originally SUV's were built on pickup chassis and components, like the Ford Explorer and the Thai PPVs like the Everest, PJS etc.

Crossovers copied the style but used car components, like the CRV, Ford Escape, Nissan X-Trail etc.

The baby Cross overs (HRV, CX-3, Ecosport, XV, X1, GLA etc) are merging back closer to cars. They are smaller, lower, mostly don't have 4WD so they are basically high riding hatchbacks. Nothing wrong with that but I would not call any of them SUV's.

Honda wont like this. They dont fit Clonkers in anything here ,hence a loyal following.If the others had the brains to fit a nice V6 powerfull benzine lump in their SUVs the CRV would die out unless they V6ed it. The V6 Yank SUVS are so much better price wise imo.thumbsup.gif

Cx3 would make sense @850k for top model as it would be in competition with ford's. Ford's just as small yet way cheaper inside and looks a lot uglier.

It's interesting that Mazda and Honda opted to raise the ante to 1 million for a small SUV/Crossover, instead of playing in that 850k segment occupied by Nissan Juke and Ford Ecosport. Granted those are better vehicles, but not worth that much, and Nissan and Ford were the first movers in Thailand, therefore, already dated.

Agreed, Ford made the interior hard plastics and not upmarket, except for the leather seats, but I still think it retains a higher riding, traditional boxy SUV look, which some people prefer, including me. The Ford is an excellent vehicle though, quieter inside on the road, better riding, and excellent build quality, no issues or annoyances, etc.. I bought one of the first out in Thailand first of 2014. I consider it a Mini-SUV, not a small crossover.

Today, Honda are trying to place that Micro-crossover BRV at the Ecosport price point, and trying to position the BRV in the same price range as the Juke and Ecosport. We'll see if they succeed.

The facelift should be arriving to the Ecosport before too long, which supposedly irons out some of the crappiness of the original model. Hopefully they've fitted adult sized sets in the front in the MKII.

Honda wont like this. They dont fit Clonkers in anything here ,hence a loyal following.If the others had the brains to fit a nice V6 powerfull benzine lump in their SUVs the CRV would die out unless they V6ed it. The V6 Yank SUVS are so much better price wise imo.thumbsup.gif

The V6 versions of the previous PJS and Ford escape did not sell particularly well. Unfortunately it seems Thai buyers are not that impressed with V6 SUVs.

The facelift should be arriving to the Ecosport before too long, which supposedly irons out some of the crappiness of the original model. Hopefully they've fitted adult sized sets in the front in the MKII.
I think that the front end looks okay ... it's the back end that they need to fix ...