Diesel Cars.

Ace of Pop

I heard this on some UK radio news earlier today. I was under the impression that modern diesels were potentially cleaner than gasoline engines. Something to do with the thermal efficiency or something of diesel compared to gasoline. I'll have to do some research - its is quite possible I'm completely wrong...

• Like 1

They don't use catalytic converters?

Maybe it just gives the diesel a "hard shell" finish......but OK in the US......

Fink they do, or something similar....

simliar.

They use a DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst).... this does not remove any NOx.

I heard this on some UK radio news earlier today. I was under the impression that modern diesels were potentially cleaner than gasoline engines. Something to do with the thermal efficiency or something of diesel compared to gasoline. I'll have to do some research - its is quite possible I'm completely wrong...

My chum in London "had" a big old diesel powered caravanette, he was told he had to fit some fancy filtration system in the exhaust which would have cost more than the ride was worth.

Thankfully for him somebody stole it.........thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Banned in Cities.......... maybe there going to make mega car parks outside Cities, then you use Electric Bus/Trams or electric cars in the City ??

What about all the Diesel Buses. Trucks and thousands of delivery Vans. ?

As far as I remember its not about NO2, CO2 but about fine dust particles.

There is a crazy strict EU order about reducing dust particles in cities.

Millions of EUR have been sunk for new car category stickers, new zoning signs exlcuding many cars/trucks from city traffic, lot of bureaucracy for exception permits etc.

This has started years ago in Berlin.

They tried to measure the effect of all the effort, result: NONE!

Another EU bureaucratic fart.

More to come.

I always remember this when I drive here on the highway watching trucks darken the sky with their fume/dust tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

That's my understanding as well, but not from EU so really have no input. I know diesels are far more popular over there partly for that reason and their fuel efficiency, they are noisier but not by much where modern cars are concerned but maybe it's also about noise pollution?

I read there were plans to scrap some Cars,even newish ones .German reporter said.The Gov told us to Buy B.M Benz Diesels, now they say we will scrap them SAP. The World gone mad with these tree huggers.

If that's the case I'm seeing some business opportunities for someone from there that would maybe like to export a few nice cars for sale stateside and other locations outside of Europe, anyone up for an investment with a potentially massive ROI?

Then they will ban the Wind for blowing the Fumes from the Mega Parking Lot into the Cities.Do these Folks get Paid to dream up this nonsense.Seems they are fond of Ganja Fumes.sad.png

Unfortunately they do, and get voted into office by majority as well. coffee1.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

Wish they'd ban them in Bangkok. I never suffer from any asthma like symptoms or respiratory problems ...... except every damned time I stay in Bangkok. Doc says sure its the poor air quality caused by diesel exhaust particulate, I fully agree with him.

• Like 2

Wish they'd ban them in Bangkok. I never suffer from any asthma like symptoms or respiratory problems ...... except every damned time I stay in Bangkok. Doc says sure its the poor air quality caused by diesel exhaust particulate, I fully agree with him.

Touch wood - my lungs OK. But I find that after 2 or 3 hours in Bangkok my skin is so oily and dirty, can just imagine what I am breathing.

You drive tractor-trailers by the look of your avatar ?

What a funny thing to say Seedy avatar wise,so i drive a team of Penguins and Ben Q a Dog Sleigh. and Willcopops Drives us all Mad.biggrin.png

Do it myself - why I asked.

Been accused of driving people crazy too, but don't believe it !!

• Like 1

You know I had big problems there too and never really considered that, but now that you menition it..

Been visiting 12 years now. Years back it was only occasionally I was bothered, but now it seems to be every time I go near the place. Yet in that time the air quality in Bkk has allegedly been improved a lot. The wind pipe becomes irritated and restricts and I get a terrible dry cough which is worse on exertion like climbing stairs or when you lie down to sleep. Its most unpleasant, needs antibiotics to shift it and takes weeks to clear up altogether.

382601244_39abf7f5a3.jpg

Touch wood - my lungs OK. But I find that after 2 or 3 hours in Bangkok my skin is so oily and dirty, can just imagine what I am breathing.

You drive tractor-trailers by the look of your avatar ?

Driven them on & off for over 20 years, not for the last 5 though. Going to have go back out and do a bit more next year for financial reasons sad.png

Edited by Lancashirelad

Now the E.U have another silly idea. Tractor Trailer/Truck cabs will be made obsolete soon unless they are modified with a new body so that the Driver can see the Motorcycle/Bike /Pedestrian more clearly as he runs em over.Cant other road users see the Bloody Great Things.coffee1.gifsad.png