A Personal Story – With A Warning For Almost Everyone - Update

David48

Remedy the problem before it starts. Fly Busso Class....

Sorry to hear of your ailment.....I can imagine the pain.

yes... if possible of course, it is what I have done last time Paris Kuala Lumpur in business class only for one reason: scared of DVT

Sorry also to hear your story David, choak dee kap wink.png

Now, it's close to the peak travelling season ... a lot of long haul flights to Thailand are under-way or planned.

I never planned to have a DVT.

Indeed, when I got this one ... I was in Premium Economy Class ... extra leg-room.

I'd had 1 beer ... repeat, 1 beer. It was an overnight flight.

But, having a window seat, I never got up ... I didn't need to.

Never the less .. I got a DVT.

Now ... sometimes, it hits you like a Heart Attack ... mine didn't.

About a week later, after the flight, when I was due to play Squash for the Club ... it was a Tuesday.

A member emailed me ... David, can you play twice tonight ... someone has pulled out.

Sure, I replied ... after a holiday in Thailand ... I need the run.

Well, a few hours later, I developed a 'tightness' in my leg. Closest I can describe is it's like a mild toothache in the leg.

sort of all over ... but no specific spot.

This was a week after I returned home.

It sneaks up on you.

Since returning home, I've had the full gamut of Blood Tests.

Nothing to show I have no pre-disposition to blood clots.

Nothing hereditary ... no 'Sticky Blood'.

I was just 'un-lucky'.

So, again ... why now.

I don't want anyone to go through what I did ... and still do.

Warfin is no fun.

Clexain Injections into the Stomach are no fun.

Compression stockings ... even those socks which are available are great.

Alcohol is not good. Red wine is OK in moderate doses.

An Aspirin Tablet helps.

The socks/compression stockings are best.

Just my friendly advice as a patient who has had this, come out the other side ... but not yet, fully recovered.

I still take the Warfin and occasionally, when my leg is having a bad day ... I have to roll the stocking on.

My doctor sent me across the street to the hospital ten years ago, and unlike several previous trips, this time I had multiple DVT in my thigh. I did have sticky blood according to about 30 tests (heredity) so I have continued on warfarin without incident. I do also wear socks on the 27 hour long flights to my part of the US. My research shows DVT is very common on long flights, but most clots break up on their own without swelling in the legs. It is dangerous, yet it is also very difficult to walk around on flights regardless of which class you are in (we have been in all of them). Exercise, warfarin, and compression stockings, and as much walking before the flight, during the flight, and a bit of prayer seems to work.

but"Take the advice you are given on the aircraft, get up and walk around, drink plenty of water, and in future, trust me, I'll be wearing flight socks. I suppose I'm lucky that the Doctors have caught it relatively early, DVT's can be extremely serious and once you have suffered from one they can recur quite easily"

Good advice indeed, I have been told this before but I'm not sure where I heard it.....I cannot recall however every being told this on the actual aircraft by the crew....good idea if it was as a reminder though.

Alcohol works as a blood thinning agent quite well.

No that is not true. Alcohol dehydrates you and leves you vulnerable to blood clots ETC. Hydration and constant evaluation of your health status is required to avoid deep vein thrombosis.As we age we also become more suseptable to this disease. smile.png

• Like 2

Some good advice here, didn't realise the importance of keeping hydrated. Will have to have a few less beers at the airport. I always take an aisle seat. Eva air let you reserve your seat up to 100 days before flying so it's easy to get one. Don't have to disturb anyone for a walk around.

Now, it's close to the peak travelling season ... a lot of long haul flights to Thailand are under-way or planned.

Indeed, when I got this one ... I was in Premium Economy Class ... extra leg-room.

About a week later, after the flight, when I was due to play Squash for the Club ... it was a Tuesday.

A member emailed me ... David, can you play twice tonight ... someone has pulled out.

Well, a few hours later, I developed a 'tightness' in my leg. Closest I can describe is it's like a mild toothache in the leg.

It sneaks up on you.

I was just 'un-lucky'.

So, again ... why now.

Warfin is no fun.

An Aspirin Tablet helps.

Just my friendly advice as a patient who has had this, come out the other side ... but not yet, fully recovered.

I still take the Warfin and occasionally, when my leg is having a bad day ... I have to roll the stocking on.

I am always confused when I read an aspirin helps, does a paracetamol help or does it have to be aspirin?

I walk for almost the entire time while at an airport waiting to change planes...make a point of getting up and walking to the toilet area while in flight...which seems to annoy my fellow travelers that have to get up to let me out of my seat...but what-the-hey...I am looking out for my general health...

Walking every chance one gets while doing air travel is especially important in this day and age...the seats are more crammed into the aircraft...less leg room and more discomfort...

Walk...walk...walk

• Like 1

An Aspirin Tablet helps.

I am always confused when I read an aspirin helps, does a paracetamol help or does it have to be aspirin?

I only read about Aspirin ... never a mention of Paracetamol.

From Wiki ... "In contrast to aspirin, paracetamol does not prevent blood from clotting (it is not an antithrombotic)"

If you are worried pop an aspirin before the flight.

but not if you are taking warfarin already.....

Agreed.

Warfarin is a stand alone drug. Asprin and Warfarin are not complementary.

The 'INR' reading (basically how thin your blood is) can be affected by many things.

Last week, my INR was 1.9 on 4mg ... today, it was 3.1 on 5 mg.

Was it the increase in dosage of 20% which increased the INR by almost 100%?

Maybe not.

I've got a sore knee ... so I'm taking a Fish Oil tablet to assist and apparently, that affects the drugs performance.

So, any change of drug/diet routine, if you are on Warfarin should be monitored to identify the effects.

It's not scary, it's not complicated ... but you do need to be mindfull of it.

Have you ever thought of taking some natural treatment?

These things work, IF you find the correct practitioner.

I myself experienced a natural cure personally for a knee problem, but not for DVT.

Give it a try, its worth it.

They say you should pop an aspirin a day at least a week before the flight.

I pop an aspirin everyday, anyway.

Wouldn't it hurt your stomach?

The medical fraternity is out on that question.

From what I've read ... some people report an advers condition ... sometimes expressed as an irritability, sometimes medically a 'thinning' of the stomachs wall lining.

Apparently, Aspirin does have some beneficial long term effects, as well as some potential dangers.

If you are worried pop an aspirin before the flight.

but not if you are taking warfarin already.....

Agreed.

Warfarin is a stand alone drug. Asprin and Warfarin are not complementary.

The 'INR' reading (basically how thin your blood is) can be affected by many things.

Last week, my INR was 1.9 on 4mg ... today, it was 3.1 on 5 mg.

Was it the increase in dosage of 20% which increased the INR by almost 100%?

Maybe not.

I've got a sore knee ... so I'm taking a Fish Oil tablet to assist and apparently, that affects the drugs performance.

So, any change of drug/diet routine, if you are on Warfarin should be monitored to identify the effects.

It's not scary, it's not complicated ... but you do need to be mindfull of it.

I've heard Fish Oil thins the blood.

2010 we came back to Thailand after a month in UK, icould hardly get my shoes on, 2 weeks later i had severly swollen feet and legs,an ECG and blood test showed endema and heavy sticky blood,it was so bad i could only walk 10 paces, stairs were a nightmare, in 2 months mrs had me booked in at 4 different hospitals, none of which really helped, the last one got me on warfarin, i felt even worse, dizzy spells,double vision,heart palpatations, stomach upsets toothache, the works, so after a bit of web time, i stopped this warfarin and took asperin 81mg, after a week i felt better, but the water retention in legs persisted, i raised my feet in bed and afternoons would lay down reading with raised legs,, this helped a bit, the special elastic socks we couldnt get anywhere, not even an airport, my good friend sent 2 pairs from UK, now i could walk without the fear of more swelling,

Things were looking up. but leaving them off for 2 days and the swelling was back, i tried drinking more water, but once water is off-cold it chokes me, a frnd said put ice in your beer, i did this,against all my beliefs, but since [2 years now] i havent had swollen feet,

I had a full medical 4 months ago, [62 yo] ECG normal, blood test good for age, chest x-ray clear [im a smoker]

to conclude, my daily intake of medicine is 25mg beta blocker, 2/3 raw garlic cloves, [eaten alone] 3 cod liver oil tablets and the 81mg asiprin, oh yes, and some beer and ice,,,,

^^ The swelling in the legs ... I just say it feels 'tight' ... and it's an uncomfortable feeling comes from the blood not being able to get back to the heart properly.

The 'one way' valves in the leg get damaged and allow some of the blood to seep back down into the lower areas of the leg.

Cure?

Lying down with leg elevation.

Compression stockings.

Sometimes my leg feels tight .. more in Summer then winter (Don't know why) ... wearing the compression stocking does the trick for me.

Just a personal observation.

When I first had the DVT ... I used to sleep with the compression bandage on ... and sometimes had some severe leg cramps.

But that could just be me ... after all, we are individuals.

• Like 1

It sneaks up on you.

I was just 'un-lucky'.

So, again ... why now.

Warfin is no fun.

An Aspirin Tablet helps.

David,any idea where to get compression socks in Thailand.I looked around a few chemists but couldn't find any.I am going on a long flight soon and your making me paranoid.

Thats right David, i tried wearing them when elevated, after 3 nights, of feet higher than heart, with com socks on it must have been quite a job for my old ticker to pump blood up there, so just sitting and walking is fine,,

I used to ignore the warnings, too, but then I knew someone who had the same problem as the OP. Now I actually do those exercises they advise and then get up, walk and even do stretches like I would when I was playing sports. I do that about once an hour or two hours. It looks a little ridiculous, I guess, but I actually feel better after a long flight than in the days when I would sit down for hours on end.

I exercise on the plane as well,and the only one.

Best thing to do, check with your doctor. This internet self prescribing can do harm. You can get low dose aspirin across the counter but even with that some people have to be careful. Your doc will know if it's suitable for you. People I know on low dose aspirin prescribed by a doctor get the coated type that is easier on the stomach lining. People with stuff like stomach ulcer problems shouldn't use aspirin but your doc will know.

• Like 1

An Aspirin Tablet helps.

I only read about Aspirin ... never a mention of Paracetamol.

From Wiki ... "In contrast to aspirin, paracetamol does not prevent blood from clotting (it is not an antithrombotic)"

Acetyl salicylic acid - and that is Asperin (a trademark from Beyer, owner the original patent fra 1897). Any tablet - other brands - with acetyl salicylic acid will work. Paracetamol and ibuprofen don't...

Where to buy the socks.

Airport travel shop.

Airport shop "Compression Stockings" are probably better than nothing but they will not have nearly the effectiveness of properly constructed and fitted, high quality stockings. I called the BNH pharmacy out of curiosity today and they do stock them.

Lets not focus 100% on DVT & flying...Sitting in a chair for long periods, especially household type "kitchen" chairs that can also compresses leg veins can cause leg and foot swelling and DVT.

I was spending hours everyday sitting in such a chair while on my computer, sometimes loosing track of time. It gave me quite a start when I realized I could not see the bones in my feet...very swollen, legs also. I laid down with my feet up and it cleared in a few hours but it was a wake-up call. I purchased a well fitting desk chair and make sure to periodically get up and take a walk, sitting no more than an hour at a time.

The swelling has not returned since.

A lot of interesting information posted.

But lets get to the root cause - which is not moving for long periods.

Everyone knows the heart pumps the blood through the arteries including down to the legs.

The heart needs a bit of help to overcome gravity as the blood tries to flow back up from the legs to the heart.

As David mentioned there are one way valves in the veins to assist.

The other major form of assistance is the muscles in the leg - as they move they help "pump" the blood.

When we don't move our legs for extended periods the blood doesn't move as effectively and can pool which in turn can give rise to thrombosis.

In short - do the leg exercises and walk around the cabin from time to time.

Even the occupational experts in industry now tell you to take a break from sitting at a computer and go for a walk every hour for exactly the same reason.

Ever wondered why people toss and turn when sleeping? There is a (gland? nerve centre?don't know the correct term - maybe software in the brain?) in the body that makes us unconsciously do this to help stop the blood pooling.

Ain't nature grand?

• Like 2

David,any idea where to get compression socks in Thailand.I looked around a few chemists but couldn't find any.I am going on a long flight soon and your making me paranoid.

I've never bought them in Thailand, but the guys do say that the shops at the Airport sell them.

The large Pharmacy / Chemists / Drug Stores near the a Hospital are usually a good option.

louse1953 - If you do buy them, then please come back and report where you bought them, so that others can have confidence.

There have been a few threads on them ...

Pattaya - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/195477-where-to-buy-compression-stockings/

Chiang Mai - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647187-compression-socksstockings/

General - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/658834-compression-stockings/ and

Don't be paranoid ... the majority of people don't get DVT's.