obtaining a re-entry permit at immigration

watgate

I have to go to chiang mai immigration to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement and am not holding out much hope that after getting my extension of stay I will also be able to get a single re-entry permit to considering the immigration office is a zoo. In the unlikely event that I am, what exactly is needed to obtain a re-entry permit at immigrations besides my passport, a photo, the application form? Lastly, upon entering Thailand this past October at Bangkok airport ,I was given a 90-day permission to stay stamp in my passport. I didn't notice until I had left the immigration desk at the airport that the last line of the stamp which says signature was blank. My concern is there any possibility of getting a "ball buster" at chiang mai immigration,or at the immigration desk at chiang mai airport, if I decide to go there for my re-entry permit,who might tell me "sorry you have to go to Bangkok airport to get a signature on your initial 90 permitted to stay stamp before we can process your request" here in chiang mai? In looking at other stamps in my passbook, they are mostly illegible squiggly entries on the signature line of other stamps I have gotten before. Is this a non-issue or should I just put a little illegible squiggly on the blank signature line? I am trying to avoid being told sorry you have to go to Survanhumi airport in Bangkok.

Edited by watgate

Re entry was as you say.. passport (copy back / photo page, entry card, current entry stamp, current extension.. I always also copy the initial visa the extension is based on but doesnt often seem wanted.. 2 bahts worth of insurance).. The form, the 6x4 photo and the money 1000b or 3800..

I would never 'add a squiggle' unless I really felt the risk was essential.. They tend to go bananas about people doing any modifying to their stamps.. I think they also know their own officers are pretty lackadaisical.. So a incorrect stamp or badly done one isnt the first..

I also doubt you will get both extension and re-entry (unless you go grab a ticket at the right estimated time for after the extension) in one day.. You can get a re-entry at the airport, as you need it, when you fly out.. Just add 15 mins to your check in time..

I know it is silly but you may indeed have to go to Bangkok.

I had a 60 day triple entry the second time I came to Thailand. My second entry I got in MaiSai. I did not check until I got home but they had only allowed me 30 days. I went over to immigration and they told me I would have to go to Mai Sai to have it fixed. Now I am not saying that is the going policy it is just what happened to me once. Also it was years ago. In all my otherdealings with them I have doner here in Chiang Mai and found them to be very understanding and easy to get along with.

Of course I never go in with the attitude this is what you should do. You are doing it all wrong. I am polite and dress in the same clothes I dress in every where I go in other words I don't dress up for it. Some people do I don't think they even notice.

After reading the endless posts re visas etc I am still not totally convinced that a re entry permit can be obtained at the airport prior to flying out. Can someone please catagorically state that this is the case for all international flights and if possible refer me to the official source of this procedure. If this is a fact, then I have to wonder why so many people requiring a re entry permit add, unnecessarily, to the chaos at the Immigration Office. Is it because of the uncertainty that they might turn up and find it is not the case thus causing a major disruption to their holiday plans, flights, hotels etc?

Many thanks,

TB

After reading the endless posts re visas etc I am still not totally convinced that a re entry permit can be obtained at the airport prior to flying out. Can someone please catagorically state that this is the case for all international flights and if possible refer me to the official source of this procedure. If this is a fact, then I have to wonder why so many people requiring a re entry permit add, unnecessarily, to the chaos at the Immigration Office. Is it because of the uncertainty that they might turn up and find it is not the case thus causing a major disruption to their holiday plans, flights, hotels etc?

Many thanks,

TB

The Re-entry permit desk and signs are visible and there have been numerous posts confirming the process at the airport is straightforward. But if you're sceptical just get it from Immigration or get a Multi.

CNX process re-entry permits at international departures. Require passport/visa size photo and boarding pass.

BKK [suvanabhumi] have an excellent service [with 200BT fee] which includes photo taken and form filling.

I asume DMK [Don Muang] have similar service but I have no detail.

Many thanks,

TB

100% in operation.. its there for precisely this purpose in the international departures area..

Why people do it another way ?? If your leaving at land borders the airport option doesnt exactly help you.

Many thanks gents, gives me a lot more confidence to do it that way, approximately how long should I allow for completing the process?

Multiple re-entry permit at CNX took me less than 10 mins. You have to have a boarding pass and be leaving from the International Departures side. Window is located on the left after security check and before Passport Control.

So you have to be actually leaving Thailand to get the re-entry permit. I can't go down to the airport and get a re-entry permit now because I am not leaving until March.I have to wait until I am actually departing Thailand to get one. Correct?

So you have to be actually leaving Thailand to get the re-entry permit. I can't go down to the airport and get a re-entry permit now because I am not leaving until March.I have to wait until I am actually departing Thailand to get one. Correct?

You need boarding pass in hand to get one at the airport. Pretty sure you can obtain one at the Immigration Office at any time.

Edited by Diplomatico

You need boarding pass in hand to get one at the airport. Pretty sure you can obtain one at the Immigration Office at any time.

Yes. You can get one any time at Immigration but at the airport you need to have checked in.

The counter for getting a re-entry permit is in operation any time they are handling international check-ins. These are the same staff people who take in the fines for overstays. You know they aren't going to let someone check-in for a flight who is on overstay without collecting their fine!

For me, the biggest shortcoming with planning to get a re-entry permit at the airport is the fact that you can't do it in advance. You have to have your boarding pass and be checked in for the flight. In Chiang Mai, the counter is just to the left of the security screen and just before the passport check. I don't know about others, but there's always a gazillion things on my mind when I'm hustling to get on an international flight (did we close the windows in the condo? are the medications in our carry-on luggage? where are the boarding passes for our connecting flights, etc.) that I'm afraid I'd sail on thru the security and passport check without actually buying a re-entry permit.

Edited by NancyL

Maybe I'm confused but I'm under the impression that when you get an extension of stay that the extension of stay for

1900 baht is good for extending for a year and one re-entry and the other 3800 baht extension is good for extending for a year and multiple re-entries.

Please advise if you know for sure that this is not accurate. I'm leaving in January and I've been thinking my re-entry is

covered with my last 1900 baht extension.

Maybe I'm confused but I'm under the impression that when you get an extension of stay that the extension of stay for

1900 baht is good for extending for a year and one re-entry and the other 3800 baht extension is good for extending for a year and multiple re-entries.

Please advise if you know for sure that this is not accurate. I'm leaving in January and I've been thinking my re-entry is

you DO NOT get a 'free' reentry. You must pay for a single (1000) or multiple (3800). Edited by mikebike

No. If you want to leave the country you must purchase either a single re-entry permit for 1000 thb or a multiple re-entry permit for 3800 thb. This is in addition to the 1900 thb you paid for your annual extension.

Edited by Diplomatico

you DO NOT get a 'free' reentry. You must pay for a single (1900) or multiple (3800).

And furthermore if you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit then your current one year extension is cancelled on departure. The 1,900 baht extension does not cover any re-entry, you must apply for and pay for a re-entry permit. A single is 1,000 baht, multiple 3,800 baht.

you DO NOT get a 'free' reentry. You must pay for a single (1900) or multiple (3800).

And furthermore if you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit then your current one year extension is cancelled on departure. The 1,900 baht extension does not cover any re-entry, you must apply for and pay for a re-entry permit. A single is 1,000 baht, multiple 3,800 baht.

Thanks all for the info which now poses a new question. I'm leaving in January for 6 months until July 2015

and my current extension of stay expires in April. So how does this all work and what do I need to do in order to return and maintain my retirement visa / extension of stay status.

Thanks all for the info which now poses a new question. I'm leaving in January for 6 months until July 2015

and my current extension of stay expires in April. So how does this all work and what do I need to do in order to return and maintain my retirement visa / extension of stay status.

You have a very tricky situation. You must ask your local immigration office if you can renew your extension 3 months in advance. Might be possible, depends on the officer you talk to. Might be best you apply for a completely new visa in your home country and start a new one year extension when back in Thailand. I'm not sure, talk to Immigration better.

You have a very tricky situation. You must ask your local immigration office if you can renew your extension 3 months in advance. Might be possible, depends on the officer you talk to. Might be best you apply for a completely new visa in your home country and start a new one year extension when back in Thailand. I'm not sure, talk to Immigration better.

Dang... I will go talk to my local immigration, they are usually agreeable and easy to talk to. I sure don't want to

have to renew my Visa in the States, I don't live near an Embassy. Thanks for letting in some light, Darkside.

• Like 1

What form, document & photos do you need to take to the airport to get a single re-entry permit?

When I got my MRE at CNX, I took along my passport, arrival card, a 4x6 photo, and photocopies of the following: p/p information page, original visa page, latest entry stamp page, arrival card. Filled out the form at the window, paid 3800 thb. (I suspect - but do not know for certain - that if you only had the photo and passport, they would make copies for you of the other pages.)

Edited by Diplomatico

• 2 weeks later...

Dang... I will go talk to my local immigration, they are usually agreeable and easy to talk to. I sure don't want to

have to renew my Visa in the States, I don't live near an Embassy. Thanks for letting in some light, Darkside.

Well, I spoke to immigration here in Phitsanulok and there is good news and not so good news. The good is I will not need a re-entry permit but I cannot renew my extension of stay before I leave in January(not so good), you can only renew 45 days prior to my April expiration. So I save money on leaving but when I return in July I must go to Immigration at Chang Wattahana and convert my tourist visa to a 90 day non-imm O for 2k baht and then when that expires Phitsanulok Immigration will sell me a new one year extension of stay. All in all that is cheaper and less work than getting a new Visa in the states.

I will get a free notarized income affidavit from my US bank before returning to save having to go to the US Embassy in bkk and pay the ridiculous $50 notary fee for one here.

I'm pretty sure this is all correct having talked to immigration but if I am missing something please feel free to offer advice.

I'm not sure about other countries but back in the US in '06 and '07, before I started getting my extensions here, I was able to get an 1 year non-immigrant type O multiple entry visa twice from 2 different honorary consulates through the mail. Back then, only you needed to be was over 50 and no additional requirements. Some consulates at that time were still issuing them even though they were discontinued so I had to call a few of them. The only issue one might have is that you had to leave the country after every 3 months of stay.

• Like 1

Well, I spoke to immigration here in Phitsanulok and there is good news and not so good news. The good is I will not need a re-entry permit but I cannot renew my extension of stay before I leave in January(not so good), you can only renew 45 days prior to my April expiration. So I save money on leaving but when I return in July I must go to Immigration at Chang Wattahana and convert my tourist visa to a 90 day non-imm O for 2k baht and then when that expires Phitsanulok Immigration will sell me a new one year extension of stay. All in all that is cheaper and less work than getting a new Visa in the states.

I will get a free notarized income affidavit from my US bank before returning to save having to go to the US Embassy in bkk and pay the ridiculous $50 notary fee for one here.

I'm pretty sure this is all correct having talked to immigration but if I am missing something please feel free to offer advice.

I would recommend that you (if possible) get a Non Immigrant O visa in the U.S. If doing the conversion in Thailand, it will not be done in one day. After you apply for the conversion at Chaeng Wattana, you will have to come back 14 days later to pick it up.

Also, I am almost certain that Bangkok Immigration will not accept an income affidavit from your U.S. bank, only the one from the U.S. embassy in Thailand is accepted (or tax papers if income is from within Thailand). And remember, you will need two income letters one for the conversion and one for the extension, and while I don't know about Phitsanulok Immigration I would be very surprised if they accept anything other than the embassy letter.

Sophon

I'm not sure about other countries but back in the US in '06 and '07, before I started getting my extensions here, I was able to get an 1 year non-immigrant type O multiple entry visa twice from 2 different honorary consulates through the mail. Back then, only you needed to be was over 50 and no additional requirements. Some consulates at that time were still issuing them even though they were discontinued so I had to call a few of them. The only issue one might have is that you had to leave the country after every 3 months of stay.

Good suggestion, I will call the Honorary in Coral Gables where I originally got my Visa.

But leaving Thailand every 90 days from Phitsanulok is a non-starter for me.

I will have to investigate this further... I'll have 6 months stateside to get answers

Where do I find a list of Honorary Consulates in the US? I may need to call more than one like you.

Thanks BTW.